DA and ECNL

Nope! I would definitely not drive 4 hrs per day to training multiple times per week. I would play my kid on the best team I could actually get to and keep her in ODP and PDP.

But, in our case DA is local and ECNL is the drive.

Yes, we are very grateful to have reasonably close options. For those like you that don’t, ignore the doomsday negativity and excuses about it being a closed system and just grind. I for sure agree w MAP that the cream always rises to the top. If it gets to the point where your kid is unquestionable national team
material and exposure is the real problem, then you get creative.

Your data is a little off.
In U14 at Surf there was only one ECNL team that played DA teams (Heat) and yes they made the final (but lost). That is a very good team with a dominant player and at least one of their pool play games was watched by national team staff (I assume they were not only looking at the GDA players). That club will be going to DA. I am confident that no other ECNL clubs besides Heat in that age group would have made a final in the top GDA bracket. The GDA teams in the white bracket were of mixed ability and several stronger ECNL teams could compete in there.
Wasn’t at Silverlakes and haven’t even looked at the results so I can’t speak to that.
There is no GDA U13, so that point is mute until next year when players actually decide between GDA and ECNL. San Juan 06 is very strong in their age group, though.
Your question is an oversimplification. Not every GDA team is strong. In my daughters age group in all of California my view that most of the top players are in GDA is based on my knowledge of the individual players and what clubs they play at.
As mentioned, the team that beat Heat in the final was LAFC which will be one of the Slammers ECNL teams this season. The only real data points we have about the relative strengths of GDA teams vs. ECNL teams is the head to head matchups in these pre-season tournaments, which the ECNL got the better of in both Surf and Silverlakes at the youngest ECNL/GDA agegroups. You seem to be making up a lot of excuses for the lack of results in GDA's favor, and your "belief" that "most the top players" are in GDA doesn't pass the smell test. The results say otherwise.

There is no GDA U13, so that point is mute until next year when players actually decide between GDA and ECNL. San Juan 06 is very strong in their age group, though.
And by the way, 3 out of the 4 semifinalists in the top division at Surf Cup U13 were ECNL with only 1 GDA semifinalist, and the eventual champion was ECNL. The point is neither moot or "mute".;)

As mentioned, the team that beat Heat in the final was LAFC which will be one of the Slammers ECNL teams this season. The only real data points we have about the relative strengths of GDA teams vs. ECNL teams is the head to head matchups in these pre-season tournaments, which the ECNL got the better of in both Surf and Silverlakes at the youngest ECNL/GDA agegroups. You seem to be making up a lot of excuses for the lack of results in GDA's favor, and your "belief" that "most the top players" are in GDA doesn't pass the smell test. The results say otherwise.

Yes, Heat and LAFC made the U14 finals in the 2nd DA division at Surf. The U13 teams are not GDA yet.
I have zero interest in making excuses for anything. I just share what I see in case it’s useful to someone else. I don’t mind the claim about where the top players are being challenged. If you think your data conclusively shows that more top players are ECNL at U14, have at it. I have my view, I’m happy with our choice so far, my kid gets to play in two GDA age groups and NTC against a lot of top players, and there are quite a few other benefits that haven’t even come up in discussion. And of course there are some drawbacks, the biggest of which is the good players are split between two systems and that hurts everyone. I like to be a positive voice for those considering GDA who are not attached to the ECNL vs GDA war and the US Soccer hating as there are so many on here against GDA. Good luck to all the hard working girls on all the teams this season!

Yes, Heat and LAFC made the U14 finals in the 2nd DA division at Surf. The U13 teams are not GDA yet.
I have zero interest in making excuses for anything. I just share what I see in case it’s useful to someone else. I don’t mind the claim about where the top players are being challenged. If you think your data conclusively shows that more top players are ECNL at U14, have at it. I have my view, I’m happy with our choice so far, my kid gets to play in two GDA age groups and NTC against a lot of top players, and there are quite a few other benefits that haven’t even come up in discussion. And of course there are some drawbacks, the biggest of which is the good players are split between two systems and that hurts everyone. I like to be a positive voice for those considering GDA who are not attached to the ECNL vs GDA war and the US Soccer hating as there are so many on here against GDA. Good luck to all the hard working girls on all the teams this season!
I'm not saying that definitively more top players are in ECNL than in GDA. What I'm trying to point out is that the data doesn't support your earlier claim that most of the top players in the younger age groups are in GDA.

And while we're at it, here's a couple of other data points for you. According to this RPI calculation, the #6(Legends) and #8(Seattle Reign) 2004 teams were at Silverlakes two weekend ago and both played 3 games against ECNL teams. http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/2017-2018-gda-club-standings.4188/page-8#post-204599

Legends 2004 DA was 1-1-1 against ECNL teams.
Reign 2004 DA was 0-2-1 against ECNL teams.

These two top 10 ranked DA teams combined for a grand total of ONE win in 6 games versus ECNL. Let that sink in.

It is not a solid situation to advance only because another team lost a match. I would prefer a situation of being more in charge of their own desitiny

I like to be a positive voice for those considering GDA who are not attached to the ECNL vs GDA war and the US Soccer hating as there are so many on here against GDA.
There is reason why there are so many "haters" about the GDA. Parents need to have truthful and accurate information not just one's personal experience so they can make an informed decision about what is best for their player.

There is reason why there are so many "haters" about the GDA. Parents need to have truthful and accurate information not just one's personal experience so they can make an informed decision about what is best for their player.

It seems like you had a very bad experience. What club did your kid play for this last year so the rest of us can make informed decisions?

I am not familiar with all the girls birth years but at U14 or the 2005s there really has only been 4-5 teams that play elite level soccer in SoCal. How many teams are in DA and ECNL? There is a much larger group of teams at the next level...maybe another 20-25 teams that would still play good soccer but could never really compete with the top 5.

DA vs ECNL seems to be a real hot button for a number of ECNL loyalists including some whose players have aged out of club soccer. If I was a newbie parent and came on here and read this and other threads I would get the impression that the GDA was an inferior product. I remember on the old forum years ago reading arguments from some of the same posters whose players are now in college defending ECNL when those teams tied or loss to non ECNL teams in non ECNL tournaments. The non ECNL teams claiming they were as good or better as the ECNL teams they had beat and the ECNL parents saying they didn't care, coming off a break, or didn't play their top players, that's why they loss. Flash forward a couple years and some of those old ECNL parents are claiming superiority based on Silverlakes or the younger ages at Surf Cup that ECNL is better than DA. It's ironic to see this argument come full circle. I am not here to claim DA teams are better than ECNL teams nor the opposite that ECNL is better than DA. Prior to Silverlakes or Surf Cup the DA was on a 4 week break many DA clubs came back that week and it was their first time they ever played together as a team was that weekend. The fact that so much was put on 3 friendlies in 90+ degree weather is silly at best no matter which way the score went. As far as the US Youth National team losses are a referendum on the GDA after one season of existence is absurd. There are issues that run deep within US soccer going back as long there has been US soccer. I am sure if your daughter is one of the .0001% that get to play for the US she will be discovered no matter what league she plays for. High School soccer if you followed these threads you would think there is a mass exodus of GDA players running from their DA teams to join ECNL teams or other teams because of the no HS rule. This is absolutely false. Every player I know that left the GDA was for 3 reasons just like any team, didn't make the squad, didn't like the coaching staff, or the 4 days a week of training was too much. HS soccer wasn't never the catalyst it was sometimes the final excuse. So why all the hostility or negativity towards the GDA on here because most of the active posters kids play in ECNL, or the posters coach an ECNL team, or their kids have aged out but they played ECNL and know nothing or very little of the GDA, or they are jaded about US soccer. Like most forums there is bits of truth and pieces of good info on here but the majority of it is false. If I were a parent and my daughter was good enough to play GDA or ECNL I would find the best coaching staff and program within a reasonable distance that would help her reach her goals but improve her as a player. The days of getting a couple unicorns and playing kick and run, high pressure D, and free substitution to keep the ranks fresh doesn't help the growth of soccer in this country or the growth of individuals. Clubs that win aren't superior they have superior players and most feed the one or two best players on those teams and the rest are just a supporting casts. You want to know what would make the US even better at women's soccer finding players that were technical, had tremendous soccer IQs, and when they were on the field they made everyone else around them better, not because of how many goals they scored, but how they moved the ball and made real time decisions that made their teammates better. Maybe GDA fails, maybe ECNL gets relegated to a 2nd tier league, maybe someday they figure out how to combine the two who knows but that's on a macro level on the micro level you can do your part by finding quality coaches and a program that helps your daughter reach her potential.

DA vs ECNL seems to be a real hot button for a number of ECNL loyalists including some whose players have aged out of club soccer. If I was a newbie parent and came on here and read this and other threads I would get the impression that the GDA was an inferior product. I remember on the old forum years ago reading arguments from some of the same posters whose players are now in college defending ECNL when those teams tied or loss to non ECNL teams in non ECNL tournaments. The non ECNL teams claiming they were as good or better as the ECNL teams they had beat and the ECNL parents saying they didn't care, coming off a break, or didn't play their top players, that's why they loss. Flash forward a couple years and some of those old ECNL parents are claiming superiority based on Silverlakes or the younger ages at Surf Cup that ECNL is better than DA. It's ironic to see this argument come full circle. I am not here to claim DA teams are better than ECNL teams nor the opposite that ECNL is better than DA. Prior to Silverlakes or Surf Cup the DA was on a 4 week break many DA clubs came back that week and it was their first time they ever played together as a team was that weekend. The fact that so much was put on 3 friendlies in 90+ degree weather is silly at best no matter which way the score went. As far as the US Youth National team losses are a referendum on the GDA after one season of existence is absurd. There are issues that run deep within US soccer going back as long there has been US soccer. I am sure if your daughter is one of the .0001% that get to play for the US she will be discovered no matter what league she plays for. High School soccer if you followed these threads you would think there is a mass exodus of GDA players running from their DA teams to join ECNL teams or other teams because of the no HS rule. This is absolutely false. Every player I know that left the GDA was for 3 reasons just like any team, didn't make the squad, didn't like the coaching staff, or the 4 days a week of training was too much. HS soccer wasn't never the catalyst it was sometimes the final excuse. So why all the hostility or negativity towards the GDA on here because most of the active posters kids play in ECNL, or the posters coach an ECNL team, or their kids have aged out but they played ECNL and know nothing or very little of the GDA, or they are jaded about US soccer. Like most forums there is bits of truth and pieces of good info on here but the majority of it is false. If I were a parent and my daughter was good enough to play GDA or ECNL I would find the best coaching staff and program within a reasonable distance that would help her reach her goals but improve her as a player. The days of getting a couple unicorns and playing kick and run, high pressure D, and free substitution to keep the ranks fresh doesn't help the growth of soccer in this country or the growth of individuals. Clubs that win aren't superior they have superior players and most feed the one or two best players on those teams and the rest are just a supporting casts. You want to know what would make the US even better at women's soccer finding players that were technical, had tremendous soccer IQs, and when they were on the field they made everyone else around them better, not because of how many goals they scored, but how they moved the ball and made real time decisions that made their teammates better. Maybe GDA fails, maybe ECNL gets relegated to a 2nd tier league, maybe someday they figure out how to combine the two who knows but that's on a macro level on the micro level you can do your part by finding quality coaches and a program that helps your daughter reach her potential.

Like every other post, including mine, you have your bias and yours are particularly clear to see despite your closing arguments about what's best for the kids. To talk about "90 degree weather", calling paid games "friendlies", and saying "but they came off a 4 week break" to excuse GDAs poor showing is pretty laughable. Why on earth were they playing in a showcase of they hadn't been training for a month? How does that benefit the kids? Just deal with the facts, which in the past few weeks favored ECNL but in coming weeks or years may favor GDA.

To be clear, nobody knows if GDA or ECNL will end up on top or if US Soccer will accept ECNLs offer to collaborate and allow their teams to play ECNL teams. That's where we are at. Lots of moving an shaking going on behind the scenes. It's as clear as mud.

So which DA team does your kid play for?

Like every other post, including mine, you have your bias and yours are particularly clear to see despite your closing arguments about what's best for the kids. To talk about "90 degree weather", calling paid games "friendlies", and saying "but they came off a 4 week break" to excuse GDAs poor showing is pretty laughable. Why on earth were they playing in a showcase of they hadn't been training for a month? How does that benefit the kids? Just deal with the facts, which in the past few weeks favored ECNL but in coming weeks or years may favor GDA.

To be clear, nobody knows if GDA or ECNL will end up on top or if US Soccer will accept ECNLs offer to collaborate and allow their teams to play ECNL teams. That's where we are at. Lots of moving an shaking going on behind the scenes. It's as clear as mud.

You don't get it. I was using the same arguments that some of the older posters used to defend their dd's losses to non ECNL teams back when there was no GDA and pointing out the hypocrisy. I have been around a minute or two and have a little experience on these boards. I don't care what club team or what league anyone's kid plays for. Just pointing out this has been a pretty one sided argument on here and if you are a parent that just reads these threads and doesn't post, don't believe all the negativity.

Back