GA (Girls Academy) League and DPL- Anyone?

In my opinion SoCal should have one league with divisions (name them whatever), like Coast used to be. Ditch ECNL. Let the rest of the country come to SoCal if they want to play against our top teams. I promise the college coaches would come.
Most of "us" know this. Why can't the club directors recognize this and put their foot down? It just takes 2 or 3 of them to say "This is dumb. We can play locally for league games and travel for tournaments if we need college exposure outside of the big tournaments at Silverlakes and Del Mar"

GAL Members in SoCal https://girlsacademyleague.com/members/ :
  1. Albion San Diego
  2. City SC
  3. LA Surf
  4. Murrieta Soccer Academy
  5. SDSC-Surf
  6. West Coast

DPL Members in SoCal. https://dpleague.org/members/
  1. Albion San Diego
  2. City SC
  3. LA Surf
  4. West Coast
  5. San Diego Force
  6. San Diego Soccer Club
  7. Liverpool FC SoCal
  8. Murrieta Soccer Academy
  9. Santa Barbara Soccer Club
  10. Fram Soccer Club
  11. Santa Monica Surf

In my opinion it should look like this.

1. ECNL should be for those players looking to play profesional level soccer or top D1 schools, youth USA national teams

2. discovery should be: D1 (mid to low), D2, private schools.

3. Rest of flights is just for fun.
Too complex for time/resource constrained college programs. So if you want to go to a private school (Santa Clara, USC, etc) you should play in a percieved lower tiered league?

Since we are reaching for the stars, level the playing field, minimize pay to play. Design a SOCAL league that is talent based, not demographic based.

Wishful thinking I know but would be nice.

In my opinion it should look like this.

1. ECNL should be for those players looking to play profesional level soccer or top D1 schools, youth USA national teams

2. discovery should be: D1 (mid to low), D2, private schools.

3. Rest of flights is just for fun.

Nah there are/where players yesterday to D1 from a lot more places vs just ECNL including DPL.

A league doesn't and never should define what potential any player may have to continue playing beyond the youth circuits.

Leagues are or should be based on geography and/or flighted around play level. High school and college does this so can club sports if there is a will.

Blah blah blah ... my toy is better than your toy ... who cares!

For a matter of fact not 1 person can turn around and say this league is better than that league (on a whole with all the factors - level of play, organisation, showcases etc all the things that make a league) because no one can possibly be at enough games in ECNL and GA to compare or experience both with enough depth.
The funny thing is there is another thread calling out poor ECNL teams and clubs... so which is it??

Bottom line is exposure! Check out the ECNL and GA college coaches lists for showcases, they are the same and the same quantity bar a tiny variation! so does it matter which league you play in? NO! Your kid whether in ECNL or GA is in the best spot to be seen, that is fact.
ECRL doesn't have the level of attention locally or nationally at showcases yet and SoCal/Discovery league you doesn't compare to ECNL or GA either.

Just play for the closest GA or ECNL team in your area, chose the club and coach that will develop you the best also and move on.

For the record my opinion is that if you take ECNL & GA in each age group, the top 5-6 teams/clubs per age group are playing in ECNL, below this is much of the same, all the other clubs position 7 to 23 (total ECNL and GA clubs) would be mixed reasonably evenly.

Maybe if we all keep saying this- Somebody will listen, someday. Let the rest of the country fumble around with made-up "elite" leagues. SoCal should have ECNL and a local league.

Absolutely! Every player in Socal would benefit from this.

It's interesting (and normal considering the forum) that most of the comments on this thread seem to come from parents of players. At the highest level + logically it makes sense for the best players to play against the best players that are also closest to them.

What parents don't see is that if their favorite/local club isnt involved in XYZ super league 99% of the time it's because of current and/or previous club leadership.

Often leadership positions in clubs pay 250k+. As long as the club is fielding enough teams to cover everyone's salary why rock the boat.

This is why it's important to press for change by changing clubs. Its truly the only way to make people in leadership positions nervous.

Blah blah blah ... my toy is better than your toy ... who cares!

For a matter of fact not 1 person can turn around and say this league is better than that league (on a whole with all the factors - level of play, organisation, showcases etc all the things that make a league) because no one can possibly be at enough games in ECNL and GA to compare or experience both with enough depth.
The funny thing is there is another thread calling out poor ECNL teams and clubs... so which is it??

Bottom line is exposure! Check out the ECNL and GA college coaches lists for showcases, they are the same and the same quantity bar a tiny variation! so does it matter which league you play in? NO! Your kid whether in ECNL or GA is in the best spot to be seen, that is fact.
ECRL doesn't have the level of attention locally or nationally at showcases yet and SoCal/Discovery league you doesn't compare to ECNL or GA either.

Just play for the closest GA or ECNL team in your area, chose the club and coach that will develop you the best also and move on.

For the record my opinion is that if you take ECNL & GA in each age group, the top 5-6 teams/clubs per age group are playing in ECNL, below this is much of the same, all the other clubs position 7 to 23 (total ECNL and GA clubs) would be mixed reasonably evenly.
I will be interested to see if GA can keep the college coach attendance at this level next year. I think there were enough holdover players on GA teams last year and maybe even this year to keep college coaches attention. We will see if that is still true next season.

For what it's worth...
Our dd played on a top GA team last year (made it to the national championship weekend) and moved to ECNL this year. We know of several girls at several age groups who also made the same move as our daughter. Having watched GA showcases, playoffs and the championship last year, it is clear to us that the level of play at the ECNL showcase the last three days is well above the level of play in GA last year. We liked the GA last year, thought the national events were run extremely well and college coach attendance was amazing. There are still some good coaches and players in GA. If the choice for our dd was GA or ECRL, we would likely have stuck with GA.

The ECRL vs GA argument is interesting.

GA will definately role out the red carpet for "B" level players with $$$. This might be the perfect place for a kid that's on their way up and + just needs some attention.

ECNL recently changed it so ECNL rostered players can play ECRL and vice versa. The only rule is that both ECNL and ECRL can only play one game per day. What this means is that ECNL rostered players can play in ECNL games.

The downside of ECRL is most clubs dont put much resources behind those type of teams. Personally I think this will change as clubs start to figure out that both ECNL/RL is just a big pool of players. Might as well throw as many players in the pool to see who sinks and/or swims.

GA will definately role out the red carpet for "B" level players with $$$. This might be the perfect place for a kid that's on their way up and + just needs some attention.

ECNL recently changed it so ECNL rostered players can play ECRL and vice versa. The only rule is that both ECNL and ECRL can only play one game per day. What this means is that ECNL rostered players can play in ECNL games.

The downside of ECRL is most clubs dont put much resources behind those type of teams. Personally I think this will change as clubs start to figure out that both ECNL/RL is just a big pool of players. Might as well throw as many players in the pool to see who sinks and/or swims.
I am sure some ecrl players get some ecnl time, but we haven't seen that happen too much. At one club we know well, they even told the families up front that there would be zero opportunities for their ecrl players to get ecnl time. At the showcase this weekend, we saw plenty of 2007 ecnl players for multiple clubs getting time on the 2006 ecnl team instead of 2006 ecrl players getting that opportunity.

I am sure some ecrl players get some ecnl time, but we haven't seen that happen too much. At one club we know well, they even told the families up front that there would be zero opportunities for their ecrl players to get ecnl time. At the showcase this weekend, we saw plenty of 2007 ecnl players for multiple clubs getting time on the 2006 ecnl team instead of 2006 ecrl players getting that opportunity.
Thank you for sharing. I’ve been saying it for a few years. Ecrl is a scam that makes money for the clubs and that’s it. There’s no benefit outside to say that your player belongs to a four letter program.
Parents need to see this and move their players to GAL to get a chance to be on a college showcase or go down to fligjht 1.

If you're kid is a bottom 1/3rd ECNL player, ECRL is their opportunity to get PT (at the expense of the ECRL kids literally). That's been the trend lately.

No substitute for match play/fitness. That's how players develop.

It's interesting (and normal considering the forum) that most of the comments on this thread seem to come from parents of players. At the highest level + logically it makes sense for the best players to play against the best players that are also closest to them.

What parents don't see is that if their favorite/local club isnt involved in XYZ super league 99% of the time it's because of current and/or previous club leadership.

Often leadership positions in clubs pay 250k+. As long as the club is fielding enough teams to cover everyone's salary why rock the boat.

This is why it's important to press for change by changing clubs. Its truly the only way to make people in leadership positions nervous.
This is insightful and spot on. There is huge disparity in goal differential in both ECNL and GA between the top and the bottom across the regions this year. I'd say an argument that best in fact is not playing the best, gotta be some personality issues at play.

Rough (and very public) math here...and assuming most travel costs are captured...I'd say these leagues value having an out of state team/play in whichever conference at ~$3m/team/season (ECNL prices, less for GA with less teams).

Disagree with the changing clubs piece. I think it's hugely disruptive to kids and lessens the true benefits of playing team sports.

If you're kid is a bottom 1/3rd ECNL player, ECRL is their opportunity to get PT (at the expense of the ECRL kids literally). That's been the trend lately.

No substitute for match play/fitness. That's how players develop.
I agree that bubble ECNL players are playing ECRL so they can get more minutes. This is what I'm seeing at different clubs as well. It's fairly obvious when most of the ECNL team is ok and 2 maybe 3 are WAY better than all the rest.

Personally I don't believe this is an issue. ECNL rules only allow players to do 1 game per day. There's only 2 days per weekend. ECNL players can only play in certain ECRL games. This is a huge benefit for ECRL players because they get exposed to a higher level of play but from only 1 or 2 players at a time. (not an entire team)

This implies that ECNL will take in any club that has a demonstrated history of good leadership. You'll have to forgive me if I don't believe this is true. I expect there are some very well run clubs that would love to get into ECNL, have applied, and have been rejected for some other reason.
I think it works more like this.

Non-ECNL Club - "We have been around for years have solid financials and good coaches and would love to be in ECNL"
ECNL Clubs - "Your teams at the ENCL age groups are just not performing at a high enough level to be considered"
Non-ECNL Club - "That is because our best players all leave to join your ECNL clubs."
ECNL Clubs - "Right. Why would be give that up?"
Non-ECNL Club - "A$$holes"
ECNL Clubs - "We can't possibly let that club in, look their leadership has a potty mouth"

This implies that ECNL will take in any club that has a demonstrated history of good leadership. You'll have to forgive me if I don't believe this is true. I expect there are some very well run clubs that would love to get into ECNL, have applied, and have been rejected for some other reason.
I think it works more like this.

Non-ECNL Club - "We have been around for years have solid financials and good coaches and would love to be in ECNL"
ECNL Clubs - "Your teams at the ENCL age groups are just not performing at a high enough level to be considered"
Non-ECNL Club - "That is because our best players all leave to join your ECNL clubs."
ECNL Clubs - "Right. Why would be give that up?"
Non-ECNL Club - "A$$holes"
ECNL Clubs - "We can't possibly let that club in, look their leadership has a potty mouth"
This is when club Board of Directors need to step in and replace current leadership with those that have ECNL contacts + can get you into the league.

When things like this occur ECNL knows that clubs are serious.

This is when club Board of Directors need to step in and replace current leadership with those that have ECNL contacts + can get you into the league.

I would be surprised if BOD's actually have that power at many clubs.

So it is not about whether you can actually run a soccer club, it is whether you are one of the good ole boys. Got it.

My experience has been that ECRL (and some ECNL) players are more likely to "play down" on to a teams SoCalLeague roster than they are to play "up" to the ECNL roster.

My experience has been that ECRL (and some ECNL) players are more likely to "play down" on to a teams SoCalLeague roster than they are to play "up" to the ECNL roster.
I agree that this is happening but its going both ways. ECNL/RL players want to play in 2 games per day + playing in different leagues allows this. Socal players are being asked to play in ECNL/RL games because they dont have to follow the 1 game per day rule and can be used to fill our a roster on game day.

Of course this all depends on the Club + number of players they have. If rosters are completely full you wont see players moving around that much. (Outside of ECNL ringers playing on Socal teams for "fun")

DPL has been great this season! The travel is fine, the venues are great and the competition is good. Half our games are at home, and the furthest we have to go is 4 games in San Diego. Admittedly, there are a few teams who are not at a high enough level, but the other 7 teams have great quality games. GA/DPL are not going away any time soon, and in fact, they will be expanding next year. I guess we will find out how GA/DPL teams will do against ECNL/RL teams when tourneys start, but I am optimistic about how my daughter's team will fare against many of them. Having said that, it does appear that the top ECNL teams are still on a different level, but it wouldn't surprise me if we are nipping at their heels by next year this time.
DPL teams “nipping” at the heels of ECNL teams this time next year? That’s funny. “Top” ECNL teams…please.
DPL teams are rarely even given the opportunity to play ECNL teams. If you’re daughter is at an ECNL club that schedules DPL teams, run away fast. If you play DPL, you may see an ECRL team or two playing in National Cup, but that’s about it. I’m not trying to be mean, but DPL teams are not on the same, or nearly the same level as ECNL clubs, DMCV Sharks being the outlier (but MW will change that).

Back