Gets demoted?

the problem, as you imply, is not the coaches. Most coaches are good people just trying to do the best job they can. the problem is that the system requires them to bring in the win. Teams that lose get demoted, parents leave to go elsewhere, coaches lose their teams and get fired. Teams that get promoted take the best players, win the trophies, attract the big spenders. It's easier to recruit a kid that's already developed at whatever level your team is playing at (which means that kid is usually playing down a level from where they should be, unless you are already playing at the highest academy flight), than to take the years it takes to develop them (years which you may not have anyways if the team explodes or the kids leave).

The problem is always the parents. Parents who want consistent, high level training but don't want to pay what it costs. Parents who want their kid consistently playing the best competition where the college coaches are watching, but don't want to pay what it costs to travel to play there or for the tournament. Parents who expect their kid's coach to win every game but also get the best and most consistent long term training although those two things are inconsistent. Parents who demand that club coaches do whatever they want, despite constant club hopping and bashing the very people whom they expect to help them. Parents who get upset that their kid's club coach is talking to college coaches about anyone on the team besides their own kid on their own timeline. Parents who are upset that their kid isn't getting playing time at a college showcase because they told the coach that their kid is not going to play in college. Parents who are upset that the best kids on the team do what is best for themselves instead of what is best for their kid. Parents who keep blaming "the system" or anyone other than themselves when they aren't getting the unreasonable things that they want. Parents who are upset that college coaches are recruiting other people's kids "too early". Parents who are obsessed with their kid playing college (or pro) soccer while their kid is in middle school, instead of focusing on making them the best kid they can be. Honestly, if you are going to use the term "it is unfair" in a sentence complaining about kiddie soccer, the problem is you.

I'm so sorry nothing has changed for the better. I think its worse now. It's a complete mess and not good for the customer or the one doing all the hard work. The winners are easy to spot. We need serious regulations and rules of engagement. My kid is aging out soon. I'm always willing to share my experience with those who want real change. I get emails from all the clubs and their having tryouts for 4 year olds now for 12 month soccer development.

yeah , the 4 year olds are hilarious having just gone through this with mine . 1/2 the kids were crying in a parents lap, climbing the fence , or just flat out refusing to go back on the field

but, these clubs would not be having 2017 birth year teams if there were not customers for this

yeah , the 4 year olds are hilarious having just gone through this with mine . 1/2 the kids were crying in a parents lap, climbing the fence , or just flat out refusing to go back on the field

but, these clubs would not be having 2017 birth year teams if there were not customers for this
I would have had my dd out there, i won't lie. I got her out at 5 years old for AYSO. Moved up to Rec at 6 and then got recruited by every club in Temecula at 7 :) My dd team was undefeated in AYSO. I coached the rec team and we got killed. It was co-ed and I got tricked into coaching. I told the head guy that if he needed any help with set up and he looks at me and and says, "we need a coach." Like many have said, you dont have to be on a winning team to get recruited by the scouts :)

I would have had my dd out there, i won't lie. I got her out at 5 years old for AYSO. Moved up to Rec at 6 and then got recruited by every club in Temecula at 7 :) My dd team was undefeated in AYSO. I coached the rec team and we got killed. It was co-ed and I got tricked into coaching. I told the head guy that if he needed any help with set up and he looks at me and and says, "we need a coach." Like many have said, you dont have to be on a winning team to get recruited by the scouts :)

yeah this was basically 4 year olds play some fun games then break out into 3v3

there was a mini-Messi out there . So that’s who the 2017 surf team is for

I did the AYSO coaching with my daughter for a season, I enjoyed it , but I was so worried about parents feeling like I was favoring my daughter that I think I subbed her out more than any other player on the team. I also got annoyed at this one coach who insisted on having throw ins with 5 year olds instead of just kicking the ball back in. You have any idea how often the ball is out of bounds in a 5 year old game lol?

yeah this was basically 4 year olds play some fun games then break out into 3v3

there was a mini-Messi out there . So that’s who the 2017 surf team is for

I did the AYSO coaching with my daughter for a season, I enjoyed it , but I was so worried about parents feeling like I was favoring my daughter that I think I subbed her out more than any other player on the team. I also got annoyed at this one coach who insisted on having throw ins with 5 year olds instead of just kicking the ball back in. You have any idea how often the ball is out of bounds in a 5 year old game lol?
Oh boy, you just made me laugh....lol. My team was the last team put together. I had a little boy named CJ who had these big glasses and could barely run and was afraid of the ball. Then I had a special needs girl who would go full close line of the other teams players. She was a great kid but did not like it when someone took the ball away from her. My dd was still trying to figure out the great game and towards the end of the season, a big time coach from Arsenal South emailed me and the rest is history. I will say I had to go up against the top team and Mr. Dad Coach. This guy was a smartass and thought he knew the game better then the other dads. His team was stacked! We had to play his team twice and twice it was over before the first 5 minutes. He showed mercy after 10-0. What got under my skin and my ego was when he told me he could run one of our practices to help us improve. Well, the second time we played them we play super hard and let the girl go all out and I taught CJ that the ball was from an alien planet and dude went crazy. We still lost. Coach dad told me to get my players under control and I just smiled and we told the kids to play harder. Dude pulled his kids off the field because the girl on our team was going nuts. This is true story. I told the guy to relax and stop being so intense and he got all mad.

It's such a mental and emotional rollercoaster for most kids. It's easier to get demoted when they are very young.
Whey my little girl was 7 she was demoted from a low level flight 2 team to a flight 3 team that was just forming. She was sad but at that age they just wanted to play. We found a great coach that focused on her footwork. Now she is on a flight 1 team and guesting with the ECRL team. Lesson Learned: I will not move her up unless she is dominating at her current level to avoid bench play and demotions in the future.

My kid attended a tryout with a big club. Some 20-30 new kids were there. After day one, they announced they will take every kid that showed up. Cha-ching. We will take their money first then worry about where to put them. Parents are not that stupid.

My kid attended a tryout with a big club. Some 20-30 new kids were there. After day one, they announced they will take every kid that showed up. Cha-ching. We will take their money first then worry about where to put them. Parents are not that stupid.
"We have good news girls, you all made the club. Welcome to the family."

It is sad, but many parents are that stupid, specially the ones with the first child playing soccer. The excitement that their child made a big club is all they need at that moment. I've had a conversation with a parent like this in the past and it went like this:

-my kid went to a tryout at (insert the name here) and have been offered a spot, we are so excited!
-what level team?
-don't know
-who is the coach?
-don't know....wait a second, not sure why we didn't ask about that
-still considering the spot?
-not sure anymore.....

Are you paying the same amount of money for say Surf”s 3rd and 4th team that you would be for the F1 team? This would be for the Ulittle age groups

That's why some clubs go 7 teams deep at certain age groups.

I was chatting with a parent. Their kid has offers from two clubs and they are thinking about playing for both clubs.
It might be a smart move. Cover your bets. My pal's kid loved his new coach and was all excited but then the new coach bailed before he was coach and now the new coach of this new team is full of players that this new coach is bringing. He had another offer but went all in because he bought into the brand and not reality. It sucks and dad is not happy

I think you need to take a step back and accept the fact that soccer clubs are businesses. The only stupid parents are the ones who believe there is something wrong with a club making money or trying to bring in enough players to field complete teams. Sometimes financial success requires making offers to 20-30 kids in order to get the 15 or so that are needed to field a second team. It is also impossible for a club to know where it is going to put kids, or even whether it will have enough to form a second team at all, until it has determined who is going to accept an offer, so they often rightfully err on the side of caution.

Honestly, it's pretty nutty that you're upset about the prospect of your kid playing for a club that is financially successful, but by all means feel free to find the shitty unstable ones that are having a hard time filling one roster instead of two. In reality, and we've all seen this 100x, you are really worried because you are worried your kid isn't good enough to make the A team and you don't want to run the risk your kid will end up on the B team. But that's not the club's problem, and shame on you for being upset with a club for trying to to what is best for the kids overall (rather than just yours) by making room for everyone who wants to play soccer. The soccer landscape is littered with plenty of small clubs that are desperate for players to play on their A team, so go find one of those.

I think you need to take a step back and accept the fact that soccer clubs are businesses. The only stupid parents are the ones who believe there is something wrong with a club making money or trying to bring in enough players to field complete teams. Sometimes financial success requires making offers to 20-30 kids in order to get the 15 or so that are needed to field a second team. It is also impossible for a club to know where it is going to put kids, or even whether it will have enough to form a second team at all, until it has determined who is going to accept an offer, so they often rightfully err on the side of caution.

Honestly, it's pretty nutty that you're upset about the prospect of your kid playing for a club that is financially successful, but by all means feel free to find the shitty unstable ones that are having a hard time filling one roster instead of two. In reality, and we've all seen this 100x, you are really worried because you are worried your kid isn't good enough to make the A team and you don't want to run the risk your kid will end up on the B team. But that's not the club's problem, and shame on you for being upset with a club for trying to to what is best for the kids overall (rather than just yours) by making room for everyone who wants to play soccer. The soccer landscape is littered with plenty of small clubs that are desperate for players to play on their A team, so go find one of those.
Yes shame on me for thinking a tryout is for talent identification. If you are taking everybody, don't call it a tryout.

Back