Vaccine

No question that Fauci is more spokesman than scientist. That is the job.

I was just amused that you put masking where you did.

I see plenty of scientists who believe outdoor limits were misplaced. I don’t see many scientists who think it was an error to mask up. That complaint comes mainly from lay people who don’t like being told to wear a mask.
Again you miss the point entirely. It's all about credibility and his mixed messaging gives him zero credibility, not to mention he is unqualified on so many levels to be a spokesperson. I put them into groups to show the fallacy of the thinking that you can bifurcate his advice into two buckets. Instead of understanding that, you double down and complain are amused about me putting masks in the "negative" category. Think big picture.

The idiocy of the covid policies is going to haunt us for years.

Ex-Federal Reserve chair says US economy is heading toward period of stagflation for first time since 1970s: CEO of Goldman Sachs says risk of America falling into a recession 'is very, very high'
Ben Bernake warns that high unemployment and high prices could stay for years

Stagflation last happened in the US in the 70s, when OPEC pushed oil prices up

It led to years of high inflation and low economic growth that may happen again

Average prices are up by 8.3% from last year; Gas is averaging $4.48 a gallon

The CEO of Goldman Sachs and other banks warn that a recession is looming as the Federal Reserve struggles to rein in inflation without triggering a slowdown

By ADAM MANNO FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 12:26 EDT, 16 May 2022

The idiocy of the covid policies is going to haunt us for years.

Ex-Federal Reserve chair says US economy is heading toward period of stagflation for first time since 1970s: CEO of Goldman Sachs says risk of America falling into a recession 'is very, very high'
Ben Bernake warns that high unemployment and high prices could stay for years

Stagflation last happened in the US in the 70s, when OPEC pushed oil prices up

It led to years of high inflation and low economic growth that may happen again

Average prices are up by 8.3% from last year; Gas is averaging $4.48 a gallon

The CEO of Goldman Sachs and other banks warn that a recession is looming as the Federal Reserve struggles to rein in inflation without triggering a slowdown

By ADAM MANNO FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 12:26 EDT, 16 May 2022

It's nothing compared to what's going to happen in the 3rd world (thanks also to the generous sprinklings of the Ukraine war). Sri Lanka and Peru are the first dominos that are falling. It's going to take a good 5, more likely 10 years (from pandemic start) to work through all the various issues.

As to our own economy, recall I called stagflation over a year ago. There's no soft landing here. The chance for a soft landing evaporated with BBB. It's going to be ugly the only question is how much and if it's worse or better or the same as 2008. There are still quite a few variables in play but the China lockdowns and Ukraine war certainly is tipping it in the negative direction.

It's nothing compared to what's going to happen in the 3rd world (thanks also to the generous sprinklings of the Ukraine war). Sri Lanka and Peru are the first dominos that are falling. It's going to take a good 5, more likely 10 years (from pandemic start) to work through all the various issues.

As to our own economy, recall I called stagflation over a year ago. There's no soft landing here. The chance for a soft landing evaporated with BBB. It's going to be ugly the only question is how much and if it's worse or better or the same as 2008. There are still quite a few variables in play but the China lockdowns and Ukraine war certainly is tipping it in the negative direction.
...and of course, there will be no accountability.

Florida just banned protests outside homes for the purpose of harrassing or disturbing the residents.

I have to give credit to DeSantis on this one. It’s a simple step towards civility. Protesting outside the government building is fine. Following the official home is not. It’s embarrassing that we have to spell it out, but that’s where we are.

"To sum up, public schools stopped being responsive to the needs of parents, refused to provide effective education (while still getting all its public funding to do so), in an effort to evade a risk that didn’t actually exist. And they wonder why 1.2 million or more students have disenrolled from public-school systems?"

"In New York City, the nation’s largest school district has lost some 50,000 students over the past two years. In Michigan, enrollment remains more than 50,000 below prepandemic levels from big cities to the rural Upper Peninsula.

In the suburbs of Orange County, Calif., where families have moved for generations to be part of the public school system, enrollment slid for the second consecutive year; statewide, more than a quarter-million public school students have dropped from California’s rolls since 2019.

And since school funding is tied to enrollment, cities that have lost many students — including Denver, Albuquerque and Oakland — are now considering combining classrooms, laying off teachers or shutting down entire schools.

All together, America’s public schools have lost at least 1.2 million students since 2020, according to a recently published national survey. State enrollment figures show no sign of a rebound to the previous national levels any time soon."

"To sum up, public schools stopped being responsive to the needs of parents, refused to provide effective education (while still getting all its public funding to do so), in an effort to evade a risk that didn’t actually exist. And they wonder why 1.2 million or more students have disenrolled from public-school systems?"

"In New York City, the nation’s largest school district has lost some 50,000 students over the past two years. In Michigan, enrollment remains more than 50,000 below prepandemic levels from big cities to the rural Upper Peninsula.

In the suburbs of Orange County, Calif., where families have moved for generations to be part of the public school system, enrollment slid for the second consecutive year; statewide, more than a quarter-million public school students have dropped from California’s rolls since 2019.

And since school funding is tied to enrollment, cities that have lost many students — including Denver, Albuquerque and Oakland — are now considering combining classrooms, laying off teachers or shutting down entire schools.

All together, America’s public schools have lost at least 1.2 million students since 2020, according to a recently published national survey. State enrollment figures show no sign of a rebound to the previous national levels any time soon."

Government schools, teachers unions, school boards, etc. have been taken over by the far left. They no longer see it as a priority to teach core subjects (math, English, science). They would rather talk about race, gender and sex in a way that goes beyond their mandate as a government school. Every subject my child has is taught from a racial or sexual perspective. It is woven through everything she is assigned. Government schools can’t talk or teach about traditional religions but think they can pass along left ideologies that have no place in the classroom.

...imagine the government mandating that healthy adults get the vaccine or lose their jobs...

...then imagine reading this...

NOTE: for those inclined to ignore the message and attack the messenger...WSJ, NYT, and USNEWS are referenced in the thread.

Gosh, they also happen to have among the lowest death rates since the vaccines became available. Imagine that.

Government schools, teachers unions, school boards, etc. have been taken over by the far left. They no longer see it as a priority to teach core subjects (math, English, science). They would rather talk about race, gender and sex in a way that goes beyond their mandate as a government school. Every subject my child has is taught from a racial or sexual perspective. It is woven through everything she is assigned. Government schools can’t talk or teach about traditional religions but think they can pass along left ideologies that have no place in the classroom.

That is one way to rationalize your daughter's performance in school. Another explanation is that she didn't fall far from the tree.

Florida just banned protests outside homes for the purpose of harrassing or disturbing the residents.

I have to give credit to DeSantis on this one. It’s a simple step towards civility. Protesting outside the government building is fine. Following the official home is not. It’s embarrassing that we have to spell it out, but that’s where we are.
He is only thinking of himself.

While I agree it is probably the right thing to do, it bothers me when we have to implement new laws because existing laws aren't being enforced.

Shit like this, which they attempted at my daughter's high school this year. Fortunately, parents fought back. (Posted the whole article since its a subscription):

Gifted education has been shrinking in San Diego and California
California provides no funding for gifted programs, while some district leaders question how equitable they are
BY KRISTEN TAKETA
MAY 15, 2022 5 AM PT
FOR SUBSCRIBERS
Crystal Scotten’s sixth-grade daughter used to love school. Now she seems to hate it, Scotten said.
This year her school, Dana Middle in Point Loma, replaced its gifted program called GATE Seminar — which Scotten’s daughter was a part of — with an honors program to make it more accessible to students who don’t meet the district’s gifted identification requirements.
The change brought more students into the advanced program, but according to Scotten and some other Dana parents whose children were in the gifted program, the rigor they used to have is no longer there. Scotten said her daughter has been given less reading and writing to do, and the reading texts are not challenging to her.
This story is for subscribers
We offer subscribers exclusive access to our best journalism.
Thank you for your support.
“I’ve seen a difference. She’ll come home and say, ‘I’m bored,’ ‘I don’t want to go today, it’s boring,’” said Scotten, who has toured multiple local private schools and is looking at home-schooling options.

ADVERTISING

Even though the principal at Dana Middle has said the pacing of the honors program has not slowed compared to its predecessor, some parents like Scotten remain unconvinced. And they worry about gifted education programs going away entirely.
San Diego Unified School District’s Gifted and Talented Education — or GATE — program, long imagined by parents and district leaders to be a model for school districts statewide, is shrinking.
The district has been identifying fewer students for the gifted program each year since 2015. About 18 percent of age-eligible students are identified for the program this year, compared to 31 percent in 2012.

Some schools have been dropping gifted education classes out of choice, like Dana Middle, but more often it’s because schools don’t have enough gifted-identified students. It didn’t help that San Diego Unified suspended gifted identification testing for the past two years due to COVID.
District leaders have been vocal about their desire to decrease the number of gifted-identified students. In 2015, the school board overhauled its gifted identification testing to decrease what officials suggested was an inflated number of students qualifying as gifted.
School board members also question the role of the gifted program and worry that it is segregating students. The district identifies far fewer students as gifted in areas with more low-income, Black and Latino students than in areas with more higher-income, White and Asian students.

“The kind of supports that have been in place for GATE and Seminar, that’s a great way of teaching, that’s a great way of working with students, but it shouldn’t just be confined to a tiny of group of students. That should be the way that we teach all students,” said Trustee Richard Barrera, who has been on the school board for 14 years.
At Dana Middle, Principal Scott Irwin said that nothing about the speed or depth of the gifted classes changed when the school switched to an honors program.
“The content that was taught wasn’t really changed. What changed was the number of students who were given access,” Irwin said.
Parents argue that the district should keep and expand gifted programs, as well as other advanced course offerings, because they say general classes don’t challenge all students or capitalize on students’ potential. Parents say they’re concerned the district is letting the program dwindle rather than doing more to make it accessible and equitable.
“San Diego Unified, it appears, is systematically eliminating programs that serve very specific needs for students,” said Happy Aston, a parent of two students in the GATE program and a GATE representative for her school.
San Diego Unified leaves it up to school principals to decide whether to offer a gifted program. As a result, gifted program offerings are inconsistent across the district.
While most of San Diego Unified’s more than 170 schools said they offered a GATE Cluster program as of 2020, only 38 were offering classes for GATE Seminar, which is the more advanced component of GATE. Most of them were offered in the district’s wealthiest clusters — Scripps Ranch, La Jolla, University City and Point Loma — which also have the most gifted-identified students.
San Diego Unified requires that classes enroll 25 percent GATE Cluster students to be called a Cluster class and 50 percent GATE Seminar students to be called a Seminar class. So even if a school enrolls some students identified for Seminar, there’s no guarantee the school will offer GATE classes if there aren’t enough students to meet those thresholds.
If a Seminar-identified student’s neighborhood school doesn’t offer Seminar, the district allows them to enroll in a different school that does. But it’s on the student’s family to provide transportation.
Principals often spread out gifted-identified students across classrooms, which allows them to call those classes “GATE,” rather than grouping GATE students together, which studies have shown is beneficial for gifted students’ learning, said Mary Ann Hawke, past chair of the district’s GATE advisory committee.
“In reality that just means that none of their classes are GATE,” Hawke said in an email. “And that is the feedback we are getting from a lot of GATE parents, that GATE education is in name only and is not actually happening.”
Maria Montgomery, San Diego Unified instructional support officer who helps coordinate the GATE program, said the district supports the program by paying for teachers to be certified in GATE teaching and paying for the gifted identification screenings. The district also provides principals a binder with guidance for their GATE programs, Montgomery said.
Not much incentive
The shrinkage of San Diego Unified’s gifted program mirrors a larger trend in California, where gifted education has become increasingly uncommon.
California is one of a minority of states that does do not require schools to identify gifted students, let alone offer gifted education. California is also one of an even smaller number of states that do not have a definition for what constitutes “gifted.”
Only 56 percent of California schools identified gifted students in the 2015-2016 school year, down from 74 percent in 2000, according to a Purdue University report.
That decline can largely be attributed to the fact that California no longer provides funding to schools for gifted education.
The state used to provide funding for gifted education until 2014, when the state switched to the Local Control Funding Formula. The formula gave school districts freedom in how they spend their money but eliminated funding that was allocated for specific school programs, like bus transportation and gifted education.

It is why I moved my kids out of public schools years ago.
I just came back from my daughter's college signing day and despite obstacles like woke administrations, lazy teachers and counselors, reductions of advanced courses, Covid school closures and general lack of accountability, we had kids going to Dartmouth, Stanford, Notre Dame, Berkley (quite a few), UCLA, Michigan, Colby etc. It's possible from a public school, just don't expect much help from the school staff in getting there. The good news is parents are fighting back and expecting more from their public schools. I hope it can make a difference.

On the flip side, the school has 6x as many kids that won't graduate from their previous record of non-graduating students. You can thank school closures and remote learning for that. Although an incompetent principal, aka principal "bag lady", helped cause that situation. Fortunately, she was forced out, albeit 10 months too late.

Shit like this, which they attempted at my daughter's high school this year. Fortunately, parents fought back.
Good for you guys for keeping the program.

I will never understand why parents of a struggling kid want to torture the poor child by putting them in an accelerated class.

But it happens all the time. The kid can't multiply, but parents and administration want him in 7th grade Algebra. It's like entering him in the 100M hurdles when his shoelaces are tied together.

Back