AYSO player rating

I don't think AYSO is a joke.

My kid played AYSO a couple of seasons + somehow I got sucked into coaching. The first season I worked with the team to point where we beat all the other 4-5 year olds. The second season I went out of my way to give every player an opportunity + a chance to score a goal. At one point at the end of the season I walked the nervous scared player onto the field + held their hand so they would feel confident enough to shoot + score on goal. (Something theyll probably never forget) After the player scored I stayed off the field. These are the kinds of things you can't do in other leagues.

People that put down AYSO need to have their priorities checked.
Your a paragon of naive' virtue Carlsbad.....

I don't think AYSO is a joke.

My kid played AYSO a couple of seasons + somehow I got sucked into coaching. The first season I worked with the team to point where we beat all the other 4-5 year olds. The second season I went out of my way to give every player an opportunity + a chance to score a goal. At one point at the end of the season I walked the nervous scared player onto the field + held their hand so they would feel confident enough to shoot + score on goal. (Something theyll probably never forget) After the player scored I stayed off the field. These are the kinds of things you can't do in other leagues.

People that put down AYSO need to have their priorities checked.

Younger daughter and son both enjoyed playing locally with friends, neighbors, classmates that they really didn't get to play with later on much so they would tell you it was all good.

650k players per year, in all states, cities at low cost is good for youth. Not sure any other org is close to getting youth to participate and learn the game like they do.

Younger daughter and son both enjoyed playing locally with friends, neighbors, classmates that they really didn't get to play with later on much so they would tell you it was all good.

650k players per year, in all states, cities at low cost is good for youth. Not sure any other org is close to getting youth to participate and learn the game like they do.

Absolutely agree, but with club pushing 6 and 7 years old, AYSO runs the risk of being an endangered species. By the time my son went through, our local region was having difficulty organizing U14 teams. With soccer parents bypassing AYSO altogether, it runs the risk that SoCal league becomes the new AYSO (prepping kids for letter league and older more rec oriented players such as for example those with multi sports) and that AYSO just gets bypassed by all the athletically focused kids. The question then happens if the other parents still view it as a quality product if they are only getting nonserious parents, since the more soccer focused kids (along with their coach and ref parents) have moved on.

It appears that cost is not a factor for most soccer parents. No wonder clubs keep increasing the price. I am paying $3500/child/year now.
AYSO would have cost me about $500/child/year.
Of course the AYSO is inferior in comparison to club soccer but if something cost $3000 more then it should not be in the same conversation.

I wonder how many kids that end up playing college started in AYSO? I know Alex Morgan and Landon Donovan are the two most famous alumni, but when you have a kid that has never played, great spot to try out soccer for their first couple years. Play AYSO, NJB, Pop Warner, Little League. Then figure out what your kid wants to do and jump to the next level.

I wonder how many kids that end up playing college started in AYSO?
I have only anecdotal evidence here, but most of my son's colleagues that are still playing and likely to play in college did not play AYSO at any point. This may be because our area has some good rec leagues that filled that niche.

I have only anecdotal evidence here, but most of my son's colleagues that are still playing and likely to play in college did not play AYSO at any point. This may be because our area has some good rec leagues that filled that niche.
Sports have been specializing younger and younger. In soccer, reputable goalkeeper coaches would not touch a kid before 10 when my kid was a toddler. Now you regularly see 8, 7 and even 6 year olds at goalkeeper camps and that's just been over the course of a decade. Yes, a great all around athlete can narrow the gap and catch up with everyone else if they get a late start, but at a certain point even the Goats can't close the gap. It depends on the sport and how much technical training it requires. Now days, if you want to QB for any top high school in SoCal (let alone Texas) you have to be playing by elementary school and focused on the position no later than the beginning of middle school. Football linesman if you have the right body type you can jump in as late 11th grade. Soccer, gymnastics, ice skating, hockey, water polo all tend to the jump in early stage if you want to play at a higher level. Basketball and volleyball if you are good and getting a lot of touches in pickup you can jump in a little later. Running, cycling and swim racing you can jump in later if you've got the athleticism. Tennis and golf occupy this weird place where there's a lot of low level going on at the high schools as a way to fulfill pe requirements, but to get really good at a competitive level you are somewhere before the basketball/volleyball universe. Even in cheer, gone are the days you can walk onto the first squad by being good looking and being able to dance: you are competing against girls that have taken gymnastics and or dance since they were little. At least as far as soccer is concerned, club seems to be starting younger and younger (I remember when Coast used to limit to 9 and up) and you have to have a certain amount of skills to jump into letter leagues: while I agree it is great to sample a bunch of sports while they are very young, the soccer skill gap is unfortunately closing quickly as we push club younger and younger.

I was old slow and scared so I never center refereed. I did AR duty even when I was coaching. AYSO is such a great way for kids to figure out if they like soccer.
I guess by working thru the concrete pourer acting as a coach? The bloated dysfunctional AYSO bureaucracy- you AYSOers' need to get out more...

I guess by working thru the concrete pourer acting as a coach? The bloated dysfunctional AYSO bureaucracy- you AYSOers' need to get out more...
To old and slow for that as well. Wonder what burned you on AYSO? Maybe you are a DOC that got yelled at for trying to poach players during Extra tryouts. Or you couldn't pass the AYSO livescan to coach for AYSO.

To old and slow for that as well. Wonder what burned you on AYSO? Maybe you are a DOC that got yelled at for trying to poach players during Extra tryouts. Or you couldn't pass the AYSO livescan to coach for AYSO.

Right?

AYSO is still a great resource for many kids to get out and have fun playing soccer at a super affordable price. Go out and watch a few games one weekend and see how many kids are having a great time. I still love to ref AYSO now and then. After doing club games at various ages and levels, it is refreshing to go out and volunteer and watch kids just having fun. Of course there are some crazy parents, but nothing like I see at club.

Right?

AYSO is still a great resource for many kids to get out and have fun playing soccer at a super affordable price. Go out and watch a few games one weekend and see how many kids are having a great time. I still love to ref AYSO now and then. After doing club games at various ages and levels, it is refreshing to go out and volunteer and watch kids just having fun. Of course there are some crazy parents, but nothing like I see at club.
I agree with much of this, but really the AYSO parents are far crazier on average than club parents

You left out the crappy AYSO playing fields, parents coaching their kids (talk about a "conflict of interest"), the insane, over-invested AYSO parents and overrated "volunteerism" aspect of AYSO (communism???) FYI, most murders, robberies, rapes etc. are committed by folks who pass Livescans with flying colors... (AYSO naivete' shining brightly again....)

You left out the crappy AYSO playing fields, parents coaching their kids (talk about a "conflict of interest"), the insane, over-invested AYSO parents
Happens in club at 5X the cost

FYI, most murders, robberies, rapes etc. are committed by folks who pass Livescans with flying colors... (AYSO naivete' shining brightly again....)
I'd love to see the data that you have that backs up this comment. :oops:

I'd love to see the data that you have that backs up this comment. :oops:

It's actually a developing hot topic, particularly given the safetyism we've fallen into in recent decades regarding helicopter parenting/free range parenting; covid restrictions; and things like TSA screening. I've only seen one study, related to the Nevada law which requires school volunteers to get background checks run by the group that opposed that law. It, unsurprisingly, found that most crimes are committed by people not on registries.

On the one hand, the checks are kind of pointless in that they aren't going to catch anyone that hasn't yet been caught. They are expensive especially if fingerprinting is involved (raising the cost of involvement for everyone), and burdensome for volunteers (since you have to take time off from whatever you are doing, discouraging people who don't like the bother or who are less well off from volunteering). When we gripe about quality refs and coaches not being available, it's part of the reason...the mountain of safetyism training now even my teen son has to do for his service hours volunteering is daunting...and none of this time is compensated for. On the other hand, it looks really bad for your organization both in the press and from a liability point of view if you don't do the screening and you fail to catch someone on the sex offender registry who then goes off and does something bad. It also serves as a velvet rope because someone on such a registry would violate their parole if they tried to volunteer. But ultimately, the insurance companies insist upon it, so even if this is is a bandaid from a safety point of view, it's one that our convoluted safety structure insists upon so long as we have said structure. One maxim I subscribed to is that every enterprise moves from simple to more convoluted the more time that passes for so long as said enterprise is in existence.

Back