ECNL expansion 2021-2022

I hear it is Utah Royals

I suppose there is a 50 50 chance it's them. I've "heard" that ECNL was open to accepting 2 teams from AZ but one has chosen to go at it alone in the state. It would make sense that Utah/RSL has made the decision to part ways with the GA and go ECNL in order to be consistent with their platform offerings - Boys are already in ECNL. The "other" club has always done it's own thing.

May cause a ripple down the road I guess. Let's see what parents do end of summer. Fun times but all shall survive..

I suppose there is a 50 50 chance it's them. I've "heard" that ECNL was open to accepting 2 teams from AZ but one has chosen to go at it alone in the state. It would make sense that Utah/RSL has made the decision to part ways with the GA and go ECNL in order to be consistent with their platform offerings - Boys are already in ECNL. The "other" club has always done it's own thing.

May cause a ripple down the road I guess. Let's see what parents do end of summer. Fun times but all shall survive..
I'd find it odd if Del Sol declined ECNL, that would be just weird.

I think for Royals it makes sense.

On the boys side they have ECNL and the MLS next. May as well call it a day and do ECNL on the girls side. If at some point the MLS clubs do something with girls, the Royals still have an in since they are currently tied in with RSL in Utah.

But we shall see if and what happens in the SW this year.

What is the story with Albion in San Diego? Seems like they were always pretty strong on the girls side (certainly better than clubs like the Sharks). They aren't playing ECNL, ECRL or GA?

What is the story with Albion in San Diego? Seems like they were always pretty strong on the girls side (certainly better than clubs like the Sharks). They aren't playing ECNL, ECRL or GA?

Many of their top girls teams broke apart when they lost DA last year, including their National champs 06 team.

Yeah I am not sure what the upside for del Sol declining ECNL would be.
I don't think SCDS has the numbers for GAL/DPL and ECNL. Their DPL team would struggle against APL in most age groups. If RSL has one thing its numbers. Now the quality of those numbers... ehhh... shmabey..

So you are theorizing RSL drops GA? Hmm not sure about that. If they are doing MLS and ECNL for the boys they would likely do GA and ECNL for the girls too.

I don't think SCDS has the numbers for GAL/DPL and ECNL. Their DPL team would struggle against APL in most age groups. If RSL has one thing its numbers. Now the quality of those numbers... ehhh... shmabey..

So you are theorizing RSL drops GA? Hmm not sure about that. If they are doing MLS and ECNL for the boys they would likely do GA and ECNL for the girls too.
Actually I am not theorizing. Happy said one might get the call or has accepted. Based on what he said I would assume Royals.

To be honest my opinion is if ECNL takes a team in AZ they take both for even numbers.

And if they grab 2 so cal teams I wouldn't be surprised to see them split the SW into a north and south. It will be interesting to see what happens if anything

Actually I am not theorizing. Happy said one might get the call or has accepted. Based on what he said I would assume Royals.

To be honest my opinion is if ECNL takes a team in AZ they take both for even numbers.

And if they grab 2 so cal teams I wouldn't be surprised to see them split the SW into a north and south. It will be interesting to see what happens if anything
Only other clubs I think may even have a chance would be CCV or Thunder... maybe... possibly Premier? But yea likely Royals. They would simply rebadge either GA or DPL to ECNL depending on what emphasis they want to keep.

Only other clubs I think may even have a chance would be CCV or Thunder... maybe... possibly Premier? But yea likely Royals. They would simply rebadge either GA or DPL to ECNL depending on what emphasis they want to keep.
None of the other clubs you mentioned would get an ECNL nod.

If ECNL takes more clubs in AZ it is del sol or Royals or both.

I'd find it odd if Del Sol declined ECNL, that would be just weird.
I agree. We'll never really know. They'll claim victory either way. If their staff remains intact, they'll keep hold of their core talent. Their college coach relationships run deep and their results are proven. We'll see end of summer. The older age groups are pretty stable across all 4 clubs. I don't think too many people will want to move.

But who knows..

I agree del Sol seems to have a numbers problem. I have talked about this a lot. They have issues numbers wise. Take a look at where and if they have 2nd teams are league wise

Del Sol certainly doesn't have the numbers to do both. Not their style either. They like to run small rosters and move key players in age groups around to fill gaps as needed. Maximizes playing time. When healthy, works like a dream. When not, well, not good. Big pros to small rosters, bigger cons to small rosters. Can't keep everyone happy though. They tend to stick to their guns on smaller rosters.

Makes sense for Royals to go, consolidate platforms for boys and girls. If offered ECRL, slide their DPL teams in, make that pool bigger.

They play their girls in the GA. Their Girls Academy staff is respected and pedigreed, with connections to YNTs, MNT and WMNT. Player parents seem very happy with the direction they are taking that program. Definitely some re-building going on in the aftermath of the DA implosion. More timely hiring might have averted some departures but stuff happens.

Back