Galway Downs - Rain or shine?

The fields can take it, the parking is another issue. Galway Downs is Bermud grass, so it can take the abuse of play in the rain. The problem will be how much. .25 inches ... no problem, but .5 inches are going to be a problem with every facility in SoCal. Saturday is light rain. Sunday is when the most rain comes in, but this is SoCal so who knows. Parking at Galway is dirt and road base. Good news is there won't be a dirt problem, but were shoes that can take walking on wet dirt (aka mud) if it rains.

The fields can take it, the parking is another issue. Galway Downs is Bermud grass, so it can take the abuse of play in the rain. The problem will be how much. .25 inches ... no problem, but .5 inches are going to be a problem with every facility in SoCal. Saturday is light rain. Sunday is when the most rain comes in, but this is SoCal so who knows. Parking at Galway is dirt and road base. Good news is there won't be a dirt problem, but were shoes that can take walking on wet dirt (aka mud) if it rains.
If it rains, plan on them increasing parking from $10 to $15.

I was there during the thanks giving storm and they didn't stop any games. I broke two umbrellas that's day thanks to the strong winds and heavy rain. my wagon had clumps of mudd on its wheels for weeks. The parking is so slippery with mudd.Don't plan on them cancelling.

Best of luck!

I was there during the thanks giving storm and they didn't stop any games. I broke two umbrellas that's day thanks to the strong winds and heavy rain. my wagon had clumps of mudd on its wheels for weeks. The parking is so slippery with mudd.Don't plan on them cancelling.

Best of luck!

Cal South Soccer

1f6a8.png
Attention
1f6a8.png

‪All fields at Galway Downs are closed for the rest of the day. An updated game schedule will be posted Monday night‬

Nice going Cal South and galway downs!
Waited until our girls were warmed up, checked in and standing in formation to begin the match to cancel.
Great way for my DD to end her 12 year club soccer career.
No reschedule, her entire team has prom next weekend!
It's been a hoot! Adios Muchachos!

Nice going Cal South and galway downs!
Waited until our girls were warmed up, checked in and standing in formation to begin the match to cancel.
Great way for my DD to end her 12 year club soccer career.
No reschedule, her entire team has prom next weekend!
It's been a hoot! Adios Muchachos!
Was it a national cup game? My dd played this morning at 9am in pouring rain the entire game. But as far as rescheduling, wouldn't you have been playing next Saturday anyway if you advanced since it's round of 16? A couple of ours have prom but we play at 9am thanksfully. Did they give you your $10 parking back?

Was it a national cup game? My dd played this morning at 9am in pouring rain the entire game. But as far as rescheduling, wouldn't you have been playing next Saturday anyway if you advanced since it's round of 16? A couple of ours have prom but we play at 9am thanksfully. Did they give you your $10 parking back?
Yes it was a National Cup game. Unfortunately, we were already eliminated from moving to the next round, thus "my DD's final match".
It didn't matter to the tournament so much, but it did to me only because I was hoping to get some video and pics for old time sakes.
We were told to show our parking stubs on the way out for a refund but the attendant was out of cash when we asked so we marked it up to club soccer expense and drove the 2 hours home feeling ripped off by the weather. (in defense of the venue, there were people that had pulled over to wait for the parking attendant to find some cash, we were just ready to go...)
Best of luck to you all!
Kevin

Cal South, 5 injuries today in the previous game before our game on Field 3. We (Rush BU18 Galway Downs game #187664 on field 4) playing in the pouring rain, nothing but slipping and sliding and the boys risking serious injuries throughout the entire game. Thank god! We only had 3 injuries while forced to play in this horrible field and weather conditions. The game consisted of playing in the mud the entire game. The referees couldn't believe we were forced to play under these conditions. I addressed our concerns with the referee before the game but he stated that they were instructed to continue all games and to contact Cal South with any other concerns. We tried looking for Cal South Representatives but none were around field 1-4. Cars being stuck in parking lot. The same field conditions continued and to our surprise they cancelled the rest of the games following our game "how fair is that"? I tried contacting any Calsouth representative before and during our game with no luck. We have asked Calsouth to give us a full explanation as to why we were forced to play under these conditions or face a forfeit without worrying for the kids safety, Now my kid is injured along with 2 others for forcing them to play under these unplayable field conditions. We parents should all speak up as this is unacceptable. We as parents get held accountable when we yell something to the referees but when is the referee wrong? They needed to be more responsible and never should have allowed this game to be played. We are a 3rd generation soccer family with Cal South ties and have never been as disappointed as we are today. Horrible and careless Cal South representation today. Not to mention nowhere in sight on field 1-4 where the fields were in such bad shapes. I hope nobody else was seriously hurt but if you were please let Calsouth hear you loud and clear.

Sorry you got injuries but that's sports. If wet conditions were inherently dangerous then there'd be very few game splayed in Europe. I applaud CalSouth for trying to play through. Once they get waterlogged or there's lightning it's a different matter.

Now, CalSouth's late communication is one of myriad problems with them. It's not good enough.

Sorry Mr Futboldad, I agree injuries are part of the game, nobody is contesting that. The field was not playable though, if they cancelled the later games then the games at 9 & 11am should have been cancelled as well is what I'm contesting. Field was unplayable since 9:00am. Unfortunaly not having Calsouth representation present was the problem. Trust me, had they seen the fields they would have called the games. I can send you pictures and video so you can see for yourself if you would have appreciated your precious ones to play under those conditions.

I will say that the lower fields held up well earlier in the rain. Our 9am game had decent filed conditions and the ground help up well despite the down pours. The girls weren't slipping or anything - just freezing and soaked. The parking lot and dirt walking to bathrooms was another story though

Soccermama, unless you are familiar with fields 1-4 that sit between an actual racetrack you would understand that it looked more like a pond then a soccer field. I agree with the lower fields status, after getting out of the mud from field 4, I drove around towards the lower fields and they looked perfect with no puddles. Unfortunately for us we didnt have 10 feet of space without mud and puddles throughout the entire field.

Soccermama, unless you are familiar with fields 1-4 that sit between an actual racetrack you would understand that it looked more like a pond then a soccer field. I agree with the lower fields status, after getting out of the mud from field 4, I drove around towards the lower fields and they looked perfect with no puddles. Unfortunately for us we didnt have 10 feet of space without mud and puddles throughout the entire field.
Oh I know he fields well and I'm sure they were horrible. Not to mention the entire parking area. Personally I thought in dry weather they looked horrible during state cup finals there! I was just saying that I was thankful the lower ones held up so that our girls could play and leave injury free. I'm sorry to hear about the unsafe conditions on the upper ones.

IMG_5009.JPG IMG_5011.JPG IMG_5013.JPG
Sorry Mr Futboldad, I agree injuries are part of the game, nobody is contesting that. The field was not playable though, if they cancelled the later games then the games at 9 & 11am should have been cancelled as well is what I'm contesting. Field was unplayable since 9:00am. Unfortunately not having Calsouth representation present was the problem. Trust me, had they seen the fields they would have called the games. I can send you pictures and video so you can see for yourself if you would have appreciated your precious ones to play under those conditions.

Here are a few pictures for those that didn't get to see the quality of fields at Galway Downs that Cal South forced our Boys to play in.

Soccermama I'm glad you have common sense, apparently Cal South and some on the thread thought otherwise. I guess safety was never a concern from anyone at Cal South.

I tried to plead with the refs before the game and during the half with the referee, Referee said that Cal South advised them to play all games. That they needed to get these games in today. I told the referee that I was concerned for the safety of my boys a well as his, he just smiled and said he would be fine. I went to look for any Cal South representative but nobody was around Fields 1-4. I also called the National Cup number and emailed them twice but of course no answer to anything, I didn't even receive a courtesy call from anyone at Cal South asking about how my boys were. As for my injured son I have an appointment at Kaiser for him tomorrow. Could be an MCL injury. The other 2 boys I will follow up with later today.

Back