San Diego - forfeiting HS games due to club participation?

Just saw a news story on NBC talking about a player that participated in the SD Wave FC camp which resulted in her being told she was therefore ineligible and couldn’t play the rest of her HS season. Sounds like the news team got involved and got CIF to overturn their decision and now she can play. Said more info at 6 PM….

Plenty of HS kids attended both Loyal and Wave events. Most never told their schools. Most schools that found out never told CIF. A couple of schools decided to preemptively tell CIF about the issue hoping for some leniency from a stupid rule. I believe CIF first stuck to the rules and then decided to scale back the punishment since they knew lots of other kids were getting away with it.

The SD CIF rules about college ID camps and professional tryouts should be abolished. They serve no reasonable purpose, discourage kids from playing high school, and just feed the "pay and play for us 'cause high school sucks" pitch from coaches and clubs around town.

Caveat, before this possibly reignites the high school sucks debate. My kid's high school experience is at a school that offers a combination of soccer training, weight training, sports performance and injury recovery that no club in San Diego can come close to matching. He has visited elite D1 soccer schools and commented that their facilities are not as nice. I realize that this is not the experience at all of the high schools in San Diego.

And ... my kid didn't go to those tryouts because I have read the rules and we know better.

So what is the purpose of these rules? Seems like these rules are making HS soccer less competitive and less relevant. How many colleges recruit from HS players now?

So what is the purpose of these rules? Seems like these rules are making HS soccer less competitive and less relevant. How many colleges recruit from HS players now?
CIF does it because they can.

If you want to test a man's character, give him some power.

On the boys side in our league there is usually a couple freshman on varsity. It seems it is even more common on the girls side.
There is usually not a good reason for a Freshman to be on the Varsity roster unless he is going to be playing a lot. A better course would be a starting role on the JV team, and the coach could move him up to Varsity for the playoffs later.

Plenty of HS kids attended both Loyal and Wave events. Most never told their schools. Most schools that found out never told CIF. A couple of schools decided to preemptively tell CIF about the issue hoping for some leniency from a stupid rule. I believe CIF first stuck to the rules and then decided to scale back the punishment since they knew lots of other kids were getting away with it.

The SD CIF rules about college ID camps and professional tryouts should be abolished. They serve no reasonable purpose, discourage kids from playing high school, and just feed the "pay and play for us 'cause high school sucks" pitch from coaches and clubs around town.

Caveat, before this possibly reignites the high school sucks debate. My kid's high school experience is at a school that offers a combination of soccer training, weight training, sports performance and injury recovery that no club in San Diego can come close to matching. He has visited elite D1 soccer schools and commented that their facilities are not as nice. I realize that this is not the experience at all of the high schools in San Diego.

And ... my kid didn't go to those tryouts because I have read the rules and we know better.
It might be smart for those ID Camp admins to read the rules also and schedule the camps outside of HS season.

There is usually not a good reason for a Freshman to be on the Varsity roster unless he is going to be playing a lot. A better course would be a starting role on the JV team, and the coach could move him up to Varsity for the playoffs later.
Agreed. The varsity bench is mostly for seniors. If your kid is not in the top 13 or 14 players (ie: starting or first off the bench) it is better to play JV.

How many colleges recruit from HS players now?

The Socal Soccer Showcase, a high school soccer event at Chapman ever winter break, is one of the best attended events my kid has done. Lots of socal D1 coaches watching games. In San Diego, on the boys side, there are a lot of coaches watching the Division 1 teams. If the team is vying for a spot in Open Division, coaches will come and watch them several times during the season. There are D1 coaches in the stands of every Open Division playoff game.

That was my freshman son's reasoning, along with the fact the varsity team has some toxic seniors that have created a toxic environment on that team. However, each situation is different depending on the player, coach and team. He has a couple freshman friends with equal ability to his that play varsity for other schools, one always plays and the other was getting a little playing time before getting hurt in PE.

Eh who cares. High School soccer is mostly a social and "fun" thing anyway. Yes it's competitive, but there is more to it than getting tons of game minutes. If a Freshman makes a Varsity team and sees limited playtime, but enjoys the experience, learns from the upper classman and coach, and simply has a good time being part of the team and representing a sport for their school, all the power to em I say. I look at it as a character building and life experience more than anything else, and a nice break from the club grind for the kid.

My kid is 2 years out from HS but a few of the friends I have whose kids are ecnl level are all freshman varsity starters at their respective schools. These are all girls btw. Could there be a difference between boys and girls HS soccer coupled with what division they’re in?

My kid is 2 years out from HS but a few of the friends I have whose kids are ecnl level are all freshman varsity starters at their respective schools. These are all girls btw. Could there be a difference between boys and girls HS soccer coupled with what division they’re in?

My experience as well…girls who are on high level ECNL teams are freshman starters this year and main contributors. I know this is the case with Roosevelt and Temecula Valley (both division 1). Not as common on the boys side. My kids are a little older but seems like more of the trend.

My experience as well…girls who are on high level ECNL teams are freshman starters this year and main contributors. I know this is the case with Roosevelt and Temecula Valley (both division 1). Not as common on the boys side. My kids are a little older but seems like more of the trend.
Any high level ECNL player is a locked in freshman starter on any HS girls team. That’s IF they choose to play high school soccer.

Any high level ECNL player is a locked in freshman starter on any HS girls team. That’s IF they choose to play high school soccer.

Locked in on Varsity? Yes. Starter? Not that common on a successful Division 1 team stacked with other ECNL & competitive GA upperclassmen unless they can immediately step in and prove they can make a big impact.

Back