When two teams can advance to next round by just a draw....

Force field marshalls to run laps for 45 min? Never mind the heat. I'm not sure I could keep a run that long if it were 68 degrees and partly cloudy.

Would be simpler if the tournament rules specified the wet bulb temperature above which they stop games.

My guess is that in extreme heat they would do one lap and suspend the game.

The team that didn't advance wasn't robbed of anything. They lost big time and deserved not to go. If they advance, it was by sheer luck and mercy of another team. They HAD a chance to decide their fate and they decided it by being badly beaten. Do you not see a difference between that and a player robbing a team of 30% of their game time to decide their own fate?

How much effort do you think Carlsbad should have put into that game? Carlsbad would need to beat that team by 7 or 8 goals to help the other team advance. No one got robbed of anything but a few parents did lose their sensibilities that it's only youth soccer and they don't get to control others.

The team that was robbed of a chance to advance due to cheating by Carlsbad and Ambassadors had earlier tied that Ambassadors team, so it's fairly likely that had Carlsbad decided not to cheat that day, they might have beaten Ambassadors by a similar score. We'll never know, because they fixed the match.

The likelihood of a team advancing is not a good argument to support match fixing, it just makes the decision to fix the match even more stupid. You put your integrity and reputation on the line to protect a result that likely would have happened anyway? Just dumb.

The team that was robbed of a chance to advance due to cheating by Carlsbad and Ambassadors had earlier tied that Ambassadors team, so it's fairly likely that had Carlsbad decided not to cheat that day, they might have beaten Ambassadors by a similar score. We'll never know, because they fixed the match.

The likelihood of a team advancing is not a good argument to support match fixing, it just makes the decision to fix the match even more stupid. You put your integrity and reputation on the line to protect a result that likely would have happened anyway? Just dumb.
Maybe said team should have won their game so they don’t have to complain about what another team did or didn’t do that kept them from advancing.

It’s time to put this thread to rest!

Or you didn't match fix because no one dropped 10K in your bank account or called Courtney and said "Let's screw this random team you already beat badly" . Her integrity and reputation is in place - protected her players from injury and helped them play better in the next round. She had focus and vision for the future, sounds like someone we should promote:)

If someone is looking for fairness from Top Division soccer (for lack of a better term) you're going to b sorely disappointed. Fairness is rarely a factor to consider and almost always takes a backseat to winning at this level.

I really liked this post. it was heartfelt and accurate. Whether it is all-inclusive or not is an important question. There is much about youth soccer that seems opposite to what it should be, or at least purports to be, about. And as parents who are no longer rash and inexperienced travelers we are thus presented with our very own, seemingly bottomless, pitcher of black Kool-Aid. With an accompanying little note that says "This is the free part-go ahead chug-a-lug me". I've been there. In different ways, I'm sure we all have. But I guess I must also say, or at least want to believe, that is not the entirety of it. Because if it is-what a waste.

Since I feel I kind of started this hot mess, I wanted to add what is-for me-a capstone. My situation 3-unethical, tactical, sour grapes from the asshole parents of the sandbagged team, another example of why life is fundamentally unfair, just win all your games and you'll never have to bitch, or what? I guess for me in the end it still just comes down to what is sporting and what is not. Old-fashioned, square, whatever, don't care. I realize there must be some point at which "sporting" is subsumed within the larger body of "ethics". But unethical feels like a strong label for Situation 3, unless firm collusion-y stuff can be established. On the other end, just writing Situation 3 off as "life is unfair" seems off point to me as well. I think there is an argument that the reason sport exists in the first place is exactly because life is unfair. Standard shit going on behind the scenes, but when you step into the game, there is a certain expectation of conduct. "Mom says I suck at art, Dad says I suck at music, Coach tells me I suck at soccer, but here I am". Some might say, well, what a bunch of moralistic hogwash, getting on a high horse, etc. But the thing is the horse is not that high, not 14 hands. Just a bit taller than the marginal animal that immediately springs to mind when you visualize the standard youth soccer dog and pony show.

I'm not sure why somebody who basically posts you can get injured at any time doing anything, soccer or not soccer, should catch hate here. We all know its true, and probably are aware of specific examples. There was a poster on this site named Culchie, who I think was a formative person in the Celtic soccer club. Not sure if they are active anymore. They posted a lot of stuff i didn't agree with as I remember. But they often posted "It's a players game". I think maybe I'm starting to understand that now. The problem with Situation 3 is not about the team that got sandbagged, it's about the two teams that were involved. Somebody else posted play like college scouts are always watching. I guess my take on that would be play like you want to remember yourself playing 20 years from now. Because the time is short.

Since I feel I kind of started this hot mess, I wanted to add what is-for me-a capstone. My situation 3-unethical, tactical, sour grapes from the asshole parents of the sandbagged team, another example of why life is fundamentally unfair, just win all your games and you'll never have to bitch, or what? I guess for me in the end it still just comes down to what is sporting and what is not. Old-fashioned, square, whatever, don't care. I realize there must be some point at which "sporting" is subsumed within the larger body of "ethics". But unethical feels like a strong label for Situation 3, unless firm collusion-y stuff can be established. On the other end, just writing Situation 3 off as "life is unfair" seems off point to me as well. I think there is an argument that the reason sport exists in the first place is exactly because life is unfair. Standard shit going on behind the scenes, but when you step into the game, there is a certain expectation of conduct. "Mom says I suck at art, Dad says I suck at music, Coach tells me I suck at soccer, but here I am". Some might say, well, what a bunch of moralistic hogwash, getting on a high horse, etc. But the thing is the horse is not that high, not 14 hands. Just a bit taller than the marginal animal that immediately springs to mind when you visualize the standard youth soccer dog and pony show.

I'm not sure why somebody who basically posts you can get injured at any time doing anything, soccer or not soccer, should catch hate here. We all know its true, and probably are aware of specific examples. There was a poster on this site named Culchie, who I think was a formative person in the Celtic soccer club. Not sure if they are active anymore. They posted a lot of stuff i didn't agree with as I remember. But they often posted "It's a players game". I think maybe I'm starting to understand that now. The problem with Situation 3 is not about the team that got sandbagged, it's about the two teams that were involved. Somebody else posted play like college scouts are always watching. I guess my take on that would be play like you want to remember yourself playing 20 years from now. Because the time is short.
How many times does one need to repeat his/her position about something that happened five years ago? Time to move on. Those young ladies have probably all graduated from colleges and entered workforce. Match fixing has not become prevalent in youth soccer as a result.

Go tell every Italian you know how "unethical" Chiellini's foul on Saka is if you have too much time on your hand. :)

Go tell every Italian you know how "unethical" Chiellini's foul on Saka is if you have too much time on your hand. :)
That was tactical but lacked in execution. You could go on for days with “unethical” examples:
- Maradonna “hand of god”
- Ramos’s arm drag on Sala which took him out of the game.
- Pepe

Yes, I’m Italian LOL.

That was tactical but lacked in execution.
It was only a tactical foul because the current implementation of the laws of the game define that as a yellow card offense. A simple change to define jersey pulls from behind as dangerous play would make this a red card offense and after a few months these types of fouls would become much less prevalent.

It was only a tactical foul because the current implementation of the laws of the game define that as a yellow card offense. A simple change to define jersey pulls from behind as dangerous play would make this a red card offense and after a few months these types of fouls would become much less prevalent.
Every intentional foul that isn't Red is a tactical foul "only" because of the laws of the game...that's what makes them tactical fouls. (Although I could argue a DOGSO outside the box is a tactical foul). You would think that Chiellini's type of foul could be easily addressed in the LOTG of the game to make it a sending off offense.

You have to give the referee credit for calling the foul and issuing the card. Some refs swallow their whistles (finalitis) and "let them play" (leading me to suspect that their last assignment was as a referee in a rugby match).

Or you didn't match fix because no one dropped 10K in your bank account or called Courtney and said "Let's screw this random team you already beat badly" . Her integrity and reputation is in place - protected her players from injury and helped them play better in the next round. She had focus and vision for the future, sounds like someone we should promote:)

Her reputation is badly damaged by this instance of cheating. Yes, her endorsement of cheating helped her players. That's the purpose of cheating - to give your team an advantage that other teams did not get. They had to play all their games.

Congrats to your team on your "title". Too bad it's a hollow victory.

Her reputation is badly damaged by this instance of cheating. Yes, her endorsement of cheating helped her players. That's the purpose of cheating - to give your team an advantage that other teams did not get. They had to play all their games.

Congrats to your team on your "title". Too bad it's a hollow victory.
She doesn't have a bad reputation. Courtney has a GREAT reputation and her team earned that title. They earned the advantage by beating their previous opponents badly. You think the team that lost to them 7-0 deserved it more? hmmmm

She doesn't have a bad reputation. Courtney has a GREAT reputation and her team earned that title. They earned the advantage by beating their previous opponents badly. You think the team that lost to them 7-0 deserved it more? hmmmm

Agreeing to give each other a tie in a game is no different than agreeing that one team will win and the other will lose. It is match throwing or game fixing.

If C pre-arranged an outcome in a tournament context (which I don't know as true or false), "deserved" isn't determined by merit anymore. If advancement is earned by the total pool points, pre-determining pool points by agreement is cheating. Cheaters deserve to lose. So, yes, basically any other team deserved it more.

Agreeing to give each other a tie in a game is no different than agreeing that one team will win and the other will lose. It is match throwing or game fixing.

If C pre-arranged an outcome in a tournament context (which I don't know as true or false), "deserved" isn't determined by merit anymore. If advancement is earned by the total pool points, pre-determining pool points by agreement is cheating. Cheaters deserve to lose. So, yes, basically any other team deserved it more.
Were you there?

At this point, anyone complaining is doing so because their team lost in group play and needed one of these teams to beat the other so their team could advance.

The dead horse didn’t flinch (it was the wind)….so let’s not continue to beat it.

This happened how long ago? {rhetorical question, please don’t answer}

At this point, anyone complaining is doing so because their team lost in group play and needed one of these teams to beat the other so their team could advance.

The dead horse didn’t flinch (it was the wind)….so let’s not continue to beat it.

This happened how long ago? {rhetorical question, please don’t answer}

This entire forum exists to beat dead horses. We'll stop beating the horse when we are good and ready, and then we'll create a new thread a few weeks later.

The thing is this scenario comes up a lot. But, every example I can think of from my own experience in club soccer is where the coaches let the teams score goals in games that don't matter, employing energy conserving tactics that fall short of an agreement with the other team to a predetermined outcome. You can't normalize game fixing. It runs counter to the reason the sport exists. As a soccer participant and fan, I will reject any version with scripted results and asterisked trophies.

I don't think you're following what occurred and spreading misinformation by not knowing the truth is what creates problems.

1. NO pre game arrangement happened
2. An injury occurred at the beginning of the game
3. C already won her bracket, regardless of the outcome of the game.

Back