AYSO player rating

Jamisfoes

SILVER ELITE
Anybody know if AYSO player rating goes with the player if a player moves from one region to a different region? I don't want my kid to get drafted high when I know he will miss a bunch of games. Want to know if I put him in a new AYSO region, would they still see his rating from the previous region.

I highly, highly doubt it. The regions don't speak with each other much. The new region should have tryouts, or make a guess on his ability to achieve teams that are similarly rated overall.. It's an art, nowhere near a science1

Anybody know if AYSO player rating goes with the player if a player moves from one region to a different region? I don't want my kid to get drafted high when I know he will miss a bunch of games. Want to know if I put him in a new AYSO region, would they still see his rating from the previous region.
Agree with SDR. Unlikely that one region will pass along player details to another.

Be aware that, if a very strong player will miss a ton of games, it’s not a great fit for rec soccer. AYSO tries to have teams be roughly balanced. Hard to do that if mini-Mbappe is there for half the games and absent for the other half. You end up with a team which dominates half the time and gets crushed half the time.

Not a big deal if AYSO is is primary team and he just has a ton of things going on. If he already has a club team and gets good minutes there, might be kinder to just focus on that.

There is no repository of ratings, and his rating won't go with him, unless someone knows him in the new region.
But there's very little actual balancing of teams that goes on in AYSO, if they are going to be being honest with you. Get to know the division coordinator or the commissioner and your super star player will be magically ("randomly") placed on the division's super team.
But regardless how you frame it, this is pretty much sandbagging, and I would just sign him up in your home region. You want your skilled kid to be on a strong team, so that they crush other teams when he shows up, but then they are competitive when he's away? Look, someone's kid is getting crushed in that scenario, so do the other families a favor and just tell it like it is.

There is no repository of ratings, and his rating won't go with him, unless someone knows him in the new region.
But there's very little actual balancing of teams that goes on in AYSO, if they are going to be being honest with you. Get to know the division coordinator or the commissioner and your super star player will be magically ("randomly") placed on the division's super team.
But regardless how you frame it, this is pretty much sandbagging, and I would just sign him up in your home region. You want your skilled kid to be on a strong team, so that they crush other teams when he shows up, but then they are competitive when he's away? Look, someone's kid is getting crushed in that scenario, so do the other families a favor and just tell it like it is.
It sounds like the OP just doesn't want his kid to be rated the "5". If he's missing a bunch of games, the team will be crushed as the 5 are typically the main goalscorers and it sounds like he just doesn't want the other kids to moan "oh little tommy's not here today....we're going to get crushed...we hate him because his club team is more important". It is absolutely true that balancing of teams is imperfect and there is absolutely funny business that goes on in creating things like super team. The said, most regions do give at least lip service to balancing. The main problem is that the ratings aren't particularly accurate. My son's second year (only played 2 years of core before doing extras), the coach of the team from the first year decided he was going to be nice, and since they won most of their games, rated every player a five, including one player with some handicapable issues. My son got assigned to the team where 3 of the players rated a 5 were rated, and where a second handicapable player (the coach's son) was also assigned (the coach's son not being in the draft). There's a cap in most regions on the number of 5s you can take....it was a disaster....my son rated a 4 and another kid rated a 4 were the two strongest players on the team and between them had maybe 10 goals all season (they also each had to do a stint in goal which took them off the field)....they lost every game except tied 1.

It seems the bigger issue, though, is the missing of games and missing supposedly of practices (since they'll conflict with club practices). I'm not a proponent of players getting extra play time in AYSO core, even if they are a bencher. The other players lose something by the missing player not being there in practice, and the swing in expectations makes it difficult for the coach to make a line up. At a certain point (when they move to 11v11) it will also start to drive the club player crazy. There was a father on here who advocated it would make his daughter a stronger player and leader, but IIRC it didn't work out that way. He did it right, however, and he agreed to coach, so the repercussions of this arrangement would be on him, and not some third party to figure out, especially since at the younger ages AYSO tends to limit the numbers they put on teams in order to maximize playtime (if 3 are out ill, on vacation, or playing in a club team, that's it and you are playing undermanned). Being the coach also works in that in most regions, if it's your kid, they aren't in the draft.

It sounds like the OP just doesn't want his kid to be rated the "5". If he's missing a bunch of games, the team will be crushed as the 5 are typically the main goalscorers and it sounds like he just doesn't want the other kids to moan "oh little tommy's not here today....we're going to get crushed...we hate him because his club team is more important". It is absolutely true that balancing of teams is imperfect and there is absolutely funny business that goes on in creating things like super team. The said, most regions do give at least lip service to balancing. The main problem is that the ratings aren't particularly accurate. My son's second year (only played 2 years of core before doing extras), the coach of the team from the first year decided he was going to be nice, and since they won most of their games, rated every player a five, including one player with some handicapable issues. My son got assigned to the team where 3 of the players rated a 5 were rated, and where a second handicapable player (the coach's son) was also assigned (the coach's son not being in the draft). There's a cap in most regions on the number of 5s you can take....it was a disaster....my son rated a 4 and another kid rated a 4 were the two strongest players on the team and between them had maybe 10 goals all season (they also each had to do a stint in goal which took them off the field)....they lost every game except tied 1.

It seems the bigger issue, though, is the missing of games and missing supposedly of practices (since they'll conflict with club practices). I'm not a proponent of players getting extra play time in AYSO core, even if they are a bencher. The other players lose something by the missing player not being there in practice, and the swing in expectations makes it difficult for the coach to make a line up. At a certain point (when they move to 11v11) it will also start to drive the club player crazy. There was a father on here who advocated it would make his daughter a stronger player and leader, but IIRC it didn't work out that way. He did it right, however, and he agreed to coach, so the repercussions of this arrangement would be on him, and not some third party to figure out, especially since at the younger ages AYSO tends to limit the numbers they put on teams in order to maximize playtime (if 3 are out ill, on vacation, or playing in a club team, that's it and you are playing undermanned). Being the coach also works in that in most regions, if it's your kid, they aren't in the draft.
Obviously, but even in that scenario, then the OP's kid's team crushes the other teams when the kid happens to be there, because they got their normal 5 in the draft, and then another 5 outside the draft. So he's just choosing some other kids to get crushed, and his kid to be the hero each game doing the crushing because he adds the additional star player.

Obviously, but even in that scenario, then the OP's kid's team crushes the other teams when the kid happens to be there, because they got their normal 5 in the draft, and then another 5 outside the draft. So he's just choosing some other kids to get crushed, and his kid to be the hero each game doing the crushing because he adds the additional star player.
My kid plays AYSO because it's fun. No one is getting crushed. They have this 5 goal differential rule. You won't see 13-0 games in AYSO like you seeing in clubs.

My kid plays AYSO because it's fun. No one is getting crushed. They have this 5 goal differential rule. You won't see 13-0 games in AYSO like you seeing in clubs.
Yes but the question is that your kid is committing to an activity that he cannot fully commit to. Is it fair to the others whether on his team, the coach, or other teams? My kid had the same issue in band. He because of letter league soccer found himself unable to make commitments on weekends and both as he got older became increasingly scheduled. Unfair to the conductor and the fellow band students so he had to hang it up and hand the chair over to his friend. That was sad for me as I rather have him do band than soccer.

the issue if he’s away is that not only does it wildly swing the results, but because ayso doesn’t stack deep you might be short players. Then there’s practices too. You can mitigate this if you coach because you have some say in the practice times and can call in favors to move around games if you do it far enough in advance. But like my son and band it increasingly becomes impossible as they get older.

Yes but the question is that your kid is committing to an activity that he cannot fully commit to. Is it fair to the others whether on his team, the coach, or other teams? My kid had the same issue in band. He because of letter league soccer found himself unable to make commitments on weekends and both as he got older became increasingly scheduled. Unfair to the conductor and the fellow band students so he had to hang it up and hand the chair over to his friend. That was sad for me as I rather have him do band than soccer.

the issue if he’s away is that not only does it wildly swing the results, but because ayso doesn’t stack deep you might be short players. Then there’s practices too. You can mitigate this if you coach because you have some say in the practice times and can call in favors to move around games if you do it far enough in advance. But like my son and band it increasingly becomes impossible as they get older.
We are always committed to a team and plan to be there to play every game, until somebody gets sick, birthday parties, weddings and club games get in the way. That's the beauty of rec leagues, low commitment.

Ayso has player ratings?

First soccer game on grass when our youngest was u6 was interesting,he had already been dribbling the ball for months prior so it was comedy at the games, feed the machine the ball; as he would also out run the herd and pour in goals like water. At first he didn't understand why they wouldn't let him have the ball after the first 10 minutes of a games.

Region moved him up to u8 3 game or so since it is as just ridiculous and still was putting in 3x or more . Had a blast actually, he's never been one to celebrate much but he needed more challenges, so played up 2 or more ages until he went academy.

THE regular program is fine for most kids and it's good they offer beyond core now which wasn't the case for his region back in those days.

Ayso has player ratings?

First soccer game on grass when our youngest was u6 was interesting,he had already been dribbling the ball for months prior so it was comedy at the games, feed the machine the ball; as he would also out run the herd and pour in goals like water. At first he didn't understand why they wouldn't let him have the ball after the first 10 minutes of a games.

Region moved him up to u8 3 game or so since it is as just ridiculous and still was putting in 3x or more . Had a blast actually, he's never been one to celebrate much but he needed more challenges, so played up 2 or more ages until he went academy.

THE regular program is fine for most kids and it's good they offer beyond core now which wasn't the case for his region back in those days.
Each player has a ranking of 1-9, given by previous coaches. It’s essentially a stanine. You should have a ton of 5s and very few 9s.

On the field, a ULittle “9” looks like you described. Gets the ball and dribbles the field, regardless of what everyone else is doing. Put two of them on the same team, and the game gets very boring. 5-0 after the first 5 minutes, and the rest of the game is keep away.

So they use the rankings to try to create balanced teams. Take the 7s, 8s, and 9s and split them across different teams. In some regions, the rankings can override buddy forms.

I hadn't heard of a 5 goals rule in AYSO when I was involved, but maybe it is there now. What do they do when it goes 5-0 - terminate the game after 10 minutes? I saw plenty of double-digit blowouts in AYSO over the years.
No one is going to benefit from the OP'S kid avoiding an accurate ranking other than the OP's kid. His teammates will benefit on the weekends when OP's kid happens to be there - assuming they enjoy winning 5-0 blowouts against kids whose parents allowed their boys to be ranked accurately.

I hadn't heard of a 5 goals rule in AYSO when I was involved, but maybe it is there now. What do they do when it goes 5-0 - terminate the game after 10 minutes? I saw plenty of double-digit blowouts in AYSO over the years.
No one is going to benefit from the OP'S kid avoiding an accurate ranking other than the OP's kid. His teammates will benefit on the weekends when OP's kid happens to be there - assuming they enjoy winning 5-0 blowouts against kids whose parents allowed their boys to be ranked accurately.
Usually they keep playing + the dominate team keeps scoring goals until the end of the game. But when the ref submits the score it gets recorded as 5-0 (or whatever 5 goal differential is more than the team not scoring)

Its AYSO + you're going to have blowouts.

Kids having fun is all that matters.

We are always committed to a team and plan to be there to play every game, until somebody gets sick, birthday parties, weddings and club games get in the way. That's the beauty of rec leagues, low commitment.
I think most people here join club soccer and forgot about AYSO. Parents join because it is a low commitment activity. When my 2 kids in AYSO, most parents are happy when kids don't show up (more play time). There is no lineup, the coach is there to make sure everyone plays at least 3 quarters and everyone has to be the goalie at least for one game in the season. Some kids cried refusing to be a goalie but good coaches still enforce it to be fair to others.
Same deal when we joined AYSO extra, most practices have less than 6 players and the coach is relieved when we don't have to play short in a game.
However, I guess there are more serious AYSO teams out there because we lost most of the time :)

There was a father on here who advocated it would make his daughter a stronger player and leader, but IIRC it didn't work out that way. He did it right, however, and he agreed to coach, so the repercussions of this arrangement would be on him, and not some third party to figure out, especially since at the younger ages AYSO tends to limit the numbers they put on teams in order to maximize playtime (if 3 are out ill, on vacation, or playing in a club team, that's it and you are playing undermanned). Being the coach also works in that in most regions, if it's your kid, they aren't in the draft.
Back when my daughter was age 10 and 11, and was learning to play keeper for her club team, I coached her for two years in AYSO and she played striker. I controlled the practice times and she only missed a half a game once, which was the final of the midseason tourney. She made it back in the second half to score twice and we won 2-0. Miss those days. Very tough to do both. I felt in our case if made sense because at the time she wasn't sure if she wanted to play keeper full time and the other keeper on the club team was always getting hurt so she wasn't getting any field time in club. Funny our league had a 75% play rule, which always made things interesting as every kid had to sit out one quarter, but if a kid was missing you could then have your best player play the whole game. I still have old spreadsheets figuring out where the 7 kids were playing and what grouping for each quarter (yes, I know, soccer has halves, but they had subs come in halfway through each half). So it wasn't the end of the world if one kid missed as you could then get some players extra time.

Side note 2 of those players besides my daughter are playing college. Wasn't my coaching. I just tried to make it fun for the girls and let my daughter lead the practices. Knew more about the game then I did at age 10. I did know how to make good lineups. :)

Back when my daughter was age 10 and 11, and was learning to play keeper for her club team, I coached her for two years in AYSO and she played striker. I controlled the practice times and she only missed a half a game once, which was the final of the midseason tourney. She made it back in the second half to score twice and we won 2-0. Miss those days. Very tough to do both. I felt in our case if made sense because at the time she wasn't sure if she wanted to play keeper full time and the other keeper on the club team was always getting hurt so she wasn't getting any field time in club. Funny our league had a 75% play rule, which always made things interesting as every kid had to sit out one quarter, but if a kid was missing you could then have your best player play the whole game. I still have old spreadsheets figuring out where the 7 kids were playing and what grouping for each quarter (yes, I know, soccer has halves, but they had subs come in halfway through each half). So it wasn't the end of the world if one kid missed as you could then get some players extra time.

Side note 2 of those players besides my daughter are playing college. Wasn't my coaching. I just tried to make it fun for the girls and let my daughter lead the practices. Knew more about the game then I did at age 10. I did know how to make good lineups. :)
You did it right...you coached minimizing the disruption and making it your problem instead of someone else's. The problem with everyone not taking serious is that you'll at the younger ages fall under the regular players and maybe even under the required # of players. Dad4 can do the math way better than I, but given that a certain number of players will be out any week for illness or injury, if all families decide they are only in it for 2/3 of the games, how many with a 9 player team playing 7v7 will it take (especially in a bad cold week) before you are below 7?

In one of my first games I centered refereed for AYSO was a 9v9 with 11-12 on each squad. Team A had 9 players at the start of the game. One player had an owie and didn't want to/couldn't go back in first quarter. Team B agreed to reduce to equivalent number in the name of fair play. Another player from team A had to leave early (I think to a birthday party) at the half. We are now down to 7 on Team A. Team B again agreed to reduce to equivalent number (they were winning anyways by a few goals, but now their players especially the better ones had less play time). Team A then has its best player get frustrated and not want to reenter. They are down to 6. I actually stop the match at this point because I don't know what to do if another player goes down and Team B doesn't want to reduce further because they don't want their players to not get any playtime. I am told by the supervising ref under the rules there is no obligation for Team B to reduce and I must call it if an incident causes a player to have to be removed and they fall below the required 6 on the field. I call lots of water breaks for the remaining time.

You did it right...you coached minimizing the disruption and making it your problem instead of someone else's. The problem with everyone not taking serious is that you'll at the younger ages fall under the regular players and maybe even under the required # of players. Dad4 can do the math way better than I, but given that a certain number of players will be out any week for illness or injury, if all families decide they are only in it for 2/3 of the games, how many with a 9 player team playing 7v7 will it take (especially in a bad cold week) before you are below 7?

In one of my first games I centered refereed for AYSO was a 9v9 with 11-12 on each squad. Team A had 9 players at the start of the game. One player had an owie and didn't want to/couldn't go back in first quarter. Team B agreed to reduce to equivalent number in the name of fair play. Another player from team A had to leave early (I think to a birthday party) at the half. We are now down to 7 on Team A. Team B again agreed to reduce to equivalent number (they were winning anyways by a few goals, but now their players especially the better ones had less play time). Team A then has its best player get frustrated and not want to reenter. They are down to 6. I actually stop the match at this point because I don't know what to do if another player goes down and Team B doesn't want to reduce further because they don't want their players to not get any playtime. I am told by the supervising ref under the rules there is no obligation for Team B to reduce and I must call it if an incident causes a player to have to be removed and they fall below the required 6 on the field. I call lots of water breaks for the remaining time.
I was old slow and scared so I never center refereed. I did AR duty even when I was coaching. AYSO is such a great way for kids to figure out if they like soccer.

AYSO is a joke- period. They can barely remember their own name, much less rate soccer players....

AYSO is a joke- period. They can barely remember their own name, much less rate soccer players....
I don't think AYSO is a joke.

My kid played AYSO a couple of seasons + somehow I got sucked into coaching. The first season I worked with the team to point where we beat all the other 4-5 year olds. The second season I went out of my way to give every player an opportunity + a chance to score a goal. At one point at the end of the season I walked the nervous scared player onto the field + held their hand so they would feel confident enough to shoot + score on goal. (Something theyll probably never forget) After the player scored I stayed off the field. These are the kinds of things you can't do in other leagues.

People that put down AYSO need to have their priorities checked.

Back