Getting ready for the College Level...

Ignore me all you want 45. I'm obviously pissing people off today again for speaking the truth. My hate PM is through the roof. My wife says today is the day I leave this place. She has never told me that before. I learned a long time ago to listen to her and I am. Some of you are whacked out of your freaking minds. It's just soccer. I'm leaving for good today.
Yeah right

My player started watching Bundesliga games after training in Germany and going to a few games in person. A young kid named Kai Havertz caught her eye and now that Kai has moved to Chelsea, she watches every game, studies every tactic, can recite player stats, talks about how so and so pulled defenders to open up passing angle and a bunch of other tactical stuff that goes over my head. She’s soaking it up and according to her, now she really understands what her coach is talking about at practice. Watching and studying is part of growing and getting ready to level up.

My player started watching Bundesliga games after training in Germany and going to a few games in person. A young kid named Kai Havertz caught her eye and now that Kai has moved to Chelsea, she watches every game, studies every tactic, can recite player stats, talks about how so and so pulled defenders to open up passing angle and a bunch of other tactical stuff that goes over my head. She’s soaking it up and according to her, now she really understands what her coach is talking about at practice. Watching and studying is part of growing and getting ready to level up.
Im so Happy girls watch soccer on tv and analyze the game. I'm sorry for making fun. I know GT45 says I'm a sexist because I think most of you are lying or at best bribing your dd to watch these games of grown men play. The lock down has people in their homes I guess.

Im so Happy girls watch soccer on tv and analyze the game. I'm sorry for making fun. I know GT45 says I'm a sexist because I think most of you are lying or at best bribing your dd to watch these games of grown men play. The lock down has people in their homes I guess.
Also something the girls do in the YNT Camps and while abroad.

Also something the girls do in the YNT Camps and while abroad.
I was wrong, easy tiger....lol. Plus, my dd has never ran with those girls in camps. She only played aginst them and beat them back in the old days when oranges were given out at halftime. Too funny bro. Are you or Lastman this 310 dude? Be honest man. I always told you want I felt. I swear I told myself Kicker will have to add his two cents on this subject and just like clock work, Kicker chimes in. I will say GDA and DPL preached video game watching hard core and no boyfriends too and most teams coaches wanted a verbal report on what they learned from the game and had TMs monitoring some kids actions. I'm still in shock :( I now understand why I'm the only with a dd that does not watch Man U vs Chelsa on a Saturday morning. I do have a question to Maps or any of our older dads or moms that have college age kids. Did your dd watch soccer games pro or college in middle school and high school? If I'm off my rocker, i will confess to you all and I will 100% get on my dd and tell her she's way behind in the game of watching the game of soccer on tv. I dont even watch sports right now so I would be a complete hypocrite if i made her but I now feel she is way behind. I did see Messi''s team miss shot after shot yesterday and their out now. No fans in the stands either.

This is the college recruiting thread so I am assuming that if you're reading this you have college-bound athletes. To have any sort of a soccer IQ a player should be watching games and following a professional league. I would think that this is a given from age 16 or 17.

Match fitness is not beep test fitness or running a 10k. Only way to get match fitness is to be playing soccer games and playing your preferred position. Center back fitness is not the same as midfielder or winger.

Your player should also have a personalised gym program and understand where her weaknesses are (e.g. weak glutes) because when she gets to college I bet everyone does the same gym program.

My player chose to go to a university where the coach really, really wants her and she has a good feeling that she will get a lot of playing time from day 1. Teams play 2 games a week so the the practices are not demanding. If you don't play in games you do not get match fit and IN GENERAL it's hard to catch up. You can have the best technique and first touch, but if you are not match fit you will get run over out there.

This is the college recruiting thread so I am assuming that if you're reading this you have college-bound athletes. To have any sort of a soccer IQ a player should be watching games and following a professional league. I would think that this is a given from age 16 or 17.

Match fitness is not beep test fitness or running a 10k. Only way to get match fitness is to be playing soccer games and playing your preferred position. Center back fitness is not the same as midfielder or winger.

Your player should also have a personalised gym program and understand where her weaknesses are (e.g. weak glutes) because when she gets to college I bet everyone does the same gym program.

My player chose to go to a university where the coach really, really wants her and she has a good feeling that she will get a lot of playing time from day 1. Teams play 2 games a week so the the practices are not demanding. If you don't play in games you do not get match fit and IN GENERAL it's hard to catch up. You can have the best technique and first touch, but if you are not match fit you will get run over out there.
I will let my dd know to have any sort of soccer IQ one needs to watch matches on TV. Tad told me girls do not watch soccer games on TV unless you manipulate them or bribe them and he coached the best of the best. I watched hoops and I learned a few things but I got my IQ from playing the game, period. Has your dd played yet this year? Thanks for sharing :)

Did they provide your daughter with a fitness package so she can get started on the workouts they want her to improve on?

Did they provide your daughter with a fitness package so she can get started on the workouts they want her to improve on?
I heard from a dear friend that had a college player graduate last year. Played all four years and told me 100% not to fret and panic. He PM me and said not to make my dd feel bad that she doesnt like to watch soccer games on tv. He said a good coach will give you the run down and what the expectation is to be on the team and see play on the pitch. 100% you better be in shape and in game shape. Max potential. My dd is always ready for a big game. That is checked off. I know I said, "my dd" again but I cant help it. I love talking soccer :)

Last edited:
I heard from a dear friend that had a college player graduate last year. Played all four years and told me 100% not to fret and panic. He PM me and said not to make my dd feel bad that she doesnt like to watch soccer games on tv. He said a good coach will give you the run down and what the expectation is to be on the team and see play on the pitch. 100% you better be in shape and in game shape. Max potential. My dd is always ready for a big game. That is checked off. I know I said, "my dd" again but I cant help it. I love talking soccer :)

I agree. And I am not recommending that you force your player to watch games. She should WANT to watch games. If she doesn't it doesn't matter.

Soccer is about on and off ball movement and quick decision making and you get a lot of that by watching film. A coach may sit down with a player and show them a few things and a player may pick up a few things each year, but unless they are playing with older, experienced/pro players every day how are they going to have a good soccer IQ?

The college game is full of plenty of players that don't really understand the game and they are happy.

I was just giving advice to those players that are shooting for Stanford, UNC, Florida State or whoever is now ranked #1 lol.

I agree. And I am not recommending that you force your player to watch games. She should WANT to watch games. If she doesn't it doesn't matter.

Soccer is about on and off ball movement and quick decision making and you get a lot of that by watching film. A coach may sit down with a player and show them a few things and a player may pick up a few things each year, but unless they are playing with older, experienced/pro players every day how are they going to have a good soccer IQ?

The college game is full of plenty of players that don't really understand the game and they are happy.

I was just giving advice to those players that are shooting for Stanford, UNC, Florida State or whoever is now ranked #1 lol.
^this!

My girls have been watching soccer with me for many years from ManU to Barca, etc. They know the players and ask detailed questions.

My girls have been watching soccer with me for many years from ManU to Barca, etc. They know the players and ask detailed questions.
Lastman, that is super cool. No satire on this psot. I do joke around a lot but this one warmed my heart. I still think it's lame that male coaches forced girls to watch men play soccer and report back to coach when girls are 13. That is weird but what do I know.

Lastman, that is super cool. No satire on this psot. I do joke around a lot but this one warmed my heart. I still think it's lame that male coaches forced girls to watch men play soccer and report back to coach when girls are 13. That is weird but what do I know.

I disagree. This coach is going out of his way to try to get his players inspired and grow as players so they can play at the next level. Does your daughter play on a winning team that just muscles the ball off a player and then boots it to the fast girl who scores on a weak GK? Or do you think they play possession, but it's really "possession" with no purpose? Goalies and defenders get better as your child gets older. The coach knows this and he's trying to prepare them. Calling your child's coach "lame" on a public forum is disrespectful and let's hope for your player's sake it doesn't get back to him or the club. They won't do you or your child any favors in regard to recruiting - college, pro or nat team. You'll probably say that you were "joking" etc, but I suspect So Cal is small and you're not as anonymous as you think.

Reactions: STX
I disagree. This coach is going out of his way to try to get his players inspired and grow as players so they can play at the next level. Does your daughter play on a winning team that just muscles the ball off a player and then boots it to the fast girl who scores on a weak GK? Or do you think they play possession, but it's really "possession" with no purpose? Goalies and defenders get better as your child gets older. The coach knows this and he's trying to prepare them. Calling your child's coach "lame" on a public forum is disrespectful and let's hope for your player's sake it doesn't get back to him or the club. They won't do you or your child any favors in regard to recruiting - college, pro or nat team.
Hello, this was 4-5 years ago when oranges were handed out at halftime. She loves all her coaches and has for a long time.

I disagree. This coach is going out of his way to try to get his players inspired and grow as players so they can play at the next level. Does your daughter play on a winning team that just muscles the ball off a player and then boots it to the fast girl who scores on a weak GK? Or do you think they play possession, but it's really "possession" with no purpose? Goalies and defenders get better as your child gets older. The coach knows this and he's trying to prepare them. Calling your child's coach "lame" on a public forum is disrespectful and let's hope for your player's sake it doesn't get back to him or the club. They won't do you or your child any favors in regard to recruiting - college, pro or nat team. You'll probably say that you were "joking" etc, but I suspect So Cal is small and you're not as anonymous as you think.
Out of curiosity, what age are you coaching girls in soccer m soocer m? I see that you edit too. Good for you coach. My name is Bill, what is your name coach?

One more question for you @ coach m soccer m. How many hours a week should 13 year olds girls watch soccer on tv ? How about when their 16 or 17? No one said anything about pro either. My dd ((there I go again)) is being a kid. I will encourage her to watch more game film and tell her all the great players of today watch soccer all the time with their dads. Thanks for the heads up coach....lol!!!

Back