NWSL Scandal - Impact on youth soccer?

That’s a sore and personal issue for me. Son had 4.3 gpa and 1,320 SAT, along with captain of his cross country team. He got zero UC acceptances this year!! My motto with my 12 year old is just focus on getting better than C’s and let’s get into a community college or csu.

Everybody gets into UC Merced.

That’s a sore and personal issue for me. Son had 4.3 gpa and 1,320 SAT, along with captain of his cross country team. He got zero UC acceptances this year!! My motto with my 12 year old is just focus on getting better than C’s and let’s get into a community college or csu.

dang is that with impacted major's or what UC's? UCLA and USC?

3.7's for ours in 2019-20 and was accepted to several UC's including Santa Barbara and Irvine but his major was not impacted, writes very good essays and had a solid mix of civic and other things he could highlight.

dang is that with impacted major's or what UC's? UCLA and USC?

3.7's for ours in 2019-20 and was accepted to several UC's including Santa Barbara and Irvine but his major was not impacted, writes very good essays and had a solid mix of civic and other things he could highlight.
UC Irvine, ucla, Uc San Diego, Uc Berkeley, and Santa Bárbara. He screwed up on his essays. Big lesson learned for my little one. He didn’t take the time to write some solid essays.
He’s at csuf now getting all A’s, joined a frat, playing intramurals soccer, and part time job on a golf course. I’m happy with just paying $10k a year. Life is good!

Regarding the pay to play comments above, I have a thought that wanted to get some opinions from smarter folks than me. The University of CA and CSU systems are funded by our tax dollars. Why can't we mandate them to recruit players by scouting high school CIF games? We are funding these universities to then go and just look at private programs (ECNL, GAL, MLS next)? I would love to see a state proposition that requires at least 70% or more of the college athletic scholarships to apply towards high school athletes (non ECNL). Private universities can do whatever they want to do. I understand that there will still be some loophole but at least it gives all athletes a chance at getting a scholarship/ .
Take a look at football. They seem to run on that system.

I'm not sure it works the way you'd like. High talent kids at weak schools have a rough time getting noticed.

It would be even worse if you tried the same system on a college soccer scouting budget. With fewer scouts, they'd look at even fewer teams.

Regarding the pay to play comments above, I have a thought that wanted to get some opinions from smarter folks than me. The University of CA and CSU systems are funded by our tax dollars. Why can't we mandate them to recruit players by scouting high school CIF games? We are funding these universities to then go and just look at private programs (ECNL, GAL, MLS next)? I would love to see a state proposition that requires at least 70% or more of the college athletic scholarships to apply towards high school athletes (non ECNL). Private universities can do whatever they want to do. I understand that there will still be some loophole but at least it gives all athletes a chance at getting a scholarship/ .

High school players good enough to get recruited by UC's and CSU's are playing in the ECNL, GAL, MLS Next. Are you just saying that the UC/CSU coaches should be required to sit in the stands at high school games?

High school players good enough to get recruited by UC's and CSU's are playing in the ECNL, GAL, MLS Next. Are you just saying that the UC/CSU coaches should be required to sit in the stands at high school games?
I think it would be cool if they did come but that's just me dreaming. For example, if you're poor and can;t afford the pay to play leagues, how does a public school kid get recruited? I think soccer fan 4 life brings up valid points. Girls Soccer is the only sport in high school that gets attacked and no Collège coaches come. Do college coaches watch girls play high school hoops or Volleyball or water polo? I can say based on my eyes that the coaches would get a better feel of how hard that player is willing to go for the school name on their shirt. it's truly too bad and I wish they went to both.

Yes but only to watch CIF games. ECNL/GAL cost too much for lower income families. An inner city high school kid playing football can get great college scholarships while just playing high school football. Why not apply this to soccer? The amount of investment for a parent to do ECNL is ridiculous. You add travel fees and you are talking about $10k a year x 6 years? $60k to maybe get a scholarship?

Yes but only to watch CIF games. ECNL/GAL cost too much for lower income families. An inner city high school kid playing football can get great college scholarships while just playing high school football. Why not apply this to soccer? The amount of investment for a parent to do ECNL is ridiculous. You add travel fees and you are talking about $10k a year x 6 years? $60k to maybe get a scholarship?
While you certainly need skills to play American football- A kid with blazing speed or a dude that is 6'5" and 300 lbs is gonna get looks from colleges for a scholarship.
Soccer is much more of a skill sport. The fast kids will make a HS soccer team. But a fast kid will need considerable skill to stand out on a high level club team.

While you certainly need skills to play American football- A kid with blazing speed or a dude that is 6'5" and 300 lbs is gonna get looks from colleges for a scholarship.
Soccer is much more of a skill sport. The fast kids will make a HS soccer team. But a fast kid will need considerable skill to stand out on a high level club team.
I’m all in favor of club soccer for development. I just think that many talented kids are missing out because they can’t afford to do ECNL. Our best player in my dd’s 09 team is also one of the fastest strikers in the region. All ECNL teams want her and she is constantly getting recruited. The problem is that her dad works long hours and they can’t drive her to the closest ECNL practice field. There are many players that can compete against the best but will not have a chance if the scouts don’t check out high school games.

I’m all in favor of club soccer for development. I just think that many talented kids are missing out because they can’t afford to do ECNL. Our best player in my dd’s 09 team is also one of the fastest strikers in the region. All ECNL teams want her and she is constantly getting recruited. The problem is that her dad works long hours and they can’t drive her to the closest ECNL practice field. There are many players that can compete against the best but will not have a chance if the scouts don’t check out high school games.
This is exactly right. Soccer is an "elitist" sport in the US mostly played by middle but mostly upper middle class kids likely headed to college. High School Sports are much more inclusive from affordability and logistics. If colleges recruit other sports from HS (football, baseball, etc.) I'm sure they can figure out how to do it from soccer especially if all the club players played HSS. I have yet to talk to a teenager playing club that wouldn't like to also play soccer for their high school but either their league or parents won't let them.

This is exactly right. Soccer is an "elitist" sport in the US mostly played by middle but mostly upper middle class kids likely headed to college. High School Sports are much more inclusive from affordability and logistics. If colleges recruit other sports from HS (football, baseball, etc.) I'm sure they can figure out how to do it from soccer especially if all the club players played HSS. I have yet to talk to a teenager playing club that wouldn't like to also play soccer for their high school but either their league or parents won't let them.
100%. Please, anyone out there that knows about HS Sports. I have a question. Name me one sport that has a group of parents and Docs and coaches telling the student that their sport cannot be played at their school and only played in a league 24/7? AAU? My dd went through this agony of a decision in 8th grade when the new pay to play development league took over socal. I know many top coaches ((usually not American that make extra dough doing privates and are 100% against hss)). It was fulltime soccer for our dd plus travel all over the country and NO PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER ALLOWED or quit the league. She quit and joined the old top league that is now the top league in ECNL.

Agree with the problem. Disagree that HS can be a solution.

You have over 1300 high schools in CA. Fewer than 2000 high school girls play ECNL. Suppose another 2000 are high skill but overlooked. That gives you 3 high skill girls at each school. That’s not even enough for a good 2 v 2 at practice.

We need a different solution to the high cost and long commutes of ECNL. HS can’t solve it.

There isn’t close to enough staff at colleges to go and recruit at high school games

football is completely different , they have massive staffs and ridiculous amount of $$$$. At these elite schools they are using private jets on Friday to get to some of these games

basketball, and correct me if I’m wrong but I think the majority of the recruiting is done at AAU level,

people think club soccer is corrupt , AAU b-ball is a different world , especially when you have the shoe companies involved

You have over 1300 high schools in CA. Fewer than 2000 high school girls play ECNL. Suppose another 2000 are high skill but overlooked. That gives you 3 high skill girls at each school. That’s not even enough for a good 2 v 2 at practice.

We need a different solution to the high cost and long commutes of ECNL. HS can’t solve it.
Agree we do need a better solution to ECNL/MLS NEXT, but genuine question, why does high school work for other sports but it won't work for soccer?

Agree we do need a better solution to ECNL/MLS NEXT, but genuine question, why does high school work for other sports but it won't work for soccer?
Who said high school works for elite players in other sports?

Tennis, golf, gymnastics, basketball, and baseball all have their own versions of independent top level competition.

The only ones I can think of with a pure HS option are football, basketball, cross country, and track. The first two are hugely popular, and the last two are incredibly cheap individual sports.

None of the four is a model for girls soccer.

Curious to see what happens with my daughter, 4.6 gpa 4.0 unweighted slightly worse SAT than your son, but didn't submit scores since test blind. Decent essays, but no unique story, and OK philanthropics. We're assuming she wont get into UCSB, UCLA or Berkeley.

UNC acceptance rate for in-state is 47% and 13% out of state, UT-Austin is 42% in-state and 15% out of state. U of Michigan 47.5% vs 21.9%.

Whereas, UCLA acceptance rate is 12% in-state and 22% out of state, UCSB 29% vs 47%, UCSD 26% vs 51%

Below I included a link to a 2020 high school athletics stats in California (Go volleyball!). I get the funding needed for soccer and other sports. That's probably the main bottleneck to resolve with college athletic programs. You get more funding for other sports outside of football and they can recruit soccer players out of high school. I need to learn how to write a state proposition to make the change and push this.

Football (11-player) continues to lead the top 10 boys’ sports with 89,756 participants which decreased by 1.69% or 1,549 participants. Track and field (57,302) is the second most popular sport, which increased by 3.55%, followed by soccer (55,036), basketball (47,675), and baseball (45,132) which increased by 1.77%. Additionally, boys’ volleyball participation increased by 5.99%, as well as boys’ lacrosse, which increased by 4.71%.

For girls, soccer captured the top spot for the fifth consecutive year with 48,647 participants. Volleyball came in second (46,495), which increased participation by 1.08%, followed by track and field with 45,318 participants. Basketball (34,368) and softball (32,502) rounded out the top five girls’ sports. Girls’ lacrosse saw a notable 9.11% increase (10,737), taking over the 10th most popular sport for girls, while girls’ wrestling continues to grow with 6,446 participants for a 7.18% increase.

Football (11-player) continues to lead the top 10 boys’ sports with 89,756 participants which decreased by 1.69% or 1,549 participants. ...boy's ... soccer (55,036),
For girls, soccer captured the top spot for the fifth consecutive year with 48,647 participants.

So 103,683 HS students played soccer, many more than played football. Soccer deserves the same exposure, funding and support at high schools that football gets.

These players can get scholarships at ECNL clubs if they demonstrate need. If they are good enough to be recruited by UC's and CSU's then an ECNL club will help them out.

These players can get scholarships at ECNL clubs if they demonstrate need. If they are good enough to be recruited by UC's and CSU's then an ECNL club will help them out.
I agree with you on the scholarship part to be able to afford whatever it costs to play.
But the travel can be out of reach. Or if the club covers the cost of player travel, it might not be feasible for the parent to travel for that many weekends per year. And many parents don't want their kids staying in hotel rooms unless they are present.

Back