West Coast FC 2.0

In have no dog in the WCFC renewal.
just disappointed in this whole area and the people who are making these types of choices.

the email is just a sales pitch...

the email to change to surf was the same thing.

makes me wanna puke.
I got sick a few times the last three years from soccer. I hate puking too so I decided last year to stop falling for all the lies. Eating lies makes some puke. Others, they live off the lies to survive and make a living in one of the most expensive places to live. My friend drives a really nice car in South OC. He forgot to put "OC Surf" sticker over his WCFC sticker. He's feeling really good this morning. Most locals who know about WCFC are very happy going back to their true family. Seriously, Surf should stay surfing in SD. You can't take all the waves for yourself. Soccer is like the ocean. Everyone should have equal access to the highest level of the sport. Surf at your own break is my motto and always has been. My mom bought 4 homes in Three Arch Bay back in the 50s. Smart real estate move I would say. However, she sold them all before 1984. I added up all the value of the homes today and I puked.........lol.

Youth club soccer is a bit like a shell game, names, affiliations, parties involved changing all the time.

What is this the 3rd go around for WC?. First it was the LA Galaxy "South" alliance thing that didn't last but what one season for them and now the flip / flop with surf.

What's next? Maybe we should make a new thread...latest flip flops, affiliation changes, and the like.

Glad to see some of the consolidation of mega clubs unraveling. West Coast was a great brand. That and Carlsbad United were two brands I was disappointed to see go away.
Hopefully it's a trend that continues going forward. Although the pending Arsenal announcement with AS Roma and other clubs in the IE could be a wave in the mega club direction.

I do wonder sometimes how parents and coaches see the whole pro club affiliation thing. We've had a couple of opportunities in the past 2 years to partner up with English pro clubs but it was an easy "no thanks" for me. I just saw it as a marketing gimmick and there didn't seem to be a huge benefit to our teams (other than access to a curriculum that wasn't much different to what we already implement).

I might be overly cynical but this is invariably how it sounds to me whenever I hear or read about a new pro club affiliation here in SoCal..."we are now affiliated with *insert pro club here* and we will get access to their world-class curriculum that will take your kid to the next level and maybe even be able to join said pro club after being seen by their experts who will visit once a year. Oh, and we will get new uniforms too."

Is there more to it than that? Genuine question and some of you might have inside info to enlighten me (and others).

I do wonder sometimes how parents and coaches see the whole pro club affiliation thing. We've had a couple of opportunities in the past 2 years to partner up with English pro clubs but it was an easy "no thanks" for me. I just saw it as a marketing gimmick and there didn't seem to be a huge benefit to our teams (other than access to a curriculum that wasn't much different to what we already implement).

I might be overly cynical but this is invariably how it sounds to me whenever I hear or read about a new pro club affiliation here in SoCal..."we are now affiliated with *insert pro club here* and we will get access to their world-class curriculum that will take your kid to the next level and maybe even be able to join said pro club after being seen by their experts who will visit once a year. Oh, and we will get new uniforms too."

Is there more to it than that? Genuine question and some of you might have inside info to enlighten me (and others).
A local affiliation (LAG, LAFC) is good for name recognition, but an affiliation with a European club is an overkill. Take LAGOC/LFCIAOC as an example. I remember seeing a welcome message from Jürgen Klopp. IMHO at most only 1 in 10 soccer parents in OC know who Klopp is. And that 1 somewhat knowledgeable parent in 10 knows there is no pathway to Liverpool.

This silliness is not only at the youth level though. Look at some of the teams in MLS. Sporting KC and Real Salt Lake? I didn't know we have royalty in Utah.

It's all about selling the "pathway" dream. Some parents are suckers for that idea, "oh little Johnny may play for Man City one day because our club is affiliated with them". The only true pathway is your kids own ability.

As a parent when I hear it all I think is that the kits will be ridiculously overpriced. and dues as well

It's all about selling the "pathway" dream. Some parents are suckers for that idea, "oh little Johnny may play for Man City one day because our club is affiliated with them". The only true pathway is your kids own ability.
I was the first sucker to fall for the bait & switch "YNT Pathway Access BS" from Dr Spooner. It was all about getting #10!!! It's much deeper than being a sucker parent though. Girls got abused in this toxic take over and some still are.

O
Are we talking about west coast or Liverpool
one in the same in my opinion.
“pathyway” talk
“Access” talk
West Coast should have apologized for the hassle in the first place.

then said we are gonna focus on our coaching development so that your child gets the best instruction.

but all it was is another “pathway” ...to
RANGERS!

With OW over at OCSC offering young players a pro gateway over college there might be a different path. When players start getting transferred OCSC could end up with a sustainable business model. Our best boys need to go pro younger and stop the college nonsense. If USL teams can sign players and then sell them they become viable businesses and the national team gets legitimate players. If WCFC can connect to that they might actually be different.

With OW over at OCSC offering young players a pro gateway over college there might be a different path. When players start getting transferred OCSC could end up with a sustainable business model. Our best boys need to go pro younger and stop the college nonsense. If USL teams can sign players and then sell them they become viable businesses and the national team gets legitimate players. If WCFC can connect to that they might actually be different.

“the college non-sense”

hilarious...

OCSC will sign younger players...but they can’t be sold until 18. They also better be starters on OCSC and be ripping it up. OW and BC will not play then unless they help them win.
Then and only then...the opportunity to sell that player is possible.

I also wander if WC will get solidarity payments To any players sold? No

the kid at rangers now was developed at strikers. Will they get solidarity payments if sold? No

Has OCSC received any transfer fees for sold players to Europe?.... no

so how is it a viable business model?

“the college non-sense”

hilarious...

OCSC will sign younger players...but they can’t be sold until 18. They also better be starters on OCSC and be ripping it up. OW and BC will not play then unless they help them win.
Then and only then...the opportunity to sell that player is possible.

I also wander if WC will get solidarity payments To any players sold? No

the kid at rangers now was developed at strikers. Will they get solidarity payments if sold? No

Has OCSC received any transfer fees for sold players to Europe?.... no

so how is it a viable business model?

Elite internationals don't play college soccer. Playing college soccer is for girls and second tier boys.

Are you saying things can never change? and we need to put up for all eternity with the pay to play system creating mediocre college players.

Someone has to change the model, why not them? If I were in charge of a USL team in a big market why not go for it. The USL club to sell players will have the opportunity to attract the best players. Perhaps OCSC does not have the vision to make it happen but eventually someone will.

Back