CRL

CRL

Thank you Wez,
In my opinion thats what happens when a coach has too many teams. He has to cater to all and then start making up things like why should we play this or that competition we are just going to destroy everyone only excuses because you have 2 or 3 other teams. This is why my sons will never play for someone who coaches more than 2 teams at once. one of the Main reasons why we left our last club after only being there for one month.

Wait, you consider coaching two teams, too many?

The economics of full time youth soccer coach necessitates that a coach take on 3+ teams. Most coaches make $8K~$12K/yr per team. So 2 teams are < $24K/yr. Great 2nd job for those that have a day job but full time coach - not. With 4 teams, its ~$40K/yr + privates and they get to some level of income that they can survive on.

I think people hear DOCs making over $100K+ and think that coaches do well too. DOC's get essentially an override on each team under their control in addition to the team they take on to make their salary work.

This is typical example and clearly exceptions exist but for the vast majority of clubs and teams, its not much different....

Let's go ahead and crown them nationals champs already

I would say Strikers is the heavy favorite. And no, we shouldn't crown them national champs just yet. They have been the most consistent team despite losing 1-0 to Albion South in Surf pool play. Those kids just get it done on a regular basis. Even if you look at last year and now this year, this same group of kids have been so steady.

The only other time this year that has been just as consistent is Albion. Their lost to Boca at their own tournament has been their only real hiccup.

There are some other teams that can compete and even beat Strikers and Albion though. Teams like GSA, Surf, and Legends can beat both of them. They just need to prove it.

Last edited:
There are some other teams that can compete and even beat Strikers and Albion though. Teams like GSA, Surf, and Legends can beat both of them. They just need to prove it.

At ManCity we had a 3-0 lead at half in the finals and ended up having to fight it out in PKs. You never know how each game will turn out.

CRL

Thank you Wez,
In my opinion thats what happens when a coach has too many teams. He has to cater to all and then start making up things like why should we play this or that competition we are just going to destroy everyone only excuses because you have 2 or 3 other teams. This is why my sons will never play for someone who coaches more than 2 teams at once. one of the Main reasons why we left our last club after only being there for one month.

Name me a top notch coach in so cal who isn't coaching 2+ teams or assisting on more... You'll be hard pressed to find one. All of the big clubs (aka successful ones) have full time coaches. That's just the nature of the beast.... No wonder your son plays for Boca. They only have like 5 teams total!

Been saying it since day 1... Only 4 teams even in discussion for every single event.. Strikers leading the pack, and surf close behind... Albion, legends right below them... On their best day, GSA/Boca/Arsenal/Celtic can put up a good fight but not at the same level as the big 4.

we were with Legends west briefly. Coach had 4 teams we were on the second 05 team with both my sons. It was but rarely
any games

4 teams, that sounds awful, sorry you went through that. I've never seen a Coach take on more than 2 teams and would be pissed if they did. Also the club itself, ideally, is giving tons of support and sharing resources.

4 teams, that sounds awful, sorry you went through that. I've never seen a Coach take on more than 2 teams and would be pissed if they did. Also the club itself, ideally, is giving tons of support and sharing resources.

Coach actually does 3 teams, just as a correction. Are there conflicts at times, yes, but most clubs top coaches have 2-3 teams. For example, Strikers Martinez coaches 3 teams as well. Wayne Crowe with Albion coaches 3 teams and is also the clubs GK coach. I could go on but you get the picture.

Last edited:
Name me a top notch coach in so cal who isn't coaching 2+ teams or assisting on more... You'll be hard pressed to find one. All of the big clubs (aka successful ones) have full time coaches. That's just the nature of the beast.... No wonder your son plays for Boca. They only have like 5 teams total!
most teams you mentioned that are your top teams . carry at least 3 teams per age group for a total of 45 players and most have only one good solid team????, Boca, 15 players all solid
Albion90-100 players
Boca 15 players
.it would be a shame if out of 50players you couldnt field a strong team btw I feel for the parents that are paying for the name on the other flights

Coach actually does 3 teams, just as a correction. Are there conflicts at times, yes, but most clubs top coaches have 2-3 teams. For example, Strikers Martinez coaches 3 teams as well. Wayne Crowe with Albion coaches at least 2 teams and is also the clubs GK coach. I could go on but you get the picture.
When we were there he had 4 teams 99s 08s 05 and 05b. But that is not my point... Its a job and I get it
My comment was that when you have more than 2 teams you will not have all your attention on them and that is not god for the development of players

Coach actually does 3 teams, just as a correction. Are there conflicts at times, yes, but most clubs top coaches have 2-3 teams. For example, Strikers Martinez coaches 3 teams as well. Wayne Crowe with Albion coaches 3 teams and is also the clubs GK coach. I could go on but you get the picture.

Same story at pats, surf, GSA, west coast, Arsenal so on and so on... Like I said, the top guys make a living out of this... Mr. Boca jrs, just wait told your club has more than 5 teams and you will see the same. Nobody is reinventing the wheel here. Galaxy is the only club that pays guys enough to coach 1 team... Ideally I Wish it were different too, but this the current set up and we are the shmucks funding it!

When we were there he had 4 teams 99s 08s 05 and 05b. But that is not my point... Its a job and I get it
My comment was that when you have more than 2 teams you will not have all your attention on them and that is not god for the development of players
Isn't development of players done in training? If a coach has 3-4 team I am assuming they do not all train a the same time?

Lol. Insert Denny Green quote here. They're playing the best ball now, but there's not that much separation to think they'll win everything. This season is young, teams will improve and, and it only takes one bad result to get bounced from a tourney. You got to be lucky too.

Back