Surf Players Being Discouraged from playing HS?

Your opinion is common among douchy helicopter parents who can't accept reality or see the big picture. He does not have time for them or their petulant children and does not need their money. There are plenty of folks with money and with kids who can play that gladly stay out of the way while he helps turn into players that get into Stanford and UCLA.
Geez are you his PR manager? I have no dog in the fight and do not know a thing about the guy. But, your posts are a little try too hard here. Take a breath. You are so far up his a*s, that it is hard to take your posts credibly.

In a perfect world, you are right, but it is not a perfect world. My kid did not play HS as a freshman because she was pretty small still, and ended up being asked to play up as filler at an ECNL showcase to help the sophomores get recruited and because a couple kids had played HS instead. She went from filler to being recruited by 20 schools in less than a week, while one of the kids who played HS ended up getting hurt later, missed the next showcase, and that was pretty much that. Another landed on the bench because my kid took her spot while she was gone. They both ended up at different clubs and at colleges their parents believed were beneath them. They didn't play in front of college coaches until well into their junior and senior years and by then most of the top colleges were done making offers to anyone other than purple unicorns.

You never know when or how your kid will get found. But if you're going to ECNL events playing under Deza, your kid is pretty much maximizing their recruiting potential. And if they don't, they run a real risk that that they go to Pepperdine or SDSU when it could have been UCLA or USC. Or maybe they still get an offer at UCLA or USC, but it's as a recruited walk on because they already committed all their money to kids they offered from the ECNL showcase they missed.

Yes, if injuries ONLY happen in HS and if the ONLY critical showcases for UCLA and USC are held in the winter, you are right. But we know that you are fitting a narrative that works for you and that there are a number of kids playing (and soon to be playing) at UCLA, USC, FSU, UNC, Stanford, etc. who played HS and a number of kids rehabbing or post-rehab who were injured in club games. And because we operate in the real world and not a vacuum, we just can't know which kids missed that once-in-a-lifetime shot at UCLA or USC and had to "settle" for Pepperdine or SDSU because they missed that winter showcase or that kid who was injured in HS who definitely would not have been injured in a club game.

As an aside, it's funny seeing idiots like crush proclaim their love for the NCAA rule change not realizing that it only took power out of his hands and gave it to the club coaches and DOCs he hates so much.
This is 100% wrong. In fact, college coaches said just the opposite. The recruiting rule change took the power out of the club coaches hands. They used to have to go through the club coach when they wanted to talk to a player. The club coach would then tell the player to call the college coach (college coaches were at the mercy of the club coach to pass along the message). This allowed them to start the recruiting process. But, with the new recruiting rules, they cannot talk to the player before June 15 after sophomore year PERIOD. So no need to go through club coaches anymore.

So you're saying that if a a player isn't in Showcases by Freshman/Sophomore year in HS that College coaches won't notice your kid. I find this hard to believe. Sure this is the age when coaches are looking but they'll be combing through ECNL rosters making notes on all players. If they see a name that's not playing from a top club they'll make an effort to figure out what's going on.

No I am not saying that. I am saying you don't know how or when you will get found, but playing HS when you could be playing in front of 50+ college coaches is not doing yourself any favors if your priority is to get recruited. You are taking chances that your kid will end up at a lesser school than where they belong.

The idea that college coaches are "combing through ECNL rosters making notes on all players" is a fantasy. At most major programs, they're pretty much fielding calls from the club coaches they know, watching their recommendations a few times usually at showcases or if they happen to be playing in town, and then making offers. The youth soccer world is littered with kiddos who ended up at lesser schools because their parents are idiots.

The real problem is that you have not learned anything. You have done nothing but piss off everyone around you who tried to help you and your kid, including by repeatedly blaming them for your own horrible decisions.

Love the xenophobia btw.
I saw the helping "free" hand(s)outs and what it took to play and pay the man with the hand outs and no way I could stoop so low and sell my soul dude. I saw how this game was being played in the back room and frankly, I thought it was all a joke until I pissed everyone off who had their hand out trying to help me to STFU. I poked a fucking Grizzly Bear and had no idea how big this bear was at the time or maybe I would have listen to the real problem, me and my mouth. My goal is to help Build Back a Better soccer for the future girl players. Deza is the real deal and my dd scored two goals on his #1 team, like a couple years ago I think. He's the best defensive minded coach of all time as well and she got two that day in front of him and all the others that day. It was epic! They((The scouts)) were not happy with HSS and her decision to say, "Adios GDA." I will hold so close the memories of my dd winning the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in 2017 and then standing up for what she wanted and not what the Doc(s) said about this and that.

Last edited:
In a perfect world, you are right, but it is not a perfect world. My kid did not play HS as a freshman because she was pretty small still, and ended up being asked to play up as filler at an ECNL showcase to help the sophomores get recruited and because a couple kids had played HS instead. She went from filler to being recruited by 20 schools in less than a week, while one of the kids who played HS ended up getting hurt later, missed the next showcase, and that was pretty much that. Another landed on the bench because my kid took her spot while she was gone. They both ended up at different clubs and at colleges their parents believed were beneath them. They didn't play in front of college coaches until well into their junior and senior years and by then most of the top colleges were done making offers to anyone other than purple unicorns.

You never know when or how your kid will get found. But if you're going to ECNL events playing under Deza, your kid is pretty much maximizing their recruiting potential. And if they don't, they run a real risk that that they go to Pepperdine or SDSU when it could have been UCLA or USC. Or maybe they still get an offer at UCLA or USC, but it's as a recruited walk on because they already committed all their money to kids they offered from the ECNL showcase they missed.
Oh the arrogance you possess. Last I saw, Pepperdine had a better season than both USC and UCLA. And, last I checked the West Coast Conference has two teams in the College Cup final four. Yet, you consider Pepperdine a step down. Keep digging a hole, dude. Your credibility is literally shot.

No I am not saying that. I am saying you don't know how or when you will get found, but playing HS when you could be playing in front of 50+ college coaches is not doing yourself any favors if your priority is to get recruited. You are taking chances that your kid will end up at a lesser school than where they belong.

The idea that college coaches are "combing through ECNL rosters making notes on all players" is a fantasy. At most major programs, they're pretty much fielding calls from the club coaches they know, watching their recommendations a few times usually at showcases or if they happen to be playing in town, and then making offers. The youth soccer world is littered with kiddos who ended up at lesser schools because their parents are idiots.
I can say this is 100% true. If you want pay to play at the next level, STFU!

Oh the arrogance you possess. Last I saw, Pepperdine had a better season than both USC and UCLA. And, last I checked the West Coast Conference has two teams in the College Cup final four. Yet, you consider Pepperdine a step down. Keep digging a hole, dude. Your credibility is literally shot.
Big U or bust with this guy. Maps taught me the truth about what it took to make the grade at Big U. I'm stoked for the Mid Majors. My dd old teammates are all getting minutes and making an impact. I think college soccer should be a path, not the path after HSS and club. Thoughts?

This is 100% wrong. In fact, college coaches said just the opposite. The recruiting rule change took the power out of the club coaches hands. They used to have to go through the club coach when they wanted to talk to a player. The club coach would then tell the player to call the college coach (college coaches were at the mercy of the club coach to pass along the message). This allowed them to start the recruiting process. But, with the new recruiting rules, they cannot talk to the player before June 15 after sophomore year PERIOD. So no need to go through club coaches anymore.

Sure. Currently the only way for a college coach and a player to have any "contact" until late sophomore year is through their club coach, while in the past it helped to get an introduction from the club coach but after that you could have all the contact and make all the visits you wanted. Now, however, the only way for a family to get a decent idea about a program and a coach's demeanor is by relying on what your club coach tells you because you can't even visit until junior year, so now offers are being made and accepted before a kid can even visit a coach on campus. But colleges love the new rule for a couple reasons. First, the don't have to live up to verbal offers made early when the kid gets hurt or doesn't progress. Second, they don't need to waste any more time schmoozing annoying people during informal visits.

Also, if you think college coaches are sitting around twiddling their thumbs to start the recruiting process on June 15 of sophomore year, you are an idiot. Decisions are still essentially being made before then, only they are being made through club coaches without any personal interaction between families and colleges. Club coaches have all the power now due to the compressed recruiting time period.

Sure. Currently the only way for a college coach and a player to have any "contact" until late sophomore year is through their club coach, while in the past it helped to get an introduction from the club coach but after that you could have all the contact and make all the visits you wanted. Now, however, the only way for a family to get a decent idea about a program and a coach's demeanor is by relying on what your club coach tells you because you can't even visit until junior year, so now offers are being made and accepted before a kid can even visit a coach on campus. But colleges love the new rule for a couple reasons. First, the don't have to live up to verbal offers made early when the kid gets hurt or doesn't progress. Second, they don't need to waste any more time schmoozing annoying people during informal visits.

Also, if you think college coaches are sitting around twiddling their thumbs to start the recruiting process on June 15 of sophomore year, you are an idiot. Decisions are still essentially being made before then, only they are being made through club coaches without any personal interaction between families and colleges. Club coaches have all the power now due to the compressed recruiting time period.
You sure are a trip. Right sometimes and wrong so much of the time. I like this post though. Word gets out by 7th or 8th grade about the next best goats in SoCal. Remember, were not talking just soccer skills to make it the next level. You need $$$$, 4.0++ excellent and worthy of greatness SAT scores+ volunteer your free time helping the homeless and those in need and parents who STFU and pay to play. If you piss off the wrong connections, blacklisted is sure to come your way.

Oh FFS. USC and UCLA both constitute more desirable destinations for an elite soccer player. If USC, UCLA and Pepperdine make 100 offers that are financially similar, 99 out of 100 choose USC or UCLA, and maybe one goes with Pepperdine. That is not a slight against Pepperdine. It is because USC and UCLA have better soccer programs regardless of the fact that Pepperdine had one good season, they are better academic institutions, and they provide better opportunities for pretty much everything that doesn't involve a career in god. But if your kid is going to pick a college because chasing national championships is important to her, by all means go with Pepperdine over UCLA and USC. Makes a lot of sense.

Oh FFS. USC and UCLA both constitute more desirable destinations for an elite soccer player. If USC, UCLA and Pepperdine make 100 offers that are financially similar, 99 out of 100 choose USC or UCLA, and maybe one goes with Pepperdine. That is not a slight against Pepperdine. It is because USC and UCLA have better soccer programs regardless of the fact that Pepperdine had one good season, they are better academic institutions, and they provide better opportunities for pretty much everything that doesn't involve a career in god. But if your kid is going to pick a college because chasing national championships is important to her, by all means go with Pepperdine over UCLA and USC. Makes a lot of sense.
I love Pepperdine and that awesome campus. I think more then 1% would pick Pepperdine. Maybe 1 is a joke of a guess? Have you been on that campus? Amazing amazing and the location is amazing and the kids that go to school there are amazing. My best pal teaches two classes.

Last edited:
Geez are you his PR manager? I have no dog in the fight and do not know a thing about the guy. But, your posts are a little try too hard here. Take a breath. You are so far up his a*s, that it is hard to take your posts credibly.

I love how people here get so upset when someone gets in the way of their bs gossipy conspiracy theories. Gosh, maybe now is a good time to add Deza to that conspiracy involving Amanda Cromwell, the LA Times, the federal Department of Justice and the Annenberg family?

Big U or bust with this guy. Maps taught me the truth about what it took to make the grade at Big U. I'm stoked for the Mid Majors. My dd old teammates are all getting minutes and making an impact. I think college soccer should be a path, not the path after HSS and club. Thoughts?

its possible College Soccer for woman could become what it has become for men, professional soccer for woman is just not really a viable career path for the vast vast majority right now, though Id argue it isn't really that viable of a career path for the vast majority of men .

a family member of mine went around and played in some low tier Europe leagues for essentially room and board with host families after high school. Many of us thought he should move on with his life, but he was young and he loved the sport.

I love Pepperdine and that awesome campus. I think more then 1% would pick Pepperdine. Maybe 1 is a joke of a guess. Have you been on that campus? Amazing amazing and the location is amazing and the kids that go to school there are amazing. My best pal teaches two classes.

Does Pepperdine hand out free rides for woman's soccer. Thats a very expensive college choice if not

its possible College Soccer for woman could become what it has become for men, professional soccer for woman is just not really a viable career path for the vast vast majority right now, though Id argue it isn't really that viable of a career path for the vast majority of men .

a family member of mine went around and played in some low tier Europe leagues for essentially room and board with host families after high school. Many of us thought he should move on with his life, but he was young and he loved the sport.
Youth only comes once bro and wtf make it so hard for the youth who like to play soccer. It really is insane and sad if you want to play soccer for fun and try and win and play with the best during HS years and teenage life. Were doing school and soccer all wrong in the States and I hope everyone is seeing what I see now. Take Math for example. Horrible subject for most kids. It makes kids feel dumb and no need to do that. Take soccer. My kid could be a 4.8 soccer player but 2.0 math player. Then they make you take SAT ((some cheat and have others take the test for them)) to see if your smart enough to pay to play soccer. I'm just saying it would be cool if you could just have a very high level soccer league for the best of the best and then take some classes at night.

Does Pepperdine hand out free rides for woman's soccer. Thats a very expensive college choice if not
If you got excellent grades, a great attitude, treat others with respect and can play soccer, I think a few can get the ride with the grades and soccer. I dont think their giving out free rides for just soccer and low GPA. You have to have the complete package. Great school to play soccer and get a degree. They got some great players coming in next year. I think they can win it all, moo :)

If you got excellent grades, a great attitude, treat others with respect and can play soccer, I think a few can get the ride with the grades and soccer. I dont think their giving out free rides for just soccer and low GPA. You have to have the complete package. Great school to play soccer and get a degree. They got some great players coming in next year. I think they can win it all, moo :)

well maybe some things have changed over the years, but I did hear a story about Jill Ellis telling a high level player who had a decent GPA ( below the student average )but not the SAT ( wasn't really close to average, like 200-300 below) that they can get this player tutors

Is there some leeway given to the cream of the crop still?

This was back when Anson had a monopoly on the sport , and wouldn't recognize your player unless they were a national team player

NorCal folks fall into 2 camps with Deza -- Love him or don't -- not many fall in between. We had 2 interactions with him, one with PDP and one with DA. In neither case did my kid feel like she wanted to play for him. Obviously he and his coaches did some great things for some players. He has definitely burned bridges with how he operates. I have known players that he has had that did play HS or other sports outside of soccer to a point, I also know others that didn't want to possibly lose out by not training with others coming in. I agree he never wanted to limit his pool of players to train or have available to play games. I think if his superstars had wanted to play HS he wouldn't have stopped them.

On the HS front we heard all the negative things about playing, but we haven't seen any of it. The better players are able to use the skills to keep out of the way of harm in most cases. My kid played last year and had a blast and is playing again. Missing an ECNL showcase will obviously limit exposure, just for the fact that you aren't there. However, there are many showcases around the country to attend as well as numerous camps, so that if you want to be recruited and you have some skills you can find a place that will work for you.

I love the idea of my kid playing for her school more than I do going to showcases --

NorCal folks fall into 2 camps with Deza -- Love him or don't -- not many fall in between. We had 2 interactions with him, one with PDP and one with DA. In neither case did my kid feel like she wanted to play for him. Obviously he and his coaches did some great things for some players. He has definitely burned bridges with how he operates. I have known players that he has had that did play HS or other sports outside of soccer to a point, I also know others that didn't want to possibly lose out by not training with others coming in. I agree he never wanted to limit his pool of players to train or have available to play games. I think if his superstars had wanted to play HS he wouldn't have stopped them.

On the HS front we heard all the negative things about playing, but we haven't seen any of it. The better players are able to use the skills to keep out of the way of harm in most cases. My kid played last year and had a blast and is playing again. Missing an ECNL showcase will obviously limit exposure, just for the fact that you aren't there. However, there are many showcases around the country to attend as well as numerous camps, so that if you want to be recruited and you have some skills you can find a place that will work for you.

I love the idea of my kid playing for her school more than I do going to showcases --

The 2019 national HS player of the year played club for Deza, as have a couple other recent HS All Americans all of whom came back after HS, plus just about everyone on his 02 Quakes team. His own kid played HS. All of this stuff about how he boots kids off his teams for playing HS is just so ridiculous. But if your kid isn't great, they run the risk of getting replaced or benched while they are gone, because life is about making choices. Some people here, however, seem to think it is about blaming everyone but themselves for the choices they make instead of taking responsibility for them. There's nothing wrong with him or Surf discouraging HS, just as there is nothing wrong with taking a parent taking their chances that playing it anyway will work out. It's not some evil, nefarious plot. There is something very wrong, however, with parents blaming him for the fact that their kid just isn't good enough to play HS without having to worry about getting replaced. Deza is pretty straightforward about that, but some parents only want sunshine blown up their ass.

Is goalie helicopter mommy ever going to explain what Deza did to her kid that was so horrible? I'm guessing her kid never even made the team and she has never even talked to him in her life. Instead she's regurgitating bs previously spewed by other jilted parents of players who just weren't that good. Am I right goalie helicopter mom?

Back