Today in Fascism

Biden’s Wrecking Ball for Financial Privacy

The Biden administration is seeking to compel banks to report to the IRS any bank account with more than $600 in transactions per year. This proposal is a linchpin of Biden’s American Families Plan, and will supposedly help generate almost $500 billion in federal revenue over the next decade. But previous catch-all financial reporting requirements have helped spur national disasters, complete with pervasive federal looting.

Actually, federal money cops have long been overwhelmed by too many reports from banks. Prior federal reporting requirements buried bureaucrats in useless reports and became a de facto Terrorist Hijacker Empowerment Act . The 9/11 attacks were preceded by the biggest failure ever by U.S. financial authorities.

The Bank Secrecy Act of 1970 made it a federal crime for banks to keep secrets from the government. This law obliged banks and other financial institutions to submit a currency transaction report (CTR) to the federal government for each cash transaction involving more than $10,000. The feds harvested 17 million CTRs in 2000; federal agencies were flooded with tons of paper that bureaucrats often never bothered to examine. Beginning in 1996, banks were also obliged to file a Suspicious Activity Report on any transaction that “has no business or apparent lawful purpose or is not the sort in which the particular customer would normally be expected to engage.” The feds were soon receiving two hundred thousand suspicious activity reports per year. Greg Nojeim of the American Civil Liberties Union observed, “Congress barred financial institutions from telling their customers that their bank had spied on them by reporting their transactions to the federal government.”

Cont:

That deluge of reports provided a smokescreen for the 9/11 plotters. A 2002 United Nations report on terrorist financing noted that a “suspicious transaction report” had been filed with the U.S. government over a $69,985 wire transfer that Mohamed Atta, leader of the hijackers, received from the United Arab Emirates. However, the report noted, “this particular transaction was not noticed quickly enough, because the report was just one of a very large number and was not distinguishable from those related to other financial crimes.” Atta was on a terrorist watch list, but the avalanche of other reports the feds received targeting home buyers, boat buyers, and other innocuous transactions provided sufficient cover for the attack to proceed.

Financial reporting requirements helped spur one of the most disgraceful federal looting sprees in modern times. The IRS has exploited the technicalities of the Bank Secrecy Act – which requires banks to report any transaction over $10,000 – to preemptively confiscate the bank accounts of innocent Americans. The IRS “enforced” the Bank Secrecy Act by presuming that anyone who deposited slightly less than $10,000 was a criminal. The IRS seized a quarter billion dollars because it disapproved of how businesses and individuals structured their bank deposits and withdrawals. IRS bureaucrats don’t even need to file a criminal charge before snaring citizens’ life savings.

Would the IRS behave as atrociously with a new $600 reporting requirement as it has in the past with the $10,000 reporting requirement in the Bank Secrecy Act? In U.S. Tax Court, IRS determinations of what citizens owe are “presumed correct,” with taxpayers bearing the burden to prove the feds wrong. Corporations with well-fed legal departments routinely defeat the IRS in court but few citizens can afford to fight a federal agency that appears to hold all the cards. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen declared, “Any suggestion that instead this reporting regime will be used to target enforcement efforts on ordinary Americans is wholly misguided.” Then why do the feds want the data on almost anyone with a bank account?

Today in Fascism

The Internal Revenue Service has perennially been the authoritarian means to paternalistic ends. The Washington Post reported that “the single biggest source of new revenue in the [Biden] plan comes from dramatically expanding the clout of the nation’s tax agency.” Biden relishes condemning tax-dodging billionaires but that $600 reporting requirement is a signal that IRS purgatory could soon be crowded with average Americans.

Inch by inch, chip by chip, a tyrannical regime will take away a humans Freedom.

Resist at all costs until Freedom is fully restored !

Cede power to the wealthy, they want what’s best for all involved (as long as all means just family and shareholders). Democracy is evil.
You are a crack up. Who are these wealthy people you speak of? Do you mean the current idiots in power? I'm thinking they are pretty wealthy, especially in your neck of the woods. We've ceded power to incompetent buffoons. It's gotten so bad that the way is being paved to re-elect the old bufoon. You can't make this up. The exit strategy of your saviours leaves a lot to be desired. Complete incompetence.

Welcome. welcome to California. Stay and play and please make sure to drive and use all the gas possible to help pay to play with us. Don't forget to watch the cargo ship parade in Newport Beach going on all day and everyday.

1632750616777.png

FREEDUMB!
You couldn't have said it better than the NBA though.

The NBA has denied Golden State Warriors forward Andrew Wiggins’ request for a religious exemption from San Francisco's coronavirus vaccine mandate, meaning that he will be ineligible to play home games unless he gets the shot.

"The NBA has reviewed and denied Andrew Wiggins' request for a religious exemption from the San Francisco Department of Public Health's order requiring COVID-19 vaccination for all participants age 12 and older at large indoor events," the NBA said in a statement Friday. "Wiggins will not be able to play in Warrior home games until he fulfills the city's vaccination requirements."

The San Francisco Department of Public Health said Friday that everyone at least 12-years-old, including Warriors players, must be vaccinated if they wish to even enter the Chase Center and does not allow for medical or religious exemptions. A negative COVID test also will not be accepted in place of proof of vaccination.

"At large and mega indoor events, all patrons 12 and older must be vaccinated at this time," the department said in a statement to SFGate.

"Under the current order, if unvaccinated, they cannot enter indoor areas regardless of the reason they are unvaccinated and cannot test out of this requirement even if they have a medical or religious exemption," it continued. "This same rule applies to performers and players employed by the host at large and mega indoor events who are covered by the vaccination requirements of the Health Order."

The local vaccine requirement only applies to players competing for the home team.

You couldn't have said it better than the NBA though.

The NBA has denied Golden State Warriors forward Andrew Wiggins’ request for a religious exemption from San Francisco's coronavirus vaccine mandate, meaning that he will be ineligible to play home games unless he gets the shot.

"The NBA has reviewed and denied Andrew Wiggins' request for a religious exemption from the San Francisco Department of Public Health's order requiring COVID-19 vaccination for all participants age 12 and older at large indoor events," the NBA said in a statement Friday. "Wiggins will not be able to play in Warrior home games until he fulfills the city's vaccination requirements."

The San Francisco Department of Public Health said Friday that everyone at least 12-years-old, including Warriors players, must be vaccinated if they wish to even enter the Chase Center and does not allow for medical or religious exemptions. A negative COVID test also will not be accepted in place of proof of vaccination.

"At large and mega indoor events, all patrons 12 and older must be vaccinated at this time," the department said in a statement to SFGate.

"Under the current order, if unvaccinated, they cannot enter indoor areas regardless of the reason they are unvaccinated and cannot test out of this requirement even if they have a medical or religious exemption," it continued. "This same rule applies to performers and players employed by the host at large and mega indoor events who are covered by the vaccination requirements of the Health Order."

The local vaccine requirement only applies to players competing for the home team.
My wife noticed yesterday how I'm not into sports at all. I have not watched any sports in the last 18 months except a few of my dd soccer games. I can't imagine rolling up sleeve just so I could play. Andrew is a strong brother and I respect his decision. I do NOT respect NoCal at all but they make the call as to what is safe and not safe. I told my baby girl it might just come down to jab or no play. Most already got told, "jab or no job" so "no jab no sports" is within reason. I do wish one side would stop using kids as pawns in their way to win, but I guess they wont.

My wife noticed yesterday how I'm not into sports at all. I have not watched any sports in the last 18 months except a few of my dd soccer games. I can't imagine rolling up sleeve just so I could play. Andrew is a strong brother and I respect his decision. I do NOT respect NoCal at all but they make the call as to what is safe and not safe. I told my baby girl it might just come down to jab or no play. Most already got told, "jab or no job" so "no jab no sports" is within reason. I do wish one side would stop using kids as pawns in their way to win, but I guess they wont.
The Anti-immune system movement is filled with cowards.

I have noticed a growing tendency toward the public expression of a particular kind of envy, an angry fear that someone, somewhere might be getting an undeserved benefit. Those who want to make policy based on this view, of course, would deny my claim that the motivation is envy, and instead would argue for “social justice” as the description. Regardless, the impulse is pernicious, seeking to deny unearned benefits to others even at a cost to oneself. I propose to dub this impulse “Nutzenschmerz,” or the indignant outrage over someone getting to use something I don’t have.

The initial distribution of the (eagerly awaited, by many) Covid-19 vaccines, especially in states where “social justice” is apotheosized, was a carnival of Nutzenschmerz.
There were paroxysms of anger over the idea that someone might be jumping the queue, getting a vaccine they didn’t deserve; some claimed that “justice” should be the only consideration in deciding who got the vaccine.

The mania for “justice” reached such extreme levels that on December 28, 2020 New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed an order imposing strict penalties—with fines up to $1 million per offense—for any injustice in the dispensation of vaccines.
Since the criteria for “justice” were vague, and in fact contradictory, this meant that a large number of perfectly safe doses of the vaccine were intentionally thrown away in the first month, rather than give anyone an undeserved benefit. Cuomo, with the enthusiastic support of the legislature at the time, went so far as to threaten to revoke the medical license of any health care worker who gave a vaccine to anyone not in the priority list, even if the alternative was literally to throw the vaccine away because it spoiled quickly after being opened.

Liz Wolfe (in Reason magazine) illustrates the problem of being primarily concerned, to the exclusion of all other factors, with denying others any undeserved benefit. That is the essence of my concept of Nutzenschmerz.

The state is wrong to put these medical workers in a horrifying ethical bind where they must choose between violating the governor’s rules to help save people’s lives, or throwing scarce resources out at a time when we’re desperately attempting to reach herd immunity and avoid higher death tolls. Especially since vaccinating more people, whoever they are, is a Pareto improvement—something that would benefit at least one person (in this case, more than that, if vaccines reduce transmission too) while harming none.
(1/8/21; emphasis added)

You have embraced dumb, free yourself.
Free Dumb & Dumber. They got caught in BIG Lie. My mama told me the devil is a liar and the father of all lies. When one lies, they speak devil she told me. No Bueno where I come from. If you speak some devil by accident or even devil on purpose, you can capitulate before you go devil forever.

J.D. Tuccille is correct: Universities today are boiling cauldrons of noxious intolerance. A slice:

“American faith, it turns out, is as fervent as ever; it’s just that what was once religiousbelief has now been channeled into political belief,” Shadi Hamid of the Brookings Institution argued earlier this year in The Atlantic. “Political debates over what America is supposed to mean have taken on the character of theological disputations. This is what religion without religion looks like.”

But universities are supposed to be centers for exploring ideas and expanding knowledge, not for establishing the one, true faith. When their denizens become convinced they’ve found “the real moral truth,” as Brocic and Miles put it, that leaves little room for their original missions, or for dissenters.

“66% of students report some level of acceptance for speaker shout-downs (up 4 percentage points from FIRE’s 2020 report) and 23% consider it acceptable for people to use violence to stop certain speech (up 5 percentage points),” The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education reported last week of poll results from its 2021 College Free Speech rankings.

Back