Surf Cup

Congratulations to the teams that advanced to the semis today. Too bad our team is out and I don't get to go back today to watch those games.

I ended up watching a couple of Blues and Strikers games along the way (the top flight teams). I also watched Surf, Arsenal, D'Feeters, Solar Chelsea and a few other teams play from this flight. There are some great players from each and every one of the teams I watched. One of the things I noticed from all of these teams is the coordination of the defenses. There were some amazing strikers out there on display this weekend and rarely did I see a center back make a mistake. So many of these defenders were cool and calm under pressure.

A few other observations:
  1. I watched the Strikers v. Arsenal pool play game on Saturday. Shocked that I never heard RB screaming. My dd and her teammates were sitting next to the Strikers bench for this game and after the game I asked her if RB was screaming at his players. She said he was calm all game long. Maybe that's why they lost that game (j/k).
  2. I watched the Surf team play Beach Hodson. Very close game. Surf seems to need a real scoring threat, but their defense is legit. However, the goal that was scored by Surf was a thing of beauty.
  3. I watched the Blues v. D'Feeters game. Very close game. Very tense game too. The Blues parents seemed like they were on pins and needles all game long. Met a dad from the D'Feeters team during this game. Very nice guy.
  4. I think Strikers had the shortest bench from the teams that I saw. Only 2 subs. Congrats to the players for getting to the semis.
  5. Surf Cup continues to be the most well-run tourney out there. It seems like they have everything figured out before the tourney starts.
Best of luck to the 4 teams playing today.

Congratulations to the teams that advanced to the semis today. Too bad our team is out and I don't get to go back today to watch those games.

I ended up watching a couple of Blues and Strikers games along the way (the top flight teams). I also watched Surf, Arsenal, D'Feeters, Solar Chelsea and a few other teams play from this flight. There are some great players from each and every one of the teams I watched. One of the things I noticed from all of these teams is the coordination of the defenses. There were some amazing strikers out there on display this weekend and rarely did I see a center back make a mistake. So many of these defenders were cool and calm under pressure.

A few other observations:
  1. I watched the Strikers v. Arsenal pool play game on Saturday. Shocked that I never heard RB screaming. My dd and her teammates were sitting next to the Strikers bench for this game and after the game I asked her if RB was screaming at his players. She said he was calm all game long. Maybe that's why they lost that game (j/k).
  2. I watched the Surf team play Beach Hodson. Very close game. Surf seems to need a real scoring threat, but their defense is legit. However, the goal that was scored by Surf was a thing of beauty.
  3. I watched the Blues v. D'Feeters game. Very close game. Very tense game too. The Blues parents seemed like they were on pins and needles all game long. Met a dad from the D'Feeters team during this game. Very nice guy.
  4. I think Strikers had the shortest bench from the teams that I saw. Only 2 subs. Congrats to the players for getting to the semis.
  5. Surf Cup continues to be the most well-run tourney out there. It seems like they have everything figured out before the tourney starts.
Best of luck to the 4 teams playing today.
Great observations and congratulations to the Final 4! Well deserved! May the best Team win out with no ringers!! :)

Booey - agree with your assessment about these top-team defenses...absolutely incredible to watch!

That's the main reason (IMO) these semi-finalists advanced - not necessarily the goals for...but their goals against.

Look at all the clean-sheet games they posted!!!

One thing for sure my dd's team needs to work on if they want to compete at this level - I cannot remember our last shut-out victory...and at this level, you're just not going to advance far giving up goals to your opponents.

With that being said...some of the offensive players out there this weekend were really fun to watch...so creative, skilled, fast, and determined - is was fun to watch the "chess match" up top with coaches moving players around trying to find the right match-ups to get the ball in the back of the net!

I texted Mrs. IZ to ask that very thing. No details yet. Hopefully someone on site will clue us in. Not an unusual Surf final though, Surf and Arsenal.

Surf/Solar - went to pks. Surf wins 4-3 after a 1-1 regulation and ot game

Arsenal/Strikers - great game worthy of a finals. Arsenal went up 2-0 midway through 2nd. Strikers countered with 2 goals in 5 min stretch. Looked like game going to OT before Arsenal scored off direct kick scrum in box with 2 minutes to play. Great competitive game from both sides.

Arsenal/Strikers - great game worthy of a finals. Arsenal went up 2-0 midway through 2nd. Strikers countered with 2 goals in 5 min stretch. Looked like game going to OT before Arsenal scored off direct kick scrum in box with 2 minutes to play. Great competitive game from both sides.

Thanks for the insight. Does anyone have video of RB after Strikers scored the second (tying) goal? He may have been a little upset at that point.

Congrats to Arsenal and Surf making it to the finals.

Also congrats to LA Galaxy SB on the finals win!

Loco, will you be there for final? If so, you got point on that one too?

And by the way Arsenal, that is my first post in over a decade on this forum. Since I've decided to post, my club affiliation will become obvious to some. I hope that this isn't too frowned upon. I watched two of Arsenal's game and they are the real deal. The semi-final game against the Strikers was an incredible battle! Those girls fought like no other team I have seen once they scored late to try to get back in the game. Their second goal to equalize inspired them to fight harder. Their bench was lacking numbers, but this team made up for it with heart! The sideline is strong and supportive. I expect these girls to go far!

And by the way Arsenal, that is my first post in over a decade on this forum. Since I've decided to post, my club affiliation will become obvious to some. I hope that this isn't too frowned upon. I watched two of Arsenal's game and they are the real deal. The semi-final game against the Strikers was an incredible battle! Those girls fought like no other team I have seen once they scored late to try to get back in the game. Their second goal to equalize inspired them to fight harder. Their bench was lacking numbers, but this team made up for it with heart! The sideline is strong and supportive. I expect these girls to go far!
You are talking about strikers correct?
Arsenal had about 18 players during the walk out before the game.

Agree re the Strikers-Arsenal game. The second half especially was intense and went down to the wire. Both teams are full of fast and very skilled players top to bottom, with Arsenal completely loaded with talent on offense and the Strikers with some absolute rocks up the center in defense and mid.

In the final game, Arsenal scored early against Surf by breaking through the defense on a ball headed back to the goal and looked to be in control throughout much of the game. Surf is a great team with a solid defense too, though. They have a very good possession game.

Any matchup between any of these teams is definitely worth watching.

Congrats to Arsenal. Was the lack of numbers on the bench due to increases in air fare prices?

You are talking about strikers correct?
Arsenal had about 18 players during the walk out before the game.
Arsenal brought their 02 03 odp stud's from last weekend's Surf Cup to play 03 Surf Cup, did this make a difference in their outcome this weekend? Blues had 2 03 Baker guest players, did this make a difference in their outcome this weekend? Congrats to Strikers for playing with 13-14 players all weekend and playing some incredible soccer! Congrats to Arsenal for winning Surf Cup, what an awesome accomplishment!

Back