DA and ECNL

My player’s team only has one GDA player regardless of year committed and they have three 2021 recruits already. I only see 2 GDA players for Stanford 2019 or more current. Any decent player can get committed. There are 321+ D1 schools and many times that if you include all of the other levels. Ask yourself where the top players (the ones going to the top 10-16 schools) are playing. Now look at the top 5 or 6 programs. Where are those players going. TDS rankings mean nothing. Big money offers from top schools tell you who the best players are. My kid was like the 24th ranked player in SoCal in her graduating class but has done more than everyone above her including two on her team that aren’t starters whereas she has started every game and been with the first XI on her team since the first summer practice prior to her freshman year. The best players often fly under the radar because good teams can hide a player’s deficiencies that get exposed in college.

@MakeAPlay, I looked at the numbers for 2021. Here are the DA numbers for commitments in TopDrawer's current top 15:

4 out of 5 –Stanford
1 out of 3 – UCLA
6 out of 6 – North Carolina
0 out of 0 – Florida
0 out of 0 – Virginia
1 out of 1 – Penn State
0 out of 0 – South Carolina
0 out of 0 – Florida State
2 out of 4 – Texas A&M
4 out of 4 - USC
2 out of 2 - Duke
0 out of 0 - Princeton
0 out of 1 - Santa Clara
0 out of 1 - UCF
1 out of 2 - Tennessee

I think the numbers you directed me to support my point that the talent flocked to DA in the lower age groups. Maybe they will flock back to ECNL, but this is where the talent was last year at this age group. Also, at least a few of the non-DA players that committed weren't on ECNL teams either.

@shales1002 - I noticed something odd when looking at the USC commits for 2022. Is there something you want to share? If true, congrats. They are accumulating a ton of talent in those younger age groups at USC. But more importantly, are you going to be able to stay friends with @MakeAPlay?

@shales congrats! I was up there last week for a special tour with my senior ds (being recruited for a non-sports related team). It definitely made an impression on my 04s as well and I was impressed with the academics. I know you and your dd have your priorities straight, congrats!

@MakeAPlay, I looked at the numbers for 2021. Here are the DA numbers for commitments in TopDrawer's current top 15:

4 out of 5 –Stanford
1 out of 3 – UCLA
6 out of 6 – North Carolina
0 out of 0 – Florida
0 out of 0 – Virginia
1 out of 1 – Penn State
0 out of 0 – South Carolina
0 out of 0 – Florida State
2 out of 4 – Texas A&M
4 out of 4 - USC
2 out of 2 - Duke
0 out of 0 - Princeton
0 out of 1 - Santa Clara
0 out of 1 - UCF
1 out of 2 - Tennessee

I think the numbers you directed me to support my point that the talent flocked to DA in the lower age groups. Maybe they will flock back to ECNL, but this is where the talent was last year at this age group. Also, at least a few of the non-DA players that committed weren't on ECNL teams either.

Those numbers are not entirely accurate. Just an FYI on that.

Those numbers are not entirely accurate. Just an FYI on that.
If you are using Top Drawer lists of commitments then some of those numbers don't seem correct. Texas A&M has three players listed and only 1 of those is DA. Of the 4 for USC one is an ECNL player. For Stanford I only see 4 players listed and 3 were DA.

It gets a bit confusing with the clubs that have moved back to ECNL. I would guess that everyone would count them as a commit on the DA side as they likely committed this past year as a Freshman while on a DA team??? There are about 8-9 players that will now be back to ECNL.

Even I am getting bored with this conversation. US Soccer rolled out this new program and upset the youth soccer arena over the past few years with so many changes. The message was - if you want to be on the most elite team and have the best coaching and training and have an opportunity for the national team call ups then you need to go to one of the DA teams. It isn't playing out like that and the dust is settling.

As for USNT U20 fauling to advance....those players played in ECNL or competitive leagues in their home areas.
USSDA was not formed on the girls side at their youth playing time.
We have only had 1 year of GDA.
Give it a few years and the DA teams may become the stronger league.
As for now, ECNL is just as competitive offering players excellent competition and opportunity to play in HS.
But I did notice last HS season was much weaker due to losing DA players.
(Except SM and Jserra)

As for USNT U20 fauling to advance....those players played in ECNL or competitive leagues in their home areas.
USSDA was not formed on the girls side at their youth playing time.
We have only had 1 year of GDA.
Give it a few years and the DA teams may become the stronger league.
As for now, ECNL is just as competitive offering players excellent competition and opportunity to play in HS.
But I did notice last HS season was much weaker due to losing DA players.
(Except SM and Jserra)

I believe the argument has been that the failure is a result of not selecting the best players and coaching staff available regardless of league affiliation. USSF is quick to point out the number of GDA players on the roster.

But you are right. Time will tell how this will all play out.

Back