Transfer portal

Anybody with experience in the transfer portal? Best time to go in? How to contact other colleges? Tips and hints.
I just went through this with my DD.

You have to be entered into the portal by your current college's compliance director. You do not have to tell the coach, although I wouldn't go that route personally. Future coaches will reach out to the current coach to ask about your character, playing ability, and just overall about you, so you want to make sure that you are on your coach's good side (or at least not leaving on bad terms).

Once you are released from your current team (there is a video the student athlete has to watch and a form to fill out from NCAA) you enter the"portal" where all the other college coaches can see who is available. From the list, the potential coaches can see that you were on scholarship, the position you played, and how much you played. Coaches can choose to reach out to you, but it is much like the first time around where you do most of the reaching out. It's not an easy go around, especially when D1 Women's Soccer portal dates opened right before Thanksgiving (11/13), while teams were just getting into the thick of the College Cup, and ending a few days before the dead period (12/12). So that made it very challenging. It does open again from 5/1-5/14.

No real advice on the best time to go in, it depends on how your athlete feels about their current situation. One thing you have to keep in mind, once you enter the transfer portal, the college is no longer bound to your scholarship, so keep that in mind. If you enter during the Fall and don't find a home, you may not have a scholarship for the Spring, and you have to take classes to be academically eligible to play the following fall at a new college. This is the last go around for the Covid Kids with the extra year, so hopefully that will slow things down a bit in the future with the amount of transfers.

Best advice I can give is if you have any questions to call the eligibility center as they are very helpful.

Sounds like a lot of work. I bet for many players order of preference goes like this...

1. Make yourself eligible for the draft. If picked play pro if not picked go to the transfer portal.
2. Try to make the transfer portal work. If the transfer portal works new team.
3. If the transfer portal doesn't work stay at your current team.

I'm sure coaches will be awful to you if you stay. But if this happens other teams will hear about it and eventually you'll be able to get out. Unfortunately College sports are pseudo professional requiring a high level of effort and they've got players undercontrol with red tape and scholarships.

The women's side really needs something like MLS Next and a homegrown rule. Young female players are getting screwed out of their primary playing/earning years.
If you declare for the draft, you forfeit the rest of your NCAA eligibility (if you have any). Check out paragraph 1.a.iii. of the rules. https://www.nwslsoccer.com/documents/2023/11/21/Draft_Eligibility_Rules_v2.pdf
So there’s no going back to college once you declare. I’ve been wondering about that after seeing how many younger players — sophomores, redshirt sophomores - declared and didn’t get picked up this year. What is their backup plan? Are agents and agencies really able to get them all pro slots for next year?

Transfer portal.

This has made a huge change in the dynamics of college soccer. Love to hear from those that have used it. Tips and tricks. Upside and downside. Moving up or a down a division. Best time to use the portal. When and how.

UNC had 21 players leave the team this year, some to the pros, but most to the transfer portal. If UNC, the women's NCAA winningest program can lose that many, any school can. UCLA just took the Pac12 keeper of the year away from Stanford. Freshman don't play, they transfer.

Did they take her away or did she run out of scholarship and have some eligibility left?

Glad to hear this for woman soccer players. These types of transactions are sending a message to top college soccer programs and not even top programs like UNC or Stanford will be spared.

Colleges will have to help players maximize their NIL value while continue to help develop soccer IQ/skills for players in order to compete with NWSL and other colleges.
Not sure I follow your logic. You make it sound like players from top programs are being treated poorly. If you sign with Stanford or North Carolina, I'd imagine you can count. There's only so many spots for the top players. Maybe I misunderstand you but I don't feel a lot of pity for a player choosing that school and being surprised minutes are scarce. And if it's Stanford, that diploma is a nice consolation prize.

It’s a gamble going into the portal because your current team doesn’t have to take you back - that usually is not an option. If you don’t find a new team/school to transfer to you might not be playing soccer in college. So you have to go into knowing what the possible outcomes are and have no fantasies about it.

If I'm a coach... why would I want a player back if they tried to leave? I'm sure there are less contentious reasons, but...

From knowing current students at CU I was told you will never see a football player on campus. The entire team lives off campus in a hotel and they never go to class. Sounds like he basically confirmed that above. I firmly believe this is his last season as a head coach at Boulder. Why would he change whats hes done every time in the past now? Maybe if they get really good and they just miss a Natty but get in the playoffs and he gets a really good QB to commit he might stay but if they just improve a little which they should as they are in a weaker conference now then I think he leaves with his kids. The PAC 12 was really good last year. Odds are Shilo will get drafted and then fade way when he never plays. Shedur will get drafted and never start a game and fade away as well. Most likely Deion will try to follow Shedur into the pros or quit coaching all together. Hes only done it to be with his kids which is fine. If Shedur wins a Heisman next year and a Natty then I see Shedur being a top 5 pick and Deion being an assistant coach or possible head coach depending on what team drafts him and that NFL team will give that whole circus a try. Very small odds that all happens though.
I think you're 100% right but I don't think it's fine. He screwed a lot of kids over in this process. I think he's a walking clown show but Boulder sold out the tent and the media lapped it up like a stray dog. Sad.

I think you're 100% right but I don't think it's fine. He screwed a lot of kids over in this process. I think he's a walking clown show but Boulder sold out the tent and the media lapped it up like a stray dog. Sad.
I think he took a program that was terrible and put them in the national spotlight.

But I also agree that Prime is the ultimate version of Daddy-Ball

Not sure I follow your logic. You make it sound like players from top programs are being treated poorly. If you sign with Stanford or North Carolina, I'd imagine you can count. There's only so many spots for the top players. Maybe I misunderstand you but I don't feel a lot of pity for a player choosing that school and being surprised minutes are scarce. And if it's Stanford, that diploma is a nice consolation prize.
You don't have to feel pity for them. They're big girls and they'll solve their own problems.

I'm just glad they have more options and can leave a school if the soccer program isn't living up to their expectations.

I disagree with schools collecting great players and benching them for years. You can't develop on the bench. Hogging all the talent ruins college soccer because other teams are missing out on those great players. Those great players also miss out on important developing years.

As you can tell, most of the UNC players were unhappy with the situation and solved their problem this year through the NWSL or transfer portal. UNC will have to rethink their method of recruitment and team size, which will make the situation better for future incoming players.

You don't have to feel pity for them. They're big girls and they'll solve their own problems.

I'm just glad they have more options and can leave a school if the soccer program isn't living up to their expectations.

I disagree with schools collecting great players and benching them for years. You can't develop on the bench. Hogging all the talent ruins college soccer because other teams are missing out on those great players. Those great players also miss out on important developing years.

As you can tell, most of the UNC players were unhappy with the situation and solved their problem this year through the NWSL or transfer portal. UNC will have to rethink their method of recruitment and team size, which will make the situation better for future incoming players.

Okay but do you really blame schools for taking as many good players as they can? I'm sure as Hell not allowing great players to end up at a rival if I don't have to. I don't know that college programs are looking to develop, anyway, are they? Seems to me they're looking to get the best players and win right now. As for NC, I would have encouraged my daughter to play somewhere else after the shit Dorrance has been heard saying, but that's me. The only thing worse than a coach that won't play me is an asshole that won't play me. That said, if you're at NC and go into the portal, nobody is asking you for a highlight video.

I'm also glad they have an option but the portal, to me, looks to have robbed some of the novelty of what we all knew college sports to be. It's a lot like free agency in the pros. So much for watching a TEAM develop when the roster changes so drastically. I mean, look at this shit... and that's assuming all of them are captured here.

I think he took a program that was terrible and put them in the national spotlight.

But I also agree that Prime is the ultimate version of Daddy-Ball

He put them in the spotlight by talking a lot of shit and finishing dead last. That after cutting half the team and, by many accounts including a kid my daughter knows personally, screwed them by making a transfer much harder.

... and let's be real about Colorado and their football program, right? They were perpetual, bottom 3rd finishers in the Pac-12.

My math is bad but I count 6 out into the portal and a roster of 12 remain. He's going to be busy this offseason.

He put them in the spotlight by talking a lot of shit and finishing dead last. That after cutting half the team and, by many accounts including a kid my daughter knows personally, screwed them by making a transfer much harder.

... and let's be real about Colorado and their football program, right? They were perpetual, bottom 3rd finishers in the Pac-12.
You seem to have a personal distain for Prime that's ok.

But the facts are, as bad as they ended up it was still better than before he took over. Also, CU was very close on many of the games they lost.

In the late 80s and early 90's CU was a powerhouse. CU boosters club pushed cash under the table to bring in players from Innercity LA. Then in the mid 90's everyone else figured out what was going on and started getting to the talent before CU could. Coach Prime, NIL, and CU Boosters are a perfect trio of no morals, and they complement each other nicely. Next season CU will do better but either way it doesn't matter because Prime will turn everything into a highly entertaining circus.

I like him because he's surfacing all the stupidness and unfairness of college sports.

If I'm a coach... why would I want a player back if they tried to leave? I'm sure there are less contentious reasons, but...
This happened to my dd in club bro. Lies and abuse made me, "look into the club portal in SoCal." I was accused of being a club hopper. God Father told me college coaches don't like club hoppers and if I dare leave and take my dd's goals with us, it's over for my beautiful and tenacious dd. I agree with you though, once you jump into the transfer portal, your current coach will look at you with scorn. The trip in all of this is the same coach is talking to players who want to leave another program. I smell hypocrisy and I truly believe most of the girls playing soccer are treated like shit. If you're a Unicorn and tune out how others are treated, then you're not a leader. A real leader will stand up for their teammates when their being abused, yelled at and lied to.

But the facts are, as bad as they ended up it was still better than before he took over. Also, CU was very close on many of the games they lost.

In the late 80s and early 90's CU was a powerhouse. CU boosters club pushed cash under the table to bring in players from Innercity LA. Then in the mid 90's everyone else figured out what was going on and started getting to the talent before CU could. Coach Prime, NIL, and CU Boosters are a perfect trio of no morals, and they complement each other nicely. Next season CU will do better but either way it doesn't matter because Prime will turn everything into a highly entertaining circus.

I like him because he's surfacing all the stupidness and unfairness of college sports.
And his son doesn't have to go to class. When I played college basketball, my coach was all over me about my grades and if I went to class. I hated class and loved the beach. I was close to being suspended for missing too many classes. Coach was fair and never yelled at me or called me names. He just told me the truth with mercy. It was hardcore in the 80s.

I loved watching Deion as a player... though he did avoid tackling. It could only GET better than 1 win and, truth be told, his last name might as well be "Kardashian" based on how he conducts his program. CU was close because they were down by 21 going into the 4th quarter and played backyard ball trying to catch up. I just don't have any respect for the bullshit. "We comin!" and "we keep receits.". For what? Last place? He lost a lot of staff and treated the kids poorly. So yes, I have disdain for a coach that shits on 19-year olds. They replaced the coach and Deion blamed the kids. I'd be embarrassed to be a part of that program.

I don't think he's a coach... I think he's a snake oil salesman, who hasn't accomplished anything, and what he's uncovered, in my opinion, is that he's not X and O... he's sunglasses and show.

The Yates Report made it very clear that we have a systematic abuse problem with woman's soccer and it ALL starts at the youth level. I know many tough love dads that think their girl should be treated like a man in soccer. I still remember the conversations about this in 2016. I just heard about another horror story of a male coach trying to get with one of his female players, who was going through life challenges and coach made his move. Thank God she got out of the situation. She's afraid to speak up because this coach knows everyone and will make her life hell in the portal. Teacher, coach, please leave our kids alone and please treat them with respect, even when you cut them. I understand that coach has pressure to win at all costs but stop abusing our daughters' assholes!!!

She is from SoCal, probably going to grad school and UCLA was ready to move on from their freshman keeper of last year.
She played for the Blues Bakers greatest team ever assembled when my dd was playing for the Blues and is from Laguna Beach. I will say with dad pride my greatest moment in youth soccer was when our #1 Blues U12 team scrimmaged the Bakers. We were destroying everyone and didn't give up a goal in league. Tad wanted us to be challenged from greatness and boy did we get crushed, 10-1. However, my dd snuck up on one of the defenders taking a nap and she scored on Campbell to go up 1-0. I have never seen a freaking coach yell so loud at a child like he did to that poor defender after he took her out. He started yelling at forwards to score and boy did they. Ryan is a class act and would always help the younger girls. Go Bruins!!!

Back