Slammers HB Koge

can someone educate me on the HB Koge teams of CDA Slammers?
I know it's an affiliation with some Danish side.

- Are all the ECNL teams from Slammers labeled as Slammers HB Koge?
- Is it some training methodology/development program?
- Is it only their top teams for each age group after a certain age?
- How is it different from non HB Kobe other Slammers teams?
- Is it only for girls?
- Is it just a marketing gimmick to label their top teams?

No inside information, but just from the team names and ratings alone, a bunch can be gleaned.

HB Koge is a sub-club within Slammers. Here's the URL that explains it a bit:

It sure appears girls only; no boys HB Koge teams can be found. There are teams listed that show ECNL and RL, from 2010 and older on that page. Looking at SR, some teams are being registered as HBK teams a little younger, and there are 2011 and 2012 teams as well. Looking at all of the CDA Slammers teams, their top teams are put in E64; it doesn't look like they are also carrying ECNL teams.

No information on how the training is different for HBK vs. non-HBK, both within CDA Slammers. No information on $ between the 2, though I thought I read here that the HBK Koge teams are subsidized heavily by the rest of the club, which is typical of the top teams in many clubs.

hbk1.jpghbk2.jpg

My boys play for Slammers and I still don’t understand all the different affiliates, but they have a bunch of girls’ ECNL and RL teams other than Koge, for sure.

My boys play for Slammers and I still don’t understand all the different affiliates, but they have a bunch of girls’ ECNL and RL teams other than Koge, for sure.

Here appears to be a page for all of the affiliates: https://slammersfc.org/about/licensees/

Slammers FC has additional ECNL and RL teams. CDA Slammers, which is connected to HB Koge, appears to not have any additional ECNL or RL teams. SR has them as 4 separate clubs, for what it's worth: Slammers HBK (5th in country), Slammers FC (25th), CDA Slammers (100th), and Sporting Slammers(635th). The other affiliates either don't have enough valid teams or assign their teams to different clubs.

Slammers FC has been granted two ECNL teams out of Newport: HB Koge ECNL is considered the top team in the organization - outside of maybe one Slammers FC ECNL age group. They have a partnership with professional HB Koge women’s team in Denmark. Most age groups place to nationals. The club was titled last year as the best overall youth club in the US. There is womens Slammers HB Koge ECNL and RL and there is Slammers ECNL and RL. Powerhouse teams.

I was always confused of the names of the affiliates... why not just "slammers - [city or chapter name]"?

In SoCal League, it's:

CDA Slammers - 100 teams

Slammers FC - 23 teams

Slammers FC Newport Mesa - 9 teams

South Slammers FC - 14 teams in Irvine

Sporting Slammers FC - 6 teams in Irvine

Then there's the Koge ones on the girls... So that's where my original Q came from...

Specifically to the girls program, Slammers has 4 DBAs. Each one operates as a separate entity but under 1 parent company.

Slammers HB Koge - 1 ECNL team and 1 ECRL Team out of Irvine / Newport. They’ve just now expanded to having some NPL teams but this is the typically the flagship team of Slammers. They used to have an affiliation with LAFC but to my understanding LAFC wanted Slammers to change their name to LAFC which they said no to and made and agreement with HB Koge from Sweden. Real SoCal then took over the affiliation with LAFC and is now known as LAFC.

Slammers FC is another DBA and has 1 ECNL team out of Newport and 1 ECRL team out of Huntington Beach for each age group. This typically is the second team for ECNL but has performed as the top teams under ECRL. There is no affiliation with SoCal or any other league under the Slammers FC banner. You typically won’t see this DBA affiliated with Youngers

CDA Slammers is your next tier which you’ll see in SoCal leagues. The highest offering is Elite 64 which is based out of Huntington Beach and trains side by side with the ECRL teams there. CDA also offers NPL / Discovery out of other local branches such as Diamond Bar, Cerritos, Fullerton, Whittier and etc.

Sporting Slammers is another branch out of Irvine. This group you’ll also see in SoCal but has a presence with DPL Open.

All 4 groups are still under the slammers umbrella but operate independently of each other although they all still report to the same owners.

Hopefully this makes sense.

CDA Slammers is your next tier which you’ll see in SoCal leagues. The highest offering is Elite 64 which is based out of Huntington Beach and trains side by side with the ECRL teams there.

What's confusing is one of my sons' coaches, coaches a "CDA Slammers" Socal team and a "Slammers" ECRL team. Same coach, same fields, same Directors (and the ECNL teams practice there too.). Until this conversation, I just assumed they were the same club, and I'm not entirely convinced they're not. If you compare the "Slammers FC" website to the "CDA Slammers FC" website, they both list ECNL and ECRL teams with the same coaches.

What's confusing is one of my sons' coaches, coaches a "CDA Slammers" Socal team and a "Slammers" ECRL team. Same coach, same fields, same Directors (and the ECNL teams practice there too.). Until this conversation, I just assumed they were the same club, and I'm not entirely convinced they're not. If you compare the "Slammers FC" website to the "CDA Slammers FC" website, they both list ECNL and ECRL teams with the same coaches.
It's happening because ECNL doesn't (or didn't) really allow a single club to have two ECNL teams per age group. (There are some exceptions)

To get around this Slammers implemented multiple separate ECNL clubs that happen to all share the Slammers name. They "kind of" work together as a group on certain things and they "kind of" exist as separate entities. From an ECNL perspective they're all separate clubs.

It seems like ECNL is starting to loosen up + allow clubs to have more than one ECNL team per age group. Like Sting SC with Sting Dallas Black & Sting Dallas Royal.

Because Slammers has been around for so long they probably just stick with what works + was already implemented which is why it's confusing.

Here's a Link that shows which clubs have 2 ECNL teams per age group...
Elite Clubs National League - Wikipedia

For the purposes of leagues and insurances, they are different clubs. In terms of employees (coaches/DOC’s and etc) it’s one organization.

Each DBA participates in a different end league with the Koge program being isolated so there can be co branding for their flag ship teams.

A player can move between let’s say Slammers FC and CDA Slammers FC within the club, but cannot dual roster between those 2 entities as per club policy. It was explained to me as an insurance and player / league credentialing issue that does not allow for players to play on multiple DBAs within Slammers. But that isn’t restrictive to the coaching staff who is able to do that.

Specifically to the girls program, Slammers has 4 DBAs. Each one operates as a separate entity but under 1 parent company.

Slammers HB Koge - 1 ECNL team and 1 ECRL Team out of Irvine / Newport. They’ve just now expanded to having some NPL teams but this is the typically the flagship team of Slammers. They used to have an affiliation with LAFC but to my understanding LAFC wanted Slammers to change their name to LAFC which they said no to and made and agreement with HB Koge from Sweden. Real SoCal then took over the affiliation with LAFC and is now known as LAFC.

Slammers FC is another DBA and has 1 ECNL team out of Newport and 1 ECRL team out of Huntington Beach for each age group. This typically is the second team for ECNL but has performed as the top teams under ECRL. There is no affiliation with SoCal or any other league under the Slammers FC banner. You typically won’t see this DBA affiliated with Youngers

CDA Slammers is your next tier which you’ll see in SoCal leagues. The highest offering is Elite 64 which is based out of Huntington Beach and trains side by side with the ECRL teams there. CDA also offers NPL / Discovery out of other local branches such as Diamond Bar, Cerritos, Fullerton, Whittier and etc.

Sporting Slammers is another branch out of Irvine. This group you’ll also see in SoCal but has a presence with DPL Open.

All 4 groups are still under the slammers umbrella but operate independently of each other although they all still report to the same owners.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks for breaking it down!

- Is it only for girls?

I think you're right about the 'affiliation' with a Euro side, but one thing is for sure... college coaches are enamored with their female players in SoCal.

- Is it only for girls?
Don’t worry. We will just beat you. Enjoy!

CDA Slammers does not hold any ECNL or RL teams that resides with Slammers FC. The confusing part is the HB - CDA Slammers HB is Huntington Beach.
HB Koge is the Danish club Slammers are partnered with and their Director WK used to be a general manager for before joining Kansas City Current.
Many coaches cross ‘borders’ coaching between affiliate clubs and the mother ship Slammers FC and their ECNL program. It creates the pathway for players and coaches to progress through affiliates to the ‘top level’ ECNL

I think you're right about the 'affiliation' with a Euro side, but one thing is for sure... college coaches are enamored with their female players in SoCal.
The Slammers HB Koge team name carries a lot of weight with college coaches. Almost as importantly, college coaches listen when an HB Koge coach calls about a player. For the most part, it is because these girls are some of the best in the country and their results typically show it (ECNL Club of the Year).

The Slammers team name doesn't carry as much weight. While they have some good teams, it just isn't the same. Look at the 06 age group to get an indication. HB Koge team lost to the Slammers team the last two years in their 2 ECNL league games, while HB Koge team won both Surf Cup match-ups over the same two years. Slammers made it to ECNL Finals in 2023 while HB Koge didn't make it out of group play. HB Koge made it to ECNL Finals in 2022 while Slammers lost in round of 16. On the surface, two fairly even teams, right? I think the HB Koge team has everyone committed to D1 schools except maybe 1-2 girls who have been injured, and 15+ are to Power 5 schools. Slammers has about half the team committed to D1, with only 4-5 to Power 5.

If your daughter wants to play high level college soccer and is good enough, I'd say her best opportunities on an OC team will come by being on an HB Koge team once she is in high school. Used to be Blues and will probably change again at some point.

The Slammers HB Koge team name carries a lot of weight with college coaches. Almost as importantly, college coaches listen when an HB Koge coach calls about a player. For the most part, it is because these girls are some of the best in the country and their results typically show it (ECNL Club of the Year).

The Slammers team name doesn't carry as much weight. While they have some good teams, it just isn't the same. Look at the 06 age group to get an indication. HB Koge team lost to the Slammers team the last two years in their 2 ECNL league games, while HB Koge team won both Surf Cup match-ups over the same two years. Slammers made it to ECNL Finals in 2023 while HB Koge didn't make it out of group play. HB Koge made it to ECNL Finals in 2022 while Slammers lost in round of 16. On the surface, two fairly even teams, right? I think the HB Koge team has everyone committed to D1 schools except maybe 1-2 girls who have been injured, and 15+ are to Power 5 schools. Slammers has about half the team committed to D1, with only 4-5 to Power 5.

If your daughter wants to play high level college soccer and is good enough, I'd say her best opportunities on an OC team will come by being on an HB Koge team once she is in high school. Used to be Blues and will probably change again at some point.
Is this an advertisement?

Just a couple years ago

Sounds like your kid is on the HB Koge team because you seem to know alot about the 2 teams. lol How and why did the HB Koge team lose to the Slammers FC team at all if they are so much superior. It's my understanding that Walter Camargo only took the Slammers 06 team a couple years ago, unlike the well established Koge team. The style of play is so much different also. I've seen the Slammers FC team play and they play a beautiful game of soccer with their ball movement, while Gordon and Bull play a direct style of just trying to score goals and win games. They (Santa Margarita), where Gordon and Bull coach, use the same tactic in high school, where a back line player is only allowed to touch the ball once or twice and kick it forward or they are benched. Any truth to that? My daughter has a teammate who plays on that high school team. BTW, didn't HB Koge just lose again to the Slammers FC team about a month ago?

Back