Getting ready for the College Level...

Agreed. My dd’s coach asked they watch any game and make observations/take notes about the player who played there position. Mine chose ManU and as both my dd’s are defenders they have great options to watch.

Agreed. My dd’s coach asked they watch any game and make observations/take notes about the player who played there position. Mine chose ManU and as both my dd’s are defenders they have great options to watch.
That's awesome Lastman. I had no idea I would get the shit beat out of me all because I think it's lame that a coach tells young girls to watch men play soccer on TV and report back. I was told by the #1 coach in socal that m girls dont watch soccer games on tv unless their dads or club coach tell them to. That is 100% a fact. If my dd is not recruited because she didnt watch soccer games on tv, well then, I will come on here and admit it was all because she did not watch soccer with her old man. I'm done with this bro. I sorry I have an opionion.

That's awesome Lastman. I had no idea I would get the shit beat out of me all because I think it's lame that a coach tells young girls to watch men play soccer on TV and report back. I was told by the #1 coach in socal that m girls dont watch soccer games on tv unless their dads or club coach tell them to. That is 100% a fact. If my dd is not recruited because she didnt watch soccer games on tv, well then, I will come on here and admit it was all because she did not watch soccer with her old man. I'm done with this bro. I sorry I have an opionion.

I know I’m easy to ignore but I’ll repeat what I said earlier: my kid attended a game, a player caught her attention and the rest is history- she studies the game insatiably. I didn’t tell her to. If her coach did, good for him but I never heard him tell her to. She just got hooked on the joy of watching top top level and has begun to see patterns unfolding, seeing how different people with different physical attributes leverage them to be world class.

the coach who told you that girls don’t watch soccer unless told to was probably talking about the U-10 to U-14 range. As a blanket observation, he was probably spot on. But as the girls/ young women’s game evolves and players become students of the game, that changes.
Have your kid tune into one of the Premiere league games this weekend! They are effing amazing players to watch!

I know I’m easy to ignore but I’ll repeat what I said earlier: my kid attended a game, a player caught her attention and the rest is history- she studies the game insatiably. I didn’t tell her to. If her coach did, good for him but I never heard him tell her to. She just got hooked on the joy of watching top top level and has begun to see patterns unfolding, seeing how different people with different physical attributes leverage them to be world class.

the coach who told you that girls don’t watch soccer unless told to was probably talking about the U-10 to U-14 range. As a blanket observation, he was probably spot on. But as the girls/ young women’s game evolves and players become students of the game, that changes.
Have your kid tune into one of the Premiere league games this weekend! They are effing amazing players to watch!
To each his own. I can say it seems everyone but my kid watches soccer with dad on the weekends. She has two big league games this weekend bro plus other fun things to do with her friends so that will be a big fat no. I'll tell her on the way down South tomorrow morning about how many of the top players her age watch EPL with dad. When my dd was told she could go pro when she was 10 I was watching, "Living Liverpool." I was into it and tried to get her to watch with me but she was not interested. However, if i told her about a big tournament or something like a National Championship opportunity, she would jump all in and train like no other bro. I have the proof in the pudding. Hard work pays off.

Typically provided by the school and is comprised of a cardio and strength targets the player is expected to meet once they arrive for training.

Damn well better be able to pass the Beep Test threshold!

While our kids are still youngers, this is absolutely what happened when I was recruited to play at various colleges many moons ago...you know, when the ball wasn't round but more cube like. I was given a huge packet with all kinds of fitness targets. After reading them is when I decided to forego a collegiate soccer career and focus on consuming adult beverages. In hindsight, I wish I would've just sucked it up.

@crush As I said the majority of US women college soccer players don't really understand the game. Does it matter? No. Is the purpose of college soccer to churn out pros? No. Can a player play in college and not watch soccer and have an average soccer IQ? Yes.

Don't be so defensive - when she is a bit older just pick a NWSL team and follow it. Don't make a big deal about it. At a minimum watch the USWNT every time they play.

My kids preferred to watch hoops when they were younger -- didn't hurt that Curry was lighting it up here in the Bay Area! They watched a little soccer when I had it on, but not for extended periods of time. Now they (04 and 06) will watch a game while we are eating and notice things, but not really watch anything otherwise -- None of their coaches have them watch film of the games they have played which I don't really understand -- helps both coaches and players see what they could have done different or why something worked out well. I think being able to watch and analyze film objectively is a great way to get better as a player and a team.
I wish they would want to watch with me, but I also don't mind some me time!!

@crush As I said the majority of US women college soccer players don't really understand the game. Does it matter? No. Is the purpose of college soccer to churn out pros? No. Can a player play in college and not watch soccer and have an average soccer IQ? Yes.

Don't be so defensive - when she is a bit older just pick a NWSL team and follow it. Don't make a big deal about it. At a minimum watch the USWNT every time they play.
@Coach m soccer m. Where do you coach bro? What age? My dd has above average soccer IQ and never watches games on TV. I already told you my name and I hide from nothing. Not defensive at all. I'm just stating the facts.

We should all agree college has different levels and each player has different athletic abilities and some have God given talents that others just dont have. My dd has a friend who has older sister who played big time D1. One of her former college roommates and former teammates only played one day in college, she quit the first day of practice if you can believe that. I shared this story before coach m soccer m, so it's worth repeating. Breakdown: Socal player committed in 8th grade. Top, top baller in South OC. Well, she slowed down each year because she already had her deal, was happy and content with her deal and coasted to her Senior year. She was burned out too because all she did was play soccer and was told by her old man that this is how you get into dream school. She had 4.1 and was really really good in 8th grade. Fast forward to big P5 practice. Beep Beep Beep is all she heard that day and she fainted and puked at the last Beep. Coach grabbed her by her pony tail and spoke a few words of truth to her. Guess what? She quit. The good news is dad had lot's of cash in the bank and dd stayed at the school and did great. She did not have the passion to actually play in the games. If "my dd" is fortunate to be wanted by some college program in the 50 States we have (D1, D2, D3 or NAIA school)) then I'm sure she will follow the packet of Rules & Expectations from the coach, whatever level she get's to play at. I really do hope she plays in college somewhere. JC is also available for first two years.

@crush I wish I was a coach then I wouldn't be wasting my time on some soccer forum talking about college soccer. I'd be too busy talking to agents and going with her to trials in Europe because her soccer IQ would be that much better because all we would do is talk soccer in the house and watch the MLS or her game film and I'd be able to show her where she could improve. lol

@crush I wish I was a coach then I wouldn't be wasting my time on some soccer forum talking about college soccer. I'd be too busy talking to agents and going with her to trials in Europe because her soccer IQ would be that much better because all we would do is talk soccer in the house and watch the MLS or her game film and I'd be able to show her where she could improve. lol
TM? Board member? Investor? BTW, we have so many coaches on here. We even have one that calls parents the "C" word and others that call parents ((the customers)) morons and fools and STFU.

All programs have off season fitness packets or instructions from trainers. Most do some sort of fitness test at the start of camp. Ultimately it means very little. Coaches are going to play who they want to play. The tough part is your kid is sometimes only valued until that next kid comes along. Especially if that kid is taking less money.

Maybe this was asked...are college coaches asking for specific times for 1 mile, 2 mile, other distances?
We didn't have that experience when speaking with college coaches. I feel like that would be something they would send to you after signing the national letter of intent or whatever that you are going there. Then they would send you items to get you ready for starting the freshman year.

All programs have off season fitness packets or instructions from trainers. Most do some sort of fitness test at the start of camp. Ultimately it means very little. Coaches are going to play who they want to play. The tough part is your kid is sometimes only valued until that next kid comes along. Especially if that kid is taking less money.
Honest question. Did your dd watch weekend EPL and take notes and share about the game with you when she was in middle school? I asked three friends who have old dds and all them said they never watched soccer on tv. Two of them play D1 and one is D2. All of them get minutes and one plays all the time.

We didn't have that experience when speaking with college coaches. I feel like that would be something they would send to you after signing the national letter of intent or whatever that you are going there. Then they would send you items to get you ready for starting the freshman year.
100% agree. I played small college ball back in the 80s and I remember when i got my packet by coach. It basically said, "If you dont come in shape, you will sit on the bench and watch." He was known as a coach who would like to weed out those who didnt follow the packets instruction and they were the ones who rode the pine. We had 15 guys for 5 spots on the court. My coach only played 3 kids off the bench too. The others waved towels hoping we would score. We had no Beeper test either. The fact is, if you want to play at the next level, be in shape or find yourself watching.

Back