Junior college route getting recruited

Jose has returned

SILVER ELITE
Hello

Does anyone have any insight to going the community college route getting recruited to a 4 year university? Do any schools look at JUCO for players?

Hello

Does anyone have any insight to going the community college route getting recruited to a 4 year university? Do any schools look at JUCO for players?
I know a few players that took that route last year and had a very successful year. Not sure about the recruiting because they have one more year. It's a great way to get a free education, play soccer and then look for that deal as a Jr. With Covid, Grad students and that extra year of roster spots, it's not a bad move. I will check with my source and see if any got recruited.

Traditionally Juco players have poor grades or dont want to spend a lot of $$$ on a college education.

The upside of Juco is that it's cheap + as long as you stick to the basic/traditional classes your credits will 99% of the time transfer to a bigger college. Keep in mind that if you choose to do a Juco only plan for 2 years at most and get good grades.

Another option is that most Jucos offer condenced winter and summer sessions where anyone (even 4 year students already attending a different college) can take classes. This is a great way to get some of your basic classes out of the way so you dont have to take as many credits during your regular school year.

The downside is that sports teams at most Jucos arent that great + even with the transfer window it's not where most coaches are going to be looking for talent. This means you'll need to get noticed in some other way if you want to play for a bigger 4 year college team.

Traditionally Juco players have poor grades or dont want to spend a lot of $$$ on a college education.

The upside of Juco is that it's cheap + as long as you stick to the basic/traditional classes your credits will 99% of the time transfer to a bigger college. Keep in mind that if you choose to do a Juco only plan for 2 years at most and get good grades.

Another option is that most Jucos offer condenced winter and summer sessions where anyone (even 4 year students already attending a different college) can take classes. This is a great way to get some of your basic classes out of the way so you dont have to take as many credits during your regular school year.

The downside is that sports teams at most Jucos arent that great + even with the transfer window it's not where most coaches are going to be looking for talent. This means you'll need to get noticed in some other way if you want to play for a bigger 4 year college team.
I went the Juco route. It took me 4 years to get to Big U because I was kicked out of foster care at 18 and had no money. I was looking for a cheap education for a future "cheapo" father. My favorite teacher was my American Gov professor at Fullerton College. He also taught at CSUF. He only did Juco class at night to make extra $$$ to pay his bills. Dude taught us all to look at both sides of the political system. I was a handful in that class. He later told me I was his favorite student because I brought experience and I shared my true experiences with the class. It was fun times as I look back as I had to work a full time job and take night classes because I had no family to help me. Yes, I made bad mistakes in HS and actually quit because I hated school and what was being taught. Anyway, I got my sh*t together at 20 and the rest is history.

I went the Juco route. It took me 4 years to get to Big U because I was kicked out of foster care at 18 and had no money. I was looking for a cheap education for a future "cheapo" father. My favorite teacher was my American Gov professor at Fullerton College. He also taught at CSUF. He only did Juco class at night to make extra $$$ to pay his bills. Dude taught us all to look at both sides of the political system. I was a handful in that class. He later told me I was his favorite student because I brought experience and I shared my true experiences with the class. It was fun times as I look back as I had to work a full time job and take night classes because I had no family to help me. Yes, I made bad mistakes in HS and actually quit because I hated school and what was being taught. Anyway, I got my sh*t together at 20 and the rest is history.
I went to Juco during the summers + had the same experience. My calculus teacher was a professor at the University of Colorado during the day but would teach at the Juco at night + during the summers. He was so cool/nice + would spend time explaining things to students 1 on 1 that he never would have been able to do at CU because of class sizes. After every class hed say "see you again (or tomorrow) same bat time, same bat channel".

Yes

Depending on the program some universities have a fairly robust recruiting program of underclass transfers.

Really helps if your with a JUCO squad that makes the postseason, playoffs, tournaments as the coaches and scouts tend to focus on those higher preforming program to recruit players with proven track records.

The spring camps are another way to get exposer for transfer students so consider that if your players is not on the radar on a program there going for.

Yes

Depending on the program some universities have a fairly robust recruiting program of underclass transfers.

Really helps if your with a JUCO squad that makes the postseason, playoffs, tournaments as the coaches and scouts tend to focus on those higher preforming program to recruit players with proven track records.

The spring camps are another way to get exposer for transfer students so consider that if your players is not on the radar on a program there going for.

Can you elaborate a bit more on your last sentence about camps?

I've seen the college id camps university run where they specific JC/Dx transfers welcomed. They ones in the spring vs the summer seems to be Targeting transfers to give those a shot at the next fall rosters.

Attached is a example and they player pictured was a Transfer although not through a camp. This player Was drafted into the MLS.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230511-161734-510~2.png
    Screenshot_20230511-161734-510~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
My daughter played Discovery (bit of a late bloomer) and played at a top JC in So Cal. Did her general education for free, was then recruited by mostly D2 schools and even a D1. She's now starting at a D2 (was a great academic fit too)...still haven't paid a dime in educational costs yet. Great option. Transfers out of JUCO tend to do very well.

My daughter played Discovery (bit of a late bloomer) and played at a top JC in So Cal. Did her general education for free, was then recruited by mostly D2 schools and even a D1. She's now starting at a D2 (was a great academic fit too)...still haven't paid a dime in educational costs yet. Great option. Transfers out of JUCO tend to do very well.

What was the route your daughter took? Did she attend camps or get seen playing at a JC event? Did she just continue communicating with 4-year coaches throughout the process? I know a few local D1 and D2 commits that, in my opinion, thought they'd get a better offer late, didn't, and now will wind up going JC in hopes of a 2nd shot when they backed out of their verbals.

What was the route your daughter took? Did she attend camps or get seen playing at a JC event? Did she just continue communicating with 4-year coaches throughout the process? I know a few local D1 and D2 commits that, in my opinion, thought they'd get a better offer late, didn't, and now will wind up going JC in hopes of a 2nd shot when they backed out of their verbals.
Just simply played 2 season (and right after the pandemic) - plenty of local (and Nor Cal) coaches came through, especially at end of season during playoffs. Of the starting players, 6 we're offered deals at 4 year schools - D1, D2 and plenty of NAIA - all got money. Many had multiple options. The school has to have a reputation/results. Think many parents would be surprised how well this path can be. I feel it's underappreciated, both academics and athletics. Just not as cool at the dinner party:)...

Just simply played 2 season (and right after the pandemic) - plenty of local (and Nor Cal) coaches came through, especially at end of season during playoffs. Of the starting players, 6 we're offered deals at 4 year schools - D1, D2 and plenty of NAIA - all got money. Many had multiple options. The school has to have a reputation/results. Think many parents would be surprised how well this path can be. I feel it's underappreciated, both academics and athletics. Just not as cool at the dinner party:)...
My ego would have laughed at you back when my dd was in 8th grade;) Today, it's a great option and should always be respected and not made fun of. Aaron Rogers and OJ come to mind as some great Juco ballers in football. For some reason it's failure for the girls, SMFH! My buddy did went JC and his dd played all the games. She will be Soph and already has interest at top D1 and D2 for 23/24. My other pal dd went P5 and sat on the bench and was not invited to road games. Now she's sitting in the transfer "purgatory" portal. I love this boot-it. Thanks for sharing. You can get all your GE out of the way without all the stress and play soccer and save money.

My ego would have laughed at you back when my dd was in 8th grade;) Today, it's a great option and should always be respected and not made fun of. Aaron Rogers and OJ come to mind as some great Juco ballers in football. For some reason it's failure for the girls, SMFH! My buddy did went JC and his dd played all the games. She will be Soph and already has interest at top D1 and D2 for 23/24. My other pal dd went P5 and sat on the bench and was not invited to road games. Now she's sitting in the transfer "purgatory" portal. I love this boot-it. Thanks for sharing. You can get all your GE out of the way without all the stress and play soccer and save money.

Aaron Rodgers was found by accident. Cal was there to recruit another player and Tedford saw Rodgers throw. From unheard of Butte Community College to the NFL Hall of Fame.

All true. My wife and I both played and both went JUCO then to a 4 year. We both are very involved (currently) in the soccer landscape, so we did have some understanding and that made the process easier. We're very excited to see our daughter play the last two years stress free, and rep the JUCO transfer population :).

Here are the standings of California JC's from the past season, ladies side.

I know Mt Sac and Santiago Canyon have a number of transfers go to D1, D2, and NAIA.

Question for those that have done it, do they use the portal to make the move? Can you go after 1 year?
No portal needed and yes, year one. And yes the schools you mentioned have a track record of sending players out and many D1/D2 bounce-backs.

Back