New Youth Sports Guidance

M

My issue is with parents who want to make decisions for all of us. "Just shut it down." If you don't like what is going on don't play this season. We don't need the negative ones dictating for the rest of us. Simple really.
I was talking to myself a little bit today and was wondering how I would handle things for my goat if I had underlying health issues. I would self quarantine until a vaccine. If my goat was so so player, I would still stay inside. This is just me. It isnt just soccer. My dd goes everywhere, everyday. The only true and safe way for me to stay alive 100% and risk free is for me to stay in my master suite and never leave and I would do that for sure. I already do that now kind of. I would just make my own kitchen and have my kids and wife stay away.

I was talking to myself a little bit today and was wondering how I would handle things for my goat if I had underlying health issues. I would self quarantine until a vaccine. If my goat was so so player, I would still stay inside. This is just me. It isnt just soccer. My dd goes everywhere, everyday. The only true and safe way for me to stay alive 100% and risk free is for me to stay in my master suite and never leave and I would do that for sure. I already do that now kind of. I would just make my own kitchen and have my kids and wife stay away.

i like that choice. I would do the same

i like that choice. I would do the same
It's the least that I can do and my mother would have done the same thing for me 100%. The fact is, I was much like Grace's boy. I was so into sports as a teenager that I had to play. I would have hopped the fence just like Little Messy Jr did. No way I could have stayed inside. I feel bad for the girls & boys who lost their senior year or Fr year because of the virus and other things.

Last edited:
Snappy Sunday

Have any of you "snapped" in the last five months? The other day I was being, "Snappy the Turtle." All this life stuff finally got to me and I was just going around and snapping at people I love. I snapped out of it before I went to bed and I feel way better. I know I can get real snappy on the Socal Soccer Forum with a few folks and Dom had to come save us all before we all went off the cliff. Thanks Dom :) I like the positive energy I see going on here at the forum. I will keep my ego in check :)

1596980319820.png

You are concerned about your ability to provide for you child. What about the coaches ability to provide for their children? If you are at risk, your daughter should probably sit this season out.
With the collection of fees from last season, the beginning of collection of fees for the upcoming year and the $300,000 - $1,000,000 PPP that the clubs are getting and coaches private training, I don't think they are in too much danger of not being able to provide for their children.

This is interesting article from Soccer America. We should all watch this closely out in PA.

The Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer Association, one of the largest youth soccer organizations in the country, has decided to go ahead with fall activities after its board voted on Thursday evening to sanction activities, including team training, scrimmages and competitions, despite Governor Tom Wolf's recommendation that all youth sports (pre-kindergarten through 12th grade) be postponed through the end of the year.

A release from Wolf's office on behalf of Pennsylvania's Department of Health and Department of Education stated that “this is a strong recommendation and not an order or mandate." It covered competitions, intramural play and scrimmages but did not apply to pro or college sports.

Established in 1972, EPYSA stated it had complied with all directives from federal, state and soccer authorities to proceed toward the restarting of soccer activities with allowances for camps and guided stages of restarting:
"We believe our community has carefully followed state guidance and has shown great care and respect for the children we serve as well as the parents, coaches, referees and other volunteers that make up our association."

EPYSA added that it will respect the decision of anyone who is uncomfortable and decides to sit out the fall season and it will comply with any order Governor Wolf issues for a postponement or suspension of play.

"Until such a time," it said, "we must continue practicing the necessary mitigation strategies of wearing a mask, social distancing and minimizing spectators and so forth. We also share with many of you, that the aspects of physical activity and mental health for our children are quite important, and that their participation in sport can be a positive contribution to their well-being."

With the collection of fees from last season, the beginning of collection of fees for the upcoming year and the $300,000 - $1,000,000 PPP that the clubs are getting and coaches private training, I don't think they are in too much danger of not being able to provide for their children.
There were very few clubs who applied for the PPP. And, you assume the club is paying coaches with that money. A lot of club coaches were furloughed during the spring when club shut down. And, you can bet it would only get worse if we shut down again. So yeah my concern for them is valid.

Clubs should adopts the model others follow by charging $50 a month for “coaching fees”. Half goes to the club fund and the other half to the coach or the club could let the coach keep the $50. Depending on roster size and splitting up the fees that anywhere from $300-$900 a month for a coach for just one team. Most coaches have several. It adds up. 3 teams can bring up to $2700 a month if not more.

There are not very many non profit clubs that could qualify for the PPP loan because they don't have more than 500 employees and employees would NOT include 1099 contractors. As I understand it most coaches are 1099. I know there are exceptions but on the surface it doesn't look like very many clubs could qualify for the PPP loans.

I would guess a great deal of the coaches that soccer is their only job are collecting unemployment which up until yesterday equated to approximately $36k per year and as of yesterday equates to approximately $29k per year.

Clubs should adopts the model others follow by charging $50 a month for “coaching fees”. Half goes to the club fund and the other half to the coach or the club could let the coach keep the $50. Depending on roster size and splitting up the fees that anywhere from $300-$900 a month for a coach for just one team. Most coaches have several. It adds up. 3 teams can bring up to $2700 a month if not more.

Hey, $32k per year, that's definitely livable in OC, right?

There are not very many non profit clubs that could qualify for the PPP loan because they don't have more than 500 employees and employees would NOT include 1099 contractors. As I understand it most coaches are 1099. I know there are exceptions but on the surface it doesn't look like very many clubs could qualify for the PPP loans.
The above I stated is wrong. Sorry!

I would guess a great deal of the coaches that soccer is their only job are collecting unemployment which up until yesterday equated to approximately $36k per year and as of yesterday equates to approximately $29k per year.

There are plenty of clubs who have received PPP loans and no you don't to have 500 employees and CA changed thing in 2020 so coaches are not necessary independent contractors any more.

In any case they have options, many of them do privates, camps, or others things so just like anybody in the Covid era they have to adjust.

The monthly fee idea somebody mentioned seems like a better idea vs paying up front, getting coaches paid on time 50/50 split or whatever could work.

The overall cost would be difficult to reduce compared to previous years so paying more is somewhat expected just due to the uncertainty but month to month would be preferred until regular practice, scrimmage, and games actually happen. Until then there should be less ask or fees paid.

You can look at the following link and see who received loans by putting in the Club name in the search or "Soccer" in the search, or "Futbol" in the search. This link also shows the number of jobs retained. There wasn't that many jobs retained in the clubs that received the loans so the statement I made above about unemployment still holds true.

There are plenty of clubs who have received PPP loans and no you don't to have 500 employees and CA changed thing in 2020 so coaches are not necessary independent contractors any more.

In any case they have options, many of them do privates, camps, or others things so just like anybody in the Covid era they have to adjust.

The monthly fee idea somebody mentioned seems like a better idea vs paying up front, getting coaches paid on time 50/50 split or whatever could work.

The overall cost would be difficult to reduce compared to previous years so paying more is somewhat expected just due to the uncertainty but month to month would be preferred until regular practice, scrimmage, and games actually happen. Until then there should be less ask or fees paid.
Yep...I admitted I was wrong above.

You can look at the following link and see who received loans by putting in the Club name in the search or "Soccer" in the search, or "Futbol" in the search. This link also shows the number of jobs retained. There wasn't that many jobs retained in the clubs that received the loans so the statement I made above about unemployment still holds true.

Of course this only shows greater than 150k loans.

Now you are talking about something you know nothing about. Tell you what, I will let you pay my mortgage with this windfall of money coaches are seeing. The ignorance at times is criminal.....

Back