Where does the Money Go? (Take II)

Chicharito

BRONZE
So can anyone shed more light on how a club like Slammers FC thinks it is fair game to underhand teams of "Team Funds"? Apparently CDA Tustin/YL now Slammers FC found it righteous to clean out team accounts of team funds if a team decided to find its own way with CDA OC. Whoever found this to be a good idea should be removed from the organization, as the downfall from such poor foresight could have a big impact to the overall "Brand".

The person responsible is Steve Patterson. He emptied my two kids' team account of about $6000 a piece. He is upset that the yorba linda coaches moved over to CDA slammers of Orange so they could practice on lit fields. He also is threatening to replace coaches before state cup. even though we were already registered and accepted with the CDA Slammers, not Slammers FC where he went to right after OCP joined CDA,

The shit hit the fan last night when we all received an email threatening us that if we did not abandon the coaches we have contracts with through state cup, and commit to his new slammers FC out fit with in 48 hours, he would assume we are resigning from the club and we would forfeit all team fees.

here is his delightful holiday greeting sent 3 days before we go dark...

Dear Parents,

Your coach has officially resigned from CDA Slammers FC Yorba Linda.

In light of the changes with our coaching staff, CDA Slammers FC Yorba Linda and Tustin will continue to support all player’s commitments to the club. We have made some changes in the organization but all commitments stay intact. CDA Slammers FC Tustin and Yorba Linda have officially become Slammers FC. This in no way will effect the commitment made to your teams and will only benefit them moving forward.

What happens now that your coach is no longer part of the organization?

By your coach leaving they are no longer employed for any work needed by or organization. No different than if they left any other company. Our responsibility is to the player and the team. Moving forward we will hire a new coach to replace all departing coaches. We understand that some players will follow coaches and other will want to stay. Unfortunately this always presents situations that are not ideal for all parties but we are committed to all players that are committed to the club. We ask that all players inform the club if you you plan to stay so that we can get a full count of players for each team. You have the option to move to other Slammers FC teams from Newport and new teams forming as well. If enough return then a new coach will be put in place.

Financial Info

As a courtesy reminder player’s commitments are to the club and not to the team or coaches. Our responsibility as a club is to fulfill our commitment to all players. We understand that some players will leave and follow coaches that have left or have been let go and other players will want to stay with the club. This always presents situations that are not ideal for all parties but we are committed to all players. Coaches leaving or being released by the club in no way makes you obligated to follow those coaches. Though we understand that some will. If you have chosen to move on with your coach to a new club please understand that you have forfeited your commitment to the club and all financials will stay with the club.

Questions

Please feel free to reach out to the club with any questions.

We look forward to hearing back from each of you individually.

Player Commitment or Resignation from Slammers FC
CLICK HERE

* Please reply within 48 hours or we will assume you have resigned from the club.

Happy Holidays!

So if I get this right as it is not clear; teams left CDA to Slammers and CDA kept their money. if that is right I would say that is likely standard operating. If a team leaves to another club the funds they leave behind are gone and they should have spent it all before they left. Right or wrong I believe that is the general way it works. I have experienced this and before the team left we signed up for every tourney we could in advance to ensure our funds at the departing club were close to nil

Is there some rule that a team fund account needs to be kept by the club?
Why not let a team manager hold on to it? (of course, they could still leave and take the money).

the teams that left were CDA and are still cda, just at orange. CDA Slammers of Tustin and Yorba Linda are now Slammer FC and no longer affiliated with CDA.

This Patterson guy sounds like a real winner, not sure why Whalid and the Camargos would want to be associated with this guy if this is true. Maybe JO has returned in this Patterson guys body.
Is it just me or is this becoming one of the dirtiest businesses out there, remember its supposed to be about the kids

This Patterson guy sounds like a real winner, not sure why Whalid and the Camargos would want to be associated with this guy if this is true. Maybe JO has returned in this Patterson guys body.
Is it just me or is this becoming one of the dirtiest businesses out there, remember its supposed to be about the kids
It stopped being about the kids as soon as men in track suits started making a living out of this. The advent of academy was the beginning of the end. Then ECNL, then Scdsl, it's our fault.

Those coaches should have been smart enough to know that a club is not going to allow them to leave and take the all their players with them before state cup is over.

How was there $6k in team funds left over this late in the year? That seems like quite a lot. What was that money supposed to be used for?

The person responsible is Steve Patterson. He emptied my two kids' team account of about $6000 a piece. He is upset that the yorba linda coaches moved over to CDA slammers of Orange so they could practice on lit fields. He also is threatening to replace coaches before state cup. even though we were already registered and accepted with the CDA Slammers, not Slammers FC where he went to right after OCP joined CDA,

The shit hit the fan last night when we all received an email threatening us that if we did not abandon the coaches we have contracts with through state cup, and commit to his new slammers FC out fit with in 48 hours, he would assume we are resigning from the club and we would forfeit all team fees.

here is his delightful holiday greeting sent 3 days before we go dark...

Dear Parents,

Your coach has officially resigned from CDA Slammers FC Yorba Linda.

In light of the changes with our coaching staff, CDA Slammers FC Yorba Linda and Tustin will continue to support all player’s commitments to the club. We have made some changes in the organization but all commitments stay intact. CDA Slammers FC Tustin and Yorba Linda have officially become Slammers FC. This in no way will effect the commitment made to your teams and will only benefit them moving forward.

What happens now that your coach is no longer part of the organization?

By your coach leaving they are no longer employed for any work needed by or organization. No different than if they left any other company. Our responsibility is to the player and the team. Moving forward we will hire a new coach to replace all departing coaches. We understand that some players will follow coaches and other will want to stay. Unfortunately this always presents situations that are not ideal for all parties but we are committed to all players that are committed to the club. We ask that all players inform the club if you you plan to stay so that we can get a full count of players for each team. You have the option to move to other Slammers FC teams from Newport and new teams forming as well. If enough return then a new coach will be put in place.

Financial Info

As a courtesy reminder player’s commitments are to the club and not to the team or coaches. Our responsibility as a club is to fulfill our commitment to all players. We understand that some players will leave and follow coaches that have left or have been let go and other players will want to stay with the club. This always presents situations that are not ideal for all parties but we are committed to all players. Coaches leaving or being released by the club in no way makes you obligated to follow those coaches. Though we understand that some will. If you have chosen to move on with your coach to a new club please understand that you have forfeited your commitment to the club and all financials will stay with the club.

Questions

Please feel free to reach out to the club with any questions.

We look forward to hearing back from each of you individually.

CLICK HERE

* Please reply within 48 hours or we will assume you have resigned from the club.

Happy Holidays!

You had a contract with the coach? I find that hard to believe. I would think you had a contract with the club and that club still holds the contract just under a different affiliation/name. I see nothing wrong here. Maybe I am confused.

CLICK HERE

Happy Holidays![/QUOTE]

Happy Holidays indeed. For Christmas Suzy wants to keep her coach and at least half her team mates. Mommy doesn't want to have to buy a new uniform that will be good until spring, and Daddy just wants to know how Slammers Fc and CDA Slammers have a business relationship still. Maybe CDA (Can't Decide Affiliation) should just go back to being Infinity.

What coaches are leaving?
Did I get this right-
CDA Slammers Tustin/YL is moving to "Slammers" (the original from Newport).
And a new CDA Slammers group is forming which will be known as CDA Slammers Orange? (Which was known as OJSC before?).

It is hard to decipher what is going on here. Without knowing details, this is what it sounds like to me:

Coaches left, and players and/or teams followed. The old club then confiscated all of the money in the "team" accounts of the teams leaving.

If so, then the old club better refund the money to the individual parents who put the money into the team accounts. In all cases I have seen, "team"accounts are not "club" accounts, even though clubs are often co-signators. These team accounts are typically "trust" accounts used as a matter of convenience to hold parents' money for tournament and referee fees in one place. They are not meant to hold fees owed to the club's benefit, and I would bet a thousand dollars that the club in question has no written contract with its parents saying otherwise. The money in the "team" account is parents' money, pure and simple. It must be returned to the individual parents who contributed the funds in the amount of their contributions. So Joey's Dad gets back his $700, and Billy's Dad gets back his $575, or whatever each parent's actual contribution was.

When a club takes this money, it is "converting" the parent's money to its own use, which is a tort at least, and possibly a crime.

How was there $6k in team funds left over this late in the year? That seems like quite a lot. What was that money supposed to be used for?
The 6 K was in two accounts for two teams. Club fees were paid in September and the balance was for coaches, ref fees, and a little left over because we did not play a in a couple of tournaments that we budgeted for last spring.

It is hard to decipher what is going on here. Without knowing details, this is what it sounds like to me:

Coaches left, and players and/or teams followed. The old club then confiscated all of the money in the "team" accounts of the teams leaving.

If so, then the old club better refund the money to the individual parents who put the money into the team accounts. In all cases I have seen, "team"accounts are not "club" accounts, even though clubs are often co-signators. These team accounts are typically "trust" accounts used as a matter of convenience to hold parents' money for tournament and referee fees in one place. They are not meant to hold fees owed to the club's benefit, and I would bet a thousand dollars that the club in question has no written contract with its parents saying otherwise. The money in the "team" account is parents' money, pure and simple. It must be returned to the individual parents who contributed the funds in the amount of their contributions. So Joey's Dad gets back his $700, and Billy's Dad gets back his $575, or whatever each parent's actual contribution was.

When a club takes this money, it is "converting" the parent's money to its own use, which is a tort at least, and possibly a crime.

pretty much sums it up.

The 6 K was in two accounts for two teams. Club fees were paid in September and the balance was for coaches, ref fees, and a little left over because we did not play a in a couple of tournaments that we budgeted for last spring.
How much of that was due to the coaches? How often are they paid?
Seems that if they left their employer, they should be paid for any time they worked but hadn't been paid for yet. Any future earnings likely doesn't get paid to the coach.

The money stays in the club. If the team still exists (ID staying with Club), which I would argue they will say that it does, the players that left quit the team to go somewhere else. No club is going to refund for that

Here are the facts as I have been told by many involved in this situation.
#1 - Person who ran CDA YL/Tustin was not happy about CDA merging with OCP
#2 - Person who ran CDA YL/Tustin agreed to give up license and move over to Slammers FC Newport
#3 - Coaches and DOC decide to leave to go to CDA Orange due to individual not providing adequate services such as fields with lights
#4 - YL teams are under contract with CDA not Slammers FC until after State Cup/National Cup
#5 - Person who ran CDA YL/Tustin who is now with Slammers FC has drained CDA Slammers team account and taken those funds to Slammers FC Newport.
#6 - Current CDA YL teams and coaches are now without any funds to run team

That was one of the most poorly constructed emails I have seen in a while. Crappy situation for all parents involved.

Back