Getting ready for the College Level...

Dubs

GOLD
For those with kids that are moving onto the college level or have kids playing there now, what are they doing to prepare as their club careers end?

For those with kids that are moving onto the college level or have kids playing there now, what are they doing to prepare as their club careers end?
Get a trainer or a training program and train consistently and with purpose. Club level fitness is not college level fitness. Keep practicing ball skills. Watch soccer and analyze the games, and pay particular attention to your position to increase soccer IQ.

Get a trainer or a training program and train consistently and with purpose. Club level fitness is not college level fitness. Keep practicing ball skills. Watch soccer and analyze the games, and pay particular attention to your position to increase soccer IQ.

My oldest has been watching and re watching streamed conference games of where he is playing in the fall. If your player signs early, staying connected with the coaches and possibly players met during an on campus visits (I know those were hard to come by)

Committing to next level fitness is important, as @outside! describes above. HS season is over in AZ, now it's back to club, make fitness gains, and stay healthy. First impressions in AUG will be important.

My oldest has been watching and re watching streamed conference games of where he is playing in the fall. If your player signs early, staying connected with the coaches and possibly players met during an on campus visits (I know those were hard to come by)

Committing to next level fitness is important, as @outside! describes above. HS season is over in AZ, now it's back to club, make fitness gains, and stay healthy. First impressions in AUG will be important.
Do girls honestly sit down and watch soccer games and then analyze the game? I find it hard to believe but what do I know.

Could you or somebody in the know please explain in detail what it takes to achieve college level fitness?

Do girls honestly sit down and watch soccer games and then analyze the game? I find it hard to believe but what do I know.
100%. My DD did and continues to do this for each College game of the top 5 schools she is interested in and uses some of the analysis in her emails to Coaches.

Our coach has often foregone that 4th day of training (in the DA days) for rest and assigned a game for the players to do a tactical breakdown of.

For some DA caused disruption, for most it was an extremely beneficial experience. Tou simply can’t extrapolate one or two experiences and apply them to the whole arbitrarily.

Could you or somebody in the know please explain in detail what it takes to achieve college level fitness?
I am not an expert. All I know is that my already very fit DD is much more fit now and says the fitness tests are not easy. Her program also has skills tests.

100%. My DD did and continues to do this for each College game of the top 5 schools she is interested in and uses some of the analysis in her emails to Coaches.

Our coach has often foregone that 4th day of training (in the DA days) for rest and assigned a game for the players to do a tactical breakdown of.

For some DA caused disruption, for most it was an extremely beneficial experience. Tou simply can’t extrapolate one or two experiences and apply them to the whole arbitrarily.
I saw one girl do it and I was shocked. Hats off to your dd bro, I mean that. I tried to get my kid to watch and the only way was paying her to do it and I ain't doing that. Her old GDA coach made the girls watch Man U vs Chelsa and then have to report back what they learned from watching the grown men play. That was stupid, MOO!! Tad told me girls never watch games on tv unless their forced too but I see more and more doing it to get better and that's a good thing.
For most of us Kicker, the GDA was divisive at best. Water under the bridge now so no need to bring up old wounds. Next season will be a blast and I persoanlly can;t wait for the competition. This year sucks, just like all sports.

Last edited:
My youngest does it all the time. She can't wait for videos to post on trace/hudl/instat (or whatever platform is being used). She spends plenty of time making clips and tracks views.

My oldest is a he and has been doing it for years. Up till this calender year, he's never played a day in his life in a fancy letter league so his access to trace/huddle, etc was zilch. He has been reviewing college game film for over a year. According to him, it helped to form his decision on where he wanted to play.

I haven't once told them they should do it. If anything I ridicule them for watching so much soccer, like they don't spend enough time as it is with the sport. I wouldn't have ever done it at their age, even if the tech was available. They are being influenced by their coaches.

Typically provided by the school and is comprised of a cardio and strength targets the player is expected to meet once they arrive for training.

Damn well better be able to pass the Beep Test threshold!
My dd has that Beep test down. She turns it on when it matters.

My youngest does it all the time. She can't wait for videos to post on trace/hudl/instat (or whatever platform is being used). She spends plenty of time making clips and tracks views.

My oldest is a he and has been doing it for years. Up till this calender year, he's never played a day in his life in a fancy letter league so his access to trace/huddle, etc was zilch. He has been reviewing college game film for over a year. According to him, it helped to form his decision on where he wanted to play.

I haven't once told them they should do it. If anything I ridicule them for watching so much soccer, like they don't spend enough time as it is with the sport. I wouldn't have ever done it at their age, even if the tech was available. They are being influenced by their coaches.
How much you pay her Happy to watch? Be honest. I swear if you dont tell them to watch, they wont watch. They would much rather go out and play, MOO. I dont buy any of this, "my dd loves to sit down and analyze the games." No way.....

So she just all on her lonesome sits down and analyzes the games? I do know of dads who tell their dd they have to watch one hour a week of soccer and for some, they dont get allowance if they dont watch or juggle. I kid you not.

I saw one girl do it and I was shocked. Hats off to your dd bro, I mean that. I tried to get my kid to watch and the only way was paying her to do it and I ain't doing that. Her old GDA coach made the girls watch Man U vs Chelsa and then have to report back what they learned from watching the grown men play. That was stupid, MOO!!
My kid didn’t like watching games either initially but she loves to go to games. So, we attend all Xolos home games and now she has progressed to watching games in different leagues on her own. Maybe try taking her to pro games if possible and she’ll progress to watching games on TV on her own.

So she just all on her lonesome sits down and analyzes the games? I do know of dads who tell their dd they have to watch one hour a week of soccer and for some, they dont get allowance if they dont watch or juggle. I kid you not.
We are about as removed from our player's soccer lives as we can be. We don't attend all of the games. Our oldest has been driving himself to games for 2.5 years.

If I have to pay my kids to be involved in soccer then there isn't a reason to pay for anything related to soccer. The only requirement I have for their fully funded extra curricular activities is that they are having fun.

Reactions: STX
Back