Vaccine

I just came back from my daughter's college signing day and despite obstacles like woke administrations, lazy teachers and counselors, reductions of advanced courses, Covid school closures and general lack of accountability, we had kids going to Dartmouth, Stanford, Notre Dame, Berkley (quite a few), UCLA, Michigan, Colby etc. It's possible from a public school, just don't expect much help from the school staff in getting there. The good news is parents are fighting back and expecting more from their public schools. I hope it can make a difference.

On the flip side, the school has 6x as many kids that won't graduate from their previous record of non-graduating students. You can thank school closures and remote learning for that. Although an incompetent principal, aka principal "bag lady", helped cause that situation. Fortunately, she was forced out, albeit 10 months too late.
I dunno, I might be old school but the first ones to look at in the case of an underperforming student is the parents or legal guardians. I believe in personal responsibility first and foremost . . . like I said probably an old school idea.

I dunno, I might be old school but the first ones to look at in the case of an underperforming student is the parents or legal guardians. I believe in personal responsibility first and foremost . . . like I said probably an old school idea.
I agree, but the problem was greatly exacerbated by school closures and online learning.

More parents fighting back in my neck of the woods.

If you connect the dots Scott Irwin is the principle of Dana Middle and Michelle Irwin his wife is the principle of Patrick Henry. Both are ruining their respective schools in the name of equity. Scott and Michelle are the tip of the iceberg to the infiltration of far left hacks that have infiltrated the schools. They have 100% of the San Diego school board and it will be quite a fight for parents to reclaim what has been lost.

It is interesting to see the evolution of "cause" (--> blame) for underperforming students. What you state above IS an old-school idea - one that I grew up with and generally agreed with. About three years ago, I saw that the school system in CA had a different approach to addressing the learning gap among students whose first language was not English. I was studying for EL (English Learners) / CLAD (Cross-cultural Language and Academic Development) certification. The test provides certification to teach those whose first language is not English. It is pretty much required to have to teach in CA. Most CA schools won't consider you if you don't have it. The material talked about how blaming English Learners and their parents for underperformance was misplaced. It then offered teaching strategies - good, common-sense strategies - to teach English Learners that allowed them to embrace their parents' culture and generally learn content at a higher rate. I won't say I thought everything was valuable, but there was much that was valuable. I have a better understanding and am better prepared because of it. It was worthwhile.

So, how did we get from the approach of using those strategies to close the knowledge gap to removing advanced classes? I can only surmise that the strategies did not close the gap enough. If I am following things correctly, in my lifetime, we started where responsibility for student learning was very personal - the child and, to an extent, the child's family, but our country had a learning (achievement/career success) gap. Then the onus for student learning shifted toward the schools and teachers. Things may have marginally improved, but the gap still existed. The next step in the evolution of blame for the education gap in America appears to be that America is a racist culture. Course qualifications and pre-requisites are racist and need to be removed. Allowing a non-representative population of students to take gifted/honors classes is racist. Homeschooling is racist. I am not optimistic that this approach will close the gap unless it brings the high achievers down. I'd guess that many of those who would be high achievers will simply withdraw from public school. It may be happening already. I have yet to see any achievement breakdown (test scores, etc.) of the students these districts are losing.

It is interesting to see the evolution of "cause" (--> blame) for underperforming students. What you state above IS an old-school idea - one that I grew up with and generally agreed with. About three years ago, I saw that the school system in CA had a different approach to addressing the learning gap among students whose first language was not English. I was studying for EL (English Learners) / CLAD (Cross-cultural Language and Academic Development) certification. The test provides certification to teach those whose first language is not English. It is pretty much required to have to teach in CA. Most CA schools won't consider you if you don't have it. The material talked about how blaming English Learners and their parents for underperformance was misplaced. It then offered teaching strategies - good, common-sense strategies - to teach English Learners that allowed them to embrace their parents' culture and generally learn content at a higher rate. I won't say I thought everything was valuable, but there was much that was valuable. I have a better understanding and am better prepared because of it. It was worthwhile.

So, how did we get from the approach of using those strategies to close the knowledge gap to removing advanced classes? I can only surmise that the strategies did not close the gap enough. If I am following things correctly, in my lifetime, we started where responsibility for student learning was very personal - the child and, to an extent, the child's family, but our country had a learning (achievement/career success) gap. Then the onus for student learning shifted toward the schools and teachers. Things may have marginally improved, but the gap still existed. The next step in the evolution of blame for the education gap in America appears to be that America is a racist culture. Course qualifications and pre-requisites are racist and need to be removed. Allowing a non-representative population of students to take gifted/honors classes is racist. Homeschooling is racist. I am not optimistic that this approach will close the gap unless it brings the high achievers down. I'd guess that many of those who would be high achievers will simply withdraw from public school. It may be happening already. I have yet to see any achievement breakdown (test scores, etc.) of the students these districts are losing.
Some of the students don't leave. They stay in the district, but add a class at RSM, AoPS, or Alpha Star.

The district ends up eliminating honors material, but only for those who can't afford to purchase it independently.

Needless to say, this makes the achievement gap even larger.

Some of the students don't leave. They stay in the district, but add a class at RSM, AoPS, or Alpha Star.

The district ends up eliminating honors material, but only for those who can't afford to purchase it independently.

Needless to say, this makes the achievement gap even larger.
My personal opinion is that the education gap is a class issue that has elements of race yet it's being treated entirely as a race issue. Now let's stop for a second and ask ourselves, if we can't define what a woman is, do we really want to frame the education gap in terms of race which is orders of magnitude more complicated to determine on an individual basis than determining sex? It's not as if we can't identify those who are not achieving - we don't need their DNA. We can see the neighborhoods/schools that are struggling. Is it really because the Honors classes are not representative of the population?

My personal opinion is that the education gap is a class issue that has elements of race yet it's being treated entirely as a race issue. Now let's stop for a second and ask ourselves, if we can't define what a woman is, do we really want to frame the education gap in terms of race which is orders of magnitude more complicated to determine on an individual basis than determining sex? It's not as if we can't identify those who are not achieving - we don't need their DNA. We can see the neighborhoods/schools that are struggling. Is it really because the Honors classes are not representative of the population?
It goes back to redlining, so yes it stems from institutional, deeply imbedded racism.

13 suspected cases of monkey pox being tracked in Canada and covidian Twitter is alight with Russian bio weapon conspiracy theories and calls for readying the us smallpox vaccine reserve. Horror stories floating around with what monkey pox does to small kids and pregnant women.

they really need to find better writers for these sequels. In the end it’s all about the writing.

It goes back to redlining, so yes it stems from institutional, deeply imbedded racism.
Redlining is the root cause of poor academic achievement?

There was redlining against Asian families, too. By your argument, Chinatown schools should be awful. But the schools and students in those areas tend to do just fine.

You can tie yourself in knots trying to see everything as the inevitable result of past wrongs. All it will achieve is making people mad at each other.

It's better to just see each other as people and try to help each other.

Redlining is the root cause of poor academic achievement?

There was redlining against Asian families, too. By your argument, Chinatown schools should be awful. But the schools and students in those areas tend to do just fine.

You can tie yourself in knots trying to see everything as the inevitable result of past wrongs. All it will achieve is making people mad at each other.

He was reading from his talking points and didn’t bother to actually do any critical thinking. Never mind that everything I was addressing had to do with overcoming the gap - not how the gap originated. Shame on me for expecting anything else from him. Fool me once …

This is 100% where we need to be.

The next step in the evolution of blame for the education gap in America appears to be that America is a racist culture. Course qualifications and pre-requisites are racist and need to be removed.

I don't think this is accurate.

For quite some time, differences in educational opportunities and school performance has been tied to class/socio-economic standing. Even the article that you're responding to focused on class/socio-economic standing in San Diego school districts.

And as a practical matter, it's obvious that a school in a wealthy area will have far more resources to devote to GATE programs in K-5 due to family donations - regardless of the racial breakdown in the schools.

Everything you wrote makes perfect sense -- why distract from that by creating a straw man argument that people are treating it entirely as a race issue?

His point is not that race has nothing at all to do with academic opportunities (which would be an extreme position to take), rather his point is merely that race is not the underlying issue causing educational disparity.

I don't think this is accurate.

For quite some time, differences in educational opportunities and school performance has been tied to class/socio-economic standing. Even the article that you're responding to focused on class/socio-economic standing in San Diego school districts.

And as a practical matter, it's obvious that a school in a wealthy area will have far more resources to devote to GATE programs in K-5 due to family donations - regardless of the racial breakdown in the schools.

Everything you wrote makes perfect sense -- why distract from that by creating a straw man argument that people are treating it entirely as a race issue?
Yes, I should have qualified "it's being treated entirely as a race issue." There are influential people who are treating it as a race issue - certainly not everyone - but it's supported by quotes in the media that have not been labeled as unsubstantiated or misinformation (a few below).

My point was to go through the evolution of the mainstream ideas that are out to explain why we have this gap and what we have done to close the gap. No doubt, we have many people who span the spectrum of ideas as to what needs to be done and why it needs to be done.

Testing is racist: From the NEA

"We still think there’s something wrong with the kids rather than recognizing their something wrong with the tests," Ibram X. Kendi of the Antiracist Research & Policy Center at Boston University and author of How to be an Antiracist said in October 2020. "Standardized tests have become the most effective racist weapon ever devised to objectively degrade Black and Brown minds and legally exclude their bodies from prestigious schools."

Homeschooling is racist:

Gifted classes are racist:

Yes, I should have qualified "it's being treated entirely as a race issue." There are influential people who are treating it as a race issue - certainly not everyone - but it's supported by quotes in the media that have not been labeled as unsubstantiated or misinformation (a few below).

My point was to go through the evolution of the mainstream ideas that are out to explain why we have this gap and what we have done to close the gap. No doubt, we have many people who span the spectrum of ideas as to what needs to be done and why it needs to be done.

Testing is racist: From the NEA

"We still think there’s something wrong with the kids rather than recognizing their something wrong with the tests," Ibram X. Kendi of the Antiracist Research & Policy Center at Boston University and author of How to be an Antiracist said in October 2020. "Standardized tests have become the most effective racist weapon ever devised to objectively degrade Black and Brown minds and legally exclude their bodies from prestigious schools."

Homeschooling is racist:

Gifted classes are racist:
These are cultural arguments related to race but also to socioeconomic status. Plenty of people get stuck in the mud (some just stay there willfully), others keep getting pushed back in.

These are cultural arguments related to race but also to socioeconomic status. Plenty of people get stuck in the mud (some just stay there willfully), others keep getting pushed back in.
These are not solely ”cultural arguments”. When people are persuaded by Kendi’s claims, they take real world actions.

The local community college here recently eliminated their placement tests. This will result in more kids dropping out of STEM because they were put in the wrong class.

Why did we do it? Because the administration didn’t like the scores on the placement tests. Apparently, it is racist to ask a kid to balance an equation or compute the atomic mass of a molecule. So, instead of teaching the kid, we eliminate the test.

These are not solely ”cultural arguments”. When people are persuaded by Kendi’s claims, they take real world actions.

The local community college here recently eliminated their placement tests. This will result in more kids dropping out of STEM because they were put in the wrong class.

Why did we do it? Because the administration didn’t like the scores on the placement tests. Apparently, it is racist to ask a kid to balance an equation or compute the atomic mass of a molecule. So, instead of teaching the kid, we eliminate the test.
We may well become the low wage, uneducated workforce for the world . . . on the bright side manufacturing here will increase!

Part of the problem is the test can also reflect how teachers are teaching. So bad test scores can make it appears teachers aren't teaching, so lets not test, then we can't blame teachers or students for doing poorly because we won't know how they are actually doing.

But I don't even blame teachers, some years ago parents starting placing poor test scores and grades solely on teachers and instead of holding their own kid accountable, they blame it on the education. Here's the news flash...parents are the best teachers, if they don't hold kids accountable chances are the kid will not achieve....but more of the problem is there are way way too many lazy parents and they want someone else to help raise their kid...sad

Back