College Entrance Scam includes former Yale Women's Soccer Coach

Feds want to fish out everyone. Leading feds looking to add stuff to their resume for when they run for office.

Feds are looking for institutional corruption. Cromwell is most certainly in their crosshairs.

Honestly I’m tired of hearing about this. Instead of filling up our prisons with cheating rich people, let’s make room for all the violent criminals, rapists, robbers, pedophiles and amazon package stealers.

Actually, I would like to hear about the over 700 students who had their SAT scores altered. Just waiting for that list of come out. Students from a Texas high school are in the cross hairs of the Feds if what they are saying about the high school employee who had scores altered. It is going to be interesting to see what schools are impacted by the "700"! Everybody out there thinking "my kids university wasn't involved" are probably going to be surprised when that information is released.

Actually, I would like to hear about the over 700 students who had their SAT scores altered. Just waiting for that list of come out. Students from a Texas high school are in the cross hairs of the Feds if what they are saying about the high school employee who had scores altered. It is going to be interesting to see what schools are impacted by the "700"! Everybody out there thinking "my kids university wasn't involved" are probably going to be surprised when that information is released.

Did I miss something? What is this all about?

When the FBI charged the Harvard grad who took tests for students said there were over 700 students who had their scores changed. They didn't
Yeah? So?
John Kerry had a lower GPA than Bush...and they both got into Yale.
So?
For most top students when they attend a top university they become average students because all the students are very smart (exception the students who cheated)!

When the FBI charged the Harvard grad who took tests for students said there were over 700 students who had their scores changed. They didn't

??

I heard about substitutes taking tests and test answers being changed, but didn't know it was 700 deep.

Singer had over 700 hundred students he helped get into universities with the help of the Florida man, Harvard grad, who would take tests for students. Someone else was implicated from Texas, a women, who also worked to have tests scores changed. I am sure over the next month or two, names will be released and/or universities involved. I have to wonder what other small companies that help students get into college have unsavory methods as well. This is sad for the small, honest companies who really do try to advise and direct students to a school they can get into and be successful at.

Singer had over 700 hundred students he helped get into universities with the help of the Florida man, Harvard grad, who would take tests for students. Someone else was implicated from Texas, a women, who also worked to have tests scores changed. I am sure over the next month or two, names will be released and/or universities involved. I have to wonder what other small companies that help students get into college have unsavory methods as well. This is sad for the small, honest companies who really do try to advise and direct students to a school they can get into and be successful at.

SAT is given 4 times a year, so for a substitute to take tests for 700 paying clients would take about 175 years.

SAT is given 4 times a year, so for a substitute to take tests for 700 paying clients would take about 175 years.
I should have said he wasn't the only one. There were two members affiliated with SAT that would alter test scores, I think at one point their names were mentioned. Maybe they are working on a plea deal so all is quiet for now. Singer also cheated over many years. It is going to be interesting. I would imagine there are a lot of students who are involved and don't even know it.

I should have said he wasn't the only one. There were two members affiliated with SAT that would alter test scores, I think at one point their names were mentioned. Maybe they are working on a plea deal so all is quiet for now. Singer also cheated over many years. It is going to be interesting. I would imagine there are a lot of students who are involved and don't even know it.

It seems to me that the most wide-spread form of cheating was encouraging his clients to file for disability treatment so they could get more time to take the tests. Unless they are already going to do very well on the tests, that is an obvious advantage.

I wonder if Singer or one of his agents will write a how-we-did-it book.

Honestly if you have to hire tutors and enroll in Kaplan courses to score well on the SAT you don’t deserve to be at the elite schools. My dd had friends who rolled out of bed and scored close to perfect.

Go to a school that’s a tight fit for you. Then take advantage of every opportunity.

This was buried in the High School soccer forum.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bi...dmissions-scandal-were-from-china-11556301872

“Mr. Singer wrote that he would “revise” the art materials to soccer, according to a filing, which said that he falsely listed her as a member of a junior national development team in China and co-captain of a prominent club soccer team in southern California.”
This is about J Serra.
Oooh this is getting good now.

too bad the article is behind a paywall

too bad the article is behind a paywall
Here you go. I highlighted the part about club soccer at the end
:
Families from China were among those who allegedly paid the most in the college admissions scandal, a new sign of the reach of the cheating ring.

One Chinese family allegedly paid $6.5 million to William “Rick” Singer, the California-based college counselor who has admitted to masterminding the scheme, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Another was the family of a student—referred to in court filings as “Yale Applicant 1”—who paid $1.2 million to secure her admission to Yale University. The student is 21-year-old Sherry Guo, who moved to Southern California from China to attend high school, her lawyer confirmed.

The families have been of particular interest in the case because they allegedly paid far more than nearly all of the 33 parents currently facing criminal charges in the scheme. Many parents paid $250,000 to $400,000 for the illegal admissions services, including securing fraudulent test scores and bribing coaches to have their children designated as recruited athletes, prosecutors say.

Ms. Guo had her eye on Columbia University or Oxford University, said her lawyer, James Spertus of Spertus, Landes & Umhofer LLP in Los Angeles.

But Mr. Singer told her she would go to Yale University. It was a sure thing, he said, according to Mr. Spertus. An attorney for Mr. Singer, who has pleaded guilty to four felony charges, including racketeering conspiracy, declined to comment.

Ms. Guo learned English after arriving in California about five years ago, Mr. Spertus said. She attended JSerra Catholic High School in San Juan Capistrano, Calif., south of Los Angeles, starting high school as an older student.

Ms. Guo was “so unfamiliar with how people apply to schools in the U.S.,” Mr. Spertus said. “Rick Singer’s instructions to her didn’t seem as out of place as they would to a student who grew up in the United States and has more of an expectation of free choice.”

The young woman did get into Yale, after Mr. Singer allegedly got her tagged as a recruited athlete, and started school there last fall, according to Mr. Spertus and court filings. She’s no longer at the school, her attorney confirmed.

A growing number of Chinese families are bringing their children to the U.S. for high school, or even elementary school, in the hopes of helping smooth the path to college admission down the line. Colleges sometimes scrutinize foreign agents who help coordinate applications from overseas students, but less so the role of U.S.-based independent college counselors—particularly those whose main client base is domestic.

Mr. Spertus said he was authorized to answer questions on Ms. Guo’s behalf and declined to make her available.

The Wall Street Journal hasn’t learned the identity of the family that allegedly paid $6.5 million.

Ms. Guo’s family was introduced to Mr. Singer by a Los Angeles financial adviser, Mr. Spertus said.

Ms. Guo’s family hasn’t been charged. Prosecutors have said the investigation is ongoing. The family that allegedly paid $6.5 million for Mr. Singer’s services also hasn’t been charged, according to a person familiar with the matter.

“I just don’t think the question of guilt is clear-cut in Sherry’s case, at all,” Mr. Spertus said.

According to court filings, a Los Angeles-based employee of a financial adviser allegedly told Mr. Singer in November 2017 that the father of Yale Applicant 1 wanted to make a “donation” to “one of those top schools” for his daughter’s “application.”

The next day, Mr. Singer sent Rudolph “Rudy” Meredith, then the Yale women’s soccer coach, the student’s résumé and personal statement, which included links to her art portfolio, according to filings by prosecutors.

Mr. Singer wrote that he would “revise” the art materials to soccer, according to a filing, which said that he falsely listed her as a member of a junior national development team in China and co-captain of a prominent club soccer team in southern California.

Mr. Singer paid $400,000 to Mr. Meredith in exchange for having him designate the girl as a recruited athlete, nearly guaranteeing her a spot at the school, according to court filings. Mr. Meredith pleaded guilty last month for his role in the scheme, which prosecutors say started in 2015 and included taking bribes for multiple students.

Yale said it rescinded the admission of a student last month after investigating allegations that its former women’s head soccer coach was involved in Mr. Singer’s scheme. The school said it did so “as a result of this matter,” referring to the admissions scandal, and didn’t identify the individual.

Ms. Guo was listed in the Yale directory as recently as April 10, but no longer appears there.

Ms. Guo won awards for her artwork, according to news stories posted on the JSerra Catholic High School website. She was also listed as an international student officer for the school’s National Honor Society chapter.

Eric Stroupe, the school’s principal, said she is an “unbelievable artist” and “super talented,” and had very strong grades. He said he didn’t know of Ms. Guo’s alleged connection to the admissions scandal until he was contacted by the Journal, and he was shocked.

Honestly if you have to hire tutors and enroll in Kaplan courses to score well on the SAT you don’t deserve to be at the elite schools. My dd had friends who rolled out of bed and scored close to perfect.

Go to a school that’s a tight fit for you. Then take advantage of every opportunity.

My dd has friends who rolled out of bed and made the U18-WNT.

Yup....call me Mr. Grumpy-pants :D

Maybe I read it wrong.....but the net-net of ebays comment is to “stay in your lane” - He’ll Naw!!

That’s not what this country is about, and it sure isn’t what my player and the real “student-athletes” at Yale are about.

Is it happy hour yet ;)
Little hard work never hurt anyone.
He must be a Bernie supporter.

I have friends who grew up in underprivileged neighborhoods. The schools they attended were focused on just getting their students to graduate with very few who would ever go on to even attend community college. They were all very smart kids but the schools weren't teaching them the material and their parents worked multiple jobs - so they hired tutors to help their kids learn material and pass exams. They ended up attending Cornell, Columbia, Northwestern, etc... they even admitted to not feeling like they fit in when they got there - but they adapted, made new friends and did great. They have very successful careers today.

The idea that just because you need some tutoring or took a Kaplan test to prepare for an exam means you don't deserve to attend an elite school is absurd.

Here you go. I highlighted the part about club soccer at the end

Eric Stroupe, the school’s principal, said she is an “unbelievable artist” and “super talented,” and had very strong grades. He said he didn’t know of Ms. Guo’s alleged connection to the admissions scandal until he was contacted by the Journal, and he was shocked.

Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?

Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money] Croupier: Your winnings, sir.

Captain Renault: Oh, thank you very much.
Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!

Back