Lets Drive to Utah on a Holiday Weekend to play teams from California

So what is the point of this thread?

Who cares , maybe there teams that enjoy traveling together, maybe their super soccer parents with vip passes and have money to spend.

Family vacation with some soccer sound pretty nice about now.

Just when you thought crossing county lines to practice was a bit much now teams are crossing state lines just to scrimmage, crazy times. These small time tournaments are suddenly attracting teams to play in the tumbleweed cup or whatever it's called.

It's like the speakeasy times, what's the password to get in again this week?

Anyway what's the saying....get it where you can? Whoops is that for youth sports or something else?

sad
I heard of a couple of families who have actually moved to Utah so their senior kids can play HS and club sports this year. And there is some backlash in Utah from kids who've been there the whole time about the new arrivals taking spots. Seems crazy to me.
sad for all the kids

So what is the point of this thread?

Who cares , maybe there teams that enjoy traveling together, maybe their super soccer parents with vip passes and have money to spend.

Family vacation with some soccer sound pretty nice about now.
We were told tonight maybe go to AZ for soccer. I am sick of being stuck in the house and so exactly have fun in AZ and get away for a bit!!

I heard of a couple of families who have actually moved to Utah so their senior kids can play HS and club sports this year. And there is some backlash in Utah from kids who've been there the whole time about the new arrivals taking spots. Seems crazy to me.

I can see this. At least as far as goalkeepers are concerned from the little we saw flight 1 keepers in Utah have very little on even some of top flight 3 keepers in SoCal, especially on the girls end. My son got moved up to the olders group in the camps he attended. We met a handful of Californians out there not to mention that two classmates from his school are out there, 2 from his current school and 2 work colleagues.

Just when you thought crossing county lines to practice was a bit much now teams are crossing state lines just to scrimmage, crazy times. These small time tournaments are suddenly attracting teams to play in the tumbleweed cup or whatever it's called.

Anyway what's the saying....get it where you can? Whoops is that for youth sports or something else?
Some folks thought I was making it up. Cactus Cup is big time now. Getting close to a sell out from the rumor mill and get this, they need more fields to meet demand. Drop my dd off at da games and then go back to hotel lobby and watch live stream. How far is Scottsdale from the Cactus Cup? Play and stay, but I dont care at this point. What else is there to do if you're a kid who likes to actually play in a soccer game? I respect the jugglers of the forum. I get it and it's making things work for your player. I played hoops. I would never do fundamentals for 12 months. Game or I find another game to play. I have to play games :) My dd is the same way. She's all in and wants to be with her teammates for the big Cup in AZ. I love it. I need to get out of Socal and just get away from it all. AZ food is good too. Looking forward to seeing old friends and new friends.

Sounds like bootlegging back in the prohibition

Utah..AZ..same difference. My brother is driving my 15yo nephew out to AZ this weekend for baseball. Not sure who they are playing or where the other teams are from but people are making the drive to play.

Utah..AZ..same difference. My brother is driving my 15yo nephew out to AZ this weekend for baseball. Not sure who they are playing or where the other teams are from but people are making the drive to play.

There is currently one big difference ;

Utah allows spectators with masks required.

Arizona is in step 1 of phase 4 which allows NO spectators for games .

There is at least one Labor day tournament in Arizona that has some CA teams .
Long drive to not be able to watch the game .

• Wow
Reactions: EM3
There is currently one big difference ;

Utah allows spectators with masks required.

Arizona is in step 1 of phase 4 which allows NO spectators for games .

There is at least one Labor day tournament in Arizona that has some CA teams .
Long drive to not be able to watch the game .
It isn’t a long drive to watch a game. It’s a long drive to make your kid happy. The lawn chair part is secondary.

I think it’s crazy, but it’s a crazy I understand.

I looked at the HS age and 2006 brackets.

I guess people really want to play. 6.5 hour drive to play teams within 40 miles.

Good luck.
Good for them, if that's what they want to do. I'd much rather go to Cedar City, UT than Phoenix. Much cooler (relatively speaking) and likely less home cooking from the refs. Hopefully they get some time to visit the amazing National Parks in the area.

I understand that for some its totally about making their kid happy and I don't think that's crazy.
I'm probably in that category although for me there are limits which this is approaching.

For others the long drive plus not being able to watch the game might make the difference and that's ok.

There is no right or wrong or crazy vs sensible in these kinds of decisions. We are all different and lucky that we are still for
the most part living in a free country and are able to choose for ourselves what we think will make us happy.

We wanted to go to Cedar City but the team we would have went with had two keepers already. She could have played the field, but she didn't want to. Would have visited Zion Sunday. So beautiful.

Back