Girls Development Academy

Rain rain go away! Will be fun for players and not much fun for spectators.

The weather was miserable for both the players and spectators yesterday. Temp in the low 40's, rain throughout the day and very breezy. Not sure what the wind chill temp would have been. Our 03's played at 3:15. My daughter is a keeper and her hands were ice cold by the end of the game. She couldn't really feel her fingers by the end of the game. Gloves soaked and heavy. Hoping for a better experience tomorrow. Today was a beautiful day. Crossing our fingers that the fields are in descent shape after the games today.

High School I hear is the biggest factor for these clubs leaving DA. High School appears to be huge in the mid west and north east still.

High School I hear is the biggest factor for these clubs leaving DA. High School appears to be huge in the mid west and north east still.
While I’m sure high school played a part in their decisions- I’d also say “follow the money”.
Either they lost money as part of the DA program or didn’t get the expected uplift.

One has to wonder if GDA can afford to lose these clubs, particularly PDA. If PDA pulls out, that would be a very big blow to the program over there as that would make a statement as to what the market demands over there. If I were GDA, I would offer up the program to these clubs on a "pilot" basis allowing them to do whatever they want, fewer days, play H.S., etc. In the case of PDA, I would even offer subsidies to keep them in the program. Once Cinderella leaves the ball, the party is pretty much over. Of course, the exception is SoCal. Like one poster already stated, they can change the name to SoCal GDA. Expect USSF to respond with some pretty big carrots.

One has to wonder if GDA can afford to lose these clubs, particularly PDA. If PDA pulls out, that would be a very big blow to the program over there as that would make a statement as to what the market demands over there. If I were GDA, I would offer up the program to these clubs on a "pilot" basis allowing them to do whatever they want, fewer days, play H.S., etc. In the case of PDA, I would even offer subsidies to keep them in the program. Once Cinderella leaves the ball, the party is pretty much over. Of course, the exception is SoCal. Like one poster already stated, they can change the name to SoCal GDA. Expect USSF to respond with some pretty big carrots.

While they are a traditionally strong program, DA is growing rapidly. Look at this same announcement on the Michigan site. Of course, this is a total for Boys and Girls and the majority of the adds are boys, but plenty of girls clubs and teams.

upload_2018-4-17_10-25-21.png

Does anyone know if the Boys DA had this problem early on or do boys not care as much as the girls about HS soccer?

Does anyone know if the Boys DA had this problem early on or do boys not care as much as the girls about HS soccer?

Boys side has bigger problems....10 years in and they have yet to produce a viable product. I think it is pretty well understood by those participating, that BDA is a pathway to college rather than the original intent of developing players for the MNT.

While they are a traditionally strong program, DA is growing rapidly. Look at this same announcement on the Michigan site. Of course, this is a total for Boys and Girls and the majority of the adds are boys, but plenty of girls clubs and teams.
View attachment 2381
Does it really matter how many clubs they add if they lose Michigan Hawks, Eclipse and PDA? Michigan and PDA are 2 of the top 10 GDA clubs in the country. Eclipse is top 20. This is big news.

Last edited:
Boys side has bigger problems....10 years in and they have yet to produce a viable product. I think it is pretty well understood by those participating, that BDA is a pathway to college rather than the original intent of developing players for the MNT.

It's a good starting point for the elite boys of the US. The ones that have the chops though try to get on an international team. FC Dallas is awesome for finding overseas destinations for players.

Reactions: MWN
Does it really matter how many clubs they add if they lose Michigan Hawks, Eclipse and PDA? Michigan and PDA are 2 of the top 10 GDA clubs in the country. Eclipse is top 20. This is big news.

You are correct and if you really dig deep over the past 10 years those are 3 of the top 6 clubs in the country.

Back