Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

I think the landscape will become clearer between July 31 and Aug 31 as we see the extent to which soccer will be played at the college level in 2020-21 (and even at the youth level). Recruiting will get much more challenging for coaches if budgets get slashed (expect that, especially if no football or if football but w/o fans). And planning all of soccer operations is a supreme challenge right now as schools are subject to campus-wide policies and, even with some privates, state-wide orders (in addition to, obviously, conference and NCAA decisions).

I've seen my kid's prospective schedule go from a full suite of games with some great pre-season travel to conference only. And while I hope they DO play and they permit some fans, my current expectation is that if they play, it will be in spring (that's not special information, just a guess)

They are committing without visiting the school or meeting the coach and team in person?
Why do you assume that? Many did their own homework and having a Coach that is a player advocate helping them and the families thru the process is definable a plus.

nothing stopped these girls from attending ID camps, following the program, researching the Coach, staff and talking to other players.
It is all possible if you put in the effort.

I think the landscape will become clearer between July 31 and Aug 31 as we see the extent to which soccer will be played at the college level in 2020-21 (and even at the youth level). Recruiting will get much more challenging for coaches if budgets get slashed (expect that, especially if no football or if football but w/o fans). And planning all of soccer operations is a supreme challenge right now as schools are subject to campus-wide policies and, even with some privates, state-wide orders (in addition to, obviously, conference and NCAA decisions).

I've seen my kid's prospective schedule go from a full suite of games with some great pre-season travel to conference only. And while I hope they DO play and they permit some fans, my current expectation is that if they play, it will be in spring (that's not special information, just a guess)
Ahhh it sucks to have the season stunted like this. Especially for incoming freshman who were so looking forward to the start. I hope they get to return normally sooner rather than later!

Yep we had your dd’s team against mine in Hawaii. Hard to get a better trip than that. My dd was also going to play in San Diego on the way. I don‘t know what if any games now to expect. Still we leave this Sunday. I am driving my dd and my other dd across the country. Going to see some National Parks on the way. She reports to camp 7/27 and she wants her car at school. My other dd and I will fly back. 7/27 it’s Covid testing and straight into quarantine for about 4 days in a single occupancy room (no leaving) till results are in. Then two weeks of working out in a Pod of 7. Then full team. No games till at least Labor Day. Things should go well till around 8/22 when they move out of the bubble into their regular living environment. Then who knows what. At least their is no beep test the first day and they can ease into fitness after the 8 day road trip and 4 days of isolation.

They are committing without visiting the school or meeting the coach and team in person?
My dd hasn’t committed yet, but last night she had a Zoom meeting with coaches, 4 recruits, and athletes at the school. She has already been to the school and knows about the school‘s academic programs. Right now, Zoom is all she has to get to know the coaches and program, but better than nothing.

Yep we had your dd’s team against mine in Hawaii. Hard to get a better trip than that. My dd was also going to play in San Diego on the way. I don‘t know what if any games now to expect. Still we leave this Sunday. I am driving my dd and my other dd across the country. Going to see some National Parks on the way. She reports to camp 7/27 and she wants her car at school. My other dd and I will fly back. 7/27 it’s Covid testing and straight into quarantine for about 4 days in a single occupancy room (no leaving) till results are in. Then two weeks of working out in a Pod of 7. Then full team. No games till at least Labor Day. Things should go well till around 8/22 when they move out of the bubble into their regular living environment. Then who knows what. At least their is no beep test the first day and they can ease into fitness after the 8 day road trip and 4 days of isolation.
Nice trip, Simi! Where is your daughter going to school?

Dropped my daughter off last week and while we were there it went from full slate to conference only. Had physical and cleared to train and has been training for a few days. She has already had Covid so she doesn't really have to worry about catching it again it least for a little while. Who knows if it will change again before mid September.

Question- If you redshirt your first year and is on scholarship, does the school pay for only 4 years? Do you have to come out of your pocket for that 5th year? Justing trying to understand the options here.

Dropped my daughter off last week and while we were there it went from full slate to conference only. Had physical and cleared to train and has been training for a few days. She has already had Covid so she doesn't really have to worry about catching it again it least for a little while. Who knows if it will change again before mid September.
Nice! Beachbum! Where is your daughter going to school?

It depends on the school and the situation including budget, incoming players, etc. They can and sometimes do cover the 5th year. Sometimes not.

The school is expected to satisfy NCAA graduation rate requirements, so it is in their interest to help the student-athletes succeed academically. They can give more than 5 years of full or partial athletic scholarship if there is a redshirt year to begin and an injury redshirt year later. The school can also help athletes who have completed their eligibility but not yet graduated by giving them part-time on-campus jobs such as assistant coaches, alumni relations staff, etc.

James Madison in Virginia. Her head coach is the former assistant at UCLA.

Former Associate Head Coach and Recruiting Coordinator. He has worked with AC at UCLA for 4 years and recruited almost every player on the roster and was with her previous to that at Central Florida. The guy is as honest as they come and is definitely a players coach.

Continued good fortune for you and your player!

The school is expected to satisfy NCAA graduation rate requirements, so it is in their interest to help the student-athletes succeed academically. They can give more than 5 years of full or partial athletic scholarship if there is a redshirt year to begin and an injury redshirt year later. The school can also help athletes who have completed their eligibility but not yet graduated by giving them part-time on-campus jobs such as assistant coaches, alumni relations staff, etc.

Also if there's no college soccer this year, it will have a ripple affect. At least 50% less for 2022 and 2023 in scholarships.

Back