Where does the Money Go? (Take II)

Here are the facts as I have been told by many involved in this situation.
#1 - Person who ran CDA YL/Tustin was not happy about CDA merging with OCP
#2 - Person who ran CDA YL/Tustin agreed to give up license and move over to Slammers FC Newport
#3 - Coaches and DOC decide to leave to go to CDA Orange due to individual not providing adequate services such as fields with lights
#4 - YL teams are under contract with CDA not Slammers FC until after State Cup/National Cup
#5 - Person who ran CDA YL/Tustin who is now with Slammers FC has drained CDA Slammers team account and taken those funds to Slammers FC Newport.
#6 - Current CDA YL teams and coaches are now without any funds to run team

Ohhhh #4-6 if true are bad things :).

So if my DD's coach at West Coast decides to leave and go to another club mid season is West Coast going to continue pay him? Then a group of us parents decides to follow him Midseason and ask for our money back from West Coast are they going to cut us checks? They are absolutely NOT going to give any money back. Not sure why this concept is so hard. You quit!! Don't expect any money.

So if my DD's coach at West Coast decides to leave and go to another club mid season is West Coast going to continue pay him?
No, of course not, unless he is owed back-pay. He should be paid for his time served.

Then a group of us parents decides to follow him Midseason and ask for our money back from West Coast are they going to cut us checks?
Depending on what the club contract says about annual fees and refund policies, the club may or may not be legally responsible for refunding money paid in advance by a parent. But "team accounts" are usually something different. These are the costs anticipated by teams who sign up for tournaments, or referee fees, or other sundries. These funds do not "belong" to either the club or the "team." The funds are being held for the benefit of the parents. If any parent wants a refund of the these amounts, then the person or organization in charge of the account must return the funds. Especially if the team has moved to another club, where the parents have no contractual obligation whatsoever.

They are absolutely NOT going to give any money back. Not sure why this concept is so hard. You quit!! Don't expect any money.
Can't argue with you there. People and clubs don't always do the right thing.

None of the coaches quit. They moved to lit fields that belong to another CDA affiliate.

Furthermore, most of YL CDA slammers never were able to play or practice in yorba linda as promised. A few teams got space at yorba linda HS, but the closest my kids' teams got was placentia and that was because they were playing a Pats team that actually secured space in their cities. Our practice field had no lights. The DOC brought in portable lights but we got kicked out because our club fees were not being used pay the private school for use of their field

None of the coaches quit. They moved to lit fields that belong to another CDA affiliate.

Furthermore, most of YL CDA slammers never were able to play or practice in yorba linda as promised. A few teams got space at yorba linda HS, but the closest my kids' teams got was placentia and that was because they were playing a Pats team that actually secured space in their cities. Our practice field had no lights. The DOC brought in portable lights but we got kicked out because our club fees were not being used pay the private school for use of their field
And what happened to fitness camp and all that golf tournament money?

Coaches quit, no coaches quit. CDA OC, Slammers FC, no transition until after state cup. Sheet there is so much conflicting information here. Does anyone know what is happening? LOL

Then the person who took the funds better refund every penny funds to the parents who paid in. He or she could be in a lot of legal trouble soon.

Probably need to get the Carmago's involved. Since the team is still CDA they should have a ton of influence on this and can support the team

That doesn't make sense. If they are practicing with another CDA affiliate, then that's another club's insurance situation, etc. Real world example: It's like leaving one Allstate office for some other Allstate office - different LLC, different payroll, etc.

So, yes, sounds like the coaches quit your club.

I don't know the coaches nor do I know their insight on these issues. But, my guess is that they aren't MBA-level business people.
"We aren't quitting, we are just moving to a field with lights. CDA is CDA." -- sounds like something someone would say that just wants to coach soccer and is only thinking about soccer and what's best for the kids (And rightfully so). But- they aren't considering the business aspect of this. CDA isn't CDA for every organization. It's like if someone wanted to take a team from OC Strikers or MV Strikers - They might be able to work out some sort of "deal" to make it happen without too much trouble, but you can't just take your ball and move without discussing the details.
I hope this works out for the kids and their families, but this sounds like it's going to get messy for a while.
If any parents on the team are attorneys, it sounds like a good time for them to get their kid a free spot for life on one of these teams.

The lesson learned should be "Do not set up a team account under the club's corporate account". If this is indeed a separate bucket the club should not have any objection to it being an independent account.

My thought on the legality of this mess. Who cares Slammers need to protect its brand. It is one things to have one or two families up in arms, it is a whole different thing to have one or two teams up in arms, but this mess involves lots of teams, coaches, and families plus alot of money. At an average of $6k a team over 16 players that $375/player. If this are team funds and the club can not prove otherwise it is in your face stealing. I do not know this Patterson fellow but wow he does not sound like a person I want in my circle.

So if I get this right as it is not clear; teams left CDA to Slammers and CDA kept their money. if that is right I would say that is likely standard operating. If a team leaves to another club the funds they leave behind are gone and they should have spent it all before they left. Right or wrong I believe that is the general way it works. I have experienced this and before the team left we signed up for every tourney we could in advance to ensure our funds at the departing club were close to nil
divide the money up and give it back to the families. It is theirs

Sounds like a breach in contract, I suggest getting an attorney. A few years back my buddy was at Yellow South Soccer Club and his coach left Yellow South to form Red South Soccer club with two teams. Both teams followed coach, coach decides to leave Red South back to Yellow South. My Buddy was under contract with Red South and paid his dues in full. My buddy follows coach back to Yellow South. Well, Red South would not refund him his Soccer fees. He( my Buddy) hires an attorney and gets his Soccer fee's back in full. Keep in mind this happened between Spring- Summer before league play. Good Luck

Lost in all of this is that many of you seem to live in/near Yorba Linda. Haha.

All the parents had to sign up for duty before they lost their money.
I doubt anyone will volunteer if this is not resolved. Is CDA Tustin still running Rockstar? What happens to the teams that were suppose to play for free but left to CDA OC?

Back