Surf Cup

Arsenal brought their 02 03 odp stud's from last weekend's Surf Cup to play 03 Surf Cup, did this make a difference in their outcome this weekend? Blues had 2 03 Baker guest players, did this make a difference in their outcome this weekend?
Does one bring studs to Surf Cup to not make a difference in outcome? I think it's hilarious.

Arsenal brought their 02 03 odp stud's from last weekend's Surf Cup to play 03 Surf Cup, did this make a difference in their outcome this weekend? Blues had 2 03 Baker guest players, did this make a difference in their outcome this weekend? Congrats to Strikers for playing with 13-14 players all weekend and playing some incredible soccer! Congrats to Arsenal for winning Surf Cup, what an awesome accomplishment!
The only folks who should be concerned about guest players are the parents of the kids who get stuck on the bench.

I have no problem with clubs bringing inter-club team players to guest with sister squads - if the players are playing up within their club and have the chance to play against their true age-group from time-to-time...why not?!?

Those Arsenal girls that are playing up on their 02 team were incredible to watch - never had the chance this weekend to watch the Strikers team play...but that Asrenal team was something special to watch!!!

Again...we needed to play a better game to get the result we needed against them in the quarters, but we made a few mistakes and like good teams do - they made us pay for it.

Congratulations again to all those teams advancing out of group-stage and further - and Arsenal for taking home the hardware this year!

Arsenal brought their 02 03 odp stud's from last weekend's Surf Cup to play 03 Surf Cup, did this make a difference in their outcome this weekend? Blues had 2 03 Baker guest players, did this make a difference in their outcome this weekend? Congrats to Strikers for playing with 13-14 players all weekend and playing some incredible soccer! Congrats to Arsenal for winning Surf Cup, what an awesome accomplishment!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't every girl an 03 ( or younger, perhaps?).

As the parent of a girl who had to go up against Arsenal twice this weekend, I have to agree with Generik. The tougher the competition, so much the better. Surf Cup is the best of the best, so why should we hope for less? If they are 03s, they should be able to play in the 03 tournament. Arsenal's players are legit...Congrats to them. My daughter was glad to play against them, and can't wait for the next time!

With this being our last year to play during the Youngers weekend - I don't think we will see this again next year...except for maybe teams bringing up their 04 studs to play on their clubs sister team during our Olders weekend.

Again...no issue for me at all seeing these 02 rostered play-ups out there this weekend...it was incredible to see how talented this 03 birth-age truly is...and looking forward to the next chance to watch some of these girls do their thing out on the field!

Have no problem with RB borrowing from '02s playing up this time. At least they were from same same zip code (unlike when he borrowed Texas players to play in CRL last year). Look forward to rematch in ECNL league play.
It was a stacked age group this year; at the beginning thought a good 6 teams were legit contenders to go all the way. This flight and age group really did live up to "The Best of the Best" moniker. Well played by all DDs and hoping everyone left with some fond memories.

Guests or no guests, it was fun to see all the new teams play. Great to see many of you out there as well.

Have no problem with RB borrowing from '02s playing up this time. At least they were from same same zip code (unlike when he borrowed Texas players to play in CRL last year). Look forward to rematch in ECNL league play.
It was a stacked age group this year; at the beginning thought a good 6 teams were legit contenders to go all the way. This flight and age group really did live up to "The Best of the Best" moniker. Well played by all DDs and hoping everyone left with some fond memories.
I completely agree that there is nothing wrong with bringing in 7 guest players to win the "The Best of the Best" Surf Cup. RB was in it to win it at any cost and he got the results. I have the utmost respect for teams such as Strikers, Real SoCal, Surf, and the many more Teams that believed in their own players and TEAM to win or lose at Surf Cup! Kudos to all of the 03 Teams that battled it out there the last 2 weekends. Definitely a different vibe than in years past with some age groups having 4 tiers, but gotta bring in the $$$. Going to be a competitive 03 League Season!!

id like to see the full regulation time. for us it would be 35 minutes. teams travel far, pay a lot, and should get full games.

'The Best of the Best should be treated as such with full game time

You cannot do 35 minute halves when teams will be playing up to 6 games in a weekend. I have refereed tournaments that had longer halves and by the 5th or 6th game the players were exhausted. Very few tournaments play full length games. How do you think the U18/19's that I refereed last weekend felt about playing 30 minute halves? Your age group only got 10 minutes shaved off their normal time while the olders lost 15 minutes per half.

As many of you have already stated, having players play their "true" age group should not be viewed as a problem. I think it is a great option for these players to play "up" when possible and/or play "age appropriate" when possible. These girls want to play all the time anyway, so why limit when they can play?

As Generik states, the teams that used 03 players that are normally rostered to 02 teams will not be able to play with multiple teams next year. I am sure there will be an 04 or two that could be invited to play with an 03 team during the Olders weekend, but time will tell. I don't know how many 03 players played this weekend that are playing on 02 teams, but the two players I saw play with Blues and the two with Arsenal are difference makers. As long as guest players do not take away playing time from the "normal" team players, I am all for this practice.

Lastly, congrats to Arsenal on the finals win. That is a great team. I think many teams could have won the title and we all would have said, "yeah that seems right".

Did anyone hear/see how the 1-0 Finals game played-out?

Was it a nice goal (I guess any goal is nice - but you know what I mean)...when did the score happen...was it an evenly matched game...any controversy...etc.?

Sorry...for those of us that were booted from the tournament early...we like to live vicariously through those that were still able to use their 3-day parking pass!!!

Any insight or commentary from those that were there would be greatly appreciated....

Borrowed stud ('03 playing up on Arsenal '02 this coming year) was in right place at right time for a 10 footer as defending centerback battled her for the ball in the air for first score half way through first half. Said stud being ex-Surf player too provided the thick Hollywood irony there. Surf had multiple attempts for equalizer including a great save deflected onto crossbar/over the goal by Arsenal goalie. Surf also had a nice look/shot from right wing near the end of the game which went wide. Couple of muggings in the box weren't called, and overall the game was more direct/kickball than expected. Arsenal #2's speed and athleticism very impressive. High drama fitting of a Surf Cup final. Thought semifinal game vs Solar Chelsea (with a few gals fresh off National Championship in Texas last week vs GU13 Blues) had more visually appealing soccer with more possession play, coordinated passes/attacks. Final was more like track meet plus rugby.

2 players from Hawaii also guest played for RB & Arsenal this past weekend. We always love our friends from HI!

Back