GA (Girls Academy) League and DPL- Anyone?

At the showcase this weekend, we saw plenty of 2007 ecnl players for multiple clubs getting time on the 2006 ecnl team instead of 2006 ecrl players getting that opportunity.
The club and team doing this should be ashamed. Their entire ecrl team should leave at once and go somewhere else. Or, just play high school this winter and not return till tryouts somewhere else. No college scout is interested in a 2007 player anywhere right now. Since the entire purpose of last weekend was college looks, playing 2007s over available 2006s is disrespectful and completely anti-player. Unless no 2006 player on that ecrl squad wants to play college soccer. On every team last weekend, every player on the roster should have gotten PT. My kid's 2005 team played everyone in every game, and likely didn't perform as well because of it. But that's completely okay and the way it should be. W/L don't matter to the scouts.

Of course that is also by design to make sure no DPL team ever gives an ECNL team a good game.

A few DPL teams played ECNL teams at Silverlakes Thaksgiving before Covid and the results were very ugly for the DPL teams....if they are not scheduled it's because it is not a close matchup meaning parents are not going to be happy on either sideline....for Youngers there is the infamous Fram DPL thread too....

@LouSag has it totally correct

The club and team doing this should be ashamed. Their entire ecrl team should leave at once and go somewhere else. Or, just play high school this winter and not return till tryouts somewhere else. No college scout is interested in a 2007 player anywhere right now. Since the entire purpose of last weekend was college looks, playing 2007s over available 2006s is disrespectful and completely anti-player. Unless no 2006 player on that ecrl squad wants to play college soccer. On every team last weekend, every player on the roster should have gotten PT. My kid's 2005 team played everyone in every game, and likely didn't perform as well because of it. But that's completely okay and the way it should be. W/L don't matter to the scouts.
Mostly true.

A few kids skip grades. A 2007 kid could be a sophomore or junior. Hard to do that and stay ECNL, but I'm sure some kids manage it.

Well, if the clubs promised ecrl players opportunities to play ecnl, then I suppose you're right. However, unless this was explicitly promised as part of signing up for ecrl, then I see no issue in what the teams did last weekend. If people blindly signed up for ecrl thinking that would give them ecnl opportunities, then they were being naive. The 07s we saw playing were very good players and likely better than any of the the clubs 06 ecrl players. And, in at least one instance, a college coach asked a club coach about the 07 player, so it wasn't completely "anti-player".

The "your kid will be on the 2nd team but will have the opportunity to play on the 1st and maybe move up permanently" is one of the biggest and most told lies in youth soccer. If as a parent you haven't figured that out by the time your kid is ECNL/MLS Next/GA age then you just can't blame the club for not living up to its promises. You have to shoulder some of that responsibility.

Of course that is also by design to make sure no DPL team ever gives an ECNL team a good game.
It's very easy to find games on YSR where DPL teams beat ECNL teams! Unless you're one of those ECNL dads desperate to convince yourself you're not wasting your money, I guess.

A few kids skip grades. A 2007 kid could be a sophomore or junior. Hard to do that and stay ECNL, but I'm sure some kids manage it.
Fair point. Agree with you if the 2007s were 2024 grads. I didn't get that impression from the post though.

The 07s we saw playing were very good players and likely better than any of the the clubs 06 ecrl players
I'm sure they were. And I'm sure that's why the coaches asked them to play up (if they were playing up)...to win. But a 2007/2025 grad has an entire year more of getting college scout looks and opportunities than a 2006/2024 grad. And, she's 1.5 years out from being able to have any sort of conversation with a coach.

A club's goal should be to get as many of their players (customers) placed into the next level, regardless of their ability level. An opportunity is an opportunity, maybe it's not a P5 D1 for the ecrl player, but maybe it's a D2 small school that is willing to give them some money. Not giving the ecrl player the shot prevents her from the chance. Also, bringing up a 2025 takes showcase minutes away from other 2024 ecnl players already on the team (unless they had zero or too few subs). I'm not saying ecrl players should be brought up if the ecnl showcase roster is already full or close to full. But, if players are needed, the right thing to do is give one or a couple of your similarly aged ecrl players a chance to prove themselves, even if it costs your team a goal(s). But, as we know, some clubs do not operate in the best interests of their players and families. #WsOnly

It's very easy to find games on YSR where DPL teams beat ECNL teams! Unless you're one of those ECNL dads desperate to convince yourself you're not wasting your money, I guess.
And DPL teams are getting great exposure to college coaches too!
Of course some DPL teams beat ECNL teams…there are some poor ECNL teams. There are no absolutes. I’ve seen Hoosiers…it’s a great story. Go DPL!!!!

Let me clear up what appears to be a fairly common misconception, when it comes to "next man up" for games and such, that next girl or boy up is typically going to come from the younger 1st team and not the same age 2nd team at the ECNL/GA/MLS Next level. If you think about the Clubs' focus on winning that makes sense, why would you bring up an end of bench player when you could bring up a player near the top of your lineup.

Now I get that a Showcase is different but still the Club's priority is going to be to their ECNL players (no offense but it is an ECNL showcase and not an ECRL showcase). Would it have been a nice gesture to bring up an ECRL player? Absolutely, 100%, but there was no obligation to do so unless players were told otherwise. Does ECRL not have showcases they can participate in? I thought they did. If your looking for equity you're going to be sorely disappointed in youth soccer.

Additionally, its not uncommon for showcases to include U15/2007 teams (MLS Next does) as many of these kids are in HS (I have an 07 still in 8th) and they will draw interest from coaches.

Dose of reality here, ECRL/DPL/EA are typically not stepping stones to ECNL/GA/MLS Next teams. The former is more marketing of a carrot on stick than anything else to separate you from your $$$.

Now should it be different, yeah probably, but that's the reality. We can blame clubs all we want and they deserve most of it. But again, by the time your kid reaches this age group you should know better. We all have to be more realistic about our kids abilities (particularly in relation to other players in the program) and consider that in light of what we are promised by the club.

Let me clear up what appears to be a fairly common misconception, when it comes to "next man up" for games and such, that next girl or boy up is typically going to come from the younger 1st team and not the same age 2nd team at the ECNL/GA/MLS Next level. If you think about the Clubs' focus on winning that makes sense, why would you bring up an end of bench player when you could bring up a player near the top of your lineup.

Now I get that a Showcase is different but still the Club's priority is going to be to their ECNL players (no offense but it is an ECNL showcase and not an ECRL showcase). Would it have been a nice gesture to bring up an ECRL player? Absolutely, 100%, but there was no obligation to do so unless players were told otherwise. Does ECRL not have showcases they can participate in? I thought they did. If your looking for equity you're going to be sorely disappointed in youth soccer.

Additionally, its not uncommon for showcases to include U15/2007 teams (MLS Next does) as many of these kids are in HS (I have an 07 still in 8th) and they will draw interest from coaches.

Dose of reality here, ECRL/DPL/EA are typically not stepping stones to ECNL/GA/MLS Next teams. The former is more marketing of a carrot on stick than anything else to separate you from your $$$.

Now should it be different, yeah probably, but that's the reality. We can blame clubs all we want and they deserve most of it. But again, by the time your kid reaches this age group you should know better. We all have to be more realistic about our kids abilities (particularly in relation to other players in the program) and consider that in light of what we are promised by the club.
If you are choosing an ECRL team, and the club uses the ECNL team as bait, then it’s perfectly reasonable to ask how many ECRL players were rostered for the most recent ECNL showcase.

Similarly, if you are looking for a younger ECNL team, and the club uses playing up as bait, then it is reasonable to ask how many ECNL players were allowed to play up at the last showcase.

That will give you an idea what the odds really are. For most clubs, the odds are very low. Bait is just bait, and you’re better off ignoring it.

f your looking for equity you're going to be sorely disappointed in youth soccer.
Interestingly I do a lot of consumer/generational trend analysis for work and if you look at the next generation of parents (Gen Y) who will take over from Gen X as the majority stakeholders in youth sports over the next 10 years, they care a lot about equity and are significantly less competitive as a group than Gen X. They are also pretty sour about their college experience. It will be interesting to see how they impact the current youth sports system with their consumer choices. My guess would be that the pay to play youth competitive sports industry will shrink or stay stagnant and there will be a revitalization of community and school sports.

Interestingly I do a lot of consumer/generational trend analysis for work and if you look at the next generation of parents (Gen Y) who will take over from Gen X as the majority stakeholders in youth sports over the next 10 years, they care a lot about equity and are significantly less competitive as a group than Gen X. They are also pretty sour about their college experience. It will be interesting to see how they impact the current youth sports system with their consumer choices. My guess would be that the pay to play youth competitive sports industry will shrink or stay stagnant and there will be a revitalization of community and school sports.
That's interesting. If it creates more balance I'm all for it, particularly if it revitalizes community and school sports. Let's be honest 80% of club soccer is just glorified rec soccer. My concern is if it goes too far and eliminates winners and losers. We don't want competitive sports to be eliminated like dodgeball has.

100%. And for those wanting competition, shifting to individual-based sports to eliminate dealing with all the parent politics and talent id subjectivity that comes with team sports; soccer being the most subjective sport of all.

In regards to DPL/ECRL/ECNL competition, it will be interesting to see who wins the 2009G Socal State cup elite level this year. At this Elite level, you have 7 ECRL teams, 2 DPL teams. 1 ECNL team, and all others are discovery/flight 1. LAFC SoCal is the only ECNL team in this group but many of the ECRL teams have added ECNL players to their rosters.

I would love to see more top teams do this competition in future years at least for the younger age groups. I understand that College Showcases are more important for the high school ECNL teams but it means nothing for the younger groups.

The "your kid will be on the 2nd team but will have the opportunity to play on the 1st and maybe move up permanently" is one of the biggest and most told lies in youth soccer. If as a parent you haven't figured that out by the time your kid is ECNL/MLS Next/GA age then you just can't blame the club for not living up to its promises. You have to shoulder some of that responsibility.
100%. Or a top developer of soccer talent says, "Look Mr. Jones, I like your ds/dd and they have potential & show some promise to be Elite some day. This is where I come in sir. Right now, I see your kid on the bench with A team and starting on the B team. If you pay me for my 6 month development program, I will make sure your kid stays on the A team and sniff some memorable minutes. All your kid needs to do is the work and all you need to do is pay me each month."

If you are choosing an ECRL team, and the club uses the ECNL team as bait, then it’s perfectly reasonable to ask how many ECRL players were rostered for the most recent ECNL showcase.

Similarly, if you are looking for a younger ECNL team, and the club uses playing up as bait, then it is reasonable to ask how many ECNL players were allowed to play up at the last showcase.

That will give you an idea what the odds really are. For most clubs, the odds are very low. Bait is just bait, and you’re better off ignoring it.
The problem with your scenario is that most, if not all, players on the ECNL team make sure they are available to play in showcases. So there is no room for players to be pulled up. Your scenario is not fair. ECRL players often play up for ECNL teams in league games at the Blues. I have seen it at all of the older ages.

The problem with your scenario is that most, if not all, players on the ECNL team make sure they are available to play in showcases. So there is no room for players to be pulled up. Your scenario is not fair. ECRL players often play up for ECNL teams in league games at the Blues. I have seen it at all of the older ages.
While I am sure most ECNL girls want to be at all showcase games, I am also sure most older teams had missing players at the showcase last weekend due to injuries. Unfortunately, this is just the reality the older the girls get. I also don't think your comment about Blues older ages is correct, at least not so far this year.

While I am sure most ECNL girls want to be at all showcase games, I am also sure most older teams had missing players at the showcase last weekend due to injuries. Unfortunately, this is just the reality the older the girls get. I also don't think your comment about Blues older ages is correct, at least not so far this year.
The U17 and U16 Blues ECNL teams have both used ECRL players this year in multiple league games this fall. The U19 ECNL team has a player on it this year that used to be on the ECRL team. And, they used a current ECRL player in a game.

I think what people are saying (without saying it) is that ECRL at Surf is worthless.

Typically Surf recruits over bringing up from within.

Other clubs do bring up ECRL to play on ECNL when the move is warranted. Also with the new changes allowing NL/RL to play on either team the push is to allow more movement.

Back