Gets demoted?

Yes shame on me for thinking a tryout is for talent identification. If you are taking everybody, don't call it a tryout.
Jamis, watch out man. I see your new and I got your back bro. This Golden Gate is something else. He was "End of the Line" and then became "EOTL." Dom, our head Admin tech and owner of this place banished him from the forum earlier in the year but he came back as GG. Other aliases he goes by; The Long Game, Espola, Husler the Husker Du and I think maybe Dad4 and Evil Goalie.

Yes shame on me for thinking a tryout is for talent identification. If you are taking everybody, don't call it a tryout.

I can see you are a really intelligent fellow who isn't fooled by clubs using the term "tryout" as part of their nefarious plot to ruin the future of as many children as possible. Clearly, they used that term to intentionally dupe people into paying them money in exchange for kids being able to play on a soccer team. So mean of them.

Don't try to pretend you're upset about semantics. If you don't think they were evaluating which kids are best suited for the different level teams they are trying to put together, ok, good luck in your future endeavors. Also don't assume the club knew it was taking everyone at the outset. Like many clubs, they probably decided they had enough kids at tryouts to make a new team work and had enough flexibility as a big club to take all the kids who tried out. Why are you even angry that a club is finding a spot for everyone who wants to play? Anyone who isn't a petty selfish douche would look at a club finding a place for everyone who wants to play as a decision that deserves a lot of praise. Why do you even care that a club is going to field a team of bad soccer players playing bad soccer? We all know the answer has nothing to do with the noun they selected for their flyer, and everything to do with your lack of confidence that your child will make the top level team and your concern that they will "get stuck" playing with kids who aren't good enough for you but, in reality, are probably right around your child's actual objective ability level.

My younger boys couldnt get into a club around- 2010 to 2011 years ( 7 to 8 years of age). Back then I recall that club didnt really start until after 9 or 10 years of age. It feels like around the year 2014 through now, anyone can get into a club. I am already seeing announcements for the kids born in 2016 age group.

Jamis, watch out man. I see your new and I got your back bro. This Golden Gate is something else. He was "End of the Line" and then became "EOTL." Dom, our head Admin tech and owner of this place banished him from the forum earlier in the year but he came back as GG. Other aliases he goes by; The Long Game, Espola, Husler the Husker Du and I think maybe Dad4 and Evil Goalie.
I'm sure GoldenGate is a really nice fellow in person.

There are always exceptions and learning/improvement is absolutely non-linear but if you really focus on DEVELOPING your players, the need for dropping them to a lower team (or potentially cutting them) is vastly reduced. I know the 'system' doesn't really support this approach of patience and true player development but you don't always have to fit into the system.

Recruitment is of course part of running a team/club but here's an idea; focus on truly developing the kids you have and this will minimize the need for recruitment. Take your eyes off the big W for just a minute and work on helping all of your players to actually improve (the W's will come, trust me).

One year of really good quality training results in a hell of a lot of improvement; one year of average training results in little more than stagnation and if you just go and pick up players to replace your 'trash', you're perpetuating a failing system that prematurely and unnecessarily spits out way too many kids already.

There are always exceptions and learning/improvement is absolutely non-linear but if you really focus on DEVELOPING your players, the need for dropping them to a lower team (or potentially cutting them) is vastly reduced. I know the 'system' doesn't really support this approach of patience and true player development but you don't always have to fit into the system.

Recruitment is of course part of running a team/club but here's an idea; focus on truly developing the kids you have and this will minimize the need for recruitment. Take your eyes off the big W for just a minute and work on helping all of your players to actually improve (the W's will come, trust me).

One year of really good quality training results in a hell of a lot of improvement; one year of average training results in little more than stagnation and if you just go and pick up players to replace your 'trash', you're perpetuating a failing system that prematurely and unnecessarily spits out way too many kids already.
Kind of true...

Theres a couple of things you cant teach. The first is Soccer IQ. Some players are just better at understanding the game. The second is size. You cant teach a kid to be taller. (A third intangible is speed. But players can get faster by working out + weights.)

At the highest levels of competition intangibles are what coaches are looking for.

Does any of this apply to youth soccer? I'm not sure. It's obvious that the bigger faster kids have an advantage. However I've seem teams of super fast individuals get ripped apart by smaller well coached "posession" teams.

There are two issues with this, though, and they both have to do with the system:

-its really tough for most coaches to get it done on a year if all there is is two practices a week and that’s all players are doing. There’s just so much to cover in touch and pass and spacing that how do you get to shooting let alone set pieces or drilling getting it out from the back or (god forbid since its always the last priority) teaching the gk what you want on handed distribution. Every year you get at least some new crew which means effectively having to go over everything again. The good coaches with a good knowledge are emphasizing passing drills in multiple figures. The bad ones or those that have players with poor outside work ethic are running them during practice.

-it may be enough to stop the team from getting relegated but it’s not going to be enough to get them promoted and with pro/rel that’s everything. The next year you lose your best players. The winning teams get to replace the weaker ones with the better ones. If you do really bad you lose your team because it imploded. The system placed the emphasis on the win, not long term development. What’s worse is some leagues like coast are pyramids which means there is little room at the top and it’s a full all out war to get there and stay there

as I said the other day my son and I watched an old team he was on that had at one point won the state cup and had risen to silver elite in coast. It was surprising to see how little has changed. The ball was always bouncing in the air, the plan was always the through ball or to have a winger outrun the defender but it was always up in the air, it was always try to shoot it above the keepers head (and they are getting to the age they can repulse almost any ball over them with a tip and are beginning to extension dive). It works well enough still (the keeper they were up against though was one who played high and held his team in there because he was coming out to knock those aerial balls…if they hadn’t messed up 2 back passes the other team would have won 4-2 but the learning how to play it from the back cost them the game for a draw) but the kids are still playing exactly as 9v9 and because they are successful most parents are satisfied and don’t know any better.

Kind of true...

Theres a couple of things you cant teach. The first is Soccer IQ. Some players are just better at understanding the game. The second is size. You cant teach a kid to be taller. (A third intangible is speed. But players can get faster by working out + weights.)

At the highest levels of competition intangibles are what coaches are looking for.

Does any of this apply to youth soccer? I'm not sure. It's obvious that the bigger faster kids have an advantage. However I've seem teams of super fast individuals get ripped apart by smaller well coached "posession" teams.
To add to things you can’t teach, you can’t teach heart. There are some kids that do not want to be out there but their parents just don’t see it. Or they do and don’t care.

Kind of true...

Can Soccer IQ be taught... or at least learning of that aspect be fostered?

Asking because my kid's not going to be very tall or very fast... :p

Not asking much.. just want the Soccer IQ and execution of Xavi or Iniesta... lol

Not asking much.. just want the Soccer IQ and execution of Xavi or Iniesta... lol
If they watch a lot of soccer and play a lot of soccer. If they have a favorite team and players. It comes from the love love love of the game and always asking questions

I usually have some type of soccer on on the weekends , while my daughter isn’t sitting there watching it intently, and she certainly doesn’t have a wager on the game like her dad , she will pop up and ask questions. That’s probably something you could do, they will take a peak in between playing with their fidgets

My kid is moving up to another team partly in search for a more committed group. Players that go to practice on a regular consistent basis, shows up to games consistently and early, doesn’t miss games because of another sport or social activity. A team where the coach and manager doesn’t need to hound the parents about attendance and communication. If our current club has more numbers, I would have liked some of his current teammates to be moved down since they obviously don’t have the same commitment level. There are some rare exceptions where a player just needs another season or year to develop and play more instead of sitting on the bench.

Regarding soccer IQ, I don’t know how that can be taught. On every team you can easily spot the kids who knows what they are doing. They stand out even if they are slight and gets bodied off the ball. Then there are the kids who, even after years of playing, still just kick the ball randomly and the coach has to constantly remind them of their positioning. In the end, the club landscape is so vast that there is a olace for everyone that wants to play. There is always time for player improvement and if the kid doesn’t give up, the player should be constantly improving and that’s the goal.

You cant teach speed or size, especially for females. The goal for a girl is to Not lose their speed and just keep it. The female will go through many changes as a teen a dad just has no clue about. IQ is God given, moo.

Of course soccer IQ can be taught. The amount of improvement obviously varies depending on the method and each individual.

A simple example. Every kid starts out playing FIFA at the beginner's level and can dribble through the entire defense to score effortlessly. Set the difficult level to professional or higher, he/she will quickly figure out in less than ten minutes that they need to pass the ball. Otherwise, you lose possession every single time.

Anecdotal conclusion: Boys' game is more possession based because boys waste more time playing video games (or watch more pro games) than girls.

Of course soccer IQ can be taught. The amount of improvement obviously varies depending on the method and each individual.

A simple example. Every kid starts out playing FIFA at the beginner's level and can dribble through the entire defense to score effortlessly. Set the difficult level to professional or higher, he/she will quickly figure out in less than ten minutes that they need to pass the ball. Otherwise, you lose possession every single time.

Anecdotal conclusion: Boys' game is more possession based because boys waste more time playing video games (or watch more pro games) than girls.
I disagree Messi regarding IQ. IQ is what your born with, naught taught. I had to teach myself because peolle.thought I was dumb, moron and idiot because I was deaf as baby. No one taught me. I have a very hi IQ. Born with it I swear. IQ is mental and knowing where to be ahead of everyone else. Insticks bro cant be taught.

yeah this was basically 4 year olds play some fun games then break out into 3v3

there was a mini-Messi out there . So that’s who the 2017 surf team is for

I did the AYSO coaching with my daughter for a season, I enjoyed it , but I was so worried about parents feeling like I was favoring my daughter that I think I subbed her out more than any other player on the team. I also got annoyed at this one coach who insisted on having throw ins with 5 year olds instead of just kicking the ball back in. You have any idea how often the ball is out of bounds in a 5 year old game lol?
My kids were in AYSO the last 10 years, before moving to club, and my experience has been that the parents in AYSO are psychotic on the sidelines than any club game I've been to. Same with the coaches. The lower the level of soccer, the more insane the parents/coaches are, in my experience, not the other way around. But perhaps we just got lucky with a good club team with friendly, normal parents...not sure.

Oh boy, you just made me laugh....lol. My team was the last team put together. I had a little boy named CJ who had these big glasses and could barely run and was afraid of the ball. Then I had a special needs girl who would go full close line of the other teams players. She was a great kid but did not like it when someone took the ball away from her. My dd was still trying to figure out the great game and towards the end of the season, a big time coach from Arsenal South emailed me and the rest is history. I will say I had to go up against the top team and Mr. Dad Coach. This guy was a smartass and thought he knew the game better then the other dads. His team was stacked! We had to play his team twice and twice it was over before the first 5 minutes. He showed mercy after 10-0. What got under my skin and my ego was when he told me he could run one of our practices to help us improve. Well, the second time we played them we play super hard and let the girl go all out and I taught CJ that the ball was from an alien planet and dude went crazy. We still lost. Coach dad told me to get my players under control and I just smiled and we told the kids to play harder. Dude pulled his kids off the field because the girl on our team was going nuts. This is true story. I told the guy to relax and stop being so intense and he got all mad.
Cush, I think I may have coached against that guy! One coach told me - after a 10-1 thumping - that he had "let" my team score in the 4th quarter. Gee, dude, thanks for letting me know - - and half our team overheard him. Classy!

It's such a mental and emotional rollercoaster for most kids. It's easier to get demoted when they are very young.
Whey my little girl was 7 she was demoted from a low level flight 2 team to a flight 3 team that was just forming. She was sad but at that age they just wanted to play. We found a great coach that focused on her footwork. Now she is on a flight 1 team and guesting with the ECRL team. Lesson Learned: I will not move her up unless she is dominating at her current level to avoid bench play and demotions in the future.
Hi SoccerFan4Life,

This just happened to my 8 year old daugther. I told her this afternoon. She was sad and had some tears. But its for the best. It was not much of surprise for me, but I was worried about how she would feel. She is upset, but happy she can still play and will make the best out of the new opportunity next season. Thank you for your advice.

Hi SoccerFan4Life,

This just happened to my 8 year old daugther. I told her this afternoon. She was sad and had some tears. But its for the best. It was not much of surprise for me, but I was worried about how she would feel. She is upset, but happy she can still play and will make the best out of the new opportunity next season. Thank you for your advice.
Happened to my kid at age 6.

- The next year the coach that demoted her begged us to come back because my kid tore up Flight 2.
- The next year after that coach was demoted from Flight 1 to Flight 3.
- Today that same coach is begging for any team to coach because nobody wants to play for her

You never know...

Back