2007 DA

For the 07 age group specifically, next year is a pretty important recruiting year for an MLS Next team that isn't part of an MLS Academy. After U15, LOTS of Galaxy and LAFC Academy kids are cut (like a third or more of the rosters at least) and most of those players have invested too much and love it too much to go to what they perceive as not the top league. A few want to play HS, but not that many as far as I can tell. They get a lot of playing time and the MLS Next clubs often give them opportunities to practice and/or play up with their U17 or U19 teams. There's a reason they were let go, but most of them have talent and the clubs that get the best ones can get better. Those that don't still pick up some pretty good players let go by the clubs replacing them with former MLS Academy players.

While some of this effect was just the fact that the MLS Academies couldn't really do the normal shuffle of players during Covid, most of it is because the U15 players have to get squeezed onto the U17 rosters and they don't want to carry a lot of players considering most of the U16 players are going to sit on the bench.

For the 07 age group specifically, next year is a pretty important recruiting year for an MLS Next team that isn't part of an MLS Academy. After U15, LOTS of Galaxy and LAFC Academy kids are cut (like a third or more of the rosters at least) and most of those players have invested too much and love it too much to go to what they perceive as not the top league. A few want to play HS, but not that many as far as I can tell. They get a lot of playing time and the MLS Next clubs often give them opportunities to practice and/or play up with their U17 or U19 teams. There's a reason they were let go, but most of them have talent and the clubs that get the best ones can get better. Those that don't still pick up some pretty good players let go by the clubs replacing them with former MLS Academy players.

While some of this effect was just the fact that the MLS Academies couldn't really do the normal shuffle of players during Covid, most of it is because the U15 players have to get squeezed onto the U17 rosters and they don't want to carry a lot of players considering most of the U16 players are going to sit on the bench.
Curious, if the current U17 rosters are mostly 05’s, where will the MLS teams get their 06’s from for next year? Surely they don’t have a whole roster of 06’s that sat the bench the whole year? Do they recruit from outside the club again for the new season? Meaning non MLS clubs may see some of their 06’s leave while the 07’s might return?

Curious, if the current U17 rosters are mostly 05’s, where will the MLS teams get their 06’s from for next year? Surely they don’t have a whole roster of 06’s that sat the bench the whole year? Do they recruit from outside the club again for the new season? Meaning non MLS clubs may see some of their 06’s leave while the 07’s might return?

Most of the MLS U17 rosters are much bigger than they are at U15, with about half 05 and half 06. The 06 players generally sit a lot. Then next year, the 06s will play and the 07s will sit. Parents of olders talk about the lost year at U16 a lot. There are a few who leave at U16 and then come back at U17, but I don’t know how common it is.

Now I'm hearing that Legends, Pats and SD Surf will be added to the MLS Next Southwest Conference in order to have 20 teams and split them into two tiers just like the old DA. Does anybody have any solid knowledge of this?

Now I'm hearing that Legends, Pats and SD Surf will be added to the MLS Next Southwest Conference in order to have 20 teams and split them into two tiers just like the old DA. Does anybody have any solid knowledge of this?
I have heard nothing yet. It makes sense in a way. If you do by geography (Greater LA versus {Greater SD + Arizona}) you'd get 2 groups of roughly 10 each.

So who is going to the MLS Next Flex? Is this for "MLS teams" only?

Anyone hear about Sarasota for Memorial Day weekend? What is the difference between Flex and those going to Sarasota?

Texas is confirmed for playoffs.

So who is going to the MLS Next Flex? Is this for "MLS teams" only?

Anyone hear about Sarasota for Memorial Day weekend? What is the difference between Flex and those going to Sarasota?

Flex- Not heard anything about it.
Sarasota- Not heard anything about that but teams have games on 5/21 but not 5/28 so that's possible.

Does anyone have the list of boys attending the U-15 YNT training camp in Chula Vista this week? I heard 7 from LAFC are going.

Does anybody know what happened with the MLS Next Flex 2022: May 12-18 in Boyds, MD? It has disappeared from the link of Anthony Travel.

Back