Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Making a video serves a purpose in the right circumstances, but anyone who relies on video really far behind the eight ball. What simisoccerfan said is the best advice anyone has given yet in this thread. Recruiting can be very easy and straightforward if kid plays at a solid ECNL club for a respected coach. College coaches show up in droves for good teams at showcases and will almost always pay close attention to a kid who has shown interest, at least if the club coach has recommended the player in advance and is respected enough for the college to know they don't oversell players.

Every dollar I paid for soccer was earned back 10x over when her coach sat us down to talk about her future, specifically college. We talked about her interests, grades and test scores, and the colleges we were interested in for and their educational programs. We discussed how he anticipated she would fit in with different college coaches given their respective personalities and styles of play. He knew everything, including the educational programs at every school we were interested in, and each of the college coaches personally including their personalities and style of play. We discussed the schools he thought she might have a hard time getting playing time and the extent to which that even mattered to her if, for example, soccer was just her way to leverage getting admitted to Stanford. He made calls to coaches at the schools we agreed were the best fits, every single one of them watched her team at a showcase a few weeks later and, in fact, 100 college coaches came to her team's games that weekend. Within a month she had unofficial visits to two Ivies, two Pac-12s, and the one WCC that interested us. There were no videos. There were no mass emails to college coaches. This is not how things were done at her club because it was not necessary. All it took was my daughter's hard work, excellent daily training and development, and a phone call.

It is painful seeing dads complain in the other thread that a club deserves to be in ECNL because it has a U14 team that beat a pre-ECNL team at Mustang. They have no idea what ECNL is about. It isn't about 14 year old girls winning as many soccer games as possible. Many of their daughters are 11, 12 or 13 and have the potential to leverage soccer into college opportunity that it beyond their parents' wildest dreams and the path is right there in front of them, but they will squander it. When they claim a club in Modesto should be in ECNL over one like Santa Rosa United that has not won much for a long time, they have no clue. They don't understand that any 13 year old girl with potential who plays at Santa Rosa who is committed will develop into a solid college recruit even if they lose all their games. They don't understand that this club has respected staff with a long history of developing kids who have ability, and who are respected by college coaches who will answer the phone and listen when they call based on mutual respect that has been earned over decades. They fail to understand that there has been a single family connected with that club for so long, and who have contributed to developing and putting so many girls into high level programs that it is ridiculous, so much so that a kid is 75% of the way to an offer just because one of them made a phone call. Whereas college coaches have dealt with unknown yahoo coaches trying to oversell players and waste their time their entire careers, and it is unlikely they will even listen to the voicemail when some unknown phone number pops up.

it’s the non-ECNL players (ie everyone else) that has to put in a little extra effort - what the “extra” effort is will vary depending on the situation. Agree 100% about having a high quality club coach being a driving force, yet those are words that seldom go together….

Unfortunately I’d imagine your experience is the exception as the kid who is on the bubble between D1 and D2 who plays for an ECRL team or regional equivalent is going to have to take a different path. There are mid level teams that, after going to multiple showcases this past year, probably haven’t had 100 coaches attend their games in aggregate, much less one weekend. And the games where they had 7-8 coaches watching, those are highly unlikely to be any college at the top of someone’s “list”.

Experience is quite a bit different in the silver bracket of a showcase….and let’s not even talk about the bronze division.

You never know what is going to work for your kid--some get a door opened by a club coach, but others at that same club don't. Some get a door opened by a college coach seeing a video, others don't. Some get discovered at a showcase, others don't. If you want to maximize your kid's opportunities, you need to do all:

Club play, showcases, id camps, emails, AND VIDEO.

Things are different now than 5-7 years ago. Social media and video much more influential.

I am waiting for the parent of an actual college player to say their kid got recruited because of the video they sent to the coach. I know that all 21 girls on my daughters team had either D1 or D2 offers and video did nothing for them. Also my daughters college coaches find players by actually going to see tournaments and showcase.

it’s the non-ECNL players (ie everyone else) that has to put in a little extra effort - what the “extra” effort is will vary depending on the situation. Agree 100% about having a high quality club coach being a driving force, yet those are words that seldom go together….

Unfortunately I’d imagine your experience is the exception as the kid who is on the bubble between D1 and D2 who plays for an ECRL team or regional equivalent is going to have to take a different path. There are mid level teams that, after going to multiple showcases this past year, probably haven’t had 100 coaches attend their games in aggregate, much less one weekend. And the games where they had 7-8 coaches watching, those are highly unlikely to be any college at the top of someone’s “list”.

Experience is quite a bit different in the silver bracket of a showcase….and let’s not even talk about the bronze division.
Let’s be honest here ECRL players probably are not bubble D1 players. As a parent your efforts should be to getting your kid on that team that is seen by hundreds of coaches.

Getting recruited is also not even half the battle. Most teams have 30 plus players and only routinely play 3-5 subs. That means half don’t play. Only maybe 22 travel so that’s 10 that stay home. Try tracking team rosters over 4 years. You will see many Freshmen not only not getting minutes but dropping out or transferring. Same for the later years. You need to make sure your kid is in it for the right reasons and is mentally tough enough to handle it. Also all 30 plus players were studs in club.

I am waiting for the parent of an actual college player to say their kid got recruited because of the video they sent to the coach. I know that all 21 girls on my daughters team had either D1 or D2 offers and video did nothing for them. Also my daughters college coaches find players by actually going to see tournaments and showcase.
My dd sent a video back in June 15th, 2020 and got a text back by the coach within 5 minutes. Then they set up a phone call and offer was made.

Getting recruited is also not even half the battle. Most teams have 30 plus players and only routinely play 3-5 subs. That means half don’t play. Only maybe 22 travel so that’s 10 that stay home. Try tracking team rosters over 4 years. You will see many Freshmen not only not getting minutes but dropping out or transferring. Same for the later years. You need to make sure your kid is in it for the right reasons and is mentally tough enough to handle it. Also all 30 plus players were studs in club.
100% true

If you’re talking about getting an offer based upon video alone, that happens, but primarily in D3 where they don’t have a travel budget. Even there, it’s not really video alone, because you have calls too and your grades and record have to be enough to get you into the school basically without being a priority admit for the coach. In that sense, the “offer” is really just like an invite to at least be a practice player.

If you’re talking about a coach being interested without ever getting an email from the kid expressing their interest in the program and including a highlight reel and an invite to watch them at an upcoming showcase, that happens, but really mostly for kids on strong teams that have had a well-respected coach or other neutral submit the oral/email/text equivalent of an email/highlight video already. It’s not all that common for a college coach to simply spot a kid randomly at a game and when it does happen it’s a kid everyone sees is good and the coach is hoping they can get a chance to pick them up after they fall through the cracks of the top schools. Moreover, a decent percentage of those coaches are at a game to see someone specific who has contacted them with email/video, so the other kids are just free-riding. If no one had reached out ahead of time, it would have been harder for everyone.

It’s also so much easier and common to have a video now than it was even a couple of years ago that people with advice about their kids’ experience often are woefully out-of-date. It used to be few games were recorded and editing had to be done by a professional. Now, with Veo/Trace, most kids can do a reasonable video themselves for free. It’s just not a big deal at all, which is why most people do it now.

If you’re talking about getting an offer based upon video alone, that happens, but primarily in D3 where they don’t have a travel budget. Even there, it’s not really video alone, because you have calls too and your grades and record have to be enough to get you into the school basically without being a priority admit for the coach. In that sense, the “offer” is really just like an invite to at least be a practice player.

If you’re talking about a coach being interested without ever getting an email from the kid expressing their interest in the program and including a highlight reel and an invite to watch them at an upcoming showcase, that happens, but really mostly for kids on strong teams that have had a well-respected coach or other neutral submit the oral/email/text equivalent of an email/highlight video already. It’s not all that common for a college coach to simply spot a kid randomly at a game and when it does happen it’s a kid everyone sees is good and the coach is hoping they can get a chance to pick them up after they fall through the cracks of the top schools. Moreover, a decent percentage of those coaches are at a game to see someone specific who has contacted them with email/video, so the other kids are just free-riding. If no one had reached out ahead of time, it would have been harder for everyone.

It’s also so much easier and common to have a video now than it was even a couple of years ago that people with advice about their kids’ experience often are woefully out-of-date. It used to be few games were recorded and editing had to be done by a professional. Now, with Veo/Trace, most kids can do a reasonable video themselves for free. It’s just not a big deal at all, which is why most people do it now.
Video was huge for my pals dd. March 2020 the 2022s got kicked in the gut. My dd had three visits she was putting together for her June 15th official visits. The only visit was her door opener video. The video open the door because most of the kids were on lock down.

With respect, I get the impression that your recruiting experience was 4+ years ago? Pre-covid? Just like at the workplace, things have changed. I know firsthand because I've had two kids go through recruiting 4+ years ago and now my youngest is going through it this year (2023 grad). Video helps. Videos are being made/sent a lot more frequently by players. And, videos are being watched and used more by college coaches. Is an offer going to be made based on video alone? No. But, if it's good, it can certainly persuade a coach to come watch a player live who wouldn't have been recruited otherwise. And, video is a great way to keep interested coaches updated throughout the year. But again, it's got to be good video, that really shows a player's abilities. There's a lot of unhelpful content out there, but like Dargle said, it's much easier now to put stuff together. For my olders, most of the kids making videos were hiring out those services. Not necessary now.

Direct communication and content providing from players takes power away from the control-hungry clubs. This player-empowerment is an added benefit too.

Videos give coaches insight into the player. It can encourage them to go out and watch the player. I know multiple players that the video was a HUGE part of their recruiting. Not all kids get big showcase opportunites. Videos intrigue a coach, then coach goes out to watch them play.

Coaches have asked my kid for video.

[/QUOTE]
Direct communication and content providing from players takes power away from the control-hungry clubs. This player-empowerment is an added benefit too.
[/QUOTE]

Who beat you as a child to make you this hostile and conspiratorial about people who are trying to help you? You may as well be claiming that an SAT prep course company is "power hungry" because it also wants your money in exchange for helping improve your kid's college prospects. Both are just companies that people pay to help them improve their kids' college prospects, except that soccer is more fun for parents than watching their children study. It is also more effective if your kid can play.

When you decide that you won't let your daughter play at a club that can help her, but that you're going to rely on a video instead, that is the exact opposite of player empowerment.

Video was huge for my pals dd. March 2020 the 2022s got kicked in the gut. My dd had three visits she was putting together for her June 15th official visits. The only visit was her door opener video. The video open the door because most of the kids were on lock down.

How did your reliance on video work out btw? Your daughter isn't going to college at all right? She's going to fly to Spain instead, and then fly straight back because you know better than to let her take the bat poison that is killing all your friends.

[/QUOTE]

Who beat you as a child to make you this hostile and conspiratorial about people who are trying to help you? You may as well be claiming that an SAT prep course company is "power hungry" because it also wants your money in exchange for helping improve your kid's college prospects. Both are just companies that people pay to help them improve their kids' college prospects, except that soccer is more fun for parents than watching their children study. It is also more effective if your kid can play.

When you decide that you won't let your daughter play at a club that can help her, but that you're going to rely on a video instead, that is the exact opposite of player empowerment.
[/QUOTE]
----------------------------------------------
Yawn.

Keep reading things literally and spewing nonsensical insults. You wear both well.

There's a power imbalance in club soccer. If you haven't seen clubs and leagues make decisions for their benefit at the expense of players and families, then you haven't been a part of club soccer very long. I'm feeling charitable, so I'll give you a few examples...the DA banning kids from playing HS soccer, thus taking power and control of that decision away from families. What about clubs holding tryouts in Dec/Jan and requiring $$ payment when they know the current season doesn't end till Feb/Mar (for youngers)? All 3 of my kids have taken the SAT. We didn't have to travel across the country and pay $200/nt for an "approved" Holiday Inn Express for them to sit for the test. I could go on, but my hunch is it's pointless for you.

All three of my kids have benefited from club soccer, but we all should be in favor of players and families finding ways to empower themselves in their own journeys--even something as simple as making a scouting contact without your club's help. If you're against that then you're either a club staffer or sleeping with one. Sweet dreams.

[/QUOTE]
----------------------------------------------
Yawn.

Keep reading things literally and spewing nonsensical insults. You wear both well.

There's a power imbalance in club soccer. If you haven't seen clubs and leagues make decisions for their benefit at the expense of players and families, then you haven't been a part of club soccer very long. I'm feeling charitable, so I'll give you a few examples...the DA banning kids from playing HS soccer, thus taking power and control of that decision away from families. What about clubs holding tryouts in Dec/Jan and requiring $$ payment when they know the current season doesn't end till Feb/Mar (for youngers)? All 3 of my kids have taken the SAT. We didn't have to travel across the country and pay $200/nt for an "approved" Holiday Inn Express for them to sit for the test. I could go on, but my hunch is it's pointless for you.

All three of my kids have benefited from club soccer, but we all should be in favor of players and families finding ways to empower themselves in their own journeys--even something as simple as making a scouting contact without your club's help. If you're against that then you're either a club staffer or sleeping with one. Sweet dreams.
[/QUOTE]
Boom!!!!

Last edited:
Yawn.

Buenos dias.

Wow, this is pretty stupid even for you.

First, DA went under in large part because of the HS ban, which definitively disproves your theory that there is a power imbalance in club soccer. Second, uh, ECNL has never banned HS. I seriously can't believe you are claiming that people should rely on video instead of taking advantage of the college exposure that ECNL provides because of a HS ban by a different league that went under because of the ban.

Second, ECNL does not hold tryouts in Dec/Jan. It holds tryouts for a kid whenever a kid who can play is ready to make the jump. Rather, it is only shit clubs like Ajax and Crossfire that pull that kind of crap. ECNL actually empowers parents and families by dispensing of the ridiculous notion that shit clubs like Ajax and Crossfire have that children are their own personal property.

Finally, "pay and play" tournaments and showcases are not ECNL specific, most major tournaments do this. And although you seem to have a conspiracy theory that they do this to screw families, the simple truth is that huge tournaments cost money, and it also costs money to ensure that convenient hotels reserve their entire hotels instead of just gouging everyone by jacking the prices up to $300 a night. And the only way that can happen is by requiring that teams stay at the hotel.

I seriously can't understand why you are so hostile to ECNL, other than you don't want other people to take advantage of the opportunities that ECNL provides because you're too cheap to take advantage. Given your whining about having to stay at a hotel, which is just part of the tournament cost, I suspect that's the reason. Go for it.

DA was trying to establish a playing and training system which I actually think is beneficial. More training and less games. No back to back games. Guarantee starts and limited subs guaranteeing meaningful time for the more marginal players. Consistent year round training. To do this you would need to play and train with DA during the HS season. It's HS that bans outside competition and has banned it for a very long time. So you had to choose unlike ECNL which shutdown locally for HS. DA underestimated the parent/player desire to play for the HS and all of the fans and school spirit that comes with it. So in my mind the soccer approach was superior but it missed the mark on the social aspect. ECNL seems to manage both very well.

I stand firm in my recruiting advice which is if your daughter is capable of playing ECNL and wants to play in college, make the sacrifices to get her on a team. She will get so much exposure that making a video will not be needed (though writing coaches that watched her play is still good). The good ECNL clubs also have a ton of connections with college coaches and a good word from your ECNL coach or recruiting director to a college coach is like gold.

She will get so much exposure that making a video will not be needed (though writing coaches that watched her play is still good). The good ECNL clubs also have a ton of connections with college coaches and a good word from your ECNL coach or recruiting director to a college coach is like gold.
I respectfully disagree with this part of your statement. A “highlight” reel is a valuable advertising asset to any player looking to play in college. Although coaches have a lot of connections, even they ask player for video clips to sent on the players behalf. It also helps the College coaches plan their schedules (and who on their staff they send to what games) when scouting at Showcases.

I have 1 DD committed to her school of choice and another entering the process. Video clips have been valuable assets in this process.

Guarantee starts and limited subs guaranteeing meaningful time for the more marginal players.
These two killed my competitive juice but I understand why they had that rule. It was the best of the best players and then the best of best parents with the most money. I'm not a fan at all. The sub thing the first year was horrible as well. No come back in was lame 100%. I paid for one year of no playoffs and it was lame too. I dont think they failed because of HSS. They failed because of Covid. No way they could survive for the last two years. Plus, rumor had it they were going to allow all the girls the same freedom the rich parents got with the waivers and allow choice. The whole thing was done with one end in mind.

These two killed my competitive juice but I understand why they had that rule. It was the best of the best players and then the best of best parents with the most money. I'm not a fan at all. The sub thing the first year was horrible as well. No come back in was lame 100%. I paid for one year of no playoffs and it was lame too. I dont think they failed because of HSS. They failed because of Covid. No way they could survive for the last two years. Plus, rumor had it they were going to allow all the girls the same freedom the rich parents got with the waivers and allow choice. The whole thing was done with one end in mind.
Good thing YOU weren’t the one playing.

This is something that ought to be memorized by all youth soccer parents who visualize their kid playing in college. If your kid plays significant minutes in college, you can consider it a total bonus, and one that isn't entirely under their control. Injuries, transfers, coaching changes, upperclassmen quitting to prepare for life outside of soccer... by comparison, it's a snap to get playing time as youth player in a pay to play system where every age group has hundreds of clubs and dozens of leagues to choose from. I know multiple kids who went toy college with "stud" status as club players who never got more than a handful of games before eventually graduating or dropping the sport before graduating. BTW, this doesn't mean they weren't great, or just as good as most of the kids who did play, but just that the opportunities are so limited, that's just the way it shakes out. My DD has seen plenty of club and college teammates that were equal in ability, talent, work ethic, etc., but for all sorts of factors, had completely different college playing experiences.

As for the question about video, I can say that the videos my kid sent were important in her recruitment, though certainly not THE primary tool. For example, she was an ECNL GK, and the programs that gave her offers rarely saw her do anything spectacular in person at games because frequently the games they happened to attend were lopsided affairs where she just stood around and took the occasional pass back or what action she did see wasn't particularly dramatic or highlight worthy. But the team's mere presence and standing as an upper level ECNL team helped garner the initial interest, and then they attended games, and then she sent videos that helped confirm what the coaches suspected she was capable of. The coaches who recruited her said they could tell better in person by sight that a player could play even if the particular game didn't showcase everything, but the videos are helpful to fill in any blanks.

Back