Thanksgiving Showcases

Surf schedule has been taken down. I wonder if that means they are making adjustments to Sat and Sun games?

45min game totals / no half so you get exactly 1 full game worth of play.

The so-called committee has decided that they either greddy or just dumb to have no backup plans so might as well stick to customers who have spent thousands of dollars & time for a single game. They should do they right thing & offer 2/3rd's of the entry fees refunded but of course they won't but will give you a "discount" at the next event and want to make it seem like it's ok to play only (2) half games

I heard that the boys playing at SoCal Sports Complex are doing 45 min games for Sat and Sun because 10 of the fields are flooded and unusable.
First time I've ever been thankful we're at Del Mar. lol

So my 05 daughter played November Nights today all games were on Turf with 40 minute halves. No games lost in the whole tourney. She also helped out at Nomads for one of our other teams(keeper so wasn’t a big deal) it had 20 minute halves no break at half. Discounts should be offered if length of games are shortened or games are lost. Maybe they need to start offering rain insurance.

The so-called committee has decided that they either greddy or just dumb to have no backup plans so might as well stick to customers who have spent thousands of dollars & time for a single game. They should do they right thing & offer 2/3rd's of the entry fees refunded but of course they won't but will give you a "discount" at the next event and want to make it seem like it's ok to play only (2) half games
I double checked the emails, the SurfCup Instragram account, and the Surf Cup website and I have not seen anything about games on Saturday & Sunday being reduced to 45 minutes. 1st game is at 8:00 today, so I guess we will find out soon enough.

I double checked the emails, the SurfCup Instragram account, and the Surf Cup website and I have not seen anything about games on Saturday & Sunday being reduced to 45 minutes. 1st game is at 8:00 today, so I guess we will find out soon enough.

Who ever is making the decisions should be held accountable for making a series of bad mistakes: ignoring the weather forecast, having no back up plan, alternative dates, fields, canceling Friday due, etc, etc. Instead of doing the right thing they want to keep everyone's $$ and give 1/3rd of the games instead. Good luck getting anything meaningful out of what amounts to scrimmage games that don't count there's no scores nothing posted no got soccer. nothing. Shame on them for perpetuating what amounts to fraud.

From the director,

"The revised schedules have now bee posted.

We lost 10 fields at the Oceanside facility and have had to modify the game schedule to get all teams scheduled Saturday and Sunday and not cut anyone. There are no fields in the city available for moving the games to and the college coaches indicated they would rather see the shorter games than not have games scheduled at the same place or have teams cut. The revised schedule has been sent to them.

While not the perfect scenario, getting the players on the pitch each day was the goal. The Tournament Committee decided to schedule each game like we were going to do today.

Game length: 45-minutes total. No half-time.
Home team kicks off
Away team chooses direction
We supply 2 game balls. If they are lost or stolen the home team will provide the game ball.

We are having to start each game on the hour so as your game ends, we ask that you clear your bench quickly so that the teams coming in for the next games can move in and prepare for their games. Team talks can be done away from the benches.

The fields are wet so dress warm. Vendors are available and the Nike store will be open.

I know this is not what any of us was expecting for this weekend and weather certainly isn't something we have to deal with very much in So Cal so we do appreciate your patience with the changes and delays. We have all games ending by 2:30 on Sunday so that teams can head home as quickly as possible.

Check-in will still be 1-hour prior to your first game at the Registration tent. Please bring your player cards, and a copy of your roster to check-in.

First games tomorrow start at 8am. Not 7:30.

Thank you again for your patience.

Michelle"

"The Surf staff worked from dawn til dusk to get our fields game ready! And with that said, GAMES ARE ON!!!! Updated schedules are live! See you on the pitch tomorrow"! #CollegeCup2019
Everyone is making money except the girls. Like the girls needed these games this weekend. I'm shocked this wasn't cancelled last week :(

1575123442722.png

So my 05 daughter played November Nights today all games were on Turf with 40 minute halves. No games lost in the whole tourney. She also helped out at Nomads for one of our other teams(keeper so wasn’t a big deal) it had 20 minute halves no break at half. Discounts should be offered if length of games are shortened or games are lost. Maybe they need to start offering rain insurance.
So here’s the wacky thing going on at Nomads. My son is playing in it and yes, it’s 20 minute halves with no halftime. Fine, I get it since they had to relocate the games from UCSD. But he has a friend down here on a different team and bracket. Their 1st game was 20 minute halves but their 2nd game was the full 35 minute halves. Shouldn’t all games be the same length??? And it did affect the outcome since they were up 2-0 at the end of the 35 minute 1st half but the other team scored 2 late goals for a 2-2 draw.

I forget if it was 3 or 4 years ago but essentially the entire last two days of Surf was rained out. This has happened before and will happen again. My dd was playing November Nights and went on as scheduled. That was before Silverlakes so November Nights was a bigger draw back then.

if this is such a money maker why not spend the money to convert half the fields to turf? that way at least some games can be salvaged in the event of inclement weather, which seems to be happening a lot these days.

Families have spent a lot of money in flights, hotels, etc.

if this is such a money maker why not spend the money to convert half the fields to turf? that way at least some games can be salvaged in the event of inclement weather, which seems to be happening a lot these days.

Families have spent a lot of money in flights, hotels, etc.
Those fields are top notch and no way would they ever convert those to junk turf!! Plus, you have all the environmental groups flipping....

First time in over 10 years that I have no Thanksgiving tournament. Enjoy the time you have watching your kids play and good luck! PS the rest of the nation would call you whiners complaining about above freezing weather and wet fields.
Ya, and the "rest of the nation" you talk about when they play in 105-110 degree heat on turf complain about our weather. But I guess you won't die playing in cold, wet weather but you can in excessive heat.

Who ever is making the decisions should be held accountable for making a series of bad mistakes: ignoring the weather forecast, having no back up plan, alternative dates, fields, canceling Friday due, etc, etc. Instead of doing the right thing they want to keep everyone's $$ and give 1/3rd of the games instead. Good luck getting anything meaningful out of what amounts to scrimmage games that don't count there's no scores nothing posted no got soccer. nothing. Shame on them for perpetuating what amounts to fraud.

From the director,

We lost 10 fields at the Oceanside facility and have had to modify the game schedule to get all teams scheduled Saturday and Sunday and not cut anyone. There are no fields in the city available for moving the games to and the college coaches indicated they would rather see the shorter games than not have games scheduled at the same place or have teams cut. The revised schedule has been sent to them.

While not the perfect scenario, getting the players on the pitch each day was the goal. The Tournament Committee decided to schedule each game like we were going to do today.

Home team kicks off
We supply 2 game balls. If they are lost or stolen the home team will provide the game ball.

We are having to start each game on the hour so as your game ends, we ask that you clear your bench quickly so that the teams coming in for the next games can move in and prepare for their games. Team talks can be done away from the benches.

The fields are wet so dress warm. Vendors are available and the Nike store will be open.

I know this is not what any of us was expecting for this weekend and weather certainly isn't something we have to deal with very much in So Cal so we do appreciate your patience with the changes and delays. We have all games ending by 2:30 on Sunday so that teams can head home as quickly as possible.

Check-in will still be 1-hour prior to your first game at the Registration tent. Please bring your player cards, and a copy of your roster to check-in.

Michelle"
Do any of them have a weather app on their phone? We knew it was most likely going to be raining days ahead of time.

I have no bone in this fight, I'm just curious. For the ones saying they are greedy and bad and blahblah. What had you done differently?

I have no bone in this fight, I'm just curious. For the ones saying they are greedy and bad and blahblah. What had you done differently?

Have a backup plan, alternative dates, fields that could be used.

Reschedule ahead of time when there is 3 days of forecasted rain when your playing on fields with poor drainage. Swamp like fields where the ball does'nt roll.

Don't cancel a whole days work of games (Fri) when it was sunny & relatively dry just because a select few people had travel hangups.

Refund entry fees prorated when you can't deliver or even get close to 50% of what was promised. (2) 45 min games = 1 full regular game or 33%. Paying for a full tank of gas but only getting 1/3rd of a tank and blaming it on weather is just greddy.

Quit advertising this is the 2nd biggest college showcase tournament in the US when you know that's not even close to reality. False advertising is not a good practice and obviously not true this year.

Get a new tournament director & committee that the best interest of there customers in mind and not there bottom line profit.

Take responsibility, apologize, throw some people a bone instead of being standoffish and acting like everyone and everything thing else is too blame but your still going to take your 6 figure salary and say so sad too bad.

I couldn't go on but think you get the point.

Poor planning, no back up fields, cut length of games. Cancelled game and no discount per say. Differed to a future event.

There is enough blame to go around. How about coaches and parents be realistic too. Don’t travel from out of town for a winter tournament unless your players are interested in attending th colleges that are in attendance and have a realistic shot of being recruited. And how about Ulittles stay home and enjoy the break with family?

I did not know that Michelle is advertising it as the 2nd biggest college showcase. Just plan sad.

I thought everyone learned from Albion’s mess a few years ago and that was in the summer.

My only empathy is with the families that have been sold a lie and can’t afford it.

I am not a big fan of the Surf tournaments, and my teams will almost never attend one. Mostly it is because we play the same teams in the Surf tournament that we would otherwise play in other tournaments or in CRL. And the other tournaments charge half the price.

But another reason for not entering is Surf's ham-fisted "Refund Policy." It is posted as part of the rules which are available for everyone to see before signing up. That policy says:

"REFUND POLICY In the event of inclement weather or other circumstances out of the tournament’s control leading to a complete cancellation of the event in which no games are played, Surf Cup Sports may refund a maximum of 25% of the tournament’s registration fees."

The bottom line is this: You signed up for an incredibly expensive tournament which is played during a season where rain-outs are a real possibility. You should have read the Refund Policy, and if you did not, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Caveat emptor: The principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

From the director,

Home team kicks off

Michelle"
My DD played 2 games today and I watched most of 2 others, all games I witnessed had 2 1/2s of 40 minutes per 1/2. This was at Del Mar, Oceanside may have been different.

What to do differently? How about not have tournaments in nov/dec and just wait til the spring. Patents blaming the tournament organizers should just blame themselves. Parents apparently cannot get enough soccer so we must do a tournament! How about scrimmages rather than tournaments during the off season. Let the kids be kids and enjoy a few weeks off after the season is over.

Back