USWNT

Did the coach give her a shot? She didn't play a minute. Sort of like she gave Casey Short "a shot." Jill decides who she wants regardless of how they play. Crystal Dunn was one of the best players in the lead up to the World Cup in 2015 but she was left off for older players who didn't even play. Please explain to me a good reason why you leave one of your best players in qualifying off of a roster in favor of someone that you don't even play and never intended to play?

Let's be honest here. She invited her into camp likely to not appear that she was discriminating against her due to her views. The actual NWSL numbers say that she has been the best leftback in the league over the last 2 years. The actual NWSL numbers say that Alex Morgan, and others, are average to below average in the US professional league, yet they apparently are the best players that we have. Yes we won, however, I am convinced that any decent coach can pick 24 US pro players and win.

You lost it right after "let's be honest here".

That is a silly argument. So even though no taxpayer dollars are consumed by a program AND they pay the school money for every athlete, your argument is that it is still eating up taxpayer dollars? Wow. So Stanford, $C and Harvard (which receive federal funding too) are in the same category because the vast majority of their money comes from federal or state sources?

Your argument is seriously flawed and shows that you don't know how Power 5 conference athletic departments are run.....

He pulled the Power 5 card. Time to whip out the Shield Sphere card that has been hiding in the deck.

That is a silly argument. So even though no taxpayer dollars are consumed by a program AND they pay the school money for every athlete, your argument is that it is still eating up taxpayer dollars? Wow. So Stanford, $C and Harvard (which receive federal funding too) are in the same category because the vast majority of their money comes from federal or state sources?

Your argument is seriously flawed and shows that you don't know how Power 5 conference athletic departments are run.....
And your argument is accounting smoke and mirrors. The land for the field and all the associated buildings were paid for by taxpayers. All of the infrastructure required for a university was paid for by taxpayers. Like I said, no university, no athletic program.

I hate to interrupt this virtue signaling and false equivalency debate (its actually quite entertaining), but I think we should also look at the big picture.

How cool is it that a women's team has captured the spirit and interest of men, women, boys, girls and gender _____. What other US women's team in any other sport has done that at the level the the USWNT has repeatedly done? I can't think of a women's team that comes close. Again, how cool is that? Yes there was some politics and questionable behavior involved with the team, but how about a class act like Carli Lloyd comforting the Thai keeper after the blowout. The interest and excitement for the team is a win for women/girls, LGBT, soccer in the US and Americans as a whole.

And your argument is accounting smoke and mirrors. The land for the field and all the associated buildings were paid for by taxpayers. All of the infrastructure required for a university was paid for by taxpayers. Like I said, no university, no athletic program.

So If the team pays for the facilities that they used, paid for the building that they occupy, and contribute a net positive to the overall budget it is smoke and mirrors? The accounting trick is that the athletic department intentionally showed a net zero (exactly equal expenses and income) due to the excess money going into the general student fund, which is used for non-athlete students, facilities maintenance and other non-athletic activities.

I personally would like the athletic departments to separate from the universities. What would happen then would be the quality of everything would suffer due to the athletic departments making money and the universities just losing it. i think that most rich alumni aren't necessarily donating because of some cutting edge research. Mostly it has to due with a sport or a specific department that they benefited from.

Parse it however you like it. You didn't pay one penny for my kid's public education. Her talent and hard work did, so whatever she or her team does has absolutely no effect on you. When you start thinking that your contribution matters and therefore it is your "right" to have some skin in the game you blur the truth. The truth is athletic scholarships at UCLA are fully endowed. Period. All the athletic department buildings are paid for by separate athletic department funds that do not get a penny from the university general fund or operation budget. If you don't believe me call this person Christopher Iacoi at 310-825-8699. He will explain it to you.

I hate to interrupt this virtue signaling and false equivalency debate (its actually quite entertaining), but I think we should also look at the big picture.

How cool is it that a women's team has captured the spirit and interest of men, women, boys, girls and gender _____. What other US women's team in any other sport has done that at the level the the USWNT has repeatedly done? I can't think of a women's team that comes close. Again, how cool is that? Yes there was some politics and questionable behavior involved with the team, but how about a class act like Carli Lloyd comforting the Thai keeper after the blowout. The interest and excitement for the team is a win for women/girls, LGBT, soccer in the US and Americans as a whole.

Yes, let's talk about the players who are actually the best players on the most dominant women's national team the world has ever seen, and who deserve better than to have bigots speculate that some of them only made the team because they're lesbians.

Another great example is Emily Sonnet. Ms. Sonnet was the 2013 GA HS Gatorade player of the year and also an integral part of some excellent UVA teams. She was a Hermann Trophy finalist, first team All American and the ACC defensive player of the year. She was also the ESPNW college national player of the year and the #1 pick in the 2015 NWSL draft. In 2018, she made the NWSL best 11, and was a finalist for the defensive player of the year. She has been a regular on WNTs, for many years, including the U18 and U23 teams. She is also a good teammate who has never whined about being treated unfairly by USSF. Certainly a deserving role player on the USWNT WC squad.

So If the team pays for the facilities that they used, paid for the building that they occupy, and contribute a net positive to the overall budget it is smoke and mirrors? The accounting trick is that the athletic department intentionally showed a net zero (exactly equal expenses and income) due to the excess money going into the general student fund, which is used for non-athlete students, facilities maintenance and other non-athletic activities.

I personally would like the athletic departments to separate from the universities. What would happen then would be the quality of everything would suffer due to the athletic departments making money and the universities just losing it. i think that most rich alumni aren't necessarily donating because of some cutting edge research. Mostly it has to due with a sport or a specific department that they benefited from.

Parse it however you like it. You didn't pay one penny for my kid's public education. Her talent and hard work did, so whatever she or her team does has absolutely no effect on you. When you start thinking that your contribution matters and therefore it is your "right" to have some skin in the game you blur the truth. The truth is athletic scholarships at UCLA are fully endowed. Period. All the athletic department buildings are paid for by separate athletic department funds that do not get a penny from the university general fund or operation budget. If you don't believe me call this person Christopher Iacoi at 310-825-8699. He will explain it to you.

Revenue is not enough. They need donations to make up for the deficit. I’m fine with that, but don’t give tax breaks for it. That’s what is so absurd. And that does impact everyone.

The UCLA athletic department did not pay for the land it sits on and did not pay to establish UCLA. No university, no athletic department. To say that the athletic department receives no financial benefit from its association with UCLA is the smoke and mirrors part.

Tuition and fees constitute 10% of the UC budget. It is cute that you think a student's tuition constitutes their actual cost. Naïve, but cute. It's more than a little disappointing that you could get through four years there and not learn anything.

From Chris’s office last year: “With costs across the board continuing to rise as the landscape of intercollegiate athletics evolves and certain projected revenue streams produce at a rate lower than expected, it is vital for UCLA Athletics to generate revenue through private donations as existing self-controlled revenue streams have now been maximized, namely through the department's shoe and apparel partnership with Under Armour and multimedia rights agreement with WME/IMG.”

Well said!

Revenue is not enough. They need donations to make up for the deficit. I’m fine with that, but don’t give tax breaks for it. That’s what is so absurd. And that does impact everyone.

Please read these then we can discuss what you think they have in a deficit. I have been told that the department has a surplus but they put overages into the general fund. And yes they have already surpassed their fundraising goals and have upped them significantly.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

https://uclabruins.com/documents/2018/9/24/AnnualReport_1718_FULL.pdf

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/uclabruins.com/documents/2018/9/24/1718_05.pdf

https://www.dailynews.com/2013/04/0...-director-guerrero-new-contract-through-2019/

From Chris’s office last year: “With costs across the board continuing to rise as the landscape of intercollegiate athletics evolves and certain projected revenue streams produce at a rate lower than expected, it is vital for UCLA Athletics to generate revenue through private donations as existing self-controlled revenue streams have now been maximized, namely through the department's shoe and apparel partnership with Under Armour and multimedia rights agreement with WME/IMG.”

Please read the post above. Read all of it becaase @End of the Line likes to talk about what fits her/his/its agenda.

Yes, let's talk about the players who are actually the best players on the most dominant women's national team the world has ever seen, and who deserve better than to have bigots speculate that some of them only made the team because they're lesbians.

Another great example is Emily Sonnet. Ms. Sonnet was the 2013 GA HS Gatorade player of the year and also an integral part of some excellent UVA teams. She was a Hermann Trophy finalist, first team All American and the ACC defensive player of the year. She was also the ESPNW college national player of the year and the #1 pick in the 2015 NWSL draft. In 2018, she made the NWSL best 11, and was a finalist for the defensive player of the year. She has been a regular on WNTs, for many years, including the U18 and U23 teams. She is also a good teammate who has never whined about being treated unfairly by USSF. Certainly a deserving role player on the USWNT WC squad.

Her college coach is a coach on the squad. She is about as deserving as your patriot Ms. Harris. What is Ashlynn like the 7th best starting keeper in the league?

Only If he is behind a keyboard and a safe place. I highly doubt he will speak to anyone of us the same way face-to-face. #KeyboardToughGuy

Of course it's unlikely I'd confront a bigot in person, mostly because they're really hard to find in public. Most of your kind know better than to approach strangers and tell them how much you hate equality and how offensive you find it that others don't share your opinion. If it did happen, though, you're right that I would defer since I know that folks who hate the Equal Protection Clause tend to love the 2nd Amendment too much. And I can't exactly expect someone with a gun to act rationally if they think an all powerful being directed people to murder gay folk until he had his son direct them to "love" them instead - just make sure they pay higher taxes, can't get married and, no matter what, do not sell them a cake. Right? For goodness sake, I've only used my words with you, yet your panties are already in such a bunch that you're throwing vaguely threatening comments my way. No way I'm messing with someone like you. But I also don't need to, because gays can marry and USSF can have players wear rainbow jerseys. I already won.

Back