First High School game for my daughter tonight. Excited to see it. Interesting journey to get there.

Prepare for lots of injuries and a lower level of competition across the board for every sport.
My kid's team experience (so far) has been cramps and light sprains but no real injuries (yet, and knock on wood). Competition level has increased in most of our games; all of the DA girls from the local DA clubs are now playing HS soccer - teams are stacked. DD's team picked up 3 players who were not able to play last year due to DA rules. All of the local high schools have added girls that were unable to play last year.

On a different note, after starting and playing every varsity game last year as a freshman, except senior night, new coach told her she needed to prove herself and earn playing time. DD was the player of the game on Monday and I think the coach has started come around.

my kid loves playing for her high school- mostly she wants to play with her friends and club ball has kind of lost that spirit for her. stay healthy, enjoy it.
My daughter was able to play her first high school game the other night (Dumb DA rule) as a junior. Had heard all sorts of things to the negative about HS play. She had a blast!!! Didn't hurt that her team was vastly better than the other, but just to be out there having fun with a sport she loves. No expectations, no recruiting pressure, others that just love playing the game!

Last game was a trip down memory lane for my wife and I.

Youngest is a GK and has a few games under her belt this season and this last game really had her on her toes with some weight on her shoulders. She kept it close in a game that the girls were outmatched in. Lost 2-1 in what should have been a win by 4+ goals by the other side. As she no longer plays club or trains exclusively with a GK trainer in over a year, certain aspects of her game aren't at her peak in terms of speed, but it's so amazing to see those instincts and fundamentals come into play like riding a bike. Given the "rust" we knew she'd have, she was still at least at 80% of her game and did some things we didn't think she would be able to do this quickly again.

I'd be more inclined to buy into her current club volleyball adventures if they allowed her to take out another player in a 1 vs 1 situation! :cool:

My daughter was able to play her first high school game the other night (Dumb DA rule) as a junior. Had heard all sorts of things to the negative about HS play. She had a blast!!! Didn't hurt that her team was vastly better than the other, but just to be out there having fun with a sport she loves. No expectations, no recruiting pressure, others that just love playing the game!
To this point, there is a lot more positives than negatives in HS soccer. Unfortunately most of negativity comes from club coaches who think otherwise.

That's awesome, my oldest DD was in a similar boat after missing her freshman season while in DA. It's good for them to have this experience in a similar but different setting from club.

Competition level has increased in most of our games; all of the DA girls from the local DA clubs are now playing HS soccer - teams are stacked.
Totally agree with the above statement. As a parent who has watched high school soccer (boys n girls) past few years, I can definitely attest that the playing level is MUCH better this year. I think every game I've seen so far has been a good mix of possession and direct. Very little kickball. Fouling and cards, minimal. Every kid I hear about LOVES playing for their school, especially the girls.

Tonight it is interclub team competition. My daughter and 3 of her club teammates face off against rival High School with 3 club players. Our coach said he didn't know what side to sit on. Should be fun.

Anyone ever use NFHS to watch streamed games?

Tonight it is interclub team competition. My daughter and 3 of her club teammates face off against rival High School with 3 club players. Our coach said he didn't know what side to sit on. Should be fun.

Does you coach have family members on one of the teams? Curious how spectators admissions work for your school?

Just about every game our son plays there are either club players he knows on the opposing teams or his current or Former teammates playing against. They generally take pictures with after the game so it's nice to catch up.

Sometimes his former or current mates with stick up for him with other players or parents and tell them to chill or tone it down since he's just playing his usually game and it's not personal.

My DD just finished her High School season, we live in Texas. This was her first year. She was a DA player her freshman year. The experience for her was night and day. She loves the High School experience, made friendships with girls she would never have approached and her coach is encouraging and enthusiastic. All those rumors swirling around from her club team about High School soccer never really came to fruition, just the opposite actually. Enjoy the season, it goes fast!

Does you coach have family members on one of the teams? Curious how spectators admissions work for your school?

Just about every game our son plays there are either club players he knows on the opposing teams or his current or Former teammates playing against. They generally take pictures with after the game so it's nice to catch up.

Sometimes his former or current mates with stick up for him with other players or parents and tell them to chill or tone it down since he's just playing his usually game and it's not personal.
Head coach no daughter on either team. Told my daughter to have a clean sheet then told two girls on the other team to score a goal. Not sure what side he will sit on.

4 fans per each player. They were really lax first game. We had about 40 spectators and road team had about 15. We plan on getting all the girls together for a group photo. They all play club game on Sunday.

I use the Nfhs and it's o.k...not great...no score or time on their digital scoreboard...so you really need to pay attention so not to miss anything...b.t.w...well playing you guys on Tuesday and I hope for a fun and safe game..

I could write you a note, or better yet, let me speak to your boss.
I have not missed a HSS game in all my dd games. I have to admit this, their more exciting then the club games the last three years. Its called Ganas :) I wrote my old boss email three years ago how important it is to me to be supportive of my dd HSS. He was like, "bro, 100% go and support your daughter. You have score board ((I produced so much revenue I could do whatever I wanted as long as I communicated the truth)).

I’m definitely in this camp re. HS soccer. :(. But I hope everyone has a blast cheering and then basking in relief after the game that there were no injuries!
Play possession and not kickball and way less injuries Gies. You obviously have been brainwashed by a Doc or two. Anytime you play hoops or soccer full speed, you can get hurt. Let's not attack HSS bro. It's a winner and it can be the bomb if people like you would stop with the propaganda :) Not all HSS play pass & go, but it';s getting way better because of Captain Obvious. I would say 90% of the past GDA players are playing HSS this year and its way better play today then when my dd was a trailblazer almost three years ago. I swear 2021/2022 SW ECNL will be like no other league. It will be epic!!! My dd HSS team is working from the back most of the time. Obviously if were playing a superior team of super skilled and faster players, well then it will be punt it as far away as possible, park the bus and hope to God for a soccer miracle :)

Last edited:
I hear ya Crush! Girls are working hard and yes, more quality players. Had some pretty hard collisions on Friday night but no injuries that I know of. In 3 games, our team has seen 2 red cards! Ouch.

I hear ya Crush! Girls are working hard and yes, more quality players. Had some pretty hard collisions on Friday night but no injuries that I know of. In 3 games, our team has seen 2 red cards! Ouch.
My dd got one yellow. Two reds is gnarly bro. I will say girls are tough and nasty to each other sometimes and it can get chippy when you have your school name and the pride that comes with it on your uniform. I remember playing Fullerton High Scholl back in 85. I just moved from Laguna to Troy HS because my father was dying of Parkinson's and just had to sacrifice and move inland from da beach. Not easy to do for a surfer like me but I'm glad I did move to help my dad in his last years of his life. I never talk about him because he suffered so much in his life Gies. Anyway, I was lonely and missed my pals from Laguna and had no friends at Troy except the fellas on the team. I was getting picked on because___________________________________________________ from a few big dudes on the football team. Anyway, this unknown sufer dude hit the game winner at The Pit and I was a hero. Everyone loved me after that shot, let me tell you. I went to after game party and let's just say it was a blast and after that game life was better, if you know what I mean :)

Freeway League : Edwards Lifts Troy to 53-51 Win - Los Angeles ...
https://www.latimes.com › archives › la-xpm-1985-01-...

Bill Edwards with six seconds left helped Troy High School upset Fullerton, 53-51, ... Freeway League : Edwards Lifts Troy to 53-51 Win. Jan. 19, 1985. 12 AM.

Back