Thanksgiving Showcases

I am not a big fan of the Surf tournaments, and my teams will almost never attend one. Mostly it is because we play the same teams in the Surf tournament that we would otherwise play in other tournaments or in CRL. And the other tournaments charge half the price.

But another reason for not entering is Surf's ham-fisted "Refund Policy." It is posted as part of the rules which are available for everyone to see before signing up. That policy says:

"REFUND POLICY In the event of inclement weather or other circumstances out of the tournament’s control leading to a complete cancellation of the event in which no games are played, Surf Cup Sports may refund a maximum of 25% of the tournament’s registration fees."

The bottom line is this: You signed up for an incredibly expensive tournament which is played during a season where rain-outs are a real possibility. You should have read the Refund Policy, and if you did not, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Caveat emptor: The principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.
Maybe they should call it, "The Surf Cup 500" That's a lot of coaches :)
Surf Cup Sports
"Thank you @kusinews for coming to cover #CollegeCup2019. With over 500 college scouts attending, more college scholarships are earned on our grass than any other grass in the nation!"

What to do differently? How about not have tournaments in nov/dec and just wait til the spring. Patents blaming the tournament organizers should just blame themselves. Parents apparently cannot get enough soccer so we must do a tournament! How about scrimmages rather than tournaments during the off season. Let the kids be kids and enjoy a few weeks off after the season is over.
Fear of missing out! We’d like to stay home and enjoy our time with family, but that 9 year old might get ahead of my 9 year old, if she doesn’t play in tourneys, futsal, speed training, private coach, dietitian and 3 different languages....

And this is why parents jump ship, who doesn’t want a scholarship to play ball? How do you compete as a smaller club?
You can't. As one dad said a few months ago, it's called, "captitalism."
Fear of missing out! We’d like to stay home and enjoy our time with family, but that 9 year old might get ahead of my 9 year old, if she doesn’t play in tourneys, futsal, speed training, private coach, dietitian and 3 different languages....
The commitment their asking 9 years old girls' to play this much soccer is insane and it gets way worse at 12 and 13.
1575177219410.png

Hey @Socal0. I felt the same way 5 years ago. I was told my dd was too good at soccer to play another sport. Plus, we were told all the YNT scouts were looking for her and the Doc said she needs to focus 100% on soccer to reach her goal to be on the National Team and not get left behind.

Don't buy into that feeling of being "Left Behind."
1575214538801.png

Maybe they should call it, "The Surf Cup 500" That's a lot of coaches :)
Surf Cup Sports
"Thank you @kusinews for coming to cover #CollegeCup2019. With over 500 college scouts attending, more college scholarships are earned on our grass than any other grass in the nation!"
So did a lot of coaches show up? Looking online both tournaments had a lot of coaches listed, but many of the typical big name schools were missing.

So did a lot of coaches show up? Looking online both tournaments had a lot of coaches listed, but many of the typical big name schools were missing.
No clue, I was on a cruise :) 500 is very impressive regardless of the weather. U15 and above can't complain. Surf Cup Sports has the best "grass" in the country!!!! I love their grass :)

For the older boys college showcase the turnout has been very low / disappointing so far. We had 6 scheduled to see our Friday game but it was canceled. Saturday morning only saw one coach out of the eight. The fields where so wet you count'nt really move the ball around, 45 min total game didn't help either as enough playing time was hard to come by especially for subs. At least we where good at outside shooting and put some numbers up.

For a college showcase I would give this one 3 out 10 being generous but there is always today's 45 min game.

Back