Happy Birthday USA!

Beef ribs are awesome.
I always cook pork on July 4th because its just a tiny bit more American. imho.
Pulled pork on Kings Hawaiian rolls with homegrown cucumber slaw.
Yep.

I cook a bone in shoulder in 6 to 7 hours.
4.5 hours in a smoker with oak and apple (or apricot) wood at just under 300, then cover and finish in the oven at 300.
Cant touch it.
Smoke ring-check
juicy and moist-check
tender as the night-check
I want sum of that...

Beef ribs are awesome.
Yep.

4.5 hours in a smoker with oak and apple (or apricot) wood at just under 300, then cover and finish in the oven at 300.
Cant touch it.
Smoke ring-check
juicy and moist-check
Is it as tender as husckers feelings?

Beef ribs are awesome.
Yep.

Cant touch it.
Smoke ring-check
juicy and moist-check
Whenever I do a smoke, brisket or pork shoulder, I leave it in the smoker for the duration. I have done all the wrapping and such, but it seems to me a waste of time.
I cook at a lower temp, 240ish. 12 hrs for both. I just put it in with 2 handfuls of wood and check my dual temp[smoker temp and internal meat temp] thermometer and start checking the temp in 10 hours. This is where an electric smoker comes in handy.

Whenever I do a smoke, brisket or pork shoulder, I leave it in the smoker for the duration. I have done all the wrapping and such, but it seems to me a waste of time.
I cook at a lower temp, 240ish. 12 hrs for both. I just put it in with 2 handfuls of wood and check my dual temp[smoker temp and internal meat temp] thermometer and start checking the temp in 10 hours. This is where an electric smoker comes in handy.
I dont wrap it, I just put it in a big pan and cover the top.
When you do it old school the way I do, you can dry it out a little if you leave it in there the whole time. Also, it gets more smoke flavor when you cook with real wood, so you dont need to keep loading wood after the first 4 or 5 hours. Its just easier to finish it in the oven.
I know the electrics are way easier, but I love the entire process of chopping the wood to standing around and checking the fire.
I dont use a thermometer either.
I just hold my hand over the chimney to feel for the right temp.

I dont wrap it, I just put it in a big pan and cover the top.
When you do it old school the way I do, you can dry it out a little if you leave it in there the whole time. Also, it gets more smoke flavor when you cook with real wood, so you dont need to keep loading wood after the first 4 or 5 hours. Its just easier to finish it in the oven.
I know the electrics are way easier, but I love the entire process of chopping the wood to standing around and checking the fire.
I dont use a thermometer either.
I just hold my hand over the chimney to feel for the right temp.
Have you ever tried putting a pan of water in the smoker? Really keeps things moist.
You really should try a thermometer, takes the guess work out of it.
Especially pork and chicken, you need to know that it is fully cooked.

Have you ever tried putting a pan of water in the smoker? Really keeps things moist.
Always have a pan of water in there,( one of the ways I tell if the fire is too hot, if I hear the water start to steam around the edge of the pan) and no, I dont need one (a thermometer) I've been cooking since I was a kid, and I know when its done.
I grew up in a restaurant, and can cook like Jaques Pepin.
How do you think people cooked before thermometers?

I can hold my hand over the chimney and tell if the fire is too hot or too cool.
With a pork shoulder, the bone will come out clean when its done, and the meat should pull apart easily with two forks.
Not too easily. It shouldnt be mushy, but it should come apart without any trouble.

* Never tell a guy how to cook his meat, unless he asks.
Its like giving unsolicited golf swing analysis after your buddy shanks one into the beer cart.

Even if he asks, "what am I doing wrong", at that point just hand him a beer and look straight ahead.

CQb4K-iVEAAbbIm.jpg

Its like giving unsolicited golf swing analysis after your buddy shanks one into the beer cart.

Even if he asks, "what am I doing wrong", at that point just hand him a beer and look straight ahead.
I'm gonna need a minute.

Sounds like a cook off is in order, we will let the Hawaiian be the judge if he can stay sober and awake.
Do you think our secret meeting place would be alright with bringing some meat in?

Sounds like a cook off is in order, we will let the Hawaiian be the judge if he can stay sober and awake.
Do you think our secret meeting place would be alright with bringing some meat in?
I know your beef jerky is about as good as ive ever had, and I dont make jerky.
I hear your briskit is fantastic, but Ive never smoked a brisket. If I do cook one, I braise it.
I think my ribs, chicken and shoulder are as good as anybody's.

No assuming, just responding once again to nonsense you feel compelled to post...you truly are a fucking moron, please continue in your quest to remove all doubt.
I'd like to thank you on behalf of the entire kitchen, when you post, you make everyone feel just that much smarter. Thanks Duck!
. . . and you are a broken record, afraid or unable to illustrate your point beyond insults . . . I don't mind constructive criticism, but you are unable, just mad and lashing out, good luck with that.

I know your beef jerky is about as good as ive ever had, and I dont make jerky.
I hear your briskit is fantastic, but Ive never smoked a brisket. If I do cook one, I braise it.
I think my ribs, chicken and shoulder are as good as anybody's.
One thing you surely are endowed with is an unwavering belief in your opinion.

Back