College Entrance Scam includes former Yale Women's Soccer Coach

All that showed plead “not guilty”. Maybe the prosecutor will go easy and they’ll get sweetheart deals. I don’t know though. This is the first case of it’s kind that I know of involving a clearly prosecutable case of conspiracy amongst parents and coaches, working with an intermediary to defraud the admissions systems at elite colleges. There’s also the whole
charitable donation/tax fraud angle for some. I don’t care how innocent you think you are, or how trivial your attorney tells you the charges are, no one likes to be arraigned.

Politics seem to drive the bus in almost all legal matters. The lead prosecutor, Andrew Lelling, was nominated to his federal post Sept. 2017 by President Trump. He might try to make a name for himself and send a strong message to those amongst the coastal elites who think they can throw money at anyone for anything.

I doubt anyone will do long term jail time, but I also think no one gets off as clean as Jussie. :mad:

MAP may have the inside story on the UCLA situation, , my gut has shifted on this. It’s probably a nothing-burger. The feds are not interested in the women’s program, that we know of. Internally they’ll handle it, and only if the NCAA flexes their muscle will we ever hear which coach allowed Isackson to be rostered. It’s still sketchy though, and sketchy people do sketchy thjngs.

A "nothing burger"? You are saying that after months of recruitment, table discussions, video clips, etc etc etc that every single coach didn't know exactly who was going to be recruited for that year. Come on, really?? How many new players are put on the roster each year? Maybe 8-10 at the most, maybe a couple more a couple less. They all knew exactly who was recruited. They all are part of the cheating. Period. This UCLA team is a group of talented athletes that will perform well with whatever coaching staff they have and I am pretty sure there are plenty of excellent, honest coaches out there with great records who would love to have the opportunity to coach this team.

A "nothing burger"? You are saying that after months of recruitment, table discussions, video clips, etc etc etc that every single coach didn't know exactly who was going to be recruited for that year. Come on, really?? How many new players are put on the roster each year? Maybe 8-10 at the most, maybe a couple more a couple less. They all knew exactly who was recruited. They all are part of the cheating. Period. This UCLA team is a group of talented athletes that will perform well with whatever coaching staff they have and I am pretty sure there are plenty of excellent, honest coaches out there with great records who would love to have the opportunity to coach this team.

First question on the application form for the new coach - "Are you now under indictment? Have you ever been? Is there some chance you might be in the near future?"

Correct me if i'm wrong but there are unlimited roster spots but only 14 scholarships. Some schools roster 25-28 while some roster 30 plus.

Those 14 scholarships can each be broken up to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc. scholarships. That allows the college to issue more than the 14 full scholarships.

I agree with you Lambchop. I think the whole stinks, but I’m not convinced the university will go hard on the punishment. Based on what we know so far, I feel there should be some penalties, but not my deal to worry about.

An Associate Professor of Dentitstry at USC took 100k out of his house in a refi and gave it to the Associate AD so that his kid could be admitted through the Lacrosse team. That’s crazy, a tenured professor’s kid wasn’t a decent enough applicant to get in fairly! upload_2019-4-1_15-3-4.jpeg

BBVCWE0.img

"Its owner: Peter Brand, Harvard University’s legendary fencing coach. Its assessed value: $549,300.

So when the house sold to a wealthy Maryland businessman for close to a million dollars in May 2016, the town’s top assessor was so dumbfounded that he wrote the following in his notes: “Makes no sense.”

Now it might.

The buyer, it turns out, was the father of a high school junior who was actively looking at applying to Harvard with an eye toward being on the fencing team.

Soon enough, Jie Zhao’s younger son would gain admission and join the team. And Zhao, who never lived a day in the Needham house, would sell it 17 months after he bought it for a $324,500 loss.

The home sale may become the next chapter in the national debate over fairness in college admissions."

When you read the actual article this one actually seems a bit nuanced...Here is the link:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/h...to-harvard/ar-BBVCRMs?ocid=spartanntp#image=1

BBVCWE0.img

"Its owner: Peter Brand, Harvard University’s legendary fencing coach. Its assessed value: $549,300.

So when the house sold to a wealthy Maryland businessman for close to a million dollars in May 2016, the town’s top assessor was so dumbfounded that he wrote the following in his notes: “Makes no sense.”

Now it might.

The buyer, it turns out, was the father of a high school junior who was actively looking at applying to Harvard with an eye toward being on the fencing team.

Soon enough, Jie Zhao’s younger son would gain admission and join the team. And Zhao, who never lived a day in the Needham house, would sell it 17 months after he bought it for a $324,500 loss.

The home sale may become the next chapter in the national debate over fairness in college admissions."

When you read the actual article this one actually seems a bit nuanced...Here is the link:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/h...to-harvard/ar-BBVCRMs?ocid=spartanntp#image=1
Cleaver...

Form of laundering money and be able to take the capital loss on taxes.... The duration of ownership is such that one can argue it was just a bad investment. No red flag raised.

I just believe the current situation is that they just got caught. Its been going on probably as long as these schools exist. I also believe it will happen in the future.

I don’t see a problem with:

1) someone making a donation and saying “btw, my son is applying to your school”. And he gets in. At least students at the school can reap the benefits of the donation in some way. The school realizes that if they accept the kid that more donations could be coming their way in the future.

I do have a problem with:

1) “ hey here’s some money how can we get my kid into your school”. The money changes hands with an Individual person.

Back