Transfer portal

socalkdg

PREMIER
Transfer portal.

This has made a huge change in the dynamics of college soccer. Love to hear from those that have used it. Tips and tricks. Upside and downside. Moving up or a down a division. Best time to use the portal. When and how.

UNC had 21 players leave the team this year, some to the pros, but most to the transfer portal. If UNC, the women's NCAA winningest program can lose that many, any school can. UCLA just took the Pac12 keeper of the year away from Stanford. Freshman don't play, they transfer.

UNC girls soccer is highlighting the changes that are happening in the college game. NIL and the Transfer Portal are slowly chipping away colleges "ownership" of players. The next phase is forcing colleges to pay cash upfront instead of the scholarship scam. (which is probably already happening under the table via NIL and boosters)

While the environment is changing when South Park made the following college sports was so ridiculous.

North Carolina had players graduate, and leave college early for pro contracts in addition to about 7 I think going into the transfer portal.

Following the North Carolina women’s soccer team’s 4-3 loss to BYU in the NCAA tournament quarterfinals, 21 players have left the program by way of entering the transfer portal, going pro or graduating.

Now, with the mass exodus of 74.4 percent of the team — including 60 percent of the Tar Heels responsible for goal and assist production — head coach Anson Dorrance faces the tall task of replenishing the roster if he wants to continue his 44-year streak of making the tournament.

Among the departures are star players such as redshirt sophomore forward Ally Sentnor and first-year defender Savy King who both opted to go pro early, as well as redshirt senior defender Maycee Bell who finished her five years at North Carolina and entered the National Women's Soccer League draft. However, there are also nine players from last year’s team that are transferring from the program.

Dorrance said after senior day that all of the seniors on the roster would either enter the draft, or transfer to a program where they’d get more playing time. This proved true, as forward Avery Patterson and midfielders Sam Meza and Talia DellaPeruta all elected to go pro while midfielder Kai Hayes and defender Paige Tolentino transferred to Baylor and N.C. State, respectively.

Aside from the expected transfer of those two seniors, seven other players from UNC entered the portal, including two first-year players, midfielder Melina Rebimbas and forward Mia Oliaro, the No. 3 and No. 18 players in the 2023 recruiting class.

With all of the departures, the Tar Heels currently have more players leaving the program than they do staying, with just 18 players on their roster for next season, including incoming 2024 recruits. However, the players North Carolina currently has do have starting experience, with six returning players having notched a start in 2023.

Transfer portal.

This has made a huge change in the dynamics of college soccer. Love to hear from those that have used it. Tips and tricks. Upside and downside. Moving up or a down a division. Best time to use the portal. When and how.

UNC had 21 players leave the team this year, some to the pros, but most to the transfer portal. If UNC, the women's NCAA winningest program can lose that many, any school can. UCLA just took the Pac12 keeper of the year away from Stanford. Freshman don't play, they transfer.
Did you say the UNC girls soccer team had 21 girls enter the portal this year and leave?
Glad to hear this for woman soccer players. These types of transactions are sending a message to top college soccer programs and not even top programs like UNC or Stanford will be spared.

Colleges will have to help players maximize their NIL value while continue to help develop soccer IQ/skills for players in order to compete with NWSL and other colleges.

Part of the problem is the multiple new opportunities for younger players to go pro. They don't want to wait, finish out college, and then go pro so players are de-committing to go pro or dropping out of college to go pro. This is affecting the college rosters in a significant way

The transfer portal is challenging and can be a difficult process so don't jump into it with fantasy ideas about what will happen. You should have realistic expectations and be flexible. You need to have enough stats from the team you are on to have made a name for yourself and to be interesting to the other college programs. It doesn't matter what your youth stats were, they are more interested in what you have done at the collegiate level by that point. You also take the risk of not finding a better situation and ending up with something less than what you wanted or expected. College coaches can bad-mouth you to other coaches and ruin opportunities behind the scene that you thought you had open if your current coach is a jerk. Unless you are a superstar, (maybe less than 10 players might be in this category) it is another recruiting process and you have to invest the time and energy into it. There are hundreds of players in the transfer portal, at one time I heard there were a 1,000 or more that you are competing with. I am guessing this has gone down some as we are coming to the end of players with the extra COVID year. You have to find a program that has room on the roster for you and they may or may not have any money upfront to offer. If you are transferring you need to be even more selective about what you want in a coach, teammates, school environment etc. Typically, you only get one chance to transfer so you want to make sure you are communicating clearly and directly with the other coaches to make a good assessment and make a good decision. If you are transferring it is because you are not happy with the experience you are having so it is important to think it through. You also have to think through the timing of it - when you enter the portal makes a difference and can affect any scholarship you have at the current school.

The transfer portal is challenging and can be a difficult process so don't jump into it with fantasy ideas about what will happen. You should have realistic expectations and be flexible. You need to have enough stats from the team you are on to have made a name for yourself and to be interesting to the other college programs. It doesn't matter what your youth stats were, they are more interested in what you have done at the collegiate level by that point. You also take the risk of not finding a better situation and ending up with something less than what you wanted or expected. College coaches can bad-mouth you to other coaches and ruin opportunities behind the scene that you thought you had open if your current coach is a jerk. Unless you are a superstar, (maybe less than 10 players might be in this category) it is another recruiting process and you have to invest the time and energy into it. There are hundreds of players in the transfer portal, at one time I heard there were a 1,000 or more that you are competing with. I am guessing this has gone down some as we are coming to the end of players with the extra COVID year. You have to find a program that has room on the roster for you and they may or may not have any money upfront to offer. If you are transferring you need to be even more selective about what you want in a coach, teammates, school environment etc. Typically, you only get one chance to transfer so you want to make sure you are communicating clearly and directly with the other coaches to make a good assessment and make a good decision. If you are transferring it is because you are not happy with the experience you are having so it is important to think it through. You also have to think through the timing of it - when you enter the portal makes a difference and can affect any scholarship you have at the current school.
Sounds like a lot of work. I bet for many players order of preference goes like this...

1. Make yourself eligible for the draft. If picked play pro if not picked go to the transfer portal.
2. Try to make the transfer portal work. If the transfer portal works new team.
3. If the transfer portal doesn't work stay at your current team.

I'm sure coaches will be awful to you if you stay. But if this happens other teams will hear about it and eventually you'll be able to get out. Unfortunately College sports are pseudo professional requiring a high level of effort and they've got players undercontrol with red tape and scholarships.

The women's side really needs something like MLS Next and a homegrown rule. Young female players are getting screwed out of their primary playing/earning years.

I know a few too many who have had to deal with the portal. My best advice is to be kind to your child. The mental pain these players go through is not easy. Praised in 8th grade as a future star and now sitting or injured from acl tear and trying to rehab and not even making the travel team or getting cut from roster all together. Coach has pressure to win and keep his/her job. The player also has to deal with grades and all the things that come with college.

Player A- Told by the coach that she will never play for him after her Fr year and not wanted. "Please leave" she was told because she takes up 80%+ full ride and barely plays. She loves the school, so she told her coach she's not leaving. Never played Soph year but is enjoying the college life and mentally doing good.

Player B- Is now transferring a second time and this time to a D2 school and will most likely start.

Player C- Coach was an asshole and was abusive. She hung up her cleats and quit school.

Player D- Went through depression and is seeking help. Quit the game:(

Player E- Kicked ass for two years and is going Pro

Player F- Played two years at P5 and started most games. Coach was mean so she is going to another P5 for a better coach.

I truly believe D2, D3 and NAIA is much better for many of these players. Parents want that Instagratification post on Instagram and D1 looks & sounds better to friends and family. I truly wish all the girl's success and great health.

Last edited:
Q to those with dd in school. Do any of your dd get to do school online and skip classes and just play soccer? Coach Prime just said this about his ds.

usatsi_21332093-1

Deion Sanders is becoming accustomed to players not having to go to class. It's all part of the evolution for student-athletes in the modern era. The Colorado Buffaloes coach recently went on the record with the Bret Boone Podcast about his first year in Boulder. He admitted a few things have changed since his days as a student-athlete at FSU and said Shedeur was missing out.

"It's so different now," (oh yes it is) Sanders admitted. "Most of the schooling is online. They go to classes and I'm like, 'You guys are missing the best part of college to walk around and be on campus and build an atmosphere and build relationships on campus with other students outside of football. That's the best part of it.

"But now you have so many kids that are just online. I don't even know if Shedeur has ever taken a class on campus in his college career."

Q to those with dd in school. Do any of your dd get to do school online and skip classes and just play soccer? Coach Prime just said this about his ds.

usatsi_21332093-1

Deion Sanders is becoming accustomed to players not having to go to class. It's all part of the evolution for student-athletes in the modern era. The Colorado Buffaloes coach recently went on the record with the Bret Boone Podcast about his first year in Boulder. He admitted a few things have changed since his days as a student-athlete at FSU and said Shedeur was missing out.

"It's so different now," (oh yes it is) Sanders admitted. "Most of the schooling is online. They go to classes and I'm like, 'You guys are missing the best part of college to walk around and be on campus and build an atmosphere and build relationships on campus with other students outside of football. That's the best part of it.

"But now you have so many kids that are just online. I don't even know if Shedeur has ever taken a class on campus in his college career."
What's going to be even more ridiculous is when we find out that Shedeur is using his NIL money to pay other students to take remote classes for him.

Anybody with experience in the transfer portal? Best time to go in? How to contact other colleges? Tips and hints?

Anybody with experience in the transfer portal? Best time to go in? How to contact other colleges? Tips and hints?
I'm going to ask my pal because I don't have any experience. I do have a curious question. Can another coach reach out to the player anytime? Is there a period of no contacting another team's player? Obviously, other coaches see the player play and might have some interest in the poach.

Sounds like a lot of work. I bet for many players order of preference goes like this...

1. Make yourself eligible for the draft. If picked play pro if not picked go to the transfer portal.
2. Try to make the transfer portal work. If the transfer portal works new team.
3. If the transfer portal doesn't work stay at your current team.

I'm sure coaches will be awful to you if you stay. But if this happens other teams will hear about it and eventually you'll be able to get out. Unfortunately College sports are pseudo professional requiring a high level of effort and they've got players undercontrol with red tape and scholarships.

The women's side really needs something like MLS Next and a homegrown rule. Young female players are getting screwed out of their primary playing/earning years.
It’s a gamble going into the portal because your current team doesn’t have to take you back - that usually is not an option. If you don’t find a new team/school to transfer to you might not be playing soccer in college. So you have to go into knowing what the possible outcomes are and have no fantasies about it.

Unless you are a grad transfer you can only go into the transfer portal at limited times - a couple weeks in December and then there are two weeks in May. I would go in whenever you are ready but it seems like the December time is better - more
Coaches seem to be getting transfers then and gives you more time to get everything settled before the fall season starts. Once you go into the portal the coach can kick you off the roster, take away any scholarship $ and lock your player out of the training facilities and you may get cut off from your friends that are all on the soccer team still

Unless you are a grad transfer you can only go into the transfer portal at limited times - a couple weeks in December and then there are two weeks in May. I would go in whenever you are ready but it seems like the December time is better - more
Coaches seem to be getting transfers then and gives you more time to get everything settled before the fall season starts. Once you go into the portal the coach can kick you off the roster, take away any scholarship $ and lock your player out of the training facilities and you may get cut off from your friends that are all on the soccer team still
I would add as we go through this process that the player’s current school cannot take any benefits away other than training with the team until the term following notification of desire to enter the portal.

The fall window is definitely the more preferable out of the two as far as the recruiting timeline goes.

usatsi_21332093-1

From knowing current students at CU I was told you will never see a football player on campus. The entire team lives off campus in a hotel and they never go to class. Sounds like he basically confirmed that above. I firmly believe this is his last season as a head coach at Boulder. Why would he change whats hes done every time in the past now? Maybe if they get really good and they just miss a Natty but get in the playoffs and he gets a really good QB to commit he might stay but if they just improve a little which they should as they are in a weaker conference now then I think he leaves with his kids. The PAC 12 was really good last year. Odds are Shilo will get drafted and then fade way when he never plays. Shedur will get drafted and never start a game and fade away as well. Most likely Deion will try to follow Shedur into the pros or quit coaching all together. Hes only done it to be with his kids which is fine. If Shedur wins a Heisman next year and a Natty then I see Shedur being a top 5 pick and Deion being an assistant coach or possible head coach depending on what team drafts him and that NFL team will give that whole circus a try. Very small odds that all happens though.

Back