College Entrance Scam includes former Yale Women's Soccer Coach

They will only sing if they are otherwise looking at prison time. Otherwise, they will negotiate a hefty fine and community service and promise to "never, never do it again". That's why they really F'd themselves if they concealed the bribe as a charitable donation and then took a deduction. The tax fraud is the WOW! factor that makes things much harder on them. (I write that w/o any sympathy; I can't stand how people who cheat on their taxes think they are only cheating the gov't - they are cheating all of us). They'd have been much "better" off just paying it to Singer directly (or to his for-profit arm)
Hey, after this new Smollett hoax twist, all bets are off.

Oh god!! Please don’t. Gets me through my day. Serious though, I wonder why only UCLA and USC are the only schools there focusing on! Interesting
USC because it was rampant and involved administration and UCLA because they were dumb enough to roster a non player that they knew would never see the pitch

Correct me if i'm wrong but there are unlimited roster spots but only 14 scholarships. Some schools roster 25-28 while some roster 30 plus.

That is consistent with my point. Anyone can sue for anything. But to win you need to show a bad act, damages and a causal link between the bad act and the damage. If I sue on behalf of my kid and say #41 took her spot, I will have a hard time winning because even if my kid is a talented player, there is no direct link between UCLA's act and my kid's damage (not getting picked). There are reasons for that - UCLA may not have filled the spot, UCLA may have taken my kid EVEN WITH #41 (she could have been #42!), UCLA may have passed on dozens of other more talented players before they'd even look at my kid, etc. If I file a class action suit, maybe I have a better chance b/c I can allege that among the group of plaintiffs (the "plaintiff class") are girls who missed out b/c of #41 (which specific girl is less relevant; like with a med device suit - my pacemaker may not be causing me problems but I still get some settlement b/c I am part of the plaintiff class (that is entirely made up - well, I do have a PM . . .)). I think the stronger case is non-athletes and how the admissions process is skewed by letting non-athletes get the athletic goodies. And I think the strongest case is to allege fraudulent use of funds/position BUT that is also the MOST attenuated in terms of damages (unless it is a suit BY the gov't or the school).

(this is all lay-speak. I am sure there are other lawyers on here who can (and might) go into great detail and may tell me how off base I am. I want to stress, I am not commenting on the actual merits beyond "better chance" and the like. Litigation is a crap shoot. Obvious winners lose and longshots pay off.)

That's when people start singing.
All that showed plead “not guilty”. Maybe the prosecutor will go easy and they’ll get sweetheart deals. I don’t know though. This is the first case of it’s kind that I know of involving a clearly prosecutable case of conspiracy amongst parents and coaches, working with an intermediary to defraud the admissions systems at elite colleges. There’s also the whole
charitable donation/tax fraud angle for some. I don’t care how innocent you think you are, or how trivial your attorney tells you the charges are, no one likes to be arraigned.

Politics seem to drive the bus in almost all legal matters. The lead prosecutor, Andrew Lelling, was nominated to his federal post Sept. 2017 by President Trump. He might try to make a name for himself and send a strong message to those amongst the coastal elites who think they can throw money at anyone for anything.

I doubt anyone will do long term jail time, but I also think no one gets off as clean as Jussie. :mad:

MAP may have the inside story on the UCLA situation, , my gut has shifted on this. It’s probably a nothing-burger. The feds are not interested in the women’s program, that we know of. Internally they’ll handle it, and only if the NCAA flexes their muscle will we ever hear which coach allowed Isackson to be rostered. It’s still sketchy though, and sketchy people do sketchy thjngs.

Oh god!! Please don’t. Gets me through my day. Serious though, I wonder why only UCLA and USC are the only schools there focusing on! Interesting
Because it's just too good of a story. Before this story broke, would you ever believe a girl can get on UCLA's women' team by going through a USC coach?

All that showed plead “not guilty”. Maybe the prosecutor will go easy and they’ll get sweetheart deals. I don’t know though. This is the first case of it’s kind that I know of involving a clearly prosecutable case of conspiracy amongst parents and coaches, working with an intermediary to defraud the admissions systems at elite colleges. There’s also the whole
charitable donation/tax fraud angle for some. I don’t care how innocent you think you are, or how trivial your attorney tells you the charges are, no one likes to be arraigned.

Politics seem to drive the bus in almost all legal matters. The lead prosecutor, Andrew Lelling, was nominated to his federal post Sept. 2017 by President Trump. He might try to make a name for himself and send a strong message to those amongst the coastal elites who think they can throw money at anyone for anything.

I doubt anyone will do long term jail time, but I also think no one gets off as clean as Jussie. :mad:

MAP may have the inside story on the UCLA situation, , my gut has shifted on this. It’s probably a nothing-burger. The feds are not interested in the women’s program, that we know of. Internally they’ll handle it, and only if the NCAA flexes their muscle will we ever hear which coach allowed Isackson to be rostered. It’s still sketchy though, and sketchy people do sketchy thjngs.

Is there any info on what the Fed's are investigating? Seems to me what the real scandal here is the cheating on the SAT/ACT test. Maybe standardized testing isn't the usual front page sell-a-million newspapers type story, but fug- if this Singer guy was able to game the system that easy, only charging in the $10k - $20k range, then that sounds to me like we might actually be looking at the tip of an iceberg.

Beyond that, I don't know how many point's Trump would get going after UCLA or USC. Maybe if we we were talking Cal then I could see why politics would matter to Trump and the rabid right wing crazy people. But somehow I just doubt arresting people at UCLA / USC over a handful of kids gaming the system and corrupt coaches will win him many political points in places like Texas or Ohio? It's fun to see your rival lose for a season or two... but not sure Trump coming in and using the government to destroy rival programs is a vote winner.

However if they blow the lid off SAT's scores being for sale... now that might win some hearts and minds. Especially in rural America where a high SAT score is one of the only ways truly gifted (Trump supporting) blue-collar kid would have to go to an elite college out where they wouldn't have access to a guy like Singer.

Last edited:
Is there any info on what the Fed's are investigating? Seems to me what the real scandal here is the cheating on the SAT/ACT test. Maybe standardized testing isn't the usual front page sell-a-million newspapers type story, but fug- if this Singer guy was able to game the system that easy, only charging in the $10k - $20k range, then that sounds to me like we might actually be looking at the tip of an iceberg.

Beyond that, I don't know how many point's Trump would get going after UCLA or USC. Maybe if we we were talking Cal then I could see why politics would matter to Trump and the rabid right wing crazy people. But somehow I just doubt arresting people at UCLA / USC over a handful of kids gaming the system and corrupt coaches will win him many political points in places like Texas or Ohio? It's fun to see your rival lose for a season or two... but not sure Trump coming in and using the government to destroy rival programs is a vote winner.

However if they blow the lid off SAT's scores being for sale... now that might win some hearts and minds. Especially in rural America where a high SAT score is one of the only ways truly gifted (Trump supporting) blue-collar kid would have to go to an elite college out where they wouldn't have access to a guy like Singer.
https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/...ns-scandal-arraigned-in-boston-federal-court/

This an article about the arraignments, the idictment link was posted at the beginning of this thread, which lays out the charges.
From a political standpoint, I was referring to the prosecutor, not the President. As a recent appointee he might look to make his mark.

Interesting to note that for four the eight schools are in California. A nice target for Betsy and her crew, although only two are public.

Seriously, how many club coaches aren't aware of who is on their roster? The women's head coach had to know and approve of everything! Period! This is a top Division 1, soccer program. Give me a break. Everyone in charge of the team should be removed. There are plenty of good, honest coaches out there who would love to coach a group of talented young women. UCLA should not be trying to protect anyone. Period.

Seriously, how many club coaches aren't aware of who is on their roster? The women's head coach had to know and approve of everything! Period! This is a top Division 1, soccer program. Give me a break. Everyone in charge of the team should be removed. There are plenty of good, honest coaches out there who would love to coach a group of talented young women. UCLA should not be trying to protect anyone. Period.
These people are supposed to be teaching and setting these kids up with life lessons, lock em up.

USC because it was rampant and involved administration and UCLA because they were dumb enough to roster a non player that they knew would never see the pitch
Didn't Georgetown have twelve students involved? Isn't there a women, from a Houston high school, very deeply involved with this whole mess? How many of those students who had their SAT's changed etc. that are now at universities across the country? It will be interesting to see what additional information comes out in the next few weeks and months.

You favor punishing the innocent as well as the guilty?

Didn't Georgetown have twelve students involved? Isn't there a women, from a Houston high school, very deeply involved with this whole mess? How many of those students who had their SAT's changed etc. that are now at universities across the country? It will be interesting to see what additional information comes out in the next few weeks and months.

I think it may be reasonable to believe that colleges in some instances did not know about the SAT frauds and accepted the scores at face value.

This has nothing to do with college soccer... but yet, it sort of does.
Signs and wonders.

Opinion: Auburn's Bruce Pearl symbolizes the rot in college athletics
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...arl-auburn-march-madness-sweet-16/3301783002/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Bruce Pearl could outlive a cat.

Just one of his run-ins with the NCAA would have been enough to torpedo the career of pretty much any other coach. There was the secret taping of a recruit to try and bust a rival. There was the barbecue with recruits, at his house, which he made worse by lying about afterward and encouraging his assistants to do the same. There were the assistants caught up in FBI investigations.

Yet here Pearl is, not only still employed, but back in the Sweet 16 for the first time in almost a decade. With Auburn, no less, which doesn’t remotely resemble the kind of backwater school where most disgraced coaches have to go to find redemption.

But that’s Pearl. There is no jam too big for him to escape, no sin too grave for him to be forgiven. Somehow, he’s managed to turn sleaze into an attribute.

“Coach Pearl is enthusiastic and, as welcoming and exciting as he is, he’s been a tremendous blessing for the Auburn family,” Auburn athletic director Allen Greene said last year.

Mind you, Greene made those comments after Auburn had fired one of Pearl’s assistants, Chuck Person, and suspended players Austin Wiley and Daniel Purifoy for their roles in the FBI investigation into college basketball corruption. This is not to be confused with the corruption investigation that resulted in the suspension of another Pearl assistant, Ira Bowman, earlier this month.

But, hey, how about those SEC titles and improved attendance!

“It's not a cesspool. There are some things that are wrong with it, things that take place that are inappropriate. That's the business of college basketball,” Pearl said Thursday when asked about the state of the game. “The reason why the NCAA is involved in this is because it's their job to monitor. It's their job to enforce. It's their job to encourage people to work hard, to do it the right way and not allow some of the other things to seep into the business because of the business and the money and the pressures.

“So again, it's part of the process. The question is, what do you want to focus on? We need to continue to work to keep it clean, but we need to understand all the good that's being done.”

It’s hard to take any of that seriously, listening to Pearl and his three coaching cohorts at the Midwest Regional. Every program here is tarnished in some way, an apt, if not uncomfortable, representation of the game today.

Like Pearl, Houston’s Kelvin Sampson has a show cause penalty on his resume, punishment for hundreds of impermissible calls to recruits while he was at Indiana and Oklahoma. North Carolina has acknowledged that some of its athletes took sham classes, but dodged severe NCAA sanctions by saying it couldn’t be a violation because the bogus classes were available to all students, possibly the most novel defense ever for an institution of higher education.

And while John Calipari hasn’t personally been tied to any violations, his Final Four appearances with UMass and Memphis were later vacated.

“Whether it was going on or not, we'd all be naive to think it was not,” Sampson said when asked about the perpetual stains on college basketball.

Part of the reason Pearl has survived for so long is that he talks a better game than almost anyone. As shrewd and calculated as he is charming, he can deflect from his flaws and failings so effectively you almost forget they existed.

Take Thursday, when he somehow turned a question about his exile from college basketball into a humble brag about being a civil rights champion.

“That was a fight that I was fighting for many years in the '70s and the '80s when I was a young coach, because there was a lot more segregation, there was a lot more racism, antisemitism. It still exists, but worse then,” Pearl said.

How exactly that worked when Pearl, who turned 59 on March 18, didn’t even graduate from Boston College until 1982, I’m not quite sure. Nor do I understand how Pearl squared his passion for social justice with his criticism of Colin Kaepernick for the NFL protests – protests designed to call attention to systemic racism and economic disparity.

But I digress …

The power brokers in college athletics – athletic directors, school presidents, powerful alums – love to claim the moral high ground. In their minds, they are molding the lives and characters of young men and women. The billions that come with it are simply a lucky happenstance.

No doubt Pearl has touched lives and helped many young men along the way. But at what cost? Bottom line, he has survived scandal because he wins. There's something to be said for that but, as we're reminded constantly by guys like him, the game is supposed to be about more than just winning and losing.

Unless that's all a fraud, too.

Wow, over 850 parents involved...
Singer says: "You can tell them I did 760 of these this year, 96 the year before"

I'm guessing there may be an error in that number, as there were several typos in the article. He reportedly said this in May... that would have been a pace of 5 frauds a day. I have to believe the actual number is less. Maybe "76 this year and 96 last year"...? I haven't seen this inflated number anywhere else.

Regardless, it is an outrageous scam that went on for years before anyone stood up and outed anyone. It actually took a crook on his way to federal prison to finally expose this. Every last one of them should be outed in a very public way as the shameless p.o.s. they all are. We need to restore some reasonable level of fair play and respect for each other in our society before the (social) playing field gets tilted past a tipping point.

Back