ECNL expansion 2021-2022

I will never get over it until the assholes repent and say sorry. Bro, you have no clue on what your talking about. The GDA said every year they were going to allow HS Soccer. The only High School soccer allowed was for the rich and the waiver thing.

No doubt clubs played favorites when it came to HS. I'm not here to defend the GDA. I liked the idea of the GDA but it was poorly executed and it cost them. Too many desk jockeys involved.

And this may be an unpopular statement, but HS soccer is poorly played. I know why the players love it, I don't blame them. My oldest has done it every year. 2 of the 4 years he sat out half the season due to injury. And yes I know that injuries occur in club.

My DD will make up her own mind, but I prefer she not play. I will go watch if she decides to play. This year was a wash due to Covid and the late start to the HS season. She chose club. We will see what happens next year. 2 players on her team chose HS and both are out with injuries. Coincidence, maybe. There are injured players on the club team as well.

MEH.

ECNL has allowed cross competition in showcases. DA was the one not terribly interested (though occasionally you saw them play ECNL). So ECNL has allowed it, GA is saying yeah we are not going to live in a box and in showcases we will allow our clubs to play outside of GA.

Doesn't really move the needle in any meaningful way.

What would move the needle is if the ECNL national champs in each age group played the GA national champs in each age group for a combined national championship.

Then you would see a lot of interest.

That would indeed be meaningful. I think the point I'm trying to make is that there appears to be less animosity between the leadership of the two organizations, for now. Also appears to me that ECNL is self aware enough to know that rapid expansion and bloated conferences will lead to dilution. Lavers is setting the stage for the culling of low performing teams. Which is not a bad thing.

The GDA would only play ECNL teams when it was in their favor and could be leveraged as a recruiting tool. Silly if you ask me and added to the animosity.

The parent community and these types forums will always pitch one league against another, it's to be expected. The GA is young and has plenty to prove - they know this. As long as both platforms place players into collegiate programs, there is room for both, and room to brag who is better. Competition is good.

Lavers is setting the stage for the culling of low performing teams. Which is not a bad thing.
Not a bad thing.

I would prefer to see it done age specific vs club.

If you have a good U16 team, they stay ECNL. If the u17 underperforms they drop. And if they U14s kicked ass, they move up and take spot in ECNL from the team relegated to ECRL.

And this may be an unpopular statement, but HS soccer is poorly played.

My DD will make up her own mind, but I prefer she not play.
This might be an unpopular statement, but have you seen the quality of club the last few years? Talk about poor play. Yukie!!! After what I saw with the first year of that failed league, I told my dd to do what her little heart desired. They play because they want to have fun. Club has not been fun for most, only for the few. Trust me Happy, i talk to people and they share their true feelings to me. The one's that say everything is just find and dandy got what they paid for, trust me Happy. I know what the hell I'm talking about. Yes Happy, it's all my faught for being such a bad father for talking her back to the so called abuse from the Doc. Yes sir, blame it on the rain and the stupid father.

Alrighty then, looks like 46 took the first shot this morning and his or her reinforcements are ready to attack me again. It thrills me to see how many PMs hate me and like me. 50/50 right baout now. I will never win over those who got what they paid for. Their bought and have to come on here an attack my dd for her decisions as a little girl. Same fools wanted her to make adult decision in 7th grade. This has been going on now for almost three years. Same fellas...lol!! They just can;t get enough me. Listen losers, I will let you have the forum to make fun of my dd dear decisions back when she was 13 and 14. "The Men Who Ruined Socal Soccer" is the title of new documentary.

Chapter 1, scene 1. Date: Sometime in 2010. My goat was playing rec ball and their must have been 10 scouts from all the local Temecula Youth clubs. They came to watch her and many others I might add. She was only 6. We got three business cards that day from two different girl coaches and then one dude in a track suit said he was the guru of the game and the town and he would make my dd the next Mia. I told him to buzz off because he looked odd and sounded like a weirdo. So we went with one of the girl coaches because she was nice and said the girls have bday parties, scavenger hunts, sleep overs and bake cakes, not all about soccer at this place. My dd made new friends and they had so much fun. We didnt win it all that year but my dd was on fire. How you might ask? You will just have to wait until Chapter 2 is written. I will say like 11 docs, scouts and coaches all flocked to the one of the biggest rivalry games ever played in Temecula, over at Birdsall, not Galloway Downs and those fields where gun guy became famous. The big clubs from as far as LA would send their coaches to look for the best in Temecula. The State Cup was where all this took place. It would not be uncommon to get chased down in the parking lot to talk it up about how great my dd was. My gosh, as i look back I should have seen what was coming and now I do :) I might change my avatar again and then vow to never post on here, like ever you guys. Now how does that sound fellas? No more Crush to make fun of. Be careful what you ask for is all I can say.

Last edited:
For the sake of this hypothetical, if we can assume that the average ulittle soccer parent is as game goofy and ignorant regarding soccer development and letter leagues as I was, what makes you think ECNL has elite soccer on lock?

It seems to me that if the GA puts substantial resources into marketing to game goofy ulittle parents that they could potentially compete and be an equivalent alternative or maybe better. The homie @sdb recently put me up on Ankersen. During Ankersen’s presentation he talks about how the folks at Nokia got all comfortable being industry leaders and thought the IPhone was a niche product and they didn’t have anything to worry about...well we all know how this story ends. So how do you know that ECNL is not being overconfident and underestimating GA the same way Nokia underestimated IPhone?
If US Soccer could not sustain as a competitor to ECNL, no one else will. ECNL has been around for over a decade. The top clubs are all in, or moving into, ECNL.

If US Soccer could not sustain as a competitor to ECNL, no one else will. ECNL has been around for over a decade. The top clubs are all in, or moving into, ECNL.
Yay!!!! It's finally done. The top clubs have finally arrived. Yes, we know two of them practically ruined the sport here in socal so their kids could be in the top league with The List. At least ECNL is not saying they control the list like that GDA thing we were forced with because.

If US Soccer had competent leadership, they could have put ECNL on the ropes in the first year. All they had to do was match the rules in ECNL (allow high school soccer, flexible sub rules, etc) and ECNL would have been in trouble. It was smart of ECNL to take advantage of the DA problems and give big incentives to certain clubs (two teams in each age group) to go "All in ECNL". Those clubs might not have left DA without that carrot dangled in front of them regardless of the rules that people didn't like.

One might even say GDA would have never existed had ECNL not given the power of entry to the DOC’s (the one Crush hate so much) who held out key clubs like Legends and Beach.

Crush would have made a great Fiction writer.

If US Soccer had competent leadership, they could have put ECNL on the ropes in the first year. All they had to do was match the rules in ECNL (allow high school soccer, flexible sub rules, etc) and ECNL would have been in trouble. It was smart of ECNL to take advantage of the DA problems and give big incentives to certain clubs (two teams in each age group) to go "All in ECNL". Those clubs might not have left DA without that carrot dangled in front of them regardless of the rules that people didn't like.
It's called a twofer bro. If you do as I say ((a form of blackmail)) then we will give you two. If you dare try and leave, we will steal all your customers by telling them you play kick ball and you can;t afford the new shiny car. And if your a goat looking to leave, well then, you get black listed and all sorts of threats from asshole men who think they control soccer in socal. It was fun watching one dude race around in a food cart selling water & candy the other day at USL....lol!!!

One might even say GDA would have never existed had ECNL not given the power of entry to the DOC’s (the one Crush hate so much) who held out key clubs like Legends and Beach.

Crush would have made a great Fiction writer.
You ruined the sport bro. You and a few others I wont name today. It's all out now. I'm glad you both got what you wanted.

You ruined the sport bro. You and a few others I wont name today. It's all out now. I'm glad you both got what you wanted.
Like I said...Fictional.....

How did I ruin soccer? By staying local, with a small club and doing what was best for my DD’s? By volunteering to be a TM when the team needed someone and making the entire teams life easier? By passing on the offers from other clubs because I felt the time was better spent engaging with friends, school work and off the field training.
Unlike you I didn’t run around running my mouth about how my DD was being recruited and playing Clubs against each other to see who would give her the best deal (don’t think I forgot that conversation at Silverlakes).

You paint the victim picture well (thus the Fictional writer reference), every once in a while I feel obligated to put your stories in check bc they aren’t 100% true (a little spin doctoring to fit your narrative) and others shouldn’t be misled.

Do you find it odd that hundreds of thousands of families were able to navigate the Age Split and the GDA debacle without the same misery?

I dunno about your state or divisions

HS D1-2 in Socal can be pretty competitive with rosters filled with club coaches and players who go on to play D1 in colleges like UCLA, Maryland, Akron, etc.

Club soccer is so dullited that some would say it's "bad" soccer for a lot of the time but with HS at least you can play for your home town with pride as the crowds cheer and possibility raise some banners that will be remembered for years to come.

HS D1-2 in Socal can be pretty competitive with rosters filled with club coaches and players who go on to play D1 in colleges like UCLA, Maryland, Akron, etc.

Club soccer is so dullited that some would say it's "bad" soccer for a lot of the time but with HS at least you can play for your home town with pride as the crowds cheer and possibility raise some banners that will be remembered for years to come.

High school soccer has great players because they were developed by club coaches. You need club to see good talent in certain high school teams. Honestly the road to most should be club soccer until 8th grade. High school soccer for 9-12. The true elite can play ECNL. Eliminate ECRL and everyone else plays high school sports or flight 1/2 level club soccer

Like I said...Fictional.....

How did I ruin soccer? By staying local, with a small club and doing what was best for my DD’s? By volunteering to be a TM when the team needed someone and making the entire teams life easier? By passing on the offers from other clubs because I felt the time was better spent engaging with friends, school work and off the field training.
Unlike you I didn’t run around running my mouth about how my DD was being recruited and playing Clubs against each other to see who would give her the best deal (don’t think I forgot that conversation at Silverlakes).

You paint the victim picture well (thus the Fictional writer reference), every once in a while I feel obligated to put your stories in check bc they aren’t 100% true (a little spin doctoring to fit your narrative) and others shouldn’t be misled.

Do you find it odd that hundreds of thousands of families were able to navigate the Age Split and the GDA debacle without the same misery?
I didnt ask you to explain yourself, but go ahead. It;s nice to see how you share my PMs with the group and then now lie about a conversations we had years ago that you seem to remember so well. Well, so do I. I took notes that day like I always do...lol! Was this before the 04s got their GDA way or before when it was 03 and if 04 had the chops, they could play up, just like April said. I told you it was crazy because her current club wouldnt let her play up, remember that conversation? I then said all these clubs are handing out free handouts and I never knew that was going to happen. The best deal I got was the same deal all the goats got, free!!!

Music to my ears. Nothing like being a local legend. I here we might have a season after all.

Back