ODP in California

FFS. A lot of things have changed with youth soccer in the US since ODP was created for boys in 1979 and girls in 1982 as a way to identify the best youth players for the new concept of creating youth national teams. When the program was created, the name made more sense. They kept the same name for the same reason that 20th Century Fox makes movies in the 21st century and although Coca-Cola hasn't had cocaine in it for a few years.

Grow up. No one believes ODP in 2022 is a pathway to playing in the Olympics just as no one goes to MTV to watch music videos. You're making up fake reasons to be annoyed. But if you insist, why don't you go down to your local AT&T store where you can surely send an angry telegraph to U.S. Soccer demanding they change the name.
ok will do, dont really understand why your so hostile but ok.

Bro..you're drinking the same HATERADE juice as met61...It's obvious you guys are part of the SNUB CLUB...It's okay your kid was never invited to the party..I'm sure your kid has gotten over it, why can't you Big Papa? NAMASTE....

Yessir, in the "business" of winning of almost all of the age groups they were entered in.
LOL! There it is, bragging rights! Unfortunately, you're late to the game, it's no longer worth bragging about. But hey, You're Still Da Man in your own mind - Well done!

Of course you revert to homophobic comments. "Checkmate" is knowing that every day your desperation grows as your kid continues to slip further behind his peers. While other parents enjoy their kids' games, you're hiding your anxiety with fake bravado about how ODP sucks, the refs suck, the coach sucks, and other kids are over-rated. Every game you hope maybe today will be the day your kid shows what has been lacking, but it never happens because they just aren't as good as you want them to be and they probably never were. Instead of not giving a s**t because soccer is a game played by children, you get in the car after games angry and frustrated, and your kid knows it even on those rare car rides that you keep your mouth shut about how it didn't go well. Kiddie soccer is important to you, and it is all slipping slowly away. I've seen a hundred dads like you, and you're all the same. Get used to disappointment, because I'm guessing you are raising your kid to provide you with a lifetime of it, which you will blame on everyone but yourself.
As is always the case with your reams of senseless drivel, I have lost track...have you dropped the race card yet? If not, I'm sure it's on its way from you or your cheer squad.

Many leagues or programs out there have a misleading name, but most have some elements of truth to them

ODP doesn't mean you are considered an Olympic prospect, but they do have US Soccer scouts at their tournaments

MLS Next doesn't mean you are going to make it in MLS, but they do have MLS scouts at their events

ECNL doesn't mean your club or child is elite, but it is exclusive in the sense that not everyone can join

Girls Academy League doesn't have any Pro club affiliations as the name "academy" might suggest, but it is definitely for girls

Discovery division of the SoCal League doesn't mean anyone is watching the games to discover players, but it is the highest division in the SoCal League

Premier division in Coast Soccer League doesn't mean the clubs, games, or players are premier, but it is the highest division in CSL

National or State Cup is neither a national nor a state-level competition, although National is a higher-level competition than State

There are some league or program names that are even less true than those above:

ECRL (or ECNL-R) is not for elite clubs or teams in a particular region. It's the teams (or clubs in some cases) that didn't get admitted to ECNL. It is exclusive in the sense that not everyone can join

Elite Academy League is not for elite academies, but in most cases it is for the second team in a MLS Next club or for a club that didn't get admitted to MLS Next or ECNL. It is exclusive in the sense that not everyone can join.

As is always the case with your reams of senseless drivel, I have lost track...have you dropped the race card yet? If not, I'm sure it's on its way from you or your cheer squad.

You already tried to change the subject with your homophobia, but this thread is about ODP. Let me get it back on track...

It's been, what, five years since your kiddie got cut from ODP, right? I don't know what's more embarrassing, getting cut from what you say is a "joke" or being bitter about it after so many years.

Hey @met61, here you are in 2018 trashing an ODP roster of 12 year old girls as pathetic. Was this the team your kiddie wasn't good enough to make? Is this what you will always blame for your kid's decline?

The bigger question is what the hell is wrong with a grown man who is confident that he's invested enough time watching little girls play soccer that he knows the best 11 and 12 year old girls in a region with 25 million people? Beyond creepy.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 55
OMG @met61, it gets even better. Here you are claiming that the ODP roster doesn't have the best players because "all the legit ballers" play DA. Can you remind me again what "DA" is? Isn't it the league that collapsed years ago because it didn't have any of the "legit ballers"?

Oh, and what kind of grown man refers to 12 year old girls as "legit ballers" anyway?

Attachments

• legit.jpg
    legit.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 38
OMG @met61, it gets even better. Here you are claiming that the ODP roster doesn't have the best players because "all the legit ballers" play DA. Can you remind me again what "DA" is? Isn't it the league that collapsed years ago because it didn't have any of the "legit ballers"?

Oh, and what kind of grown man refers to 12 year old girls as "legit ballers" anyway?
WOW...met61 has been exposed!!! Hasn't your child aged out already? lol Time for you to get on an "Empty Nest" forum..lol

I talked with the Founder bro on why was ODP put together in the first place. The Original Founder was in charge of finding the first U15 YNT, way way back in the day. How does one pick 18 girls across the country? He and others thought it would be good to do ODP and then pick IV Regions of top players and then pick the YNT from those four teams after they battle in big time games. Politics took over quickly and he was gone. It's not like it was and for sure politics of who you know, how you know them and what your willing to pay, is the norm. It's not about how good your kid can ball anymore. I still think it's a great accomplishment for any kid who makes it. The adults have messed this whole list thing up. The adults who lie are the real losers in all this.

Yep, this is exactly how it worked when I played years ago, make state team, go to regional camp, 4 regions go to national camp

i also think you were seeing , especially on boys side players who were never involved in the YNTs getting noticed late teens/early 20, clearly the ODP program was not capturing the talent “early “ on

I do know for a fact that Steve Sampson was scouting for YNT in the late 90s in California ( I believe it was his job after he got fired as men”s coach).

I assume scouts now are spending a lot of their time trying to get dual nationals in the program early

Fact Check: True

DA levels above any ODP roster.

Yep, this is exactly how it worked when I played years ago, make state team, go to regional camp, 4 regions go to national camp
Still worked that way this past year. The difficult part is getting picked for the state team. I noticed a lot of returning players from a couple years ago were invited back. This left a small amount of players that were scouted and added to the list. Other states have open tryouts, a couple cut downs, then a state team.

In one of the age groups, there were 0 ECNL players from San Diego Surf, HB Koge, Beach, Blues, etc…the top clubs and players. They weren’t on the original ODP list for tryouts. My guess is that those clubs don’t view ODP as valuable otherwise they would be recommending all of the top players right and left. At least in the age groups I am familiar with, these weren’t the top players. So, in response, it makes sense they wouldn’t be selected for the final ODP team (still a little surprising, but not a total shock).
There were players from top ECNL teams from those clubs you mentioned in some age groups. It’s an imperfect system just like the USYS National/regional team pools and the USYF team. Sorry, but it’s true! You have players in the USYS National pools that should have been dropped but they were picked up at U13/14, and no one ever bothered to scratch them off the list. Meanwhile other players have got better and still can’t get on the list.

Imo, there were just not hardly any CA girls who went down to FL for the Interregional in Nov. We moved from CA to the midwest and the only thing outside of club team is ODP. CA has a leg up to have PDP, and feel especially in NorCal a larger support by the clubs for it. I do know a few from our old club had got invites to go to the interregional, but chose not to go. So if they miss that they dont get to NTC.
I think another factor is Hs season varies from state to state. For CalSouth it overlaps, and although you can do both, it is not that easy and many were injured this year. I know in some age groups they had to go beyond the alternatives, due to Covid tests positive and last minute injuries. At that point, it’s too late for them to repool a group.

lol......that is indeed the question :)......maybes the ODP teams should play Surf or another ECNL team with no picks and see how the score goes........
Part of the issue is parents discrediting it without real experience, or because their feelings are hurt because their kid wasn’t pooled or picked. It’s an imperfect system, however that doesn’t change the fact that it stimulates player development and red presents a handful of top players. When parents put it down, it just discourages participation and then it becomes what you say it is. BTw, my player plays top ECnL and told me she felt she walked away as a much better player for several reasons. Yes, we lost some good players to Covid and injury, but she still felt the level and growth was valuable.

Imo, there were just not hardly any CA girls who went down to FL for the Interregional in Nov. We moved from CA to the midwest and the only thing outside of club team is ODP. CA has a leg up to have PDP, and feel especially in NorCal a larger support by the clubs for it. I do know a few from our old club had got invites to go to the interregional, but chose not to go. So if they miss that they dont get to NTC.
The players were selected during the summer ODP camp, which most EcNL players could not participate at bc they were at EcNL FL and Va tournaments last summer.

here's the problem.

the parent who chaperones kids first on that bus and first out on the field when the game starts regardless of skill.

the politics just dont stop during the selection process. when you have kids coming off the bench who have led their leagues for multiple years in scoring for players who had their last hattrick on a u6 ayso team is just wrong. Until the program gets fixed and the best actually get selected with ZERO parent involvement, ODP in California will be a JOKE.
the “best” are scattered. They are not on Surf A team, that’s just more politics, parents and pay for play.

Back