Vaccine

So you keep saying.

Let me know when your argument finally acknowledges the million people who died of your “bad cold”.
Dad, it was a bad flu virus mixed with bat. Once that got to our shores from China, those with more than 4 underlying healthy issues had the main risk of dying. I chose to quit eating meat, no more booze and went healthy with my mind, body and soul. It's all a choice. You went with the mask mandate, fire those who refuse the jab and that was flat out evil and wrong to do to your fellow human being. You bought the fear lie.

Out of curiosity, can you acknowledge that out of the 1 million that died that roughly 950,000 died with on average 4 other comorbidities? Or as the CDC also calls them "causes of death".
Take a look at the common comorbidities. Asthma, hypertension, diabetes, liver disease, heart disease, overweight, inactivity, pregnancy, former smoker, transplant patient, immunocompromised, etc. These conditions are extremely common.

It is not at all surprising that most covid fatalities are among those with at least four of those conditions. A sizable fraction of the over 60 population in the US fits that description.

Take a look at the common comorbidities. Asthma, hypertension, diabetes, liver disease, heart disease, overweight, inactivity, pregnancy, former smoker, transplant patient, immunocompromised, etc. These conditions are extremely common.

It is not at all surprising that most covid fatalities are among those with at least four of those conditions. A sizable fraction of the over 60 population in the US fits that description.

So, to a significant degree, those who make good/healthy life choices are penalized for those who make poor life/health choices. Like @crush, I chose a healthier lifestyle. I highly recommend starting a healthier lifestyle now to prepare for the Next Big Thing.

As you know I came down with it the first couple weeks of it here in the US with one very scary night which only an experimental choice by my doctor kept me out of the ER and god knows what we would have done with the kids. Set aside the arguments over overcounts, comorbities, or attenuated virus....we have the vaccine now that renders it not the same thing as at the beginning of this.

The fact that you (who have gone out of the way to avoid it, and boast about your trust in the Science TM and vaccines) are lecturing me on this point (who came down with it at the very beginning) is just so full of irony I can't help but smile. Unless secretly you don't really believe in vaccines and the science.
You’re mixing apples and oranges.

Are we talking about the best policy against Alpha, in a world without vaccines?
Or are we talking about the best policy against omicron, in a world with vaccines?

Pick one. These are not at all the same question. You can’t take omicron transmission events, based on an R0 around 10, and apply them to vanilla covid, which had an R0 around 3.

Bingo.

You know what percentage of those 55 and 65 and over work in the hospitality industry? 14% and <5%. The average age in this industry is 31 and yet we effectively shutdown this industry. That's a failed policy based on the gross miscalculation of risk. Blanket policies never work. They damage those not at risk and don't materially help those at risk. But worst of all they divert focus on addressing the actual risks.

Fixed it for you….Thought you would want to use the same language as the CDC is using.
I don’t think anyone outside of right wing talk shows is actually claiming a net overcount.

Specific miscounts? Sure. In both directions.

But there is no basis for a claim that, overall, the deaths did not happen or were mostly caused by things other than covid. That’s just denying something because you don’t want to thing about it.

Bingo.

You know what percentage of those 55 and 65 and over work in the hospitality industry? 14% and <5%. The average age in this industry is 31 and yet we effectively shutdown this industry. That's a failed policy based on the gross miscalculation of risk. Blanket policies never work. They damage those not at risk and don't materially help those at risk. But worst of all they divert focus on addressing the actual risks.
How do you propose to have a vast respiratory disease wave among the under 30 set, without creating a similar wave among the over 65 set?

We didn’t have any 100% effective barriers. Every tool we had was only partly effective. You could build a wall around the vulnerable, but it would be extremely leaky.

I don’t think anyone outside of right wing talk shows is actually claiming a net overcount.

Specific miscounts? Sure. In both directions.

But there is no basis for a claim that, overall, the deaths did not happen or were mostly caused by things other than covid. That’s just denying something because you don’t want to thing about it.
Wait….so correcting the statement to accurately match the CDC’s position is now a Right Wing Talk Show commentary?

Talk about looking for something where non exists…..

Bingo.

Bingo for you watty :) They also destroyed small business and sowed division among American Citizens. The same crew just sent $40,000,000,000 to save Ukraine.

You’re mixing apples and oranges.

Are we talking about the best policy against Alpha, in a world without vaccines?
Or are we talking about the best policy against omicron, in a world with vaccines?

Pick one. These are not at all the same question. You can’t take omicron transmission events, based on an R0 around 10, and apply them to vanilla covid, which had an R0 around 3.

Exactly. It's the same for the IFR. Glad you caught on.

How do you propose to have a vast respiratory disease wave among the under 30 set, without creating a similar wave among the over 65 set?

We didn’t have any 100% effective barriers. Every tool we had was only partly effective. You could build a wall around the vulnerable, but it would be extremely leaky.
Um, like you said it was the over 60 that was dying even with the restrictions because they have the comorbidities. So we should let the over 60's die and punish the 30 year olds? That's interesting logic.

Um, like you said it was the over 60 that was dying even with the restrictions because they have the comorbidities. So we should let the over 60's die and punish the 30 year olds? That's interesting logic.
Like I said? I said nothing of the sort.

My opinion is that roughly 1M people were saved by the restrictions, and more could have been saved if we had been less resistant to masks, vaccines, and moving life outside.

Agree, or disagree. But don’t pretend I am saying the exact opposite of my position.

Wait….so correcting the statement to accurately match the CDC’s position is now a Right Wing Talk Show commentary?

Talk about looking for something where non exists…..
Where did CDC say that the number of deaths was vastly overcounted?

Watfly was implying that counted deaths were 20 times as high as actual. That’s nonsense.

You can argue over whether the correct total is closer to 700K or 1.4 Million. People smarter than us are doing that right now.

But no one serious is entertaining the “it did not happen” argument.

nice pivot.

The point remains that you are trying to use an omicron transmission in 2022 to make a point against the mask rules of 2020.
Why is this some sort of hoops game dad? You 100% lost the debate on mask and the jabs. 100% lost. You should admit you were wrong and look to help others who said no to the jab. I will be looking for helpers.

Watfly was implying that counted deaths were 20 times as high as actual. That’s nonsense.
Where did I say or imply that? You have a bad habit of misquoting people to try and make your argument sound more plausible. I have no question that 1,000,000+ died. Like I said a few times, Covid is a Darwin disease and that's exactly who we should have protected...the most vulnerable. Those most likely to be susceptible to serious health consequences. My point is about policies, not the actual number of deaths. I never mentioned once overcounting in this string.

Like I said? I said nothing of the sort.
That's exactly what you said. The over 60's were the ones dying because it would be common for them to have the comorbidities (ie 95% of the deaths). Which I happen to agree with you.

At least try to debate in good faith.

Where did I say or imply that? You have a bad habit of misquoting people to try and make your argument sound more plausible. I have no question that 1,000,000+ died. Like I said a few times, Covid is a Darwin disease and that's exactly who we should have protected...the most vulnerable. Those most likely to be susceptible to serious health consequences. My point is about policies, not the actual number of deaths. I never mentioned once overcounting in this string.

That's exactly what you said. The over 60's were the ones dying because it would be common for them to have the comorbidities (ie 95% of the deaths). Which I happen to agree with you.

At least try to debate in good faith.
What was the point in your claim that 950K people had comorbidities, out of a total of 1M who died from covid?

Out of curiosity, can you acknowledge that out of the 1 million that died that roughly 950,000 died with on average 4 other comorbidities? Or as the CDC also calls them "causes of death".

If you mean that covid was the cause of death of roughly 1M people, most of whom were old and had other health issues, then we agree.

If you mean that those 950k deaths don‘t really count, then we disgree.

Are you just yanking my chain now? Or pulling an Espola?
No. I am asking what you meant by your post.

Did you mean that covid primarily killed the old and sick?

Or did you mean that, because of the comorbidities, those deaths don’t really count?

Back