NWSL Scandal - Impact on youth soccer?

No we don't. There is a league for everyone. If you cannot afford it, seek a scholarship, or choose to play in a local league.
Let me change that. "We should and can share soccer" but if you want to hog it all, then go right ahead. Just remember we asked to share and you said no unless we beg for scholarship or play in local league. Thanks for nothing bro. I tried. It's on you now....

As soon as you say "there is a league for everyone", you're splitting the talent pool. Some top kids go here, some go there. Both leagues end up diffuse and weak.

This works fine for those who want to be the big fish in a small pond.

For those who simply want decent competition, all those league divisions just get in the way.

The vast majority of top players play ECNL. It is a great league. There are options (in and out of ECNL) for those who cannot afford it.

If one wants to stay in a 5 star hotel but cannot afford it, then they choose a 3 star. That is life.

People whine about pay for play. Who do they think is going to pay for it?

There is a reality in life. We cannot all afford everything we want. But, fortunately, ECNL clubs will work with families who demonstrate need.

The vast majority of top players play ECNL. It is a great league. There are options (in and out of ECNL) for those who cannot afford it.

If one wants to stay in a 5 star hotel but cannot afford it, then they choose a 3 star. That is life.

There is a reality in life. We cannot all afford everything we want. But, fortunately, ECNL clubs will work with families who demonstrate need.
I truly understand better today then yesterday why the divide soccer and this country. The fact is, most cannot afford the league let alone the 3 star roach motel. You can have all the soccer you can buy. Enjoy it with Jones and Smiths :)

The complaint is not that people want to travel and can’t afford it.

The complaint is that ECNL is damaging the local competitive landscape by serving half, but only half, of the top players. State Cup gets weak right about the age ECNL takes off.

Put another way, when you built your 5 star hotel, you dumped your construction debris on the motel 6.

I think ECNL serves way more than half of the top players (at the high school ages anyway). And, ECNL should not have to be held back to serve everyone. It is a national league designed to serve a national player base.

This is not about hotel accommodations. This is about youth soccer - kids playing soccer. You're really sold on the steel sharpens steel idea sold by large clubs. How do you think players like Hailie Mace and many other girls from small clubs that end up at ECNL in sophomore, junior and senior to become starters develop? A great coach, love for the game, hard work, physical development and intelligence in reading the game. I've seen plenty of potential greats quit or not develop because it became too much of a job at such a young age of 10, 11, 12, 13. By the time they hit 14-15, they just don't love the game because steel versus steel cuts other things like love for the game, time with family and friends. The best of the best is not produced, it's reduced.

This is not about hotel accommodations. This is about youth soccer - kids playing soccer. You're really sold on the steel sharpens steel idea sold by large clubs. How do you think players like Hailie Mace and many other girls from small clubs that end up at ECNL in sophomore, junior and senior to become starters develop? A great coach, love for the game, hard work, physical development and intelligence in reading the game. I've seen plenty of potential greats quit or not develop because it became too much of a job at such a young age of 10, 11, 12, 13. By the time they hit 14-15, they just don't love the game because steel versus steel cuts other things like love for the game, time with family and friends. The best of the best is not produced, it's reduced.
I am not sure what your point is. Hotels were a simple example.

All I have said is that ECNL is a great league. If you don't want to play in it, if you don't want to travel, there are other options. Don't force ECNL to be what you want. Play HS soccer, play So Cal League, play GA, play ECNL. You have a choice. ECNL offers one option. I happen to think it is the best league for my kids growth.

Excellent!!!

I am not sure what your point is. Hotels were a simple example.

All I have said is that ECNL is a great league. If you don't want to play in it, if you don't want to travel, there are other options. Don't force ECNL to be what you want. Play HS soccer, play So Cal League, play GA, play ECNL. You have a choice. ECNL offers one option. I happen to think it is the best league for my kids growth.
We were discussing the idea of creating a system where kids can continue with club soccer but how to change the emphasis on recruiting based on high school soccer in order to give girls/kids more access to college recruitment in order to reduce the cost of soccer for potential college soccer players. Your argument for not doing so came back around to steel v steel argument and then you threw in what people can afford. Do you really believe the best thing for the soccer talent and athletic kids is to limit recruiting kids for college soccer to people who can only afford 5 star hotels or sacrifice everything else in their lives to stay in 5 star hotels?

I like the ID camp idea. It could bring together top players from local HS teams or solid non-ECNL clubs.

I do have doubts whether Stanford and UNC want to show up just because I think my kid is worth driving to the ID camp.

Who gets the fun job of telling me that Susie won't be at the part of the ID camp with the D1 coaches?
I think attending coaches get to invite players they want to see. The college coaches make the decisions, not club coaches or hs coaches. Coaches watch the hs games via online access and they decide which players they want to invite to the camps.

Some of you guys make it sound like high school football is some recruitment shangrila. The fact is that only certain high schools in certain divisions get looks. Parents who want to get these looks have to move em or commute (often with some residency shenanigans) to the chosen public schools or get them a scholarship to one of the football emphasizing private schools. Check out the shenanigans involved this year for example with mater dei, Inglewood or simi. What we experience in club soccer pales in comparison to some of bs going on in the high school football scene.

also all positions aren’t created equal. Qb is a very skills oriented position and you can’t be playing behind someone if you are looking for high level looks (that means moving schools if you are in someone’s shadow). Similar for receivers and running backs. Less true of linesmen who get looks more for their physical forms.

We were discussing the idea of creating a system where kids can continue with club soccer but how to change the emphasis on recruiting based on high school soccer in order to give girls/kids more access to college recruitment in order to reduce the cost of soccer for potential college soccer players. Your argument for not doing so came back around to steel v steel argument and then you threw in what people can afford. Do you really believe the best thing for the soccer talent and athletic kids is to limit recruiting kids for college soccer to people who can only afford 5 star hotels or sacrifice everything else in their lives to stay in 5 star hotels?
No I don't, and that was not what I said. What I said is that ECNL clubs offer scholarships so it is available to players in need. There are opportunities for everyone if they choose to seek the right fit out for them. Others chimed in that those players' parents want to be able to travel, too. Too bad. You can't afford everything you want in life. Parents can stay home.

Your idea of creating HS soccer as the primary recruiting pool is ridiculous. The talent is too spread out so the development would not be there.

No I don't, and that was not what I said. What I said is that ECNL clubs offer scholarships so it is available to players in need. There are opportunities for everyone if they choose to seek the right fit out for them. Others chimed in that those players' parents want to be able to travel, too. Too bad. You can't afford everything you want in life. Parents can stay home.

Your idea of creating HS soccer as the primary recruiting pool is ridiculous. The talent is too spread out so the development would not be there.
It would aggregate…quickly as a handful of coaches poach squads in exchange for looks…same as softball, cheer, water polo, swimming and running. I just don’t think most parents around here would be happy: a) moving houses (particularly if little Becky doesn’t make the first squad), b) commuting to school an hour plus in SoCal traffic or c) shelling out private school tuition for which girl scholarships would be limited (the privates treat football as financial aid cases and it doesn’t always covered full freight).

I once interviewed a minority football candidate at a private school. Great kid. For obvious reasons we didn’t get into the size of his scholarship but he stayed with classmates over the week so as to avoid the to and from commute from southern Los Angeles which he wouldn’t have been able to manage on top of his job and football.

What I said is that ECNL clubs offer scholarships so it is available to players in need. There are opportunities for everyone if they choose to seek the right fit out for them.

In 5 years you will see significant changes to ECNL.

MLS is beginning to take over their own youth development and now a league that competes with USL.
On the women’s side, you will see the new pro league begin to look for ties to the youth clubs in their area.
Girls are picking up sports like volleyball or track Volleyball is growing at a faster rate than soccer in California.

Finally, the amount of kids playing sports will be shrinking significantly because of families leaving the state and couples having fewer kids. My wife is a 1st grade teacher and they are beginning to consolidate schools in her area. We are talking of many schools closing due to lack of kids.

In 5 years you will see significant changes to ECNL.

MLS is beginning to take over their own youth development and now a league that competes with USL.
On the women’s side, you will see the new pro league begin to look for ties to the youth clubs in their area.
Girls are picking up sports like volleyball or track Volleyball is growing at a faster rate than soccer in California.

Finally, the amount of kids playing sports will be shrinking significantly because of families leaving the state and couples having fewer kids. My wife is a 1st grade teacher and they are beginning to consolidate schools in her area. We are talking of many schools closing due to lack of kids.
ECNL isn’t going anywhere any time soon. Neither is youth soccer in general.

Also Lacrosse is growing faster than volleyball primarily because you don’t need to be tall to throw a ball with a stick. Also Lacrosse scholarships get you into nice private schools. Volleyball scholarships get you into Iowa State. (Nothing against Iowa State)

ECNL isn’t going anywhere any time soon. Neither is youth soccer in general.

Also Lacrosse is growing faster than volleyball primarily because you don’t need to be tall to throw a ball with a stick. Also Lacrosse scholarships get you into nice private schools. Volleyball scholarships get you into Iowa State. (Nothing against Iowa State)
ECNL isn’t going anywhere. But parents in ECNL can ask their coaches and TM to schedule games or scrimmages against the similarly ranked teams in their area.

Saying “we’re too amazing to play you” is a fair point if you just beat Solar and Real Co last week. But, if you are ranked 227, get off your high horse. You’re a local power with a fancy patch.

ECNL isn’t going anywhere. But parents in ECNL can ask their coaches and TM to schedule games or scrimmages against the similarly ranked teams in their area.

Saying “we’re too amazing to play you” is a fair point if you just beat Solar and Real Co last week. But, if you are ranked 227, get off your high horse. You’re a local power with a fancy patch.

I am not saying it's going to go away (ECNL). My point is that you are already seeing pressure on the boys side with ECNL. If I have a son that is a great player, I am not going the ECNL route, I would do the MLS Next or find a way to get to Europe. ECNL will be less relevant with boys.

On the women's side, Europe is going to surpass the USA in terms of talent and funding at the club level. They will attract some of the best and young talented players. In a diluting market, you will need to change and I would say merge ECNL and GAL.

Here's a stat to consider:
  • Only 38% of kids ages 6 to 12 played team sports on a regular basis in 2018, down from 45% in 2008, per the Sports & Fitness Industry Association.

I am not saying it's going to go away (ECNL). My point is that you are already seeing pressure on the boys side with ECNL. If I have a son that is a great player, I am not going the ECNL route, I would do the MLS Next or find a way to get to Europe. ECNL will be less relevant with boys.

On the women's side, Europe is going to surpass the USA in terms of talent and funding at the club level. They will attract some of the best and young talented players. In a diluting market, you will need to change and I would say merge ECNL and GAL.

Here's a stat to consider:
  • Only 38% of kids ages 6 to 12 played team sports on a regular basis in 2018, down from 45% in 2008, per the Sports & Fitness Industry Association.

Why would you go MLS Next over ECNL for boys?

From what I understand about MLS Next is a funnel for professional teams not college. Pro Soccer pays 40k-80k on average.

If Boys/Mens college recruiters are going to ECNL events getting a scholarship seems like a better deal than professional soccer. Also you can play pro after college.

Why would you go MLS Next over ECNL for boys?

From what I understand about MLS Next is a funnel for professional teams not college. Pro Soccer pays 40k-80k on average.

If Boys/Mens college recruiters are going to ECNL events getting a scholarship seems like a better deal than professional soccer. Also you can play pro after college.
Because MLS Next is the best league. DA was better than ECNL as well. You think the college coaches don't scout the best players? Not everyone will or wants to jump to the Pros right off the bat. Plenty to see for college coaches and fertile ground for recruiting.

Back