ODP in California

Can someone explain how ODP works in so cal. I see cal south made an ODP team but you can only play in cal south to make the team. For girls what clubs are even left in cal south? I’m super confused.

ODP is a program run at the national level by USYSA. The USYSA franchisee in southern California is Cal South. Other affiliation programs exist, such as US Club Soccer, AYSO, and USL Super-Y. Players not registered through a subsidiary of USYSA may not be invited to try out (politics, insurance, money, etc).

ODP is a program run at the national level by USYSA. The USYSA franchisee in southern California is Cal South. Other affiliation programs exist, such as US Club Soccer, AYSO, and USL Super-Y. Players not registered through a subsidiary of USYSA may not be invited to try out (politics, insurance, money, etc).

Hence, C-Teams at best.

Hence, C-Teams at best.
Mary Flores did odp last year.. she plays for slammers hb koge national champs.. Ecnl player of the year and plays for the Mexican National u-17 team and just verbal commitment to Stanford.. so your statement is incorrect

Just wondering...Would Mary Flores be considered a "C-Team" player in your eyes? If kids are coming from National Championship teams, why a C-Team?

"met61" patrols this topic like a hawk...I'm sure you will get all the answers real soon!

For the record, the 2001 and 2002 girls who played for Cal South ODP ended up playing in such "joke" colleges as Notre Dame, Florida, USC, UCLA (2), West Point, Cal Poly (2), Santa Barbara, Irvine (2), SDSU (2), Pomona Pitzer (2), Syracuse, Howard, MIT, among others. Virtually all of the girls from those teams play in college. The only thing that's a joke is met61, and I'm pretty sure his kid got cut from ODP and he never recovered.

I see parents like him all the time. They have such inferiority complexes that they call everything a joke when they fail instead of accepting reality and using failure to motivate them. Worse, they're often so chicken shit they deprive their children of opportunities because they're too afraid their child will fail, and that their kid will share their own lack of intestinal fortitude when they do. So, instead, they make up excuses in advance to rationalize why they don't want their kid to even try. Met61 labels things a "joke", while crush uses "corrupt", as his excuse for his child. In the end, met61 calls ODP a joke because that is his excuse to rationalize his child's failure. People like met61 think they're doing their kids a favor when they say something is a joke every time their kid fails, but what do you think kids really learn when they aren't good enough to make a team that daddy says is a "joke"? Can you imagine being a kid growing up in such an environment?

For the record, the 2001 and 2002 girls who played for Cal South ODP ended up playing in such "joke" colleges as Notre Dame, Florida, USC, UCLA (2), West Point, Cal Poly (2), Santa Barbara, Irvine (2), SDSU (2), Pomona Pitzer (2), Syracuse, Howard, MIT, among others. Virtually all of the girls from those teams play in college. The only thing that's a joke is met61, and I'm pretty sure his kid got cut from ODP and he never recovered.

I see parents like him all the time. They have such inferiority complexes that they call everything a joke when they fail instead of accepting reality and using failure to motivate them. Worse, they're often so chicken shit they deprive their children of opportunities because they're too afraid their child will fail, and that their kid will share their own lack of intestinal fortitude when they do. So, instead, they make up excuses in advance to rationalize why they don't want their kid to even try. Met61 labels things a "joke", while crush uses "corrupt", as his excuse for his child. In the end, met61 calls ODP a joke because that is his excuse to rationalize his child's failure. People like met61 think they're doing their kids a favor when they say something is a joke every time their kid fails, but what do you think kids really learn when they aren't good enough to make a team that daddy says is a "joke"? Can you imagine being a kid growing up in such an environment?

I agree with a lot of this, but I think it might be a little harsh. OTOH, I have had met61 on my ignore list for a long time so you could be entirely justified -- I just wouldn't know.

To each their own!!! To me there is no such thing as a waste of time for a kid to gain experience in playing in different atmosphere and different levels of comp. Outside of club play ODP for us has been a great experience... We are very "hands off" in the aspects of networking/playing politics with our kids and their soccer goals. We set the expectation for them to play their game and play 100%. There are going to be coaches that like your style of play and some that don't, but effort can never hide. This was our 1st year doing ODP and our 2 oldest girls were able to do something the coaches liked as they both got named to the "National" teams in their age groups. In this they may not make Team USA, but they were in front of a lot of quality schools at the camps. They both had strong D1 programs reach out to their ODP coaches and invite them to their ID camps since they are too young to be contacted directly. So for me I say that is a success and an opp they wouldn't have had if we didn't go!

I agree with a lot of this, but I think it might be a little harsh. OTOH, I have had met61 on my ignore list for a long time so you could be entirely justified -- I just wouldn't know.

It is only harsh if you think that failing at something is bad. It is strange that people think kiddie soccer is so important that they're offended whenever someone suggests that maybe their kid may not be as good at it as they want them to be, whether it's ODP reps, or US Soccer picking YNT players, or club coaches deciding on playing time, or DOCs engaging in nefarious behavior that crush claims exists but can never quite put his finger on. They're perfectly fine making constant excuses that trash everyone around them instead of accepting the truth, yet they get offended when someone trashes them right back for their marginally brain addled conspiracy theories.

There is no shame in not making an ODP team. There is no shame in not making the YNT. There is no shame in not getting recruited by colleges. There is no shame in being a terrible soccer player. The mere fact that some people here define themselves by how good their child is at soccer is nuts. Kiddie soccer should be fun, yet people like met61 and crush can't do anything but complain how everything is so terrible whether it's ODP, or HS, or ECNL, or Surf, or college or whatever it is that isn't going as they had hoped. Instead of accepting what each of these things are for what they are, it's always some conspiracy of "elites" to ruin their lives. In fact, have you ever noticed that the bitter kiddie soccer conspiracy theorists who are constantly blaming "elites" for ruining their kids' lives also happen to be the same folks spouting conspiracy theories about "elites" conspiring about everything, including kiddie soccer, mask mandates, vaccines, and civil rights? I mean, met61 recently claimed that people pointing out Joe Rogan repeatedly dropping the N bomb - which even the douche himself admits was wrong and for which he apologized - constitutes elitists playing the "race card". People like met61 and crush are all about failing to take responsibility for anything. It's always a conspiracy of "elites" who are out to get them.

It is only harsh if you think that failing at something is bad. It is strange that people think kiddie soccer is so important that they're offended whenever someone suggests that maybe their kid may not be as good at it as they want them to be, whether it's ODP reps, or US Soccer picking YNT players, or club coaches deciding on playing time, or DOCs engaging in nefarious behavior that crush claims exists but can never quite put his finger on. They're perfectly fine making constant excuses that trash everyone around them instead of accepting the truth, yet they get offended when someone trashes them right back for their marginally brain addled conspiracy theories.

There is no shame in not making an ODP team. There is no shame in not making the YNT. There is no shame in not getting recruited by colleges. There is no shame in being a terrible soccer player. The mere fact that some people here define themselves by how good their child is at soccer is nuts. Kiddie soccer should be fun, yet people like met61 and crush can't do anything but complain how everything is so terrible whether it's ODP, or HS, or ECNL, or Surf, or college or whatever it is that isn't going as they had hoped. Instead of accepting what each of these things are for what they are, it's always some conspiracy of "elites" to ruin their lives. In fact, have you ever noticed that the bitter kiddie soccer conspiracy theorists who are constantly blaming "elites" for ruining their kids' lives also happen to be the same folks spouting conspiracy theories about "elites" conspiring about everything, including kiddie soccer, mask mandates, vaccines, and civil rights? I mean, met61 recently claimed that people pointing out Joe Rogan repeatedly dropping the N bomb - which even the douche himself admits was wrong and for which he apologized - constitutes elitists playing the "race card". People like met61 and crush are all about failing to take responsibility for anything. It's always a conspiracy of "elites" who are out to get them.
...imagine an adult life spent writing hundreds of words of psychotic ramblings on a kid's soccer forum - living rent free in someone's empty head.

Imagine an adult who harbors such anger and bitterness about his child not getting selected for a kiddie all star team that he rants about it here five years after the fact. Am I right?
That's it? weak sauce...at least you scored a couple reach-a-rounds from the other drama queens. Checkmate!

What chaperones?
I know the older age groups 06 and above traveled in 2 vans per team and there were no chaperones. Can’t speak for the youngers, though, since I wouldn’t know.
We were told of the hotel and its location and advised not to stay there or visit our children as they were there for business. In fact, 4 girls didn’t play because they did not turn their phones in at curfew.
LOL "they were there for business." Riiiight, because we all know developing future Olympians is serious "business" *wink wink*

Seriously dude, I'm embarrassed for you. Might want to delete and start over. Hope this helps, be well.

LOL "they were there for business." Riiiight, because we all know developing future Olympians is serious "business" *wink wink*

Seriously dude, I'm embarrassed for you. Might want to delete and start over. Hope this helps, be well.
Bro..you're drinking the same HATERADE juice as met61...It's obvious you guys are part of the SNUB CLUB...It's okay your kid was never invited to the party..I'm sure your kid has gotten over it, why can't you Big Papa? NAMASTE....

Yessir, in the "business" of winning of almost all of the age groups they were entered in.

Bro..you're drinking the same HATERADE juice as met61...It's obvious you guys are part of the SNUB CLUB...It's okay your kid was never invited to the party..I'm sure your kid has gotten over it, why can't you Big Papa? NAMASTE....

Yessir, in the "business" of winning of almost all of the age groups they were entered in.
I talked with the Founder bro on why was ODP put together in the first place. The Original Founder was in charge of finding the first U15 YNT, way way back in the day. How does one pick 18 girls across the country? He and others thought it would be good to do ODP and then pick IV Regions of top players and then pick the YNT from those four teams after they battle in big time games. Politics took over quickly and he was gone. It's not like it was and for sure politics of who you know, how you know them and what your willing to pay, is the norm. It's not about how good your kid can ball anymore. I still think it's a great accomplishment for any kid who makes it. The adults have messed this whole list thing up. The adults who lie are the real losers in all this.

That's it? weak sauce...at least you scored a couple reach-a-rounds from the other drama queens. Checkmate!

Of course you revert to homophobic comments. "Checkmate" is knowing that every day your desperation grows as your kid continues to slip further behind his peers. While other parents enjoy their kids' games, you're hiding your anxiety with fake bravado about how ODP sucks, the refs suck, the coach sucks, and other kids are over-rated. Every game you hope maybe today will be the day your kid shows what has been lacking, but it never happens because they just aren't as good as you want them to be and they probably never were. Instead of not giving a s**t because soccer is a game played by children, you get in the car after games angry and frustrated, and your kid knows it even on those rare car rides that you keep your mouth shut about how it didn't go well. Kiddie soccer is important to you, and it is all slipping slowly away. I've seen a hundred dads like you, and you're all the same. Get used to disappointment, because I'm guessing you are raising your kid to provide you with a lifetime of it, which you will blame on everyone but yourself.

Can someone explain how ODP works in so cal. I see cal south made an ODP team but you can only play in cal south to make the team. For girls what clubs are even left in cal south? I’m super confused.
80% of the 05 girls were ECNL players. 90% of the players were from US Soccer. You must be registered for USYS for ODP, thus every player that was invited paid an additional $20 to get a USYS card if they already didn't have one, most didn't. This allowed them to tryout. Invite only. 18 girls chosen to travel to Arizona.

My point is the whole pathway was just cutoff as you have to be on a Cal South league last season. All the top clubs moved to SoCal this last season. If that is truly the pathway to the Olympic team your not getting the best girls in it that's for sure. ODP should be for the very best players regardless of what league your play in. You could be off the street and make the team if your good enough. Seems super stupid to me to do it the way its being done right now because I thought the goal was have the best players make the Olympic team? I guess the Eagles can market themselves as an ODP club because if you are a girl and make their team you will be on the ODP team as well. Sorry I just don't get it.

From their website - "The requirements to recommend a player is that the club is currently playing in CSL and registered with Cal South."

My point is the whole pathway was just cutoff as you have to be on a Cal South league last season. All the top clubs moved to SoCal this last season. If that is truly the pathway to the Olympic team your not getting the best girls in it that's for sure. ODP should be for the very best players regardless of what league your play in. You could be off the street and make the team if your good enough. Seems super stupid to me to do it the way its being done right now because I thought the goal was have the best players make the Olympic team? I guess the Eagles can market themselves as an ODP club because if you are a girl and make their team you will be on the ODP team as well. Sorry I just don't get it.

From their website - "The requirements to recommend a player is that the club is currently playing in CSL and registered with Cal South."

FFS. A lot of things have changed with youth soccer in the US since ODP was created for boys in 1979 and girls in 1982 as a way to identify the best youth players for the new concept of creating youth national teams. When the program was created, the name made more sense. They kept the same name for the same reason that 20th Century Fox makes movies in the 21st century and although Coca-Cola hasn't had cocaine in it for a few years.

Grow up. No one believes ODP in 2022 is a pathway to playing in the Olympics just as no one goes to MTV to watch music videos. You're making up fake reasons to be annoyed. But if you insist, why don't you go down to your local AT&T store where you can surely send an angry telegraph to U.S. Soccer demanding they change the name.

Back