Surf cup controversy

As a parent of a 14 y/o girl that has primarily played with boys, I respectfully disagree with your risk assessment. Yes, I get that boys are stronger and faster and there is an injury risk associated with girls playing with boys. But, I think many girls are reckless, uncoordinated, and there’s a higher likelihood of being injured playing with girls.

I find it funny when folks tell me that my kid has to adjust to the physicality of the game in the USA, when she has only played with boys prior to playing here. If folks are concerned about player safety, get better refs.
I have a 13 y/o boy and a 10 y/o girl. My 10 year old girl had played Sunday mexican league against boys since she was like 6 so I understand. My 13 y/o boy also goes against the occasional female on the other team. Some have even been the best player. At his age, most girls aren't playing on boys teams anymore. When they are, you better believe that every boy eases up before a challenge with her. You'd be fooling yourself to think this isn't the case.

So then my question to you as a coach is this- if you're coaching 9/10 year old girls and your team is playing against a boy/transgender girl who has clearly started puberty much younger than most and is playing in a very physical manner, what do you do? And if one of your players is injured as a result of physical play, how do you address the parents on the sideline who no doubt will be upset and say they saw that coming?

Also - competitive level is not an issue. Every concern that I've encountered or heard in a scenario like this is about player safety.

We all know your "safety" bs is just a pretext because you're too chickenshit to just come out and say how you really feel. If you had even the slightest concern about the safety of 10 year old girls, you'd be focusing your attention on what the little non-trans shits are doing to girls at school, not what is happening at a soccer tournament for 10 year old children, which has a ridiculous amount of oversight including a ref, a field marshal, two coaches, plus the army of people who previously evaluated and correctly determined that 10 year old trans girls are not dangerous in kiddie soccer. If you had any concern whatsoever about the safety of 10 year olds, you'd be far more worried about the actual danger to a 10 year old trans girl being forced to play with 10 year old shit bag versions of yourself in front of shit bag parents like you who are apparently bent on outing them online.

Here is what you should do, whether you are a coach or a parent. Shut your mouth and let the game go on. None of your real objections have to do with "player safety." Every game played at ages 9-12 has a few players who are much bigger, or much more physical, or further ahead in terms of puberty. Nobody tries to disqualify bigger kids based on "player safety," otherwise there would be weight or height limitations attached to each age group. That 10-year-old girl who is 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier can muscle out all of the other players on the field with impunity as long as she follows the rules of the game. And afterward, you and your coach will be in the parking lot trying to recruit her. (I would.)

Your claim that having a 10-year-old transgender boy creates a "safety issue" is a transparent pretext for your true agenda. You don't like transgender kids, and you don't want one playing against your daughter.

Let me ask you something. Suppose that a 10-year-old "boy" truly identifies as a "girl" and wants to play soccer with other girls. Don't you think that it is hard enough on her without parents like you posting and publicly objecting to her right to play?

A little more compassion on your part might be in order.
Player safety needs to be addressed immediately regardless of gender. This should be rule #1 of any official or parent on the sideline - period.

You don't want specifics mentioned about a 10 year old player but then want to generalize "none of your real objections have to do with player safety" and "you don't like transgender kids and you don't want one playing against your daughter". Take a look at this thread and you can see that several have jumped to the assumption that anyone who thinks that this is worth even having a conversation about is "anti-trans" and you can see where the real issue lies.

We all know your "safety" bs is just a pretext because you're too chickenshit to just come out and say how you really feel. If you had even the slightest concern about the safety of 10 year old girls, you'd be focusing your attention on what the little non-trans shits are doing to girls at school, not what is happening at a soccer tournament for 10 year old children, which has a ridiculous amount of oversight including a ref, a field marshal, two coaches, plus the army of people who previously evaluated and correctly determined that 10 year old trans girls are not dangerous in kiddie soccer. If you had any concern whatsoever about the safety of 10 year olds, you'd be far more worried about the actual danger to a 10 year old trans girl being forced to play with 10 year old shit bag versions of yourself in front of shit bag parents like you who are apparently bent on outing them online.
Again, congratulations on having an opinion. Too bad it's stupid.

I think a parent that is complaining about physical play at the age of 9/10 might need to consider a different sport.

There a massive size difference at this age regardless of gender. We can't keep big physical kids from smashing smaller kids. That's the nature of the sport.

Some of those little guys, including my 10 year old, are monsters in their own right. Physical play doesn't intimate them.
Trust that I'm not complaining about physical play. Like I've said earlier, it's simply worth having the discussion. There are always going to be issues of players playing aggressively which will need to be tempered down by the referee.

Does a transgender girl on the soccer field get officiated differently than the rest of the girls? Do the parents on both sidelines react differently to the officiating of this player? The answer, from personal experience, is that yes - they do.

Trust that I'm not complaining about physical play. Like I've said earlier, it's simply worth having the discussion. There are always going to be issues of players playing aggressively which will need to be tempered down by the referee.

Does a transgender girl on the soccer field get officiated differently than the rest of the girls? Do the parents on both sidelines react differently to the officiating of this player? The answer, from personal experience, is that yes - they do.

Uh, you were just complaining about physical play dumb shit (see below).

And no, there is no need for discussion. Anyone with half a brain (which you obviously lack) knows a 10 year old trans girl does not present a safety risk in a little kiddie soccer game, especially one being overseen by a ref, two coaches, and a field marshal, and approved by an army of people who evaluated the issue and determined it is perfectly appropriate. Anyone with half a brain also knows, however, that a significant risk exists if that same 10 year old trans girl is playing goalie in a boys' game being played by 10 year old versions of you and being watched by transphobic shit bags like you, who are so cruel that you'd actually out a 10 year old girl online.

The idea that little trans girls are getting the benefit of favorable refereeing is such ridiculous bullshit. You and your demon spawn are not the victims. You are the truly evil shit bags in this story. And pretty pathetic ones took given that you're scared of a 10 year old girl who may or may not be trans. Are you really scared because it's hitting too close to home in your family?

So then my question to you as a coach is this- if you're coaching 9/10 year old girls and your team is playing against a boy/transgender girl who has clearly started puberty much younger than most and is playing in a very physical manner, what do you do? And if one of your players is injured as a result of physical play, how do you address the parents on the sideline who no doubt will be upset and say they saw that coming?

Also - competitive level is not an issue. Every concern that I've encountered or heard in a scenario like this is about player safety.

I have a 13 y/o boy and a 10 y/o girl. My 10 year old girl had played Sunday mexican league against boys since she was like 6 so I understand. My 13 y/o boy also goes against the occasional female on the other team. Some have even been the best player. At his age, most girls aren't playing on boys teams anymore. When they are, you better believe that every boy eases up before a challenge with her. You'd be fooling yourself to think this isn't the case.
Very true. But I’d rather a boy tackle my girl hella hard with proper technique, than one of these big ass uncoordinated ECNL girls recklessly running into her.

In that case, your beef is with the parents and the referee. Not the player.

I seriously doubt that you have "personal experience" with watching transgender players on the field, and if you have, there weren't many. I have been coaching for over 30 years, all with girls. I have coached girls in probably 200 tournaments. I have never seen a transgender player of either sex. I have seen (and had) female players who were mistaken for boys, and have personally seen parents say abusive things to them from the sidelines. In one game in Temecula, the referee actually stopped a game for 10 minutes to have parents on the other sideline removed for their behavior. In all these cases, the complaining parents were flat-out wrong; they just assumed that a talented player with short hair had to be a boy.

Yes, it is incredibly rare. That said, my daughter has played against trans girls in ECNL and GDA and never had a problem, because none of them ever presented an actual "safety" or any other type of risk. It also helps that my kid isn't a pathetic whiny snowflake and doesn't have a similarly pathetic father who is scared of 10 year old girls.

WTF? So you're saying you're worried a 10 year old girl who may or may not be trans presents a safety risk that we need to talk about, but an entire team of 13 year old boys, including your son, can play against an opponent with one girl and, in fact, you let him do it? Honestly, it's hard to imagine any more obvious proof that you're a dumb shit with a transphobic agenda than this.

Uh, you were just complaining about physical play dumb shit (see below).
Asking questions about how someone would handle a situation is now "complaining". Got it.
10 year old trans girl is playing goalie in a boys' game being played by 10 year old versions of you and being watched by transphobic shit bags like you, who are so cruel that you'd actually out a 10 year old girl online.
You've given more specifics about this player in this one statement than I have in this whole thread yet I'm the one who is trying to "out" the player. Well done.
In that case, your beef is with the parents and the referee. Not the player.

I seriously doubt that you have "personal experience" with watching transgender players on the field, and if you have, there weren't many. I have been coaching for over 30 years, all with girls. I have coached girls in probably 200 tournaments. I have never seen a transgender player of either sex. I have seen (and had) female players who were mistaken for boys, and have personally seen parents say abusive things to them from the sidelines. In one game in Temecula, the referee actually stopped a game for 10 minutes to have parents on the other sideline removed for their behavior. In all these cases, the complaining parents were flat-out wrong; they just assumed that a talented player with short hair had to be a boy.
Like most cases of player safety, the on-field issue stems with the referee. What's interesting is that most of the comments in this thread are assuming that every transgender player is trying to keep their gender a secret. In regards to short haired girls- If I heard someone yelling hateful/hurtful things at any child, regardless of whether it's my sideline or another, I'd step in. Not okay.

WTF? So you're saying you're worried a 10 year old girl who may or may not be trans presents a safety risk that we need to talk about
Never said that I was worried or that we needed to talk about the 10 year old girl but you keep bringing up a specific player. I simply responded with how a tournament handled a specific complaint about the player. Comprehension obviously isn't your strong suit.

Very true. But I’d rather a boy tackle my girl hella hard with proper technique, than one of these big ass uncoordinated ECNL girls recklessly running into her.
Absolutely- tackles are a part of the game. One of my son's rival teams out here in Oxnard had a girl playing center back (she moved onto a girls side this past fall) and was easily the most skilled player on the team. She was also very physical and definitely got away with the dark arts more than her teammates did. When there was any challenge on her though, their sideline would be up in arms about it with some even yelling out "that's a girl!" The boys needed to be reminded before games and at half time that if she's on the field you go hard on her too. Definitely had the boys psyched out.

As a parent of a 14 y/o girl that has primarily played with boys, I respectfully disagree with your risk assessment. Yes, I get that boys are stronger and faster and there is an injury risk associated with girls playing with boys. But, I think many girls are reckless, uncoordinated, and there’s a higher likelihood of being injured playing with girls.

I find it funny when folks tell me that my kid has to adjust to the physicality of the game in the USA, when she has only played with boys prior to playing here. If folks are concerned about player safety, get better refs.

Very true. Many times I observed that my daughter's games are lot more physical/dangerous than my boy's games. Mostly due to uncoordinated play by big, strong girls. Boys may be more aggressive but stay within soccer rules (less high kick, elbow, etc. and more shoulder tackle).
I think big, strong girl are rewarded more in a game thus enforcing their believe to play in a certain way. Plus the ref seems to be more forgiving for girls, again rewarding dangerous fouls.

The issue raised in this thread is certainly an emerging and important topic in our nation these days. However, this would be better taken up with tournament officials or other governing body offline. Remember, this is a 10-year-old child - who quite possibly could be internet savvy or have friends who are.
Having an adult directly refer to any child by some identifiable characteristic (i.e. by position, team, or other characteristic) is terribly dangerous in the best of circumstances. But that is especially true where the child may be conscientious of either appearance (not measuring up to society's norms of what a girl or boy should look like) or trying to fit in while transitioning. Please think carefully before further posting on this thread

I honestly can't believe this post is still here. I guess it is too late as J0g0_B0nit0 has already let the cat out of the bag.

If any of you were coaches or referees, you would have taken Safe Sport, and this post goes against everything in that to keep children safe.

Creating a new thread to discuss the general issue, but leave specific kids and teams out of it:

I hope they can delete the identifying parts of this thread.

It's fine for you subject a specific 10 year old girl to online abuse by either "outing" her or mocking her appearance, but not so great when someone is talking about yours? Sure.
How am I mocking or outing her just asked a question since everyone was whispering about it and have by asking a question on a Adult forum to adults

you 'couldn't care less'
Dead wrong buddy
Yes, it is incredibly rare. That said, my daughter has played against trans girls in ECNL and GDA and never had a problem, because none of them ever presented an actual "safety" or any other type of risk. It also helps that my kid isn't a pathetic whiny snowflake and doesn't have a similarly pathetic father who is scared of 10 year old girls.

At this point your now starting to get disrespectful and immature I can tell your a keyboard warrior

we do know their gender though. the kid is a male.

Actually you don't. You know some shit bag like yourself asked whether she is trans and, because you're also a shit bag, you decided she must be and decided it would be really fun to contribute to degrading a 10 year old online.

Dead wrong buddy

At this point your now starting to get disrespectful and immature I can tell your a keyboard warrior

Are you upset that someone is criticizing your 10 year old online? And yes, you and your dainty little flower are both scared of 10 year old girls.

Back